Regent Dress Code and Cabins - What's the real deal?

Suite Travels...Just saw this thread and wanted to make a comment. "I just adore well dressed men". You get it..and I am an Hermes woman. There is just something about the feel of the fabric when you realize you cannot go back ;-)

Versace and Hugo Boss for me and other Italian clothes. Love Hermes on a lady.

Hi Montana Skies (Billings MT), from Jim B (Miles City MT)

Have any Regent Cruises planned??

Yep. Barcelona to Rome 4/13 - 4/23. This is our first Regent cruise. Itinerary and dates just fit. We've only cruised twice before- both on Oceania; up the Amazon n 2014, and around Great Britain in 2015. We went once on a RCL in the Carribean with a Lewis Black comedy group in 2010.

Happy to see a Montana poster! I am in Billings, and get to Miles City frequently on business (I'm a lawyer, and have much business in that part of the state).

Versace and Hugo Boss for me and other Italian clothes. Love Hermes on a lady.

Hey what is wrong with Kirkland clothes from Costco? And what about those Tommy Bahama knockoffs for 90% off? Target and Wal Mart also have great deals.

Marc

I always love to see the mental gymnastics people go through to reach the conclusion that somehow in something other than price a $200 pair of jeans is superior to a $50 pair of jeans. Especially when the jeans in question are usually so distressed from the factory they look as if they were taken out of a dumpster. That being said, I can't recall the ever seeing anyone turned away on Regent due to a dress code violation. Even the guy in stinky sweat pants and a sweat stained shirt.

...I can't recall the ever seeing anyone turned away on Regent due to a dress code violation. Even the guy in stinky sweat pants and a sweat stained shirt.

I can say that I have seen people asked to leave the lounges and denied entry to CR for jeans or shorts. I have also on occasion seen people in shorts or jeans in CR or other venues. I always put that down to lost luggage or late returns from excursions.

I've been greatly entertained by this thread on dress code. Three years ago we were on Mariner and because of a late returning shore trip and an existing arrangement to meet fellow cruisers I was in one of the bars just after 6.00pm wearing 3/4 length trousers and a cotton jersey, short sleeved top. I was asked to leave as my top was deemed to be a t-shirt. On the same cruise, there were several occasions when I saw young girls in jeans in Compass Rose in the evening. I have also seen gentlemen (?) walking around the ship in the evening wearing shorts. A fairly inconsistent dress code methinks.

I've been greatly entertained by this thread on dress code. Three years ago we were on Mariner and because of a late returning shore trip and an existing arrangement to meet fellow cruisers I was in one of the bars just after 6.00pm wearing 3/4 length trousers and a cotton jersey, short sleeved top. I was asked to leave as my top was deemed to be a t-shirt. On the same cruise, there were several occasions when I saw young girls in jeans in Compass Rose in the evening. I have also seen gentlemen (?) walking around the ship in the evening wearing shorts. A fairly inconsistent dress code methinks.

I tend to agree with you regarding this. On one of our cruises there was a gentlemen who wore navy sweatpants, a white t-shirt and slippers to dinner every evening - one night we complained and were told there was nothing they could do. We have seen women wear white capri jeans to dinner and not be told to leave. The dress code is very selectively enforced.

gnomie :)

The code may be selectively enforced, but I believe 97+% of the passengers follow it. Sweat pants/shorts/jeans after 6:00 pm in the public areas are, in my experience, quite unusual with the possible exception of situations with late returning excursions. It is so much easier just to follow the code, rather than get into discussions as to whether your fancy jeans are nicer than my khakis.

Having only sailed Seabourn and Celebrity in the past few years this thread is actually quite shocking to me! We're planning on sailing the Mariner in Alaska in two months and I'd just assumed my husband would wear suits every night-- as former NYers who live in Los Angeles, we relish the opportunity to dress up and miss when formal nights were standard. Alas, I will probably dress up anyway, but I don't want him to feel completely out of place... are there gentleman who wear suits regularly or is going to stand out like the lawyer in a room full of entertainment executives?

Also, my father in law (who will also be travelling with us) is a retired professor and dresses like one. My mother in law will be doing his packing, so we can keep him in line, but I would appreciate knowing what to tell her to pack-- slacks, dress shirts and sport coats with a couple polo shirts in case we return late from shore ex and don't have much time to dress? There was a lot insults traded about khaki slacks and polos, but it seems like it's what people actually wear?

