Ultimate Balcony Dining...In Bath Robes?

BTwurddle

Fiance treated us to a mini suite on an upcoming cruise and I suggested we try the ultimate balcony dinner. Neither of us frequent the main dining rooms and sometimes just enjoy an evening to ourselves. I suggested we make a reservation for the ultimate balcony dinner and instead of getting dressed we enjoy dinner and cocktails on our balcony in our white Princess robes! I mean, we are on vacation right? Fiance says I'm nuts, but I think it would be awesome to get home, share pictures of dinner on our balcony at see with us relaxed and in our pjs! Am I crazy or just living in the moment? Happy cruising everyone!

Fiance treated us to a mini suite on an upcoming cruise and I suggested we try the ultimate balcony dinner. Neither of us frequent the main dining rooms and sometimes just enjoy an evening to ourselves. I suggested we make a reservation for the ultimate balcony dinner and instead of getting dressed we enjoy dinner and cocktails on our balcony in our white Princess robes! I mean, we are on vacation right? Fiance says I'm nuts, but I think it would be awesome to get home, share pictures of dinner on our balcony at see with us relaxed and in our pjs! Am I crazy or just living in the moment? Happy cruising everyone!

I say enjoy it however you like

We had the ugliest, rattiest and ugliest bathrobes on the Royal a few weeks ago!! We asked for different ones halfway through the 20 days and the new ones were in worse shape!! So I would not wear those robes in front of anyone!!

The OP didn't say but it's possible that they both have the bigger, plush robes that can be purchased or obtained via the Ultimate Ship Tour.

If not, I can't agree more with others who have said the "regular" Princess robes are atrocious.

I say do what you want! Your vacation, your money, your memories!

On the other hand, it's his vacation, also. If fiance is uncomfortable with the idea, I think it would be inconsiderate of you to twist his arm.

Order the UBD--believe me when I tell you, it is awesome--and let him suggest the dress code.

And no pouting.

I'm hoping this is a tongue in cheek response, but as there is a lack of a smiley, I'll assume that it's not?

The dinner is served by waiters and a ship's photographer comes to take pictures. That is not a joke. I'm thinking maybe people are just suggesting the OP wear something under the robe that isn't going to fit. (It won't. That is no joke either.)

Wear whatever you want and don't feel bad for doing it in a housecoat if that is what you want. I think I would like to wear a caftan that I bring with me and I sure wouldn't tip $40. just because I'm not dressed up. I am sure they see everything and you wouldn't be naked for heavens sake. Enjoy!

Unless you've booked an Emerald deck mini-suite, your balcony will be completely uncovered and visible to every deck above you. There'll be zero privacy. If you don't mind hundreds of passengers able to see you in your PJs and the staff on the bridge with binoculars checking balconies, go for it. IMHO, that takes a bit of bravado and self confidence.

Edited by Pam in CA

Wear whatever you want and don't feel bad for doing it in a housecoat if that is what you want. I think I would like to wear a caftan that I bring with me and I sure wouldn't tip $40. just because I'm not dressed up. I am sure they see everything and you wouldn't be naked for heavens sake. Enjoy!

A caftan is a lot different from a bathrobe! Nothing will fall put accidentally!

Unless you've booked an Emerald deck mini-suite, your balcony will be completely uncovered and visible to every deck above you. There'll be zero privacy. If you don't mind hundreds of passengers able to see you in your PJs and the staff on the bridge with binoculars checking balconies, go for it. IMHO, that takes a bit of bravado and self confidence.

Well I would suggest that "hundreds of passengers" is a bit of an exaggeration. First of all it is dinner time and most people are out and about with their own dinner plans and/or entertainment choices to worry about. Secondly, I doubt that the bridge staff cares a lot about what is going on in the Dolphin balconies. They have a whole ship, and, keeping it safely navigated, that they need to be concerned about. In life, sometimes, just do what makes your bliss and don't worry about everyone else. :cool:

The dinner is served by waiters and a ship's photographer comes to take pictures. That is not a joke. I'm thinking maybe people are just suggesting the OP wear something under the robe that isn't going to fit. (It won't. That is no joke either.)

The ship's photographer is only there for a few minutes to take a couple of pictures as one is included with the dinner.

The waiters come and go to serve each course. They do not stand there watching you eat.

I think having the balcony dinner in my bathrobe sounds romantic. But I would definitely wear something underneath the robe.

I have found the waiters that do this to be charming and, as long as you're covered, I don't think they give a hoot what you're wearing.

The ship's photographer is only there for a few minutes to take a couple of pictures as one is included with the dinner.

The waiters come and go to serve each course. They do not stand there watching you eat.

And that photographer was probably dressed that morning as a Pirate or maybe a Mayan in tasteful loincloth for the gangway photo ops.

They will have suggestions about how to best pose the couple for the shot. And if asked, will tell the OP how many dozens of couples have had their UBD in their PJs on the Love Boat.

A sense of playfulness is a plus for a relationship (arguably a necessity) and if I hear of such shenanigans I'd be compelled to donate a Coffee Card or a Princess Cookbook to such a cute couple's cruise fund.

I would say wear whatever you want as you two will enjoy the experience. We did a 5-day on the Emerald last November with some good friends of ours and we were staying in an aft suite. We decided it was a good opportunity to have the UBD for the four of us with that big balcony.

We picked formal night, so we would not have to take dressy clothes for one dinner. To keep in the spirit though, we bought tuxedo t-shirts. If was fun and added to the evening, plus it was hot out there that night since we were leaving from Mexico.

Well I would suggest that "hundreds of passengers" is a bit of an exaggeration.
Nope. I said they are "able" to see them. Didn't say hundreds passengers were lining the railings to look down. :) Passengers as well as officers on the bridge have seen some very "interesting" sights over the years. I know I have.

Of course you're not crazy...it's your cruise, so live the moment .

There is a Princess promo video in YouTube that shows exactly that! A Couple is sitting on their balcony, in robes, having a balcony dinner!

Go for it!