Don't even think about skipping the Lifeboat Drill

We just did the Breeze and they scanned our cards as we entered one of the dinning rooms or lounges whichever you are assigned to. Now this was our 30 something cruise so we know the drill but I feel it's inadequate for people new to cruising or to those who don't pay attention. The panic that would come over everyone is to be expected and I would feel better knowing exactly where my life boat is and it's not in the dinning room. Not bringing your life jacket is another thing, now I hate carrying that thing and I hate it around my neck but I have at least experienced putting it on, how many of the newbies have and have they paid enough attention to do it (I mean those who are sitting there with their phones out and their drink in front of them). Just my opinions.

They no longer have you bring the life jackets because they are a tripping hazard. Or so I heard. The strings dangling down as people carried them and others stepping on or getting tangled up. Add stairs into the equation and it could get serious pretty easily.

If people don't want to pay attention and figure out how to put one on then that's their fault. The airlines don't have you go under your seat to get your life vest or grab your seat cushion putting your arms through the straps while hugging it close to your chest either. A demonstration is adequate enough. And if someone isn't smart enough to figure it out on their own or ask for assistance if needed, then that's on them. Survival of the fittest I suppose.

Also if your muster station is the dining room, then it is my understanding that you are to report there in case of emergency as IT IS your muster station. You will be led to your lifeboats from there. If things are going south in a hurry, then other instructions will be given. I always know where the boats are just in case. It pays to be prepared and pay attention.

Edited by firemanbobswife

They no longer have you bring the life jackets because they are a tripping hazard. Or so I heard. The strings dangling down as people carried them and others stepping on or getting tangled up. Add stairs into the equation and it could get serious pretty easily.

If people don't want to pay attention and figure out how to put one on then that's their fault. The airlines don't have you go under your seat to get your life vest or grab your seat cushion putting your arms through the straps while hugging it close to your chest either. A demonstration is adequate enough. And if someone isn't smart enough to figure it out on their own or ask for assistance if needed, then that's on them. Survival of the fittest I suppose.

The difference being, in an airplane, people aren't drinking/talking on cell phones. And pretty much only able to watch the demonstration, since they are strapped in, facing forward.

But I agree with sandij - a "drill" should be to practice the actual event, so that you have some physical memory of how to do what you need to do in an emergency.

The difference being, in an airplane, people aren't drinking/talking on cell phones. And pretty much only able to watch the demonstration, since they are strapped in, facing forward.

But I agree with sandij - a "drill" should be to practice the actual event, so that you have some physical memory of how to do what you need to do in an emergency.

Have you flown lately? People are watching their iPads, listening to music looking out the windows, or even sleeping. I'm willing to bet less than 5% of the people are actually paying attention. Regardless, putting on a life jacket isn't rocket science.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I always thought it was the height of arrogance not to attend the muster. Like the rules don't apply to everyone. Sure it is a pain, but it is only for a brief time. Suck it up and just go.

It holds everyone else up and inconveniences the entire ship. I think a $50 per person fine is appropriate for those who don't bother to show up and cause everyone elses vacation to be delayed.

Have you flown lately? People are watching their iPads, listening to music looking out the windows, or even sleeping. I'm willing to bet less than 5% of the people are actually paying attention. Regardless, putting on a life jacket isn't rocket science.

If a plane goes down these days unless you are in first class our in an area the plane bust open, I think there is very little chance you will get out. People can barely stand up to get off in the normal way.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If a plane goes down these days unless you are in first class our in an area the plane bust open, I think there is very little chance you will get out. People can barely stand up to get off in the normal way.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Well, true. But there's always a chance that we could do a water landing like USAir 1549. I wonder how many people paid attention to that safety briefing.

If Tapi was our pilot, I know he would do a great job and we would all live! [emoji3]

Carnival needs to hold the Muster drill in the public rooms instead of packing us like sardines under the life boats. Princess, Royal and Celebrity do it that way. Not sure about NCL, its been a while.

Muster locations are different on every class of ship. Decided by whatever Gov't agency governs these things.

Fantasy class muster stations are in the lounges (except for F on lido), then go up to the lifeboats. On HAL we've always gone under the lifeboat. Princess into a lounge with our life jackets.

When I've done B2B had to go to the second muster on Carnival, it was optional on Princess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They did it this way when we sailed on the Dream this past November. Our particular meeting place was the Crimson MDR. Much more pleasant than out by the life boats!

Same with us on our February Dream cruise. Met in the upper level of of the Crimson. Didn't have our cards scanned, but we did have to wait til they checked all the staterooms. Sitting and waiting is much preferable to standing and waiting :D

This makes sense. I went on my first cruise last year, and honestly, I was confused about the whole process. Never at any point did they do any kind of head count, so I was wondering the whole time how they even could tell if everyone was there.

There are crew members with clickers counting people in each area.

The last few NCL cruises they had the muster drill in the common rooms where you could sit. They checked your card and marked you off as attending. They made those that did not show up attend a make up muster drill. On Disney we stood outside under the life boats but that has been 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe they now use common rooms.

