Beware, No Power Strips Allowed

Could you please include the quote from the Safety Notice that says there was an overloading of multiple plugs into a power cord? 'Cause I sure don't see any mention of that.

It's in the report...not a quote...an explanation.

...and we're all still waiting for just one example of a surge-protection-based fire on a cruise ship. Just one will do.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

It's in the report...not a quote...an explanation.

...and we're all still waiting for just one example of a surge-protection-based fire on a cruise ship. Just one will do.

Where in the report? What explanation can't be quoted? Or is this your explanation, and that's fine, but what have you based this on from the report?

And I've never said that there had been an incident. However, the fact that it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't or won't. I still don't understand why the distinction between cargo ships and cruise ships.

Where in the report? What explanation can't be quoted? Or is this your explanation, and that's fine, but what have you based this on from the report?

And I've never said that there had been an incident. However, the fact that it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't or won't. I still don't understand why the distinction between cargo ships and cruise ships.

OK...so decades of cruise ships at sea...millions of passengers aboard...and not one single case of a problem with a surge protector...not one.

Got it.

OK...so decades of cruise ships at sea...millions of passengers aboard...and not one single case of a problem with a surge protector...not one.

Got it.

Just how do you know this?

Where is your documentation that this is the case.

Just wanted to say that up to now we have always taken a power cord on board in carry-on luggage and never had it taken, now we have to be more creative.

We did have one of our I phone 5 charger cord short out on the cruise and just did not ever work again. Other than that never had a surge issue.

Ok, now need a new thread how to disguise a power cord.

Sea Ya

For those of you who stay in hotels in foreign countries prior to getting on a cruise, a surge protector might not be a bad thing to have on hand :(

My laptop power adapter got fried in a hotel in Venice. I plugged it directly into the outlet (it was a dual voltage adapter) to charge after running the battery almost to zero in the three days we were in Venice. Lesson learned. I woke up the next morning to no power in the room at all. The hotel had some sort of power incident/surge so the hotel was without power. Anyway, I thought that was why my computer hadn't charged overnight but I just figured no problem, I'd just charge the laptop battery on the ship. Wrong. When I plugged it in on the ship I realized that the power adapter wasn't working at all, it had been damaged by whatever happened at the hotel, so I had to go the entire 12 night cruise with no laptop to back up my photos. I was not a happy camper.

Edited by Cruzin-K

Where is your documentation that this is NOT the case?

I've spend my time searching...enjoy yours.

Now, I realize there will be no convincing you, but just one more item that may dissuade people from thinking that there is a difference between cargo ship and cruise ship wiring. Here are some links to the USCG Cruise Ship National Center of Expertise:

Their purpose: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/csncoe/purpose.asp

Here is a list of Safety Notices "Specific to Cruise Ships", from the CSNOE website:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/csncoe/alert.asp

Note that alert #03-13, the same Safety Notice linked before, is about half way down the list, so the USCG, at least, feels that this warning applies to cruise ships.

Now, I realize there will be no convincing you, but just one more item that may dissuade people from thinking that there is a difference between cargo ship and cruise ship wiring. Here are some links to the USCG Cruise Ship National Center of Expertise:

Their purpose: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/csncoe/purpose.asp

Here is a list of Safety Notices "Specific to Cruise Ships", from the CSNOE website:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/csncoe/alert.asp

Note that alert #03-13, the same Safety Notice linked before, is about half way down the list, so the USCG, at least, feels that this warning applies to cruise ships.

Please note - and let me clarify...

I have no doubt whatsoever in the notices you reference. I found those myself more than 2 weeks ago.

My issue is that there is no factual foundation for the notices based on documented cases on any cruise ship - not one single case.

This reminds me of the same FAA requirement to turn off cell phones during take off and landing...based upon the FAA's position that the personal cell phone units might interfere with aircraft instruments. This is also reported as a safety notice and policy. Yet pilots routinely use their own personal cell phones in the cockpits of aircraft - I have testimony of that in personal conversations with 3 pilots. They all stated to me - at separate times - that the FAA warning was based on assumptions as opposed to real documented facts. There has never been a documented case of any cell phone interference causing an aircraft to have instrument problems.

Here's just one piece from the Mythbusters folks to illustrate the lunacy of the rule (some non-U.S. airlines have allowed cell phone use onboard for years without any problem whatsoever):

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/cell-phones-interfere-plane-instruments/

This ship surge protection scenario appears to be the very same category of myth.