Yes, the jeans thing will start a storm...Look we just came off the 21 day one Rio to Miami and after 6pm - no jeans in site. Sorry my friend it is just the way it is. Personally I would rather be in track pants, but that is even worse. I wore a decent pair of pants that are breathable material that we found in stock at the local Sears store, must have cost me a whole 40 bucks a pair. They are dressy, came in 4 colours and packed without wrinkles.

Don't try to be a rebel, just go with the flow...I hate tuxedos and would not be caught dead in one..well maybe dead...anyway on the 2 formal nights we had (optional formal) there were a number of tuxs, lots of dark suits, even more dressy shirts (no jackets) and a couple clothes challenged guys like me who wore a nice shirt and dress sweater.

It is what it is.

JennAngel9 - guess I should have mentioned this in my review...lots of guys wore suits every night, some of them really nice suits others that looked like rejects from WKRP, did not stop anybody and no-one that I saw passed judgement...but no-one wore jeans or jean similar ones either.

Now I will admit, that most folks dressed up a bit more for Signatures and Prime7..

Edited by drcandon

I asked a simple question about dress codes and it has started a S### storm. Look, before I get off this horse let me say my wife and I have no desire to dress and act like Mr. And Mrs. Thurston Howell III from Gilligan's Island because I'm on a Regent cruise. I get that it is an upper class, first cabin cruise and not a party Love Boat outfit. That is why I booked a Penthouse. But what I and others were simply making a point, "dress jeans" that we speak of are not faded Levis, they are not rock star jeans with custom holes in the knees. They are very expensive, soft, custom tailored denim material that make Dockers look like gym shorts, sweat pants, etc. others refer to. I have a dozen of them in my closet and they cost around $200 a pair. Those pants with a nice collard shirt and (optional) blazer, I guarantee you would put anyone with Dockers and a Polo shirt in a different game. But Geez, the comments made to "leave your jeans at home, this is a Regent cruise," etc, is a bit over the top. To paraphrase what someone just posted, "If I were to judge Regent based on these posts, I'd be turned off." Sheesh, I will go buy a $50 pair of Dockers so I can dress for success and "fit in" with the elites who think that is dressing up. But I am also going to bring a couple pair of my dreaded "dress jeans," and if they are allowed, I'm going to wear them. You can't miss me, I'll be the tall and handsome lad wearing a beautiful and COMFORTABLE pair of dark blue or black denims, a white collard shirt and blue blazer sipping a Grey Goose martini, feeling good, looking good and enjoying myself with my beautiful wife, having a blast with my best friend and her boyfriend, Living Life Large. I won't be calling my wife "Lovey" and she won't be calling me "Poopsy." So let's move on, we are all going to have a great time, a great cruise a great experience. Drinks are on me.

Feeling so poorly here, nursing a head cold, this did make me chuckle :)

Should my husband take one of his black suits on our cruise next month? He was going to leave it at home as it takes up valuable case space and weight, we have a flight to consider.

Should my husband take one of his black suits on our cruise next month? He was going to leave it at home as it takes up valuable case space and weight, we have a flight to consider.

Do you have any 'formal optional' evenings on your cruise? If not then my opinion is to forget the suit.

If you do have one or more 'formal optional' nights then it is very much a personal choice as to what you and your husband feel comfortable with; he could either wear the suit, a jacket/blazer or just a collared shirt and trousers.

Good advice Flossie, we didn't have any formal dinners but most of the men wore long sleeved shirts and smart trousers. We did know on our last cruise in September that there were a lot of suitcases that had been mislaid therefore there were people that weren't (properly) dresses for dinner. ( I felt so sorry for them)

On an off topic subject. I would be very happy if Gnomie! would give you & liptastic my e-mail address.

That's only if you are happy to do so Gnomie.

Pam.

Feeling so poorly here, nursing a head cold, this did make me chuckle :)

Glad you got a chuckle, it was meant to do so. I've decided to break out a pair of my monogrammed hospital scrubs, perhaps a pair of wing tips and a blue blazer to fit in. Haven't decided if I should wear a monocle accompanied by a 12" cigarette holder and faux candy cigarette or wear my joke Groucho Marx glasses with eyebrows, large nose and mustache with unlit cigar (I don't smoke). "That's the most ridiculous thing I've evea hoid." Reminds me of an episode of MASH where Alan Alda did a mean Groucho in the OR and post-Op, I still chuckle at that.

