Family left behind

We just got off the Indy today...had a great time. When we were in Jamaica there was a family that missed the ship by 5 minutes. We are just curious what happens when you are left behind? Does RCI assist with flights, passports, hotel etc? It didn't seem as though they were on an excursion because the ship did wait for a lot of late runners that were on organized excursions. They were in wet bathing suits and just stood there as the ship was sailing away. We felt so bad for them.

Does RCI assist with flights, passports, hotel etc?

RCI's port agent will assist with the logistics of making arrangements. The port agents information will be published in the daily Compass on the day of the port of call. All costs are the responsibility of the traveler though; another important reason to have trip insurance.

RCI will usually go to your cabin to try to find your passports. If they can find them, they will leave them with the port agent. Other than that, you're on your own.

Someone mentioned they went to their cabin and got their passports. We saw them hand a paper to the port agent. We assumed you would be on your own. That is why we always make our way back to the ship in plenty of time.

RCI's port agent will assist with the logistics of making arrangements. The port agents information will be published in the daily Compass on the day of the port of call. All costs are the responsibility of the traveler though; another important reason to have trip insurance.

That's good to know...thanks!

Someone mentioned they went to their cabin and got their passports. We saw them hand a paper to the port agent. We assumed you would be on your own. That is why we always make our way back to the ship in plenty of time.

This is why we always carry a phone and the port agent's phone number.

That is a bad situation. What was the next port?

I hope they had passports on them and a credit card! I would also like to find out what happens..

Our next day was a sea day...then back to ft lauderdale. The father came out of the security area all smiles ready to have everyone cheer for him with his arms up proud. Then he saw the ship moving and that excitement went out the window. It was literally a few minutes. The crew seemed to be looking for someone in the port area.

Edited by CaribbeanH2OLover

We watched a similar situation last week involving a Celebrity ship. The ship had actually packed the passengers bags and had them sitting on the pier. Luckily in this case the ship was able to wait long enough so they were not left behind, they made it with literally seconds to spare.

We watched a similar situation last week involving a Celebrity ship. The ship had actually packed the passengers bags and had them sitting on the pier. Luckily in this case the ship was able to wait long enough so they were not left behind, they made it with literally seconds to spare.

Wow they were lucky! We were supposed to be all aboard at 4pm and sailed off around 5pm.

So what if you have no money/credit card? You are just stuck in Jamaica??

I've seen plenty of runners. 2 years ago a couple almost missed the ship. They waited quite a while and were on cell phones. Then finally a cab came flying down the long pier all the way to the ship. As they were getting out the cab driver leaned out the window and gave a thumbs up to everyone on the ship watching and he got a big round of applause and cheers. :-)

I did see a couple left behind in the Bahamas once as we were pulking out. I also saw a small fishing type boat pull up next to the ship while it was still in the bay, and the people had to walk on a plank (no railings) to get on the ship! No way I could or would have tried that!

So what if you have no money/credit card? You are just stuck in Jamaica??

Find a phone and start calling collect to see if someone will Western Union you cash...

(the port agent can probably assist in some communications for you in all probability)

RCI will usually go to your cabin to try to find your passports. If they can find them, they will leave them with the port agent. Other than that, you're on your own.

Were they on a RCI-sponsored shore trip? I thought if you booked through RCI they guaranteed arrival back at the ship in time, or would make arrangements at their expense to get you to the ship's next port of call?

This is why we always carry a phone and the port agent's phone number.

I remember seeing the port agent's contact info each day, but it never occurred to me to take the info with me. Something I'll have to keep in mind for the future.

I remember seeing the port agent's contact info each day, but it never occurred to me to take the info with me. Something I'll have to keep in mind for the future.

Never leave the ship without your Cruise Compass.

Were they on a RCI-sponsored shore trip? I thought if you booked through RCI they guaranteed arrival back at the ship in time, or would make arrangements at their expense to get you to the ship's next port of call?

According to the OP of this thread they were on their own. Family was late arriving back to port. Yes....if you're on a ship excursion they will wait for you. This family wasn't.

Goodness, this does bring up a lot of valid points! I'm glad I stopped by this thread! I guess most people have the "it can't happen to me" mentality, which I guess is only a certainty if you don't get off the ship. :)