Price drops on May 26 Silhouette for British Isles

clojacks

Just happened to be checking some itineraries and caught the prices for the May 26th Silhouette. Verandas for less than Insides and Outsides? The prices are crazy low. Any theories? Tons of cabins left. Could a grouping or charter have been cancelled? The surrounding cruises on the Silhouette seem to be priced at more of what one might expect.

clojacks - Are you on our Roll Call? I don't remember seeing your name over there. If not, plenty of discussion about the rates over there.

Here is a link to the last page. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49485500&posted=1#post49485500

We are not. I just happened to be doing a little research and came across this. We haven't jumped on the price, but it is attractive. Not sure we can squeeze it in.

It's half term that week (spring bank), so many of the tourist sights will be quite busy with families - perhaps that's why it's considerably more expensive over here compared to the US pricing?

I don't know...It seems like there is something else driving the price. The same category for a 12 nt Baltic on the 2 sailings before this one are $2329 and $2599 respectively. Then comes this one as a 12 nt Northern Europe at $1499 and then followed by the same 12 nt Northern Europe at $2849. It seems like there must have been something else at play. I guess it is just my curiosity asking these questions, because in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter, other than it seems like a phenomenal price that has me really surprised that there are so many cabins left.

If you look at the sailing and try to book it is $1699 for a guarantee. Booking a category higher.

Actually, when I just did a dummy booking on the website of the TA I use, it comes up with $1499 plus taxes of $191 for a total of $1690 for a Veranda Guaranty. Still less than either an Inside or Outside. AND thats before calling the TA to see if they can do anything better.

I have never considered a British Isles cruise and wonder if this is an itinerary that appeals mainly to North Americans. I don't think large numbers of Brits would fly to Amsterdam to tour the British Isles when they could just jump in a car, and most other Europeans would probably consider the British Isles to be somewhere for a land trip rather than a cruise. Reading some of the recent posts on CC, many North Americans are nervous of flying to Europe at the moment and this could explain the lack of bookings and perhaps large numbers of cancellations.

I don't know if this is the case, but wonder if anyone else thinks it might be a possible explanation.

Regardless comma I'm still curious why these cabins are so much less than the corresponding cabins on the cruises surrounding this one.

The cruises on either side are not totally British Isles. We booked this cruise because it was "special" and my husband and brother want to be able to play golf at several courses, where it would have cost a fortune to do all the courses on a land based cruise.

Besides travelers fear of flying/traveling overseas, I was told that Celebrity host this same cruise again in the fall and it is during some special event that is more popular. The event slips my mind. :rolleyes:

stipmom - It took some doing, but I did get the $1499 to come up on the Celebrity website. That website is a stinker!

Your Vacation Summary

Nights

British Isles CruiseCelebrity Silhouette

Departing From:

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Sail Date:

May 26, 2016 Returning: June 7, 2016

Your Party:

2 Passengers

FROM

$1,499.00 USD

Avg. price per person

Yes, but I have a feeling that the rates will drop for the "locals" if this cruise does not sell out soon. Far easier and less expensive for you to get to Amsterdam than people in U.S. for a last minute sailing. And not too many want to come that way right now with Brussels only 1.5 hours away. :rolleyes:

We ourselves are still planning that day trip from Amsterdam to Belgium in 7 weeks. :)

Edited by Iamthesea

The cruises on either side are not totally British Isles. We booked this cruise because it was "special" and my husband and brother want to be able to play golf at several courses, where it would have cost a fortune to do all the courses on a land based cruise.

Actually, I think the cruise directly AFTER this one is identical (and correct, they are not technically British Isles as they do port in France, but for the most part I would view them as BI's) and it is priced at $2849 for a Veranda while this one is still $1499. None of the explanations I've heard satisfy my curiosity as to why the big difference?

The cruise after the May 26 sailing is A Russia and Scandinavia cruise. The next one that is similiar is not until July and some of the ports are different. The one in August covers Edinburgh Tatoo and adds 2 days..

It is only in the past three years or so that it started in Amsterdam. Previously went out of England.

The cruise after the May 26 sailing is A Russia and Scandinavia cruise. The next one that is similiar is not until July and some of the ports are different. The one in August covers Edinburgh Tatoo and adds 2 days..

It is only in the past three years or so that it started in Amsterdam. Previously went out of England.

Good thing someone is on the ball. The online TA I was researching showed the May 26 and June 7 itineraries to be the same, UNTIL you clicked on June 7 specifically, and then it popped the correct Baltic itinerary up. Thanks for probably providing an answer to parts of my questions as it appears all the Baltic itineraries are more expensive.

I was becoming very confused because I knew the next cruise was not the Baltic's That explains things. :D

Edinburgh Tattoo ! That's the event. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea