Philadelphia to Barcelona, Spain

Traveling from Philadelphia to Barcelona Spain to cruise on Harmony of the Seas. Would someone recommend flying into Spain the same day as the cruise or fly in the day before and get a hotel because of the time difference?

Oh my goodness, you MUST fly in early. I can't even imagine anyone recommending you fly in the day of the cruise. There are so many things beyond your control that could go wrong; please don't even think about risking missing embarkation by flying in less than the day before.

Barcelona is a phenomenal city and very worthy of spending a few days pre-cruise there. Here is the link to the Spain board, for hotel research:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596

We flew in 3 days before to enjoy the city of Barcelona, we live in So Calif and flew to Philadelphia then took I think it was the 6:30 PM flight. It was roughly an 8 hour flight so enjoyed the extra days to see the sights and relax. This has nothing to do with Barcelona but I do wish to share this. If ever you fly to Sydney Australia, make sure you book two days before, it is a 15 hour flight from LAX. An example, you wish to arrive on the 6th, book your flight on the 4th, as they are a day ahead of us. If your on the East coast then you might want to book a flight to LAX spend 1 night then fly out or spend a day in Honolulu.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

If you don't fly in a day or two early, you'll feel out of it the first couple of days of the cruise. Get your jet lag over while sightseeing in wonderful Barcelona. Plus no worries about missing the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Traveling from Philadelphia to Barcelona Spain to cruise on Harmony of the Seas. Would someone recommend flying into Spain the same day as the cruise or fly in the day before and get a hotel because of the time difference?

Fly with me! I am leaving PHL on the 19th, arriving in Barcelona on the 20th. I am spending three glorious days touring and experiencing Barcelona and the surrounding countryside.

I'd leave at least 2 days before the cruise, which would put you in Barcelona one day before the cruise. If you can swing it, go even earlier to spend time in that beautiful city.

By the way, here is a similar thread from yesterday:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2332813

Edited by clarea

I do not recommend flying in the day of the cruise. Why?

-A canceled or delayed flight might cause you to miss the ship

- Should luggage go missing there is not time to find it in times to get it to the ship in time of boarding.

- You will be jet lagged and that is not a good way to begin a cruise.

I would arrive two to three days prior to the cruise if your budget permits. If not at least one day before.

There is much to see in Barcelona.

Keith

I would never plan to arrive the same day as the sailing. There is so much to see and do in Barcelona and that gives you time to adjust to their time zone before getting on the ship.

Also, last time we flew to Barcelona our luggage flew to Frankfurt. It took 2 days to get it back, so we were so glad to have had those pre-cruise days planned in Barcelona. (It also taught us a lesson to pack at least 1 change of clothes in your carry-on).