Closet/Over the Door Organizer - Worthwhile?

There will be 4 of us staying in a Promenade cabin on Allure.

Dh barely has any toiletries. My 2 kids don't have too much. I usually have about 3 or 4 toiletry bags. And of course, we'll have stuff like suntan lotion.

I've heard people mention that they bring closet organizers to hold stuff. I do have some hanging in my closet at home (that holds things like extra medicine, bandaids, etc. The one that I have basically is a hanger at the top with the material hanging down with separated pockets.

Is this what people bring? And is it actually useful? I don't get where you would store it in the washroom since hanging it on the door would get annoying every time you want to open and close it (if that's even an option as the thing is wide and I know the washroom is tiny)

Edited by LuCruise

We've cruised many times and always use our organizer. We usually place it on the outside of the bathroom door. It does keep the door from closing fully. However, it is invaluable for keeping the cabin organized.

Hi,

We have sailed on the Allure twice and have not used the over the door hanger. There are plenty of shelves in the bathroom of the Allure.

The Allure is one of my favorite ships!

Hi,

We have sailed on the Allure twice and have not used the over the door hanger. There are plenty of shelves in the bathroom of the Allure.

The Allure is one of my favorite ships!

This is good to know. So there is shelf space? I don't need to unpack every toiletry bag...just common items and then rest can be kept in the bag.

It's funny as I've seen people post pictures but I didn't pay enough attention at the time (but am thinking about it now as I'm starting to get organized and pack)

We brought once once when there where 4 of us in the cabin. It was so great to have and I would recommend it; however, it was annoying hanging on the bathroom door. Since then, there have only been two of us in a cabin and have not needed it.

I've never traveled with four in a cabin, but as others have said, I can't imagine giving up the luggage space for something like that. And as you noted, it would be annoying on the bathroom or closet door and could be in the way. There is quite a bit of storage in the cabin. Some is well hidden, ask the room steward if you need help finding. HINT: look behind every mirror!

I know others feel the organizer is invaluable to them, but I just don't see it. Then again, others may question my cruise binder, with pocket folders for each set of documents (airline, hotel, cruise, each port of call) which I consider indispensable! :D

Edited by printingchick

I use mine on every vacation. I can't live without mine. It folds up nicely and doesn't take up much suitcase space. It was great on the cruise since I hung it on the back of the bathroom door I could just reach in there while I was taking my shower and left the shower shelves for hubby. But I have a lot of toiletries!

Edited by Beachiekeen

I've never traveled with four in a cabin, but as others have said, I can't imagine giving up the luggage space for something like that. And as you noted, it would be annoying on the bathroom or closet door and could be in the way. There is quite a bit of storage in the cabin. Some is well hidden, ask the room steward if you need help finding. HINT: look behind every mirror!

I know others feel the organizer is invaluable to them, but I just don't see it. Then again, others may question my cruise binder, with pocket folders for each set of documents (airline, hotel, cruise, each port of call) which I consider indispensable! :D

We found it useful when our son was younger for storing in plain sight a multitude of things like sunglasses, gameboy, phone chargers, sunblock - all the things that clutter up a flat surface, but cause havoc when stuffed in a drawer and can't be found INSTANTLY. I don't recall it interfering with the closing of the bathroom door. For us, it was never about the toiletries, it was the "stuff."

I still get a thrill remembering my first solo cruise as an "Mom on holiday." The only "stuff" was mine - and the cabin was always neat. Nirvana!

We found it useful when our son was younger for storing in plain sight a multitude of things like sunglasses, gameboy, phone chargers, sunblock - all the things that clutter up a flat surface, but cause havoc when stuffed in a drawer and can't be found INSTANTLY. I don't recall it interfering with the closing of the bathroom door. For us, it was never about the toiletries, it was the "stuff."

I still get a thrill remembering my first solo cruise as an "Mom on holiday." The only "stuff" was mine - and the cabin was always neat. Nirvana!

You beat me to it! We used it for lots of different things just to keep clutter off the counter tops. I haven't been in a promenade on the Allure but we had one on the Explorer class. It seemed so small to me and we only had two of us on that trip. I also think they don't take up that much space as it folds pretty flat.

We've used ours when only 2 in the cabin. Everything is in view (We use the clear pocket kind). I put hand sanitizers in one, band aids, toiletries, sunscreen, bug spray, one use Tide packets, bonine. You get the picture. Sure there is storage available, but then, where did I put what? I usually use the 'desk' for my travel papers and the highlighter.

