The Grand in Ensenada

RiahFly

It looks like the Grand only spent four hours in Ensenada on this recent trip. Does anyone know why? We're going there next month and I just wondered why they don't spend all day, and what one really does in 4 hours. Thanks :)

It looks like the Grand only spent four hours in Ensenada on this recent trip. Does anyone know why? We're going there next month and I just wondered why they don't spend all day, and what one really does in 4 hours. Thanks :)

Was it on a Hawaii run?

Those cruises only call in Ensenada for operational reasons and its 4 hours.

Yes it was on a Hawaii Cruise

Hawaii cruise..4 hour stop

Coastal..7 or 8 am to 5 pm stop

Cool, thanks for the responses. We're going on the Coastal cruise, so it looks like we'll have more time :)

~Kate

To qualify for duty free sale, itinerary should have at least a non-US port, as explained by crew during our Hawaii cruise.

To qualify for duty free sale, itinerary should have at least a non-US port, as explained by crew during our Hawaii cruise.

PVSA violation if they don't stop in a foreign port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What do you mean, that has nothing to do with why they stop there.

This is why the stop in a foreign port.

Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886

No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $200 (now $300) for each passenger so transported and landed. (short explanation)

And that's about three hours too long. :p

Even 1 hour is too long. How about, in order to comply with the stupid law, just go in, stop, and exit?

When we were in Ensenada last year neither one of us were really impressed. Our cruise next weekend stops in Ensenada. If we leave the ship it will only be to look at the seals.

What do you mean, that has nothing to do with why they stop there.

This is why the stop in a foreign port.

Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886

No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $200 (now $300) for each passenger so transported and landed. (short explanation)

I learned something new today. Thanks! You gotta love silly laws and their loopholes :D

Even 1 hour is too long. How about, in order to comply with the stupid law, just go in, stop, and exit?

When we were in Ensenada last year neither one of us were really impressed. Our cruise next weekend stops in Ensenada. If we leave the ship it will only be to look at the seals.

This is my take on why the more than 1 hour stop in Ensenada.

My thought is that the Mexican government wants their share of the tourist industry if a ship should pull in to their port. Revenue....If it were only for an hour, no one could get off the ship. No one would get off the ship. No moneys would be spent. No tours would be available.

Just my thought.

Well, it doesn't specify anywhere in the PVSA how long the stop must be, however, it's my understanding that 4 hours is the minimum because the ship must actually dock and certain paperwork must be filled out. Then the ship must restart and cast off. Apparently all that takes about 4 hours.

SO TRUE!! We recently stopped there for 4 hrs. Took the shuttle "into town", bought a couple of delicious shrimp tacos at a food truck, got a latte at Starbucks so I could use their Wifi, then back to the ship. The streets did not feel safe and the women/children vendors were extremely aggressive, very "in your face!" Even the pier side trinket booths were junky and expensive. Lousy stop; I'll never get off there again. It joins the list with Jamaica. I don't drink alcohol so have no interest in a winery trip.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

So it sounds like no one liked this stop! We have to spend an entire day in port (insert words of sympathy here). Does anyone have anything good to say about it or recommend?? :eek:

So it sounds like no one liked this stop! We have to spend an entire day in port (insert words of sympathy here). Does anyone have anything good to say about it or recommend?? :eek:

No. LOL. Lots of people do say the winery tour is enjoyable. I see it as a good day to enjoy the ship.

Yea, I have something good to say about Ensenada - they speak better English than many of the Mexicans here in the Bay Area!

Less than 24 hours to go!

We went to Massage and Facial Care and had a couples massage for $80 ($40 per person for 1 hour massage and we added $20 for a tip). It is within walking distance of the ship. Some people make appointments but we just walked in. Recommended by quite a few people on cruise critic.

For us, it's the day we pack and then hang out by the pool. On the Hawaiian cruises it seems like about 90 percent of the passengers also treat it as a stationary day at sea.:)

Well, it doesn't specify anywhere in the PVSA how long the stop must be, however, it's my understanding that 4 hours is the minimum because the ship must actually dock and certain paperwork must be filled out. Then the ship must restart and cast off. Apparently all that takes about 4 hours.

About some ten years ago, when the head of NCL was pushing for more restrictive conditions of the PVSA (because he saw the popular RT Hawaiian cruises as a threat to the NCLa Hawaiian cruises), one of the complaints was that Princess and other cruise lines were stopping there for just one hour -- long enough for the paperwork to be signed off. Colin Vetch made a big deal about this (and probably enlisted the help of Ensenada officials) to push for that. Fortunately, many commented (like me) on the Congressional Record including the mayors of the west coast ports, the Guvernator of California, the governor of Hawaii (who realized that the cruise lines would drop the RTs to Hawaii because of the restrictions). Arnold and other politicians enlisted the help of VP Cheney (one of the only times I liked him) to get the changes dropped.

Both the Jones Act (PVSA) and Duty Free shopping needing a foreign port on the itinerary reasons are correct - at least according to announcements on the Grand.

It is also cool that you get port day discounts in the Spa all day even though we didn't get to Ensenada until 4pm

we were always told the reason they even go there on Hawaii trips is that there is a maritime law of some form requiring a stop in a foreign port. So my coastal cruise will be stopping there as well.

Having been there many times already, and the coastal trip goes there from 7 AM to 5 PM, I have the opposite problem. What am I going to do there with all that time.

Hmmm. Probably remain on the ship.

RiahFLy - a guy in my development is excited about Ensenada because he always goes to a certain street vendor and purchases for 5 bucks a block of chocolate fudge.

When he brings it home and offers us some we all turn it down. "Off a vendor on the streets of Ensenada???". We don't think so