Livorno excursions from the pier at the last minute

travellerin1984

Hi!

We are on a cruise which has a stop in Livorno. We have been in Florence, Lucca, Cinque Terre and parts of Tuscany. I remember there has been excursions offers both at the pier and in Livorno. Has anyone more experience about booking a excursion at the pier? We would like to keep it open and decide in the morning what we want to do. Is there a possibility to hire a car at the pier? I remember seeing the big companys at the pier but dont know if they only accept customers who already have made arrangements before?

Thank you for the comments!

I agree with Bruce - I've not seen any tour offers available at the pier in Livorno or any other European port. The tour companies you see at the pier are booked in advance and are awaiting their clients - highly unlikely that you would be able to join at the last minute. However, taxi hire is available at the pier - they usually want fares to destinations other than Livorno train station. So, if you decide where it is that you want to visit, you should be able to hire a taxi to take you there (no guide, just taxi service).

You may be able to hire a tour in the city of Livorno (of course, you would first need transportation from port to town) - I have no knowledge of or experience in booking a tour within the city of Livorno.

Edited by dogs4fun

You are very unlikely to be able to book a tour without pre-booking.

If you don't want to make any plans in advance, take the port shuttle bus to the Livorno tourist information centre then book the 50 minute Canal Cruise around Livorno - an excellent trip and such good value. Then wander around the town - not missing the excellent indoor/outdoor market for a true taste of Tuscany; there are some superb little bars in the indoor market for Coffee or a glass of the local Vino.

Edited by campolady

Thank you! We have been on a couple of cruises which had a stop in Livorno so I am familiar with the procedure to getting to Livorno town. So no car hire either at the pier? I remember seeing signs with Hertz, Avis etc but maybe you have to make arrangements beforehand. Sometimes you dont feel making plans. Especially because we have been travelling quite a lot in the area so would be nice to make a decision in the morning depending the weather and the interests.

If you pre-book your train and the transfers take longer than expected to get to the station and you miss the train time you had book, what happens? Would you need to buy another ticket because its train specific? I want to pre-book (especially when on my 4000 passenger voyage), but unsure if being late would be a problem.

If you pre-book your train and the transfers take longer than expected to get to the station and you miss the train time you had book, what happens? Would you need to buy another ticket because its train specific? I want to pre-book (especially when on my 4000 passenger voyage), but unsure if being late would be a problem.

There is no need to prebook for train travel to Pisa, Florence, Lucca. These trains are usually R (regional) trains and it is easy to purchase your tickets at the train station (either at the ticket counter or use the ticket machines for faster service). If you do prebook and miss your train, you would need to purchase a new ticket.

• Like 1

We took the ships bus to town and went to a tourist information booth. We then booked the canal cruise and Pisa on a coach as one trip it was about five years ago but was very reasonable price wise.

There is no need to prebook for train travel to Pisa, Florence, Lucca. These trains are usually R (regional) trains and it is easy to purchase your tickets at the train station (either at the ticket counter or use the ticket machines for faster service). If you do prebook and miss your train, you would need to purchase a new ticket.

OK, good to know that and brings in a dilema.

Our trip in April is a small ship - I doubt there will be more than 100 making a trip by train, so getting a ticket at the station wont be a problem there and would make sense not to buy before.

The second trip in August, there will be a horde of up to 4000 heading for the station. I'll probably miss the train queueing for the ticket! lol

That does put a different complexion on prebooking - though I wonder if they have an app I could buy tickets on my way - that wont need printing off!

Strange its a specific train only - are you given a seat number? Would you have to buy another ticket if your train was cancelled?

Edited by les37b

OK, good to know that and brings in a dilema.

Our trip in April is a small ship - I doubt there will be more than 100 making a trip by train, so getting a ticket at the station wont be a problem there and would make sense not to buy before.

The second trip in August, there will be a horde of up to 4000 heading for the station. I'll probably miss the train queueing for the ticket! lol

That does put a different complexion on prebooking - though I wonder if they have an app I could buy tickets on my way - that wont need printing off!

Strange its a specific train only - are you given a seat number? Would you have to buy another ticket if your train was cancelled?