I bought a cheap organizer that lives on the bottom of my suitcase taking up zero room. I hang it on the inside of the bathroom door and it doesn't interfere at all with opening and shutting the door. We keep toiletries like shampoo in It, cosmetics, sun block, meds we hope not to need like NyQuil and DayQuil, duct tape, evening bag, and whatever other junk we being. It keeps the bathroom and the vanity drawers neat and makes it easier to find things. I hate to put things into the drawers and then can't remember which drawer to look in. You people who can pack simply and not have "stuff" to worry about are lucky. One of us will inevitably get congested or start a sore throat, a blister or something not worth going to the infirmary for.

Whatever floats everybody's boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

YES YES YES they are very worth it. I never leave home without mine and there's just DH and me! All the slots end up full with our stuff. It folds up flat and takes up no room in our suitcase. When I first bought it, DH laughed and said he'd never put his stuff in it. Yeah right - now he's the first to unload his toiletries into it!

Yes, absolutely a good idea. Be sure that it has CLEAR pockets, or that cancels the efficiency.

Those pockets can hold almost anything. (not just toiletries) As others have stated, you can put phones, chargers, sun block, lanyards, jewelry, even SHOES in those pockets!

Instantly visible, yet out of the way.

Dh barely has any toiletries. My 2 kids don't have too much. I usually have about 3 or 4 toiletry bags. And of course, we'll have stuff like suntan lotion.

I've heard people mention that they bring closet organizers to hold stuff. I do have some hanging in my closet at home (that holds things like extra medicine, bandaids, etc. The one that I have basically is a hanger at the top with the material hanging down with separated pockets.

Is this what people bring? And is it actually useful? I don't get where you would store it in the washroom since hanging it on the door would get annoying every time you want to open and close it (if that's even an option as the thing is wide and I know the washroom is tiny)

We put ours on the outside of the washroom door - we didn't use it to store toiletries but other "stuff". With 4 people - it makes a handy place to put everything - especially things that more than one person might use - like bandaids, or hand sanitizer. It seemed really useful when my kids were younger - getting them in the habit of putting stuff back in the pockets as soon as they walked in the room meant things stayed neater and we never had to look for stuff. The clear plastic is the best - everyone can see the stuff and no one has to ask Mom where something is ;) I think ours is really a shoe organizer.

The only time we used it, and was glad we had it, was when we had more than 2 in the cabin. We put it on the outside of the bathroom door and used it for all kinds of stuff. Do you NEED it, in my opinion no, but it did make things much better with all of us in the cabin. They fold down real small so not a big thing to take. Why not try it out and see if it is useful for you.

I had tried using these years ago, thinking what a great idea. But I'm kind of a neat freak and like everything in its place and not in sight. I find cruiseships have plenty of bathroom cabinet space for all of my toiletries. Most ships have three shelves in their bathroom cabinet. I put all the shared toiletries on the bottom and then split the other shelves for individual items. Put the toothbrushes in one of the cups and we are good to go. I do not have to look at the unsightly organizer hanging from the door and I'm able to close the bathroom door (usually you cannot close the door with the organizer hanging on it. I've been on some rocky ships too and rarely, if ever, has anything fallen over.

Yes, absolutely a good idea. Be sure that it has CLEAR pockets, or that cancels the efficiency.

Those pockets can hold almost anything. (not just toiletries) As others have stated, you can put phones, chargers, sun block, lanyards, jewelry, even SHOES in those pockets!

Instantly visible, yet out of the way.

Thank you for all the great responses. I've read all, but the above post brings up a good point that a bunch of you commented on....that it can be used for things other than toiletries. And good idea to ensure it's clear . I have both kinds so if we bring, will use a clear one.

PS - A shoe one link in cheezwiz' link is probably better as they look deep, but if we bring, I'd just take from what I have...which is meant for closet organizer (i.e. don't want to buy new)

I've never brought one. There are 2 vanity doors in the bathroom and there is shelf under the sink. Then there is the desk area with some shelves and drawers. I have always found plenty of room for our stuff.

Those storage areas are NOT in all cabins. It depends on the ship and the cabin category.

We bring the over the door organizer with us every cruise. Very nice to have.