Riviera on Code Red again

MVPinBoynton

Presumably during non-medical-issues, the crew is not "underworked", and this has been continuing (it's not just an odd day every few months), does Oceania ever bring on *extra* cleaning staff for all of that *extra* cleaning?

That way, the regular crew would be able to attend normally to their normal duties.

(I'm not referring to extra cleaning between cruises.)

On a normal cruise the crew work 12-15 hrs a day :eek: ...underworked I think not

Where would they put "extra crew" ?

Would they bump paying passenger to bring on cleaners?

I was on the March 13th cruise. First time on Oceania. We did hear about the cabin door being taped. We had a smashing cruise and I would sail again on the Riviera in a heartbeat. I have been on other ships during Code Red and it did have a impact on our enjoyment. Happy to answer any questions.

I have followed the Noro threads since being on the ill fated Nov/Dec Cruises ,the reoccurring outbreaks every other cruise to some degree logically cannot be the fault of passengers bring it aboard.

I have always been of the opinion that there is Something already inherent on the ship itself it has been deep cleaned at least twice and had constant cleaning by the crew + the conditions imposed by a code red.

The Mystery continues lets hope it can be solved !!!before people start backing away from the wonderful Riviera.

I have followed the Noro threads since being on the ill fated Nov/Dec Cruises ,the reoccurring outbreaks every other cruise to some degree logically cannot be the fault of passengers bring it aboard.

I have always been of the opinion that there is Something already inherent on the ship itself it has been deep cleaned at least twice and had constant cleaning by the crew + the conditions imposed by a code red.

The Mystery continues lets hope it can be solved !!!before people start backing away from the wonderful Riviera.

As I have been recuperating in bed since Sunday night from what is likely Noro Virus, it has given us time to re-evaluate our future cruises booked with Oceania. We have decided to cancel our upcoming bookings with Oceania and wait and see what unfolds with the Riviera ship and the Oceania brand in general with respect to gastro and/or Noro Virus on board.

Edited by Wren3

I don't believe that for a minute. It doesn't matter how often you clean the ship. When a new batch of passengers board every 7-10 days they could be bringing anything onboard with them. I think RIVIERA has just been hit with a string of bad luck. Best I can tell from my recent cruise Oceania is doing everything possible to prevent illness and ensure everyone has a great cruise. The vast majority do have a great time and don't get ill. The percentage that has been getting ill is relatively small but that is what you're hearing about. You are not hearing about the 1000+ passengers each cruise that are perfectly healthy and had a great time. It's noro season and unfortunately RIVIERA is getting hit hard this season.

As I have been recuperating in bed since Sunday night from what is likely Noro Virus, it has given us time to re-evaluate our future cruises booked with Oceania. We have decided to cancel our upcoming bookings with Oceania and wait and see what unfolds with the Riviera ship and the Oceania brand in general with respect to gastro and/or Noro Virus on board.

Glad you are starting to feel better

remember you are still contagious for 2-3 days after you feel better

Sorry to hear you have cancelled the upcoming cruise but cannot blame you just getting over Noro it does put you off cruising

Get well soon

Lyn

I don't believe that for a minute. It doesn't matter how often you clean the ship. When a new batch of passengers board every 7-10 days they could be bringing anything onboard with them. I think RIVIERA has just been hit with a string of bad luck. Best I can tell from my recent cruise Oceania is doing everything possible to prevent illness and ensure everyone has a great cruise. The vast majority do have a great time and don't get ill. The percentage that has been getting ill is relatively small but that is what you're hearing about. You are not hearing about the 1000+ passengers each cruise that are perfectly healthy and had a great time. It's noro season and unfortunately RIVIERA is getting hit hard this season.

Is it really Noro season? I asked this question before and did not get an answer. Will it just go away by itself as we head into summer?

Everyone must have their own opinion, but I also cannot believe that over the 4/5 months that one ship has been hit with near continuous outbreaks that it can be put down to bad luck, lets wait and see if it continues.

Everyone must have their own opinion, but I also cannot believe that over the 4/5 months that one ship has been hit with near continuous outbreaks that it can be put down to bad luck, lets wait and see if it continues.

I do not understand what is going on here. In the last year Oceania has been hit 4 times with Noro. Looking back on the CDC website they have only had 1 other outbreak since 2004, (Marina in 2011). What are they doing now that they did not do in previous years, or what did they do then that they are not doing now? 12 years with 1 outbreak and it seems now 1 every other week. P.S. I did not go back past 2004. That was enough history to make my point. :confused::confused::confused:

Edited by RJB

We arrived at Aruba an hour early before our original noon arrival. It is now 2:00 pm and they have not given us permission to land or send out a tender due to illness on the ship. That would be a shame if we can't dock.

I hope you were able to go ashore.

We were on the Mar 13 Riviera cruise, and were healthy...until the spouse started coughing the last night. Which I chalked up to cough-ee (er, coffee) and a milkshake, which has in the past resulted in spouse getting a heartburn-related cough. By Sunday night (after leaving ship) he had developed a viral cough (slight fever). By Monday night, I had too. We are on the mend now! It wasn't strep or flu, according to my Dr.

I am guessing our illnesses had little or nothing to do with Riviera. We joke about how we always get sick on vacation. A few years ago I saw reference to a report that folks get sick more on vacation than at work - in part because we "relax" and are less stressed so our bodies' defenses are lower (!)

So perhaps the Emergen-C folks could launch a product, Va-prection (Vacation Protection) ?

Onboard sanitation seemed fine, including evidence of "let it dry" sanitizer/cleaner being used on changeover day on all hard surfaces in our cabin. CD Dottie ran a bit on her channel (all cruise long) about proper handwashing procedure, and there were more folks using sanitizer than I recalled in past.

For those of you who see folks not washing hands after using the restroom - I was one of those people on embarkation day. Don't freak out! I didn't actually use the restroom, I was just changing my blouse before our cabin was available. Next time maybe I'll wash my hands anyway so no one gets concerned :). I did use the tissue to open the door, and used the sanitizer at Terrace on my hands after exiting...

We did have a great time. Hoping guests & crew (and ship?) are all healthy asap.

Wren, I hope you are starting to feel better. I am recovering slowly.

Everyone is wondering why only the Riviera is having these serious Norovirus issues but none of the other Oceania ships. I read that Norovirus can get onto a cruise ship with the food that is brought on for the kitchen to prepare. I believe that for some months now the Riviera has been restocking every week or so in Miami while all other Oceania ships are in other parts of the world. Could there be something about the food from Miami that is contributing to the problem? The focus on this board has mainly been on the passengers and staff.

We've just heard that all excursions are cancelled - no secret there since even if we were allowed into port it'll be 5pm before we were able to dock. The communication has been slow to arrive and folks are getting restless. After so many outbreaks on this ship, Oceania Cruise Lines are going to have to do something very significant to attract future cruisers.

JUST HEARD THAT RIVIERIA HAS BEEN DENIED ADMISSION TO ARUBA - THIS DESPITE OCEANIA HEAD OFFICE INTERVENTION WITH THE MINISTER OF HEALTH. PRETTY SERIOUS. STAFF ARE WORKING EXTREMELY HARD TO TRY TO MANAGE AS PER CDC PROTOCOLS BUT SO FAR IT DOESN'T LOOK GOOD.

Edited by Wallyandmomo

Here is an excellent article that was recently published in the NYT about staying well while traveling

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/02/22/staying-healthy-while-traveling-the-globe/?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

One suggestion is taking peptobismal before every meal. Granted, it probably would not protect against Noro but might help ward off a gastro illness. I intend to give this a try on my upcoming Oceania cruise. It at least can't hurt [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wren, I hope you are starting to feel better. I am recovering slowly.

Everyone is wondering why only the Riviera is having these serious Norovirus issues but none of the other Oceania ships. I read that Norovirus can get onto a cruise ship with the food that is brought on for the kitchen to prepare. I believe that for some months now the Riviera has been restocking every week or so in Miami while all other Oceania ships are in other parts of the world. Could there be something about the food from Miami that is contributing to the problem? The focus on this board has mainly been on the passengers and staff.

Exactly the point I was trying to make.It does make you think that the suppliers of food could be at fault...something really needs to done.I have yet to have my first cruise with Oceania and I am getting concerned.Like many people we work hard all year,get one good holiday,have no financial benefits when booking and really don't want to be taking a cruise that has continual problems with Noro virus.

I thank everyone who is posting positive and lovely comments regards their experiences on Riviera.It keeps me hopeful.:)

It might stop you up a good bit! :eek:

We arrived at Aruba an hour early before our original noon arrival. It is now 2:00 pm and they have not given us permission to land or send out a tender due to illness on the ship. That would be a shame if we can't dock.

Sounds familiar.:rolleyes: I'm sorry for you and the passengers.

We've just heard that all excursions are cancelled - no secret there since even if we were allowed into port it'll be 5pm before we were able to dock. The communication has been slow to arrive and folks are getting restless. After so many outbreaks on this ship, Oceania Cruise Lines are going to have to do something very significant to attract future cruisers.

I have written my Oceania TA twice about our 2/12 cruise and have never even received a courtesy of a response. All I asked is for the name of who I could send a letter too. Oceania is keeping this thing locked up and I don't think they plan to do anything to keep our business!

Edited by Iamthesea

I do not think the food from Miami is at fault. Many ships come to the port each week and have no problem.

The Aruba port stop has now been cancelled. Really foolish, since those with noro are quarantined. Bonaire is apparently allowing us to dock tomorrow.

The Aruba port stop has now been cancelled. Really foolish, since those with noro are quarantined. Bonaire is apparently allowing us to dock tomorrow.

Hope you get to dock tomorrow. :):):)

We've been told we'll dock in Bonnaire tomorrow - but based on the latest activity and the lack of forthright communication it seems doubful that this will happen. Too bad as the staff are working as hard as possible but you can see the discouraging looks on their faces.

Is the Riveria just one unlucky ship or is there perhaps another reason for these constant outbreaks? You've really got to wonder .....

Sorry you are sick. I remember your questions before you sailed, how was the rest of your trip. I do not blame you for changing your plans, however there are many ships in the sea. I hope you feel better!

Thank you for the well wishes.

I really think something can be made of the fact that when I was on board last week I noticed that the cabin stewards used a single red bucket with cleaning solution and rags amongst all their assigned cabins. That would be cause for cross contamination even if they emptied the water-cleaning solution after each cabin and hopefully used fresh rags however the bucket would still be contaminated unless sanitized after each use but I don't think that is the case. I believe the rags where used between cabins. Shudder to think but I believe is the case.

Edited by Wren3

Thank you for the well wishes.

I really think something can be made of the fact that when I was on board last week I noticed that the cabin stewards used a single red bucket with cleaning solution and rags amongst all their assigned cabins. That would be cause for cross contamination even if they emptied the water-cleaning solution after each cabin and hopefully used fresh rags however the bucket would still be contaminated unless sanitized after each use but I don't think that is the case. I believe the rags where used between cabins. Shudder to think but I believe is the case.

I would think that the fluid would kill any Germs on the rags, do Shen they redip they are germ free. But what do I know, I'm a CPA and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night. :D