RCL Staff? I felt uneasy

I agree...the staff is not of importance to me...(I know what sounds bad...but hey!) When I travel and we're in a hotel...I don't "make friends" with the staff....ever! They are paid to do their job...I PAY for whatever amenities are there....I just don't understand why folks feel the need to be "friendly" with a cruise staff.....Yeah...you're on the ship for a week....I've been in hotels for a week, too!

You are paying a premium to vacation...and part of the vacation experience is the staff that's trained to make your stay nice....that's all you can expect. They are NOT your buddies....they have TONS of cabins to care for....tons of folks to serve at dinner....be polite and not "needy"...and all will be good!

I agree with this to an extent. We always get to know our server and his/her assistant. They always are friendly and outgoing and just generally, have more time to get to know you, especially on a longer (7 day+) cruise.

I find it quite amazing the amount of people who have replied and think it's their given right to "pay" and not care ,

these staff who as I mentioned do an amazing job - work all day , not an 8hr day with a family to see at night or weekend off or day off that because you have paid for this service then it's fine that they don't get to properly speak to another human , colleagues or customer for more than a yes / Thankyou/ hello .

I'm afraid we are not seeing US / UK /Canadian etc doing these lower jobs as they are all working for better wages doing the less hourly jobs of dancing , singing and laughing with the fellow cruisers ,

the Asian guy who will Be getting paid far less serving all day in wind jammer didn't get to talk properly than being a subservient human all day , every day , for 7 solid months of his working day ?

Yes I understand many cruise lines workers work the same work and shift patterns but they have had time to talk and almost have the confidence to talk that they won't be told off and by talking a mean a friendly few words than "Thankyou I don't need a drink" morning " can I have some water " etc. (P.s to the reply why are you wanting to make friends with the workers and not fellow cruisers I'm the type of person who is happy to make friends with anyone from any background)

To me i felt they were not as happy as other workers on other cruise lines , I'm not blaming RC totally at the end of the day maybe they just had a very tiring week but I doubt that's why .

I'm very surprised at some of these replies , wether we have paid for a vacation I'd still expect smiley staff , my other all inclusive holidays have had chatty happy staff and our other cruises also , I don't think it's because some are Eastern European either as the Other nationalities were the same .

I just find it sad , a little like having a servant and not caring about them .

I care and I'd like to think the person providing my wonderful holiday is happy with their life and that's contributing to them having a happy life also

Ps- I'm a she :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As the title really just got off our first RC cruise and the staff were super and helpful and did their job as required but I couldn't help but feel the normal staff (not cruise directors US/UK / shop staff) felt unhappy , over worked and just an atmosphere that they were sad ?

On other cruises (non RC) both my husband and I felt we could talk more to staff , have a laugh and a chat if needed and well we felt as ease .

My parents have been on many many cruises and they felt the same along with some other friends commenting also?

The staff don't get me wrong worked amazing but it seemed they were always looking over their shoulder that they would get told off for having a quick chat , also having spoken to many staff they seemed tired and over worked?

Has anyone else found this?

On other cruises we've made friends more with staff, had a random chat here and there and well that made us feel happier but I just felt so bad on the anthem .

I experienced the same thing only once: on the Vision of the Seas sailing her first itinerary after returning from Europe!!

Our cruise was a 28-day B2B from Ft. Lauderdale, through the Panama Canal to San Diego, and back.

When we boarded in Ft. Lauderdale we were immediately noticed how unhappy and emotionally drained the crew was. They remained this way until our "Turnaround Day" in San Diego.

In San Diego the large number of European guests disembarked and were replaced with a large number of Americans. EVERYTHING CHANGED!!!! Immediately, the entire crew appeared to have new life, were outgoing, and appeared happy and refreshed.

Our conclusion was that being crew on European sailings was a tough job.;)

Thank you! I don't understand this need some people have to "make friends" with the crew. Be friendly when you see them, sure. Maybe a chat if they've got time without interrupting their work. But I certainly don't expect the crew to become my BFFs on the ship.

I'm genuinely curious what people who do feel they need to become friends with the crew gain from that.

I never become friends with the crew, meaning exchanging phone numbers, Facebook or something like that.

But if you get to know them they have way more interesting stories to share than most of the passengers and they are great fun to talk to. I always got the impression that the staff is quite happy to talk about more than the usual 2 or 3 sentences.

But I do like the east european staff with their attitude and honesty as well.

I experienced the same thing only once: on the Vision of the Seas sailing her first itinerary after returning from Europe!!

Our cruise was a 28-day B2B from Ft. Lauderdale, through the Panama Canal to San Diego, and back.

When we boarded in Ft. Lauderdale we were immediately noticed how unhappy and emotionally drained the crew was. They remained this way until our "Turnaround Day" in San