To be clear, I would not instruct anyone to intentionally violate rules on a ship or on a plane. However, this does not preclude anyone from questioning the validity of the reasons for the rule. Rules get changes all the time once facts are updated.

Interestingly enough...the FAA is seriously considering eliminating the ban on cell phone use on U.S. aircraft in the near future, although it is still in effect at this time.

Perhaps the cruise ship industry will wake up some day to realize they own another case for the mythbusters.

In the meantime - make no mistake - I believe that people should adhere to the cruise line rules.

In a few weeks...I will refrain from using a surge protector, but likely engage the engineering staff of the ship to solicit their views of the current rue and any reasoning behind it, purely for educational purposes...not to debate.

Man, and to think I almost didn't click on this thread. "Power strips? What's there to be said about that?"

chengkp75, I have to admit I was reading your first reply in this thread and I started rolling my eyes....what is this clown talking about, who is this....Oh, its cheng posting. I sat up in my seat, paused the TV and started reading the post again from the beginning. And then wasted the next 2 hours reading related posts, looking at the fine print of Belkin's insurance for devices plugged into their protectors, etc.

I am curious if Royal is with the times and adding more outlets in their newer ships. I sailed on Quantum last year. I did not notice an abundance, or dire lack of, outlets.

Next cruise is Harmony in December. I will counting outlets, and my wife will be rolling her eyes, what the hell is he up to now? :D

Whelp,who would have thought power strips would be right up there with tipping, politics, toilet paper over or under in getting people to pick sides and being convinced the other side is completely bats**t crazy to think otherwise! I for one will not use a power strip after this email thread. I wonder if Trump uses one when he sails, or which way he flips his toilet paper roll. :p

Edited by ThirstyCruiser

Since RCI's ships are registered in the Bahamas, I looked at the Bahamas Maritime Authority's webpage, under their "Casualty and Incident Reporting" section, and found what the Bahamas considers a reportable incident:

Casualty and Incident Reporting

casualty-reporting

The Bahamas Merchant Shipping Act 1976 section 240A requires the Master to report damage sustained by or accidents caused to a Bahamian registered vessel should be reported that result in: loss of life; total loss of the vessel; serious injury; material damage affecting the vessel’s seaworthiness or machinery or hull damage affecting the vessel efficiency. Any subsequent Investigation will be conducted in accordance with IMO “Casualty Investigation Code” MSC.255(84)

Does any of this sound like a stateroom fire, whether caused by a surge suppressor or a hair dryer, or a cigarette in a trash can, would be reported to the BMA? And know that this is the only government agency that would have to be reported to. This is unlike the USCG which requires a "2692" Report of Marine Incident whenever damage exceeds $10,000. The only other place a stateroom fire would be reported would be to the class society, and since these are private businesses, they are not required to publish any data.

And cruisefan, I would really like to know how you came to the conclusion, or where it said in the safety notice that there were overloading of plugs. Does anyone else see this in the report?

Edited by chengkp75

I am trying to follow the technical details of the discussion, but it has been hard going for me.

I have a gadget from RadioShack, something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRT-3500-Receptacle-Tester/391158537329?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3Ddc9aec6456f049aca02a9f959074aac3%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D291579027171 which I have used to check that I haven't reversed polarity when wiring outlets in my house. Would such a tester be of any use aboard a ship to help me decide for myself whether a surge protector would be compatible?

I am trying to follow the technical details of the discussion, but it has been hard going for me.

I have a gadget from RadioShack, something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRT-3500-Receptacle-Tester/391158537329?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3Ddc9aec6456f049aca02a9f959074aac3%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D291579027171 which I have used to check that I haven't reversed polarity when wiring outlets in my house. Would such a tester be of any use aboard a ship to help me decide for myself whether a surge protector would be compatible?

No, home wiring does not have a floating ground, so that device would likely say that the ship outlet was wired wrong.

Just wanted to say that up to now we have always taken a power cord on board in carry-on luggage and never had it taken, now we have to be more creative.

We did have one of our I phone 5 charger cord short out on the cruise and just did not ever work again. Other than that never had a surge issue.

Ok, now need a new thread how to disguise a power cord.

Sea Ya

Put it with your rum-runners .:D

I have a gadget from RadioShack, something like this: which I have used to check that I haven't reversed polarity when wiring outlets in my house. Would such a tester be of any use aboard a ship to help me decide for myself whether a surge protector would be compatible?

No, home wiring does not have a floating ground, so that device would likely say that the ship outlet was wired wrong.

