2016-2017 incentive/group cruises on NCL

• 1 month later...
Kosherica

Alaska Kosher Cruise

aboard the Norwegian Cruise Lines: Pearl

July 3-10, 2016 (7 Nights - Kosher Cruise)

I'm sure this is a stupid question but what does "kosher cruise" mean for people not in this group? Like how does it affect non-kosher people? (if at all?). I like bacon... :rolleyes: and would be disappointed if the menus were changed to not include pork products. (honestly not trying to be rude here, of course! I am not Jewish, so I admit I am ignorant in this regard! And don't know much about these charter/group cruises!).

I'm sure this is a stupid question but what does "kosher cruise" mean for people not in this group? Like how does it affect non-kosher people? (if at all?). I like bacon... :rolleyes: and would be disappointed if the menus were changed to not include pork products. (honestly not trying to be rude here, of course! I am not Jewish, so I admit I am ignorant in this regard! And don't know much about these charter/group cruises!).
No real idea but my friend went on a RC partially chartered "Kosher" cruise . They took over one of the 2 MDR's and the cafeteria was partitioned off into 2 separate sections . She said it worked out well . Couldn't say how those who were not kosher found it but she believed it was the usual cruise food for them .

Again I have no idea how NCL would deal with this issue .

Edited by richstowe

No real idea but my friend went on a RC partially chartered "Kosher" cruise . They took over one of the 2 MDR's and the cafeteria was partitioned off into 2 separate sections . She said it worked out well . Couldn't say how those who were not kosher found it but she believed it was the usual cruise food for them .

Again I have no idea how NCL would deal with this issue .

I think the concern is with a subgroup that keeps Kosher, and perhaps not all such groups.

There is a group that has outrageously bad manners (worse than most could even imagine). That aspect has nothing to do directly with their dietary rules, but it happens to be the same.

ANY group that behaves that way should be avoided, regardless of dietary preferences.

==>> Can anyone confirm if the Kosherica chartered cruises are *different* from the cruises where there are many families from the "other" group?

Perhaps someone has been on one of the NCL cruises with a Kosherica group and could (hopefully) confirm that the dietary differences were *not* accompanied by the behavioral problems of the "other" group (the one where there is chaos and worse)?

That would be very nice.

(Maybe they are the same, but the more I try to check into it, it seems that they are not the same groups, or not entirely...??)

Thanks very much.

Great idea for a thread, thanks! Also, the Star Trek cruise sounds so awesome!! It's taking over the whole ship rather than a partial charter. It says even crew will be dressed up in Starfleet uniforms. I wish it wasn't sold out, I would seriously consider signing up today!!

Great idea for a thread, thanks! Also, the Star Trek cruise sounds so awesome!! It's taking over the whole ship rather than a partial charter. It says even crew will be dressed up in Starfleet uniforms. I wish it wasn't sold out, I would seriously consider signing up today!!

I'm not interested in this cruise/theme, but if it's true that NCL crew will also be adding to the theme by dressing "appropriately", that's really fun.

:)

Earlier this year the wife and I went on a Holland America cruise on the Westerdam. The fare was too good to pass up and we booked within a month of sailing. A couple of days later I received an email from Holland America claiming that because of a rather large group that had booked the cruise we weren't guaranteed that we could eat when and where we wanted and that the best time to eat would be between 5:30 and 7pm.

When I took to the roll call I found out that other people got the same email and were upset. We later found out it was some inspirational cruise with the Sandy Patty group. They had 750 members, about one third of the passengers.

It turned out to be much ado about nothing as they had their own shows in the main showroom separate from the regular shows. In fact, the ship often felt empty when they were busy. The dinner wasn't a factor either.

I'm not sure if they book other cruise lines but this is another group to watch out for if you are concerned about large groups.

• 2 weeks later...
It would depend on what type of group was sailing. Some groups can be uncivilized and make for a horrible cruise.

I just returned a week ago from a cruise on the Norwegian Epic in the Western Mediterranean and the ports were wonderful. Every tour we planned privately went off perfect, but on the ship we were constantly bumping into extremely rude people who, I'm assuming, were all from the same very large group of women who won the cruise as an incentive prize from their company. When I came home I googled the name and found it posted on Facebook that this trip was planned for them last September. I had no idea this was going on. Someone said there were 3500 of them; my guess is that's a bit high, but it is possible given the large number of groups who were assigned to disembark on separate decks 15 minutes apart.

My question: do ALL cruise lines cater to special groups or allow very large groups to pretty much "take over" the ship? I'd really like to know in case I decide to cruise again; today my response is "never cruising again".