Fear not my fellow swabbies, I have several pairs of slacks and Tommy Bahama dress pants at the ready. I was fitted last Thursday for three custom dress shirts, they should be ready in six weeks just in time to set sail. I will conform to the rules, I always do. I will not lead a clothing mutiny to force change for fear of waking up in the bowels of the ship sitting next to Charlston Heston, rowing for a week. But I shall smuggle one pair of dress denims on-board, just in case. Yo ho, yo ho it's a pirates life for me. All the best to all, cheers, have a wonderful day, and smile. Life's too short to wear a tux, I'm Living Life Large. :):D:eek::):cool:

Glad you got a chuckle, it was meant to do so. I've decided to break out a pair of my monogrammed hospital scrubs, perhaps a pair of wing tips and a blue blazer to fit in. Haven't decided if I should wear a monocle accompanied by a 12" cigarette holder and faux candy cigarette or wear my joke Groucho Marx glasses with eyebrows, large nose and mustache with unlit cigar (I don't smoke). "That's the most ridiculous thing I've evea hoid." Reminds me of an episode of MASH where Alan Alda did a mean Groucho in the OR and post-Op, I still chuckle at that.

Fear not my fellow swabbies, I have several pairs of slacks and Tommy Bahama dress pants at the ready. I was fitted last Thursday for three custom dress shirts, they should be ready in six weeks just in time to set sail. I will conform to the rules, I always do. I will not lead a clothing mutiny to force change for fear of waking up in the bowels of the ship sitting next to Charlston Heston, rowing for a week. But I shall smuggle one pair of dress denims on-board, just in case. Yo ho, yo ho it's a pirates life for me. All the best to all, cheers, have a wonderful day, and smile. Life's too short to wear a tux, I'm Living Life Large. :):D:eek::):cool:

Ha ha, i loved Mash, Alan Alda's character was brilliant, you should just go for it!

I do like to observe peoples dress choice, even if not quite to the code expected. There is always one that stands out in the crowd.

I dont know if there is any sort of formal on our cruise, I don't think so. I think his nibs will take smart black trousers and nice shirts and ties for evening.

I asked a simple question about dress codes and it has started a S### storm. Look, before I get off this horse let me say my wife and I have no desire to dress and act like Mr. And Mrs. Thurston Howell III from Gilligan's Island because I'm on a Regent cruise. I get that it is an upper class, first cabin cruise and not a party Love Boat outfit. That is why I booked a Penthouse. But what I and others were simply making a point, "dress jeans" that we speak of are not faded Levis, they are not rock star jeans with custom holes in the knees. They are very expensive, soft, custom tailored denim material that make Dockers look like gym shorts, sweat pants, etc. others refer to. I have a dozen of them in my closet and they cost around $200 a pair. Those pants with a nice collard shirt and (optional) blazer, I guarantee you would put anyone with Dockers and a Polo shirt in a different game. But Geez, the comments made to "leave your jeans at home, this is a Regent cruise," etc, is a bit over the top. To paraphrase what someone just posted, "If I were to judge Regent based on these posts, I'd be turned off." Sheesh, I will go buy a $50 pair of Dockers so I can dress for success and "fit in" with the elites who think that is dressing up. But I am also going to bring a couple pair of my dreaded "dress jeans," and if they are allowed, I'm going to wear them. You can't miss me, I'll be the tall and handsome lad wearing a beautiful and COMFORTABLE pair of dark blue or black denims, a white collard shirt and blue blazer sipping a Grey Goose martini, feeling good, looking good and enjoying myself with my beautiful wife, having a blast with my best friend and her boyfriend, Living Life Large. I won't be calling my wife "Lovey" and she won't be calling me "Poopsy." So let's move on, we are all going to have a great time, a great cruise a great experience. Drinks are on me.

We are also doing Alaska in May. I can GUARANTEE you that there will be people dressed

more elegant than you AND more casual than you.

We have cruised on all the cruise lines and bottom line...that is now the case.

Society has changed greatly and the clientele that cruise also.

Some miss the formal days of tuxes & gowns for ALL...but they are gone.

On all cruises we still see some gents with tuxes...and at the same venues...dress jeans.

On one cruise we were at a shared dinner table discussing how the dress codes had gone downhill and that people ignored what was posted. I thought the discussion had gone well until at the end, one couple got up to excuse themselves. The man was wearing shorts !

Oh well !

Ok on the evening dress jeans not allowed. So Dockers or similar pants are acceptable? After years of suit and tie being my daily wear before retirement, I loath the thought. I retired at 54 and haven't worn anything such since, I don't mind a sports coat and a tie if I really have to, but I traded my dress slacks for very nice, custom tailored denims (not jeans). However, I will go with the flow and force myself to buy some Dockers if that works. Thank you all for your help, rock on.

Greetings, Living Life Large. i live on South Beach, Miami Beach, and I have never heard of Dockers. What are they? Thanks in advance for the info.

Mary