Inside Guarantee on Independence...what are the chances?

I have read the Guarantee thread but wondered...

We have booked an inside Guarantee on the Indy in 2 months time and we live in the UK. Worried that us lot over here will get the worst cabins because cruisers stateside can change their cabins....is this true?

Also, I noticed that there were 1/3 more promenade cabins compared to standard insides so is it more likely to get one of those? We like the look of them. Do them block out cabins for guarantees already or do they do it with whats left on the site/booking system?

There are limited OVs left and a crazy amount of Balconies left...would obviously love one of those but the chances are slim right?

Yes I know that if we booked another rate we could have chosen a cabin but we saved £800 ($1200) booking guarantee with a drinks package.

I booked an inside guarantee on independence from Southampton we sail in a few months too. I got assigned a connecting room which im not happy about as we had one before and the noise was terrible. But we have no right to change so wont be booking guarantee again. But i see on here some people luck out with better rooms its the gamble i guess

I have read the Guarantee thread but wondered...

We have booked an inside Guarantee on the Indy in 2 months time and we live in the UK. Worried that us lot over here will get the worst cabins because cruisers stateside can change their cabins....is this true?

Also, I noticed that there were 1/3 more promenade cabins compared to standard insides so is it more likely to get one of those? We like the look of them. Do them block out cabins for guarantees already or do they do it with whats left on the site/booking system?

There are limited OVs left and a crazy amount of Balconies left...would obviously love one of those but the chances are slim right?

Yes I know that if we booked another rate we could have chosen a cabin but we saved £800 ($1200) booking guarantee with a drinks package.

We always book GTYs when available due to the savings that can be made.

We have only had one 'bad' allocation so far and fortunately we got upgraded from that one. On the upside we have also had a couple of upgrades i.e. inside GTY to a Promenade. OV GTY to a balcony.

We have been on deck 2 on Indie without any problems.

The only deck I would not be happy with is 10,under the pool/Windjammer.

If you have a genuine issue onboard you can always ask if there is anything else available in your allocated cabin grade to be moved to.

Just wanted to add that we got more GTY upgrades before we became Pinnacle than since.

Edited by heatherb1958

We've done around 20 guarantee bookings and have done well with most not getting the lowest category possible and have even a few times been upgraded to a higher class of cabins.

It's likely true that those in the UK are at a disadvantage since we in NA. we're Canadian, can change our assigned cabin that may leave the less desirable cabins but what I've found many time is the assignments are done at the same time so if that happens you will get your cabin at the same time as others.

That's appears to be what happened for our current cruise on Anthem. We had a X gty and about 3 weeks prior most of the JS, approx. 16, disappeared and we got assigned a deck six 75% obstructed DO with a lifeboat davit in front. A few days later an 50% obstructed over middle of a lifeboat DO became available and we switched to that cabin. It turned out to be a bad choice as I knew it was over Jamie's and the Two70 café but it turned out to be directly over the service corridor with escalator and elevators from the kitchens below on deck 3 and 4 so was very noisy even late at night and early in the morning. We called GS when it got really bad noise wise.

Also our balcony got sprayed three time, with us on it the first time, by the crew washing the promenade deck below as they were constantly hosing down the underside of the balconies above and the side of the lifeboats and not bothering to check if there were passengers out on their balconies. The next two times we went inside when they were cleaning below our balcony which was on the rear jump section so the lifeboat was only a foot away from the railing and outer panel.. There was a letter stating they were going to clean the balconies the first morning we were on but I'm not including that in the above. This happened on day 3 to 5. After my third trip to GS to complain about the above we were given the deck 10 D1 vacated by the folks who won a available Grand Loft at bingo. We were at that bingo but won in a completely different way. :D

Below is the shot I took after our balcony got sprayed for the third time without warning which was shown to the GS manager. If you have a really bad cabin keep GS aware of your problem as they will record any problems on your account and help out if at all possible. ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=379563&d=1457955678

P3131725a.jpg.da19c545ef4d29fd30c339a01e4f566b.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Regardless when booking from the USA or the UK, one should never expect a cabin higher than the garaurntee category. The reason for booking should be solely for the cost savings and not because you're betting your going to get a cabin category better than the guarantee you booked. Guarantees are always a roll of the dice.

We always book GTYs when available due to the savings that can be made.

We have only had one 'bad' allocation so far and fortunately we got upgraded from that one. On the upside we have also had a couple of upgrades i.e. inside GTY to a Promenade. OV GTY to a balcony.

We have been on deck 2 on Indie without any problems.

If you have a genuine issue onboard you can always ask if there is anything else available in your allocated cabin grade to be moved to.

Just wanted to add that we got more GTY upgrades before we became Pinnacle than since.

We will be in a Grand Suite on Deck 10. I have not read any complaints about noise from the pool area. As far as those cabins being under the WJ, it should be noted that the WJ is not usually open during sleeping hours. ;-)

...Guarantees are always a roll of the dice.
Yep - figure out the absolute worst cabin (in your opinion) that you could get in your guarantee class. Are you "okay" with that cabin? If so, go for it; if not, don't do a GTY. I have gotten several ocean views from a Z inside GTY and ONE (and only one) balcony:), but usually I've gotten that "okay" inside. I'm happy with the money I've saved; bed and food were the same as most people on the ship.

Thom

Regardless when booking from the USA or the UK, one should never expect a cabin higher than the garaurntee category. The reason for booking should be solely for the cost savings and not because you're betting your going to get a cabin category better than the guarantee you booked. Guarantees are always a roll of the dice.

ditto!

M

You should never book a GTY if you're not going to be satisfied with the lowest of that category and at the worst imaginable cabin there is. Whatever money you saved with booking GTY it's not worth it if you're not happy with it.

If you like a specific room(type) or location then book that room

It's a gamble but that's what you choose to pay for and saved money while doing this.

With GTY you can always dream that you get an upgrade it does happen......

Most likely is that the you get what you paid for (incl the not so good cabin spot because of noise or what so ever because that's what you paid for).

Stateside people can change but then there have to be an open stateroom in that cat. If not they can't change their room.

They don't block out rooms beforehand they give you the left overs or even upgrade somebody else to a better cat or to a better location and give you their room .

I booked an inside guarantee on independence from Southampton we sail in a few months too. I got assigned a connecting room which im not happy about as we had one before and the noise was terrible. But we have no right to change so wont be booking guarantee again. But i see on here some people luck out with better rooms its the gamble i guess

For you it's the same:

You should never book a GTY if you're not going to be satisfied with the lowest of that category and at the worst imaginable cabin there is (in your case the connecting rooms).

Whatever money you saved with booking GTY it's not worth it if you're not happy with it.

If you like a specific room(type) or location then book that room

It's a gamble but that's what you choose to pay for and saved money while doing this.

Got assigned my cabin

A high deck (deck 9) inside surrounded by other cabins (quiet)and not connected to other rooms.

Its not a promenade but as insides go...it seems to be a pretty good one...just up 2 flights of stairs to the Lido!

Glad I saved my money.

Got assigned my cabin

A high deck (deck 9) inside surrounded by other cabins (quiet)and not connected to other rooms.

Its not a promenade but as insides go...it seems to be a pretty good one...just up 2 flights of stairs to the Lido!

Glad I saved my money.

I think you got an excellent location! No connections and deck 9 are what I'd be looking for.

I know you've received your assignment and this is no longer an issue for yout, but I've seen this mentioned a lot lately, and I want to address this for others who may be "worried" about it.

While those booked in North America can change rooms within the same category after they've been assigned, keep in mind that we can ONLY change to an already available room. It's not like I can "bump" you from your room because I like yours better than mine... once your room is assigned, that's your room.

Likewise, there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to when assignments are made. There isn't some grand conspiracy at Royal where rooms are assigned to all North American bookings first, with several months of waiting while people play a stateroom version of the "musical chairs game" so that only the crappiest of all crappy rooms are left, and THEN those leftover crappy rooms are assigned to UK/AUS/EU bookings.

Furthermore, what makes a room "bad" is extremely subjective. Some prefer to be near the elevators for less walking distance; others prefer to be farther from elevators for less noise/traffic by their door. Some prefer to be up high for convenience to pool decks; others prefer to be down low for convenience to entertainment/dining/Promenade. Some prefer to be midship for decreased motion; others prefer to be fore or aft so they can be rocked to sleep. Some prefer a non-connecting room for less chance of noise from the neighboring cabin; others prefer a connecting room because the shorter couch allows for more floorspace in the room. Your "crappy" room might be someone else's "preferred" location, and vice versa.

There is no one stateroom on any ship that is "the worst possible assignment". And there is no conspiracy to make sure that certain populations get "the worst possible assignment". The GTY category is just like playing the lottery -- random.

we in NA. we're Canadian, can change our assigned cabin that may leave the less desirable cabins but what I've found many time is the assignments are done at the same time so if that happens you will get your cabin at the same time as others.

attachment.php?attachmentid=379563&d=1457955678

How do you change a GYT cabin assignment without re booking?

I know you've received your assignment and this is no longer an issue for yout, but I've seen this mentioned a lot lately, and I want to address this for others who may be "worried" about it.

While those booked in North America can change rooms within the same category after they've been assigned, keep in mind that we can ONLY change to an already available room. It's not like I can "bump" you from your room because I like yours better than mine... once your room is assigned, that's your room.

Likewise, there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to when assignments are made. There isn't some grand conspiracy at Royal where rooms are assigned to all North American bookings first, with several months of waiting while people play a stateroom version of the "musical chairs game" so that only the crappiest of all crappy rooms are left, and THEN those leftover crappy rooms are assigned to UK/AUS/EU bookings.

Furthermore, what makes a room "bad" is extremely subjective. Some prefer to be near the elevators for less walking distance; others prefer to be farther from elevators for less noise/traffic by their door. Some prefer to be up high for convenience to pool decks; others prefer to be down low for convenience to entertainment/dining/Promenade. Some prefer to be midship for decreased motion; others prefer to be fore or aft so they can be rocked to sleep. Some prefer a non-connecting room for less chance of noise from the neighboring cabin; others prefer a connecting room because the shorter couch allows for more floorspace in the room. Your "crappy" room might be someone else's "preferred" location, and vice versa.

There is no one stateroom on any ship that is "the worst possible assignment". And there is no conspiracy to make sure that certain populations get "the worst possible assignment". The GTY category is just like playing the lottery -- random.

Post of the week award. :D

Contact whoever booked your cruise and ask to change your stateroom.

I booked a GYT on RCI website do I just call the reservation number? Seems strange that with booking a GYT you can ask for a different room.

I booked a GYT on RCI website do I just call the reservation number? Seems strange that with booking a GYT you can ask for a different room.

If you are a member of C&A, I'd call that number: 800-526-9723.

We had connecting rooms on Deck 10 under the pool and heard absolutely no noise from above (our party had both of the connecting rooms and kept the door open so I can't comment on whether or not you can hear noise from the connecting room. I assume it depends on who is in the connecting room). We loved the location as we didn't need to wait for the elevators or take a lot of stairs to get to the Windjammer or pool (the places we spend a good amount of time).

We will be in a Grand Suite on Deck 10. I have not read any complaints about noise from the pool area. As far as those cabins being under the WJ, it should be noted that the WJ is not usually open during sleeping hours. ;-)

The WJ may not be open but there can be activity and noise due to cleaning and/prep work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk