2016-2017 incentive/group cruises on NCL

I am on the Escape with the deaf tour group. Should I consider changing my dates or does any one know if they are pretty low key and dont take up to much of the time in restaurants?

I know that you are trying your hand at being amusing here but honestly it's not funny

17 posts just joined so welcome to cc

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know that you are trying your hand at being amusing here but honestly it's not funny

17 posts just joined so welcome to cc

I am sorry I did not mean to be disrespectful. This cruise is a big deal to me and I want to make sure me and my fiance are able to do the things we want, without things being shut down for a special group. I was just reading many of the horor stories about bars being closed off and resturants and just got worried. So again I am sorry.

I am sorry I did not mean to be disrespectful. This cruise is a big deal to me and I want to make sure me and my fiance are able to do the things we want, without things being shut down for a special group. I was just reading many of the horor stories about bars being closed off and resturants and just got worried. So again I am sorry.

You weren't, and don't apologize. Some people prefer to wear tin foil hats ...

I agree if I booked a cruise and had a venue closed for sail away or any reason, a specialty restaurant off limits for everyone, I would be incensed! I understand any cruise line booking a group, but to take any part of my cruise away, not a happy cruiser! If they want to close one of the MDR’s where multiple are available go for it, however don’t tell me I can’teat say at Cagney’s all week until 9:30 or wave from the H2o Spice, etc. during sail away, simply not right. If a “group”can’t book the whole ship, then don’t take my cruise enjoyment from me or let me know when I book what the situation is. And don’t anyone give me a fine print explanation!

Edited by RedRover96

• 1 month later...

On the January 14, 2018 Pearl cruise from New Orleans there are a large number of people from the "Grown & Sexy" group sailing. I checked out their Facebook page and I believe that there may be about 700 going.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

updated the spreadsheet to include:

• Sixthman’s third annual Walker Stalker Cruise is setting sail January 26–30, 2018, aboard Norwegian Pearl sailing roundtrip from New Orleans to Cozumel. The lineup includes undead cast and crew of AMC’s The Walking Dead including Robert Kirkman, creator of The Walking Dead; Norman Reedus (Daryl), Lauren Cohan(Maggie), Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Negan), Alanna Masterson (Tara), and special effects guru, director, producer, and writer, Greg Nicotero. Guests can take part in panels, photo ops, autograph sessions, cosplay contests, theme nights, and more to be announced.

• 2 months later...

This is after the fact but we just got off the Jade 14 night sailing September 11-25. The majority of passengers were Chinese. 800 in one group and then two others for a total of 1400 out of 2800 total passengers onboard. It made dining and getting about the ship quite difficult as they went places in mass and so even walking into an elevator or getting off an elevator was not easy. I suspected the ship was partially chartered almost a year ago when it sold out but was reassured that it wasn't. Needless to say it did affect our ability to use the ship for a relaxing vacation. Pretty much a push and shove every day and we ended up retreating to our cabin when onboard and ordered room service often. Not sure if this is the future of the cruise industry but if it is we're not sure we'll be spending our vacation dollars and time on such an exhaustive process. Witnessed people melting down and fighting daily.

This is after the fact but we just got off the Jade 14 night sailing September 11-25. The majority of passengers were Chinese. 800 in one group and then two others for a total of 1400 out of 2800 total passengers onboard. It made dining and getting about the ship quite difficult as they went places in mass and so even walking into an elevator or getting off an elevator was not easy. I suspected the ship was partially chartered almost a year ago when it sold out but was reassured that it wasn't. Needless to say it did affect our ability to use the ship for a relaxing vacation. Pretty much a push and shove every day and we ended up retreating to our cabin when onboard and ordered room service often. Not sure if this is the future of the cruise industry but if it is we're not sure we'll be spending our vacation dollars and time on such an exhaustive process. Witnessed people melting down and fighting daily.

Oh man that stinks, sorry.

Wow, so sorry this was your experience. I can't imagine the problems you would have encountered. We were on a cruise when there seemed to be a very high volume of Orientals around and there were times it seemed difficult to move around the ship.

I wonder if it will become the norm too.

Cheers

Wow, so sorry this was your experience. I can't imagine the problems you would have encountered. We were on a cruise when there seemed to be a very high volume of Orientals around and there were times it seemed difficult to move around the ship.

I wonder if it will become the norm too.

Cheers

It was not the ethnicity of the folks who had partial charter at all. Many were very polite and I've seen just as many rude Americans.... it was the group charter mentality and just cultural differences. they were accustomed to cramming as many as possible inside an elevator. Their traffic patterns were just overwhelming and we just were not used to the pushing and shoving where as I think that was their norm. I think they were also concerned about sticking with their group and so pushing and shoving to stay with their groups became a critical part of their days. Food was like a grab fest and it was simply overwhelming to try and eat in the buffet, stand in a line for dinner with hundreds shoving past. In the end we got used to it. They were very early risers and early to bed. When they were out it was in mass but adjusting our schedules around theirs helped or perhaps we just got used to it. It wasn't an ideal situation and not one I would intentionally put myself into willingly and pay so dearly for but it could have been worse. They weren't drunk and obnoxious. Just oblivious to western culture. I think the Chinese market is growing exponentially and so I suspect we will all be on similar vacations in the near future. If on a ship with only so much room it is impossible to escape so it would be great if we all had a little notice and perhaps some pointers to make each other's vacations a little less invasive.