As Bob says, if you plug that into a cruise ship outlet, it will say the outlet is wired wrong, since the outlet will be delta connected. If you plugged it in and it said things were fine, I would say you are on a yacht or a small tugboat that tend to wire things wye connected like shore, merely to simplify the frequent shore power connection. No cruise ship uses wye connected lighting or outlet circuits.

For those of you who stay in hotels in foreign countries prior to getting on a cruise, a surge protector might not be a bad thing to have on hand :(

My laptop power adapter got fried in a hotel in Venice. I plugged it directly into the outlet (it was a dual voltage adapter) to charge after running the battery almost to zero in the three days we were in Venice. Lesson learned. I woke up the next morning to no power in the room at all. The hotel had some sort of power incident/surge so the hotel was without power. Anyway, I thought that was why my computer hadn't charged overnight but I just figured no problem, I'd just charge the laptop battery on the ship. Wrong. When I plugged it in on the ship I realized that the power adapter wasn't working at all, it had been damaged by whatever happened at the hotel, so I had to go the entire 12 night cruise with no laptop to back up my photos. I was not a happy camper.

Many(maybe all) power chargers have overcharge protection. So if there is a surge it might or might not blow the power adapter but the laptop or other device is often saved. For example Apple Power chargers have some surge protection built in, consisting of a fuse, a varistor and a thyristor. Other companies likely have that in their power chargers too. Afraid though that Chengkp75 will probably want to ban power chargers too when he hears about that.....

Edited by Charles4515

Many(maybe all) power chargers have overcharge protection. So if there is a surge it might or might not blow the power adapter but the laptop or other device is often saved. For example Apple Power chargers have some surge protection built in, consisting of a fuse, a varistor and a thyristor. Other companies likely have that in their power chargers too. Afraid though that Chengkp75 will probably want to ban power chargers too when he hears about that.....

While I haven't studied the circuitry of the Apple Power charger, or any other laptop power supply in detail, I have done a quick search and found some discussions and circuit drawings. None that I see have any circuitry that connects the hot or neutral lines to the ground via a MOV, which is the danger of consumer surge protection devices. From what I see, the charger has a control circuit that monitors the output voltage from the transformer, and switches off the output of the charger if the voltage is outside the nominal range. This is the "surge protection" it provides.

While I haven't studied the circuitry of the Apple Power charger, or any other laptop power supply in detail, I have done a quick search and found some discussions and circuit drawings. None that I see have any circuitry that connects the hot or neutral lines to the ground via a MOV, which is the danger of consumer surge protection devices. From what I see, the charger has a control circuit that monitors the output voltage from the transformer, and switches off the output of the charger if the voltage is outside the nominal range. This is the "surge protection" it provides.

Take one apart and you will find a varistor. You do know what a varistor is don't you?

Take one apart and you will find a varistor. You do know what a varistor is don't you?

Hey, KeyboardTuffGuy, don't be snotty. Everyone in this thread knows a million times more about a lot of topics than you do. And you know more than I do and checngkp75 does on a lot of topics as well. Treat others the way you expect to be treated.

While I have not deigned to demean your knowledge, yes, I do know what a varistor is, and the simple fact that the power supply has a varistor in it does not mean that it shunts the primary power of the power supply from hot to ground. On the secondary side of the power supply, this can be used as a "power switch", I believe.

With all Chengs references to an MOV, it appears he is well aware of what a varistor is, or did you miss those references

• 7 months later...

Wow. So much arguing, and with such a simple solution: Just bring an extension cord that can handle the amperage but with no surge protection. I am exhausted reading the back and forth, but the simple answer is easy and inexpensive and my cords won't get confiscated and I won't have to go to the naughty room.... Unless they figure out I have bourbon in the Listerine bottle...

Wow. So much arguing, and with such a simple solution: Just bring an extension cord that can handle the amperage but with no surge protection. I am exhausted reading the back and forth, but the simple answer is easy and inexpensive and my cords won't get confiscated and I won't have to go to the naughty room.... Unless they figure out I have bourbon in the Listerine bottle...

Extension cords are on the prohibited list:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608

Funny thing with all the comments is I bet 90% of you don't own your own online businesses. When I travel I bring one duffel bag dedicated just to my computer, backup computer, iPad back up iPad, cell phone and back up cell phone. Also have 2 back up mobile hotspots and a SAT Phone incase of an issue. There was one time where I had to go to all of my backups. So ensuring things are 100% are vital to those of us who run business away from home. In a perfect world I won't even touch any of them but when the **** hits the fan it hits the fan alright... So to the point of power strips some people may need them not everyone is a stay at home mom on these cruises....

Edited by theboss7593
typo