Even on a large ship, it's a relatively small proportion who head for the station. On our last visit to Livorno (ship of approximately 2500 passengers) we only had to wait about 5 minutes to buy a train ticket and we were almost the last off the bus. Don't get hung up on pre purchasing a train ticket, it could give you more problems than it solves. Making an early start is your best option in my opinion.

Shore Excursions in Italy

Hello everyone, my name is Katherine (SilentlyPerfect). I am on the NCL Spirit and our ship will be in the Livorno port on June 2nd, 2016 same day and time as the NCL Epic. Wondered if anyone (two-people) would be interested in a private tour of Cinque Terre Tour -- total of 8 people, currently we have 6 signed-up for this tour - 2 from the Epic and 4 from the Spirit. Please contact Monica at Shore Excursions in Italy. E-mail: info@shoreexcursionsinitaly.net -- Monica is awesome and will return your e-mails, I like that about a tour company!

DATE: JUNE 02ND 2016: PORT OF LIVORNO TOUR: "CINQUE TERRE"

SHIP: "NORWEGIAN EPIC"

BOOKED: PAX: 6

AVAILABILITY: PAX 2

RATE: SINCE EURO 82.5 EACH

*Check for this availability under shared excursions

http://www.shoreexcursionsinitaly.net/2/share_a_shore_excursion_3363809.html

Edited by SilentlyPerfect

Hello everyone, my name is Katherine (SilentlyPerfect). I am on the NCL Spirit and our ship will be in the Livorno port on June 2nd, 2016 same day and time as the NCL Epic. Wondered if anyone (two-people) would be interested in a private tour of Cinque Terre Tour -- total of 8 people, currently we have 6 signed-up for this tour - 2 from the Epic and 4 from the Spirit. Please contact Monica at Shore Excursions in Italy. E-mail: info@shoreexcursionsinitaly.net -- Monica is awesome and will return your e-mails, I like that about a tour company!

PLEASE take note that posts soliciting other passengers for shared shore excursions can ONLY be placed on your roll call. (This is explained in a stickie above.)

Because of this, your post will likely be removed shortly by the mods.

You might try posting this on the Norwegian Spirit roll call. You'll probably have better luck there.

Even on a large ship, it's a relatively small proportion who head for the station. On our last visit to Livorno (ship of approximately 2500 passengers) we only had to wait about 5 minutes to buy a train ticket and we were almost the last off the bus. Don't get hung up on pre purchasing a train ticket, it could give you more problems than it solves. Making an early start is your best option in my opinion.

Ok, many thanks.knowing their train service booking means you have to travel on the specific train isn't very helpful.... Just a bit wary of buying tickets at the booth and finding a language barrier.

Reminder for myself..... Make sure I write down a translated request for 2 return tickets from Livorno to Florence, Civitavecchia to St Peters Rome and Sorrento to Pompeii. :D Its reassuring to hear that there wont be queues.

Edited by les37b

Ok, many thanks.knowing their train service booking means you have to travel on the specific train isn't very helpful.... Just a bit wary of buying tickets at the booth and finding a language barrier.

Reminder for myself..... Make sure I write down a translated request for 2 return tickets from Livorno to Florence, Civitavecchia to St Peters Rome and Sorrento to Pompeii. :D Its reassuring to hear that there wont be queues.

There are tickets machines in the stations as well, which will all operate in English (and buying from a machine will probably be faster than going to the window).

Here is a webpage that explains how to use the machine.

There are tickets machines in the stations as well, which will all operate in English (and buying from a machine will probably be faster than going to the window).

Here is a webpage that explains how to use the machine.

That's very helpful, thank you. Another concern removed!

PLEASE take note that posts soliciting other passengers for shared shore excursions can ONLY be placed on your roll call. (This is explained in a stickie above.)

Because of this, your post will likely be removed shortly by the mods.

I am sorry, I am new to all of this on Cruise Critic. I thought because the shared excursion is officially connected to the "Epic" ship, not Spirit, that other people on the Epic ship might be interested. Otherwise, I would of not posted here. Thank-you for the heads-up, I will in the future be more mindful. Love your quote and thank-you for sharing.

SilentlyPerfect

I usually travel throughout Italy by train - was just there again a few months ago & spent over a month in lovely Italy. I have never had a problem purchasing a train ticket - I use the ticket machines. Honestly, it is easy.