• 1 month later...
It was not the ethnicity of the folks who had partial charter at all. Many were very polite and I've seen just as many rude Americans.... it was the group charter mentality and just cultural differences. they were accustomed to cramming as many as possible inside an elevator. Their traffic patterns were just overwhelming and we just were not used to the pushing and shoving where as I think that was their norm. I think they were also concerned about sticking with their group and so pushing and shoving to stay with their groups became a critical part of their days. Food was like a grab fest and it was simply overwhelming to try and eat in the buffet, stand in a line for dinner with hundreds shoving past. In the end we got used to it. They were very early risers and early to bed. When they were out it was in mass but adjusting our schedules around theirs helped or perhaps we just got used to it. It wasn't an ideal situation and not one I would intentionally put myself into willingly and pay so dearly for but it could have been worse. They weren't drunk and obnoxious. Just oblivious to western culture. I think the Chinese market is growing exponentially and so I suspect we will all be on similar vacations in the near future. If on a ship with only so much room it is impossible to escape so it would be great if we all had a little notice and perhaps some pointers to make each other's vacations a little less invasive.
So happy to have found this site!!! Just got off an Aqua Fest cruise and some of the things I saw and heard made me want to stay in my cabin! My next cruise is Dec. 5-14, 2017. I called NCL and asked about large groups but the guy tried to get info and couldn't. I don't see it on here, but I can't get through to the sheet. It says I have to update something and that doesn't work. Anybody hear anything about this cruise? Again, thanks a lot. And please take into account I'm in my late 60's so this is just a hard adjustment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Sorry but I don’t think you can find out about partial charters prior from the cruise line. It’s basically only found out if someone happens to post on this thread. Some warning signs in hindsight that should have given me a clue- the charter I was on was showing a lot of availability. Then a full year prior to sailing it sold out. There was intermittent availability on a few cabins. The roll call was also very quiet compared to the exact sailing earlier in the season. I questioned my pcc from Ncl and also voiced some concerns about it on the roll call but we didn’t get anything from Ncl prior despite asking if any large groups had booked. It wasn’t till boarding the ship that I noticed I was one of the few English speaking people and that the majority were pushing and shoving even prior to boarding the ship. NCL had a separate suite area prior to boarding that was roped off from general boarding area. I was serving myself a snack (had a suite booked so was cleared for the area)and the charter folks simply removed the divider and shoved me aside as in nearly knocked me over and about 100 of them devoured everything that was set out. NCL preboarding staff had no way to stop it. From there it went downhill. NCL staff resorted to inspections of bags prior to debark each port day because the food and utensils were taken ashore each day. Sitting in the dining room we’d be sitting in the midst of large tables. Everyone at the tables surrounding us was up and walking around showing their group pictures. Voice volumes were so loud that we couldn’t hear each other when we tried to speak let alone trying to take a bite of food without someone bumping my chair... that was the mdr. It was much less civilized in the buffet.

Edited by littlelulu01

So happy to have found this site!!! Just got off an Aqua Fest cruise and some of the things I saw and heard made me want to stay in my cabin! My next cruise is Dec. 5-14, 2017. I called NCL and asked about large groups but the guy tried to get info and couldn't. I don't see it on here, but I can't get through to the sheet. It says I have to update something and that doesn't work. Anybody hear anything about this cruise? Again, thanks a lot. And please take into account I'm in my late 60's so this is just a hard adjustment.

I checked this spreadsheet and there are no charters posted for any NCL ship Dec. 5-14, 2017. Again all that means is that no one has posted on here about an upcoming charter. Hopefully you won't have one. Enjoy your cruise.

I checked this spreadsheet and there are no charters posted for any NCL ship Dec. 5-14, 2017. Again all that means is that no one has posted on here about an upcoming charter. Hopefully you won't have one. Enjoy your cruise.
Thank you for checking. I really appreciate it. Last time I called they told me about the group, so since the guy couldn't find anything maybe it will be clear sailing!!! Thanks again!!![emoji4]

• 8 months later...

Ship unknown:

March 11-18 2017, Lifesource group, departure Miami, could be Escape,

Norwegian Escape:

November 12 - 19, 2016, MyDeafBlindCruise group, 215 pax signed up per Feb '16,

September 9 - 16, 2017, MyDeafCruise group,http://www.mydeafcruise.com/norwegianescape/

Norwegian Jewel:

June 18 - 25, 2016, Rocky & Marlene Finley's Freestyle Alaska Deaf / ASL Group Cruise, 15 pax signed up,

Norwegian Pearl:

May 29 - June 5, 2016, Mormon Deaf Group Cruise,

Anyone have experience with the deaf group? Just found out there will be a group on our sailing, and am considering changing if public areas were impacted by this group. Any info from those who have experienced this group is appreciated.

Anyone have experience with the deaf group? Just found out there will be a group on our sailing, and am considering changing if public areas were impacted by this group. Any info from those who have experienced this group is appreciated.

There was a sizable deaf group on our Escape cruise last October. The only way I knew they were even there was that there was a person standing, off to the side, signing for them at every event. It was a real hoot to watch the signer at the adult-only comedy show!!! I wouldn't change the cruise for that reason. They were just like anyone else, probably even more respectful of others than you would normally encounter.

Edited by JaysMom2

Why would you ever change a cruise because of this? It’s not like they are going to be loud wherever they are on the ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why would you ever change a cruise because of this? It’s not like they are going to be loud wherever they are on the ship!

You've obviously never been on one with a large group aboard. Sometimes they have private functions. Those functions close down venues that you should have access to.

Any time a large group is booked, it changes the entire dynamic and feel of the cruise, not to mention the closing of public areas, etc. This does not appear this will be one of them. It looks to be a very small group.

• 2 weeks later...