Carnival needs to hold the Muster drill in the public rooms instead of packing us like sardines under the life boats. Princess, Royal and Celebrity do it that way. Not sure about NCL, its been a while.

The last few NCL cruises they had the muster drill in the common rooms where you could sit. They checked your card and marked you off as attending. They made those that did not show up attend a make up muster drill. On Disney we stood outside under the life boats but that has been 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe they now use common rooms.

Some muster locations on Disney are indoors (in the main theatre, and a couple of the dining rooms). But most are outside near your lifeboat.

Muster station locations will almost never change over the life of the ship. If the promenade deck has sufficient space to handle all the passengers at the stations under the boats, that is what the IMO prefers. As the promenades were made smaller to increase inside volume (revenue generating) space, the muster stations had to be moved inside. However, the spaces have to be designed as muster stations from the get go, with volume, ingress, egress, and distance to the boats taken into consideration as to whether a space is acceptable or not. This is not the cruise lines' decision, this falls under SOLAS regulations and class society rules.

Remember, the passenger muster is not about the boats. It is about accountability, and getting passengers to known locations out of the way of the crew dealing with whatever emergency is happening. Therefore, it is not necessary to have muster locations at the boats, nor is it required to "train" people to go to the boats. Go to the muster location, wherever it is, and wait patiently for further crew instructions.

I joined the January Glory Journeys cruise 5 days late in Antigua. I had to report to Guest Services later that day @ 5PM for the safety drill along with 1/2 dozen other late arrivals.

We were ushered to the Deck 5 aft comedy club, where we were shown a recording similar to what the airlines show.

When the recording was over, we followed the staff to deck 4 where the lifeboats are and once we saw them, the drill was completed.

I had the feeling that the recording was a trial rollout, and if approved, might be implemented in the future. Everyone could go to the main theater or the comedy club, punch in their S&S card to prove attendance, watch the video and be done with the briefing.

If I had a cruise critic baby, I would want chengkp75 to be the daddy. So knowledgable on several topics. They are one of maybe 5 people on here whose posts I read and do not have to question if it is true or are they just making stuff up. :-)

Edited by HamSammie

I agree. As I am aging, and having back pain issues, I find it extremely difficult to stand in one place for more than 5 minutes without moving about some. Last year, last cruise, the muster took an incredibly long time, and I almost fainted from the pain. I am not normally one to ask for special assistance, but I fear that next cruise, I may have to ask for the special needs area for muster drill. Don't want to, but cant face the scenario again this year.

I may do the same thing. We waited by the doorway for it to fill out so I could hopefully get a place to stand and be able to breathe and of course the back problems kicked in too. When they say 330 or 400 or whatever, it means that not 20 minutes later.

I joined the January Glory Journeys cruise 5 days late in Antigua. I had to report to Guest Services later that day @ 5PM for the safety drill along with 1/2 dozen other late arrivals.

We were ushered to the Deck 5 aft comedy club, where we were shown a recording similar to what the airlines show.

When the recording was over, we followed the staff to deck 4 where the lifeboats are and once we saw them, the drill was completed.

I had the feeling that the recording was a trial rollout, and if approved, might be implemented in the future. Everyone could go to the main theater or the comedy club, punch in their S&S card to prove attendance, watch the video and be done with the briefing.

SOLAS requirements for the passenger muster drill, are basically that all passengers are physically mustered at their stations. That's it. So, checking in for a video in the theater would not meet SOLAS requirements.

The lifejacket donning and other safety information has been available to be presented to the passengers via video for years. Many cruise lines have this on continuous loop on the TV's and this meets the requirement for passenger training.

Thankfully, things are different on Carnival cruises than when we went in our last Carnival cruise. Over ten years ago.

We didn't scan our cards. We just took life jackets and reported to our muster station.

Our family of four had two separate cabins. And each cabin had four life jackets. My husband and I were in our teen-aged daughters' room when the siren for the muster sounded. We took the four jackets and congregated at the muster station.

Apparently, they search each room. They found the life jackets associated with our room, and we got a letter expressing their disappointment in my husband and me missing muster.

One other thing about that muster that I didn't like. Sail away was during muster. What a let down. Do they have sail away during muster on any ship?

I agree especially in hot temps. On flip side, I can guess they physically want us to locate the area where supposed to go?

How does it work for little kids? Is there a separate muster drill for people with little ones? This is our first cruise with kids and now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing very little kids at our drills before.

How does it work for little kids? Is there a separate muster drill for people with little ones? This is our first cruise with kids and now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing very little kids at our drills before.

No, everyone goes to the muster station for their room. Everyone, regardless of age.

On the Inspiration we mustered in the Rock N Roll Dance club. They checked us in by room number, any kids got a special wristband when they checked in. After the "how to put on the life jacket" demo, we were lined up (two lines) and taken to where our life boat was located (1 deck up). Then we were released.

We reported to our outdoor muster station with our infant but the crew directed us inside to the dining room; we did not ask for that but it was nicer to sit down inside.