R trains do not have assigned seats.

Another thing - if you are planning on traveling from Sorrento, you will not be on Trenatalia trains (ex: Livorno to Florence & Civi to Rome is Trenatalia). The train from Sorrento to Pompeii is the Circumvesuviana. Again, no assigned seats & you can easily purchase your tickets at the Sorrento station or at news stands. Check-out the Rome toolkit for info on the Circumvesuviana:

https://www.rometoolkit.com/naples_visit/naples_circumvesuviana_trains.html

Edited by dogs4fun

Two years ago when we docked in Livorno our "very highly recommended guide" never showed up.

Fortunately, there were quite a few private taxis with signs right at the gangplank offering to take you anywhere.

We settled on a very nice driver who took us to Sienna, San Gimignano and Volterra.

While he lacked in English skills, he more than made up in his wonderful driving. We had a wonderful day, covered a lot of distance and even had lunch in a farm "with a friend of his".

So you can make lemonade out of lemons.

The cost was about $300US

In June 2014 we ported in Livorno with the plan to take the train to Lucca. Inside the port terminal we saw several private taxi drivers offering day trips to Lucca, Florence, etc. I talked to one driver who spoke excellent English and was very friendly. The price was reasonable for a full day to Pisa and Lucca. The taxi was a very nice mini van. We had a great day. The driver did say the number of taxis at the port was limited so if you plan to do this get off the ship early. The drivers are not tour guides but he was similar to what we've had with major transport companies, although maybe not as polished.

I usually travel throughout Italy by train - was just there again a few months ago & spent over a month in lovely Italy. I have never had a problem purchasing a train ticket - I use the ticket machines. Honestly, it is easy.

R trains do not have assigned seats.

Another thing - if you are planning on traveling from Sorrento, you will not be on Trenatalia trains (ex: Livorno to Florence & Civi to Rome is Trenatalia). The train from Sorrento to Pompeii is the Circumvesuviana. Again, no assigned seats & you can easily purchase your tickets at the Sorrento station or at news stands. Check-out the Rome toolkit for info on the Circumvesuviana:

https://www.rometoolkit.com/naples_visit/naples_circumvesuviana_trains.html

Many thanks again, you've been most helpful.

I was aware it was a different train system.... And agree Rome toolkit is a great source of info and highly recommended.

We took the ships bus to town and went to a tourist information booth. We then booked the canal cruise and Pisa on a coach as one trip it was about five years ago but was very reasonable price wise.

Do you remember how much it cost? Anyone else able to do this recently? Interested in going to Pisa for just a bit however the shuttle cost about $12 and the taxi costs €25 then the train cost ant then the same for return there is just me and my son so the $75 ship tour to Pisa isn't much more.

Edited by mattR

Matt, your logic was pretty much the same as mine I think in respect of adding up the costs and coming up with a similar answer.

I've never been, but have 2 trips that dock here and all things being equal, I think I've now worked out what I shall do based on the sound advice received.

My first trip, my ship bearths near the port entrance so no shuttle bus. On this trip there are just two of us, so if I can pair with another couple, we will taxi to the station. 25€ is the max, but it could go as low as 15€ if you negotiate well. We wont pre-book the train as if you miss the one you book, you will pay again! The train costs just under €20 return. On the way back, depending on time, we may walk. Its about 2 miles.... So good to burn some calories!

The second one is on a larger ship so there will be a shuttle. When I was reading through, I also saw the $12 charge mentioned to leave the port to a nearby plazza. It seems there is now a port shuttle that charges 5€ for the return. There are 4 of us on this trip, so a €15 taxi to the station will be our preference if we can manage that. Where it stops, there is a Livorno bus company you can book a coach return for €30 or €38 to include Pisa. You would need to check where its going to on your visit day. Alternatively, a local bus for under €2 will get you to the train station. I will see it I can find the links, though I suspect they are already posted in this thread. The $75 your ship is charging is expensive when you compare, though of course it removes the planning part... Which is part of the fun for me!

Founf the bus link... http://www.livornonow.com/direct_bus_service_from_livorno_to_pisa_and_florence it seems its not flexible like the train and you book specific time trips...

Edited by les37b