When would Oceania cancel a cruise?

rgaudet

Hi everyone,

My parents are booked on Marina August 15. This cruise has two stops in Belgium so they were worried about going there. They called Oceania and were told the were monitoring the situation, no changes yet. They did say that they had a lot of cancellations and later told them that the only way they would cancel a cruise was if it didn't hit their minimum guest number. So my question is, does anyone know what their minimum number would be? I'd have to think a ship would need to be nearly empty before they would cancel. Has anyone heard of them cancelling a cruise?

Thanks,

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Missing or skipping ports happen frequently, but I've never heard of them cancelling cruises. This includes when I think they should, in reference to the current Riveria situation, so to take measures to rid the ship of norovirus.

A couple of things will happen before any cruises are cancelled. I have friends living in England. They get spectacular deal offerings to fill in late-to last minute cruises that originate in Europe. Same goes with my TA, here in the States, to fill cruises that O wants to sail. Quietly mark down those cruises enough, and they will fill to adequate levels. Then they sail. Enough said. They might hit new ports, not currently published, or O will just save docking fees and your parents will have more "days at sea".

Hi everyone,

My parents are booked on Marina August 15. This cruise has two stops in Belgium so they were worried about going there. They called Oceania and were told the were monitoring the situation, no changes yet. They did say that they had a lot of cancellations and later told them that the only way they would cancel a cruise was if it didn't hit their minimum guest number. So my question is, does anyone know what their minimum number would be? I'd have to think a ship would need to be nearly empty before they would cancel. Has anyone heard of them cancelling a cruise?

Thanks,

Rob

Usually cruise lines will skip a port if they believe that it is unsafe to visit that port but it would be very very unusual to actually cancel a cruise.

Our first cruise on Oceania (in February 2004) was very undersold. I think we had about 500 people on board. They DID come up with bargains to see more cabins. But I also have never heard of a cruise being cancelled due to lack of interest (for whatever reason).

Mura

Just a side note, the sailing I mentioned, August 15, does looks to only be half full. You would have to think they would lose money on the cruise. But would lose even more if they cancelled.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at all the sailings for Marina in August you will also note that your cruise is part of a larger itinerary and so your cabins that show unsold may be sold for the longer cruise. The 30 day cruise which includes yours is shown as much more sold.

With problems on Europe, which are sad and regrettable, It is also a window of opportunity for potential exceptional discounts or offerings.

SO there may very well be a silver lining within those dark clouds....Personaly I think that the absoulte safest way to vacation is on a ship... And O's ships, for me are destinations of and in themselves. . You dont to have to get off in a port or place you dont like or spooks you for any reason...

Just a side note, the sailing I mentioned, August 15, does looks to only be half full. You would have to think they would lose money on the cruise. But would lose even more if they cancelled.

Rob

I have never know a cruise to be cancelled for lack of interest

Unless you have access to Oceania reservation system you do not know how well or not the sailing is selling

If not selling well there will be offers, discounts etc

Rob

Aug 15th is an eternity from now for the Revenue Management dept.

1. The cruise will not be cancelled if enough passengers are booked.

2. If cruise lines deem it unwise to call at certain ports re security/ safety of guests then they will alter the itinerary to delete a problem port and insert a replacement usually .

3. Stop worrying trust Oceania they asess these things on a daily basis ,

So cancellation NOT likely , (usually only if low bookings or mechanical problem with a vessel), change of itinerary possibly YES often at short notice.

Stop worrying, and roll with the punches !!!

Edited by kuldalai

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Rob

Whoever told your parents that was incorrect..believe me they would get the numbers to send the cruise out..

Jancruz1

If you are worried about Europe situation cancel. There is always another cruise opportunity. Remember the ship is on a schedule and needs to get to next emb. port. I was on a cruise in Caribbean once in bad weather which only landed one port out of ten.The ship had to sail.