I just returned a week ago from a cruise on the Norwegian Epic in the Western Mediterranean and the ports were wonderful. Every tour we planned privately went off perfect, but on the ship we were constantly bumping into extremely rude people who, I'm assuming, were all from the same very large group of women who won the cruise as an incentive prize from their company. When I came home I googled the name and found it posted on Facebook that this trip was planned for them last September. I had no idea this was going on. Someone said there were 3500 of them; my guess is that's a bit high, but it is possible given the large number of groups who were assigned to disembark on separate decks 15 minutes apart.

My question: do ALL cruise lines cater to special groups or allow very large groups to pretty much "take over" the ship? I'd really like to know in case I decide to cruise again; today my response is "never cruising again".

Sorry to hear that this group ruined your cruising experience. It is a big money maker and most lines do large group bookings. It is not every cruise that is why the link at the beginning of this thread is so helpful. It can give you a sense when some of these groups are booked. It is a shame that people cannot respect other people. We save for these vacations and no one deserves to have them ruined by inconsiderate people.

Thank you so much for brining this here; can you tell the name of the group here that had booked the ship charter? It would help future cruisers from what you experienced.

Many of us have had the same experiences and would like to avoid it so giving the name here would be helpful. Sorry it happened to you and your vacation. I am not convinced the cruise lines are aware of how much the charters affect other passengers, JMHO. I would like to think they care but maybe not.

This spreadsheet is genius for us frequent cruisers.

Thanks to all who have added to help us all.

Safe cruising all! :)

Thank you so much for brining this here; can you tell the name of the group here that had booked the ship charter? It would help future cruisers from what you experienced.

Many of us have had the same experiences and would like to avoid it so giving the name here would be helpful. Sorry it happened to you and your vacation. I am not convinced the cruise lines are aware of how much the charters affect other passengers, JMHO. I would like to think they care but maybe not.

This spreadsheet is genius for us frequent cruisers.

Thanks to all who have added to help us all.

Safe cruising all! :)

I'm sorry, I'm new at this site and unsure of how much I can post with direct information. I can only find their Facebook note regarding the planned cruise. I'm not sure how to find out any other information. This is a global company and those we encountered were not speaking English. I am not prejudice against any one group; however, if being rude is their culture it is unacceptable to us.

Jeunesse Mediterranean Cruise Incentive Trip 2016

In May of 2016, Jeunesse’s top business builders will set sail on the Norwegian Epic for an awe-inspiring tour of the Mediterranean Sea’s finest offerings. With ports of call including Civitavecchia, Naples, and Cannes, our Distributors will be treated to the marvelous treasures of some of Europe’s oldest cities.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I tried to add this to the spreadsheet, but couldn't seem to get it to work. Must be doing something wrong, but darned if I can figure it out LOL :rolleyes:

Norwegian Jewel (Group Cruise)

October 9-16, 2016 Collin Raye's Big 25 Tour Celebration Cruise (Country Music)

http://www.collinrayecruise.com/

Thought this was such an informative thread that I wanted to bump it back up.

A member of our roll call advised that February 4-11, 2017 on the Escape will be a Folk and Irish cruise

http://WWW.JOANIEMADDENCRUISE.COM

No specifics re the daily agenda. Poster stated 750 people; around 60 entertainers.

Planned a b2b and was looking forward to the Super Bowl on the Escape - it was great fun last year. Awaiting more information on the impact of this large group to restaurants, venues, etc (closures, limited availability, etc) before deciding if I will cancel. Hopefully they will post more information before final payment/refund impact.

Agree with other posters that NCL should disclose when booking; also feel a preliminary agenda should be available. From NCL's perspective, what has the greatest business impact -a cruiser choosing a different date at booking, rescheduling when finding they are sailing on a charter or unhappy passengers post cruise telling everyone they know of any perceived or actual negatives and that there was no transparency by the cruise line?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi:

The cruise I am sailing on the Breakaway October 9-16 has an 80's music theme/group attending. I cringed when I found out - I grew up in the 80's and despised the music lol! Can't change the date of the cruise.

I cruised Carnival years ago during a commercial shoot with Kathie Lee and Frank Gifford, Regis Philbin, Willard Scott and Richard Simmons. The late seating for dinner was closed. Many venues were closed, elevators were roped off - god forbid Kathie Lee took the elevator with any of the commoners! Pool areas were closed during sea days for commercial shoots. Unbelievable! I wrote a letter to Micky Aronson when I got home and was sent a $100 coupon on my next cruise. I ripped up the coupon and mailed it back. Needless to say I never cruised Carnival again and never will. Different themes/groups/going ons can ruin ones vacation.