Jeans for ice skating?

rkkunk

We wore leggings on Navigator to skate about 3 weeks ago. I don't think you need gloves, but as a Canadian who skates all the time, we were ecstatic to be skating in tank tops!

concur .. in our experience the rule was simply 'long pants'

but you can experience differences by WHO is working the desk ...

and I think the gloves recommendation was just a suggestion from someone who skates as well as I do(n't)!

(as a born and never left Southerner my wife had never been ice skating so I once took her to an indoor rink. After several ... as she calls them: "flying sit spins", one topped by a 5 year old sliding to a stop with ice chips flying and asking "you OK lady?" She said, "next time you want to go ice skating, take me to a movie!")

Edited by Capt_BJ

So we should be okay with what he's taking.

I like to ice skate. I used to do it when I was younger. The last time I skated was up in the mountains a few years ago. Like riding a bicycle, it all came back to me. Now my DH and DS didn't seem to enjoy it as much. Lol! I am quite surprised that my son agreed to do it.

We have seen everything from jeans, sweat pants, yoga pants.....

Not they did not permit "leggins" on our Oasis sailing last summer.

Enjoy, take gloves:eek:

And bring socks! (something our daughter doesn't always do since she tends to favor shoes that don't require socks, so we've had to buy socks on cruises to ice skate on RC and bowl on NCL)

So we should be okay with what he's taking.

I like to ice skate. I used to do it when I was younger. The last time I skated was up in the mountains a few years ago. Like riding a bicycle, it all came back to me. Now my DH and DS didn't seem to enjoy it as much. Lol! I am quite surprised that my son agreed to do it.

Smiling as I type! My friend said the same thing about riding a bike! I don't skate, but agreed to be the group photographer. Riding a bike, we're from Wisconsin of course we skate, etc. Let's just say skating on a moving ship is not easy! My friend couldn't get far from the boards! She looked cute in her helmet!

Came away with greater respect for the ice show skaters!

Enjoy your cruise and skating!

I can't remember from our last sailing on Oasis ...

Generally, how much public skating time is available each day?

My son is a hockey player and "extra" ice time is always a treat for him. My husband and son plan to bring their own skates and helmets. I will probably put the blades in our checked luggage, but we'll put his ice skates and helmets in a carry on. I can't imagine they would let the blades through security. Losing his skates would be a nightmare!

Just want to make sure they will have enough skating time each day to make bring skates worth the effort.

I can't remember from our last sailing on Oasis ...

Generally, how much public skating time is available each day?

My son is a hockey player and "extra" ice time is always a treat for him. My husband and son plan to bring their own skates and helmets. I will probably put the blades in our checked luggage, but we'll put his ice skates and helmets in a carry on. I can't imagine they would let the blades through security. Losing his skates would be a nightmare!

Just want to make sure they will have enough skating time each day to make bring skates worth the effort.

My grandsons play hockey too. Although they had fun skating, it was more of a novelty. On our last cruise together I believe there were three mornings for open skate (I am not certain on this, so hopefully someone can confirm). Sessions were limited to 50 people. You could sign up for more than one session. Again, thinking sessions were about an hour in length, but don't honestly remember..

Helmets are mandatory and provided. Personally I would not bother bringing skates/helmets. Provided skates are not like your own, but adequate. Long pants and socks required.

The rink is very small. Majority of people cannot skate, so lots of holding on to the boards and falls. There are not that many opportunities to participate, and as I said it's a very small rink and fun, but for hockey players kind of tame.

Thanks! My son has custom insoles in his skates and if he used rental skates it would do more harm to his stride. His skates are super lightweight, so i'm not worried about it.

3 sessions for the week is not bad. I wonder if you can sign up ahead like you do for the shows?

It's been a few years since we were on Oasis, but I remember the rink being large enough.

The Ice Show is awesome for anyone who hasn't seen it!

Thanks! My son has custom insoles in his skates and if he used rental skates it would do more harm to his stride. His skates are super lightweight, so i'm not worried about it.

3 sessions for the week is not bad. I wonder if you can sign up ahead like you do for the shows?

It's been a few years since we were on Oasis, but I remember the rink being large enough.

The Ice Show is awesome for anyone who hasn't seen it!

The open skating is first come, first served.

My grandsons play hockey too. Although they had fun skating, it was more of a novelty. On our last cruise together I believe there were three mornings for open skate (I am not certain on this, so hopefully someone can confirm). Sessions were limited to 50 people. You could sign up for more than one session. Again, thinking sessions were about an hour in length, but don't honestly remember..

Helmets are mandatory and provided. Personally I would not bother bringing skates/helmets. Provided skates are not like your own, but adequate. Long pants and socks required.

The rink is very small. Majority of people cannot skate, so lots of holding on to the boards and falls. There are not that many opportunities to participate, and as I said it's a very small rink and fun, but for hockey players kind of tame.

one other thing ,especially for hockey players is that most of the skates supplied are figure skates, and not very good ones

The open skating is first come, first served.[

True, you don't sign up ahead of time. But you do register and sign up for each session at the rink. There was a line, and you signed when you arrive. The first 50 people were allowed on the ice. Some only lasted 5-10 minutes, couldn't do it, and were replaced with people waiting who had already signed in. Ice was cleared for the next session.

My grandkids signed up for three sessions and were allowed to stay on the ice at "changeover" to the new session.

Last time we did this was on the Oasis in 2014.

Queen of Oakville,

The rink is small, at least half the size of a traditional rink, likely even smaller. As someone mentioned, there are about 50 people on the ice, and many of them beginners. They make you skate around the perimeter "free skate" style, and it is pretty crowded. Would your son be interested in this?

one other thing ,especially for hockey players is that most of the skates supplied are figure skates, and not very good ones

Yes, I agree, but packing five sets of skates for us wasn't worth the weight/baggage fees. The skates weren't that bad. Grandkids did the skating just for fun - rink is way too small and crowded for any speed or special tricks!!!

True, but we didn't think it was worth packing - airline weight, etc - five pairs of skates. Kids skated just for fun. Borrowed skates weren't that bad. Rink is too small and crowded for any speed or fancy moves. They just wanted to try it out and have a good time.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles
Delete post - duplicate

Smiling as I type! My friend said the same thing about riding a bike! I don't skate, but agreed to be the group photographer. Riding a bike, we're from Wisconsin of course we skate, etc. Let's just say skating on a moving ship is not easy! My friend couldn't get far from the boards! She looked cute in her helmet!

Came away with greater respect for the ice show skaters!

Enjoy your cruise and skating!

Very true, I guess! I hadn't thought about the movement. Maybe I won't do as well as I thought! Lol!☺️