Promenade Koningsdam

sheba2008

I just wondering how the promenade will be looking on the Koningsdam.

I love to sit in the chairs on the promenade deck on the others ships of HAL.

Pfff I've seen foto's of the Koningsdam, no sitting on promenade deck :(

I have 2 cruises booked in november and december, by this time I hope to have some input on the promenadedeck.

If I can't sit there I will be really disapointed, I need to find another quiet place. What about you?

Thanks

From what I have seen so far, I have the same concern that there won't be a promenade deck to lounge on and enjoy the sea. If true, it's going to be a shame, and a long ride across the Atlantic in October without a place to sit outside and enjoy. :(

Hoping beyond hope here that we are wrong on this.

It appears many of us are going to be disappointed HAL has chosen to eliminate their signature feature of wrap around Promenade Decks. They are so well loved and enjoyed but that seems to be secondary.

It appears many of us are going to be disappointed HAL has chosen to eliminate their signature feature of wrap around Promenade Decks. They are so well loved and enjoyed but that seems to be secondary.

There is a full wraparound promenade. It is narrower, and has lifeboat obstructions in parts, but there is still a complete promenade.

It was my understanding that the change to the Promenade Deck was necessitated by changes to lifeboats and SOLAS requirements. I applaud HAL for keeping the full warp-around deck as in-tact as possible. It would be nice to have the traditional HAL promenade deck, but I doubt they would eliminate another deck of possible revenue space or balcony cabins to be able to have both.

I haven't sailed on the Koningsdam yet, so I am willing to reserve judgment until I do. But I think the ship's designers were trying to keep the traditional feel and still be compliant with new regulations.

There are the same complaints about the Regal and Royal Princess regarding the lack of a proper promenade deck. Their promenades don't even wrap around - they run forward to back and then stop. To get to the other side you have to go inside and cross over. We like to sit out on the promenade and watch the waves, so when we booked on the Regal we were worried how that promenade would affect our enjoyment of the cruise.

Well we worried needlessly. Those ships do have sitting areas on both sides of the promenade deck, midship and aft. We spent many pleasant hours out there. What surprised us was that those areas were mostly under-used. We never had any trouble finding seating out there.

I am hoping that the Koningsdam will have similar sitting areas out on the promenade deck. I can't really tell from the photos I have seen, but fingers crossed!

Having only been on X where the promenade was similar to what is described above, can I ask what the problem/difference is?

For those who like to sit there you still can? It's just not as wide?

For those who like to walk, isn't there a full walking track on the deck above the pool?

Also why can't you sit on one of the top decks or crows nest?

These are genuine questions not cynical observations. Do not want to offend anybody

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I am hoping that the Koningsdam will have similar sitting areas out on the promenade deck.

From your lips to Seattle's ears! Although what you posted about how it is on other ships gives hope. Thanks for that.

... can I ask what the problem/difference is?

Also why can't you sit on one of the top decks or crows nest?

Answering for myself only---

I like to sit outdoors, sheltered from the rain, in the shade, close to the sea, breathing the fresh air. I want to watch the detail of the wave patterns and smell the salt water. I like to see the birds flying low, and the fish skimming the surface. This can't be done from on high.

I do not want to be up on some high deck, especially don't want to be in the sun, and do want to sit on a lounger facing out, not looking at a pool and not at a table w/chair.

The top decks and/or the Crow's Nest do not make it for me.

Found these on the web. No room for loungers next to lifeboats. On Koningsdam, the deck plans show the promenade forward and aft of the life boats as even narrower than along side them. :eek:

These certainly aren't "step in" lifeboats ... so why would they be any easier to load than ones that have to be lowered to deck level as on all HAL ships prior to K'dam?

Celebrity Eclipse:

DSC_0020-3.jpg

Celebrity Silhouette:

A29.JPG

Edited by jtl513

I like to sit outdoors, sheltered from the rain, in the shade, close to the sea, breathing the fresh air. I want to watch the detail of the wave patterns and smell the salt water. I like to see the birds flying low, and the fish skimming the surface. This can't be done from on high.

I do not want to be up on some high deck, especially don't want to be in the sun, and do want to sit on a lounger facing out, not looking at a pool and not at a table w/chair.

The top decks and/or the Crow's Nest do not make it for me.

Thanks Ruth, makes complete sense. Hopefully in the future I will experience what you describe

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I .

Ruth,

You are describing what I call 'perfect cruising'!

Stephen

Ruth,

You are describing what I call 'perfect cruising'!

Stephen

Isn't it! :D It's fun to figure out the patterns of swells, like low, low, high---or whatever, and try to predict which swell will be the next high one. I love to "see" the wind catch the top of the waves and create a little white cap---but only sometimes. A great way to spend an entire "work" day!

Oh, and read a little bit. Or nap a little bit, too. ;)

Found these on the web. No room for loungers next to lifeboats. On Koningsdam, the deck plans show the promenade forward and aft of the life boats as even narrower than along side them. :eek:

These certainly aren't "step in" lifeboats ... so why would they be any easier to load than ones that have to be lowered to deck level as on all HAL ships prior to K'dam?

QUOTE]

Most definitely not 'step in'. They will still need to be 'turned out' and then lowered and then bowsed-in to be made ready for embarkation.

Might be faster from a higher level... might save an extra ten seconds.

The davits now are very similar in design and use from at least one old famous passenger ship.

Also a photo from KONINGDAM Prom Deck. Pretty much as the X ships. The boat is slightly higher... and extra foot perhaps. Won't change much to the view.

My disappointment is that the new style makes a rather ugly area. Nothing to sea on one side and blank bulkheads everywhere else. Pity.

464722765_TITANICLifeboatDeck.jpg.cbb5acda1d30047a15dca3af5265b6a6.jpg

1325636752_koningsdam29.jpglifeboatdeck.jpg.478c8d66d9210f2dca122b07b0a38b32.jpg

Disappointed

Try not to be disappointed. Remember, if you have lemons... make lemonades!

If that open prom deck is not that great... I have a feeling the Grand Dutch is going to be a popular spot for sure. Inside.... temperature controlled, no wind, no rain, likely quiet.... and probably better coffee than anywhere else.. PLUS... the bitterballen and Heineken with a Genever!

I'm confident is all about bottom line. I current lifeboat configuration there is a big part of one deck with obstructed view cabins. These cabins are obviously not "prime" real estate and usually are deeply discounted or "gifted" to those on a guarantee.

Koningsdam config (like many other lines) allows unobstructed views from all cabins.

I got an email this morning advertising "introductory season" Europe Koningsdam pricing for 14 days starting at $999. With prices like this they really need to maximize revenue potential. Open promenades are wonderful but at the cost of deeply discounted staterooms due to obstructed view seems logical which would win.

Edited by frankc98376

But I think the ship's designers were trying to keep the traditional feel ...
Well, they failed miserably. :mad: This is not a "promenade" IMHO, just a lifeboat deck. Edited by catl331

Well, they failed miserably. :mad: This is not a "promenade" IMHO, just a lifeboat deck.

It is definitely a promenade. That just means a space where you can walk alongside a body of water.

This is exactly that.

I haven't been on Hal before so can't compare it but I like what it looks like in the photos and looking forward to our voyage
This is what a real HAL promenade deck looks like:

zuidprom.jpg

Edited by catl331

It is definitely a promenade. That just means a space where you can walk alongside a body of water.

This is exactly that.

Not just a space to walk but a continuous walking space that circles the ship. I'll get a first hand impression in February but look forward to trying it out. I think I'll be happy to do my lounging on the upper decks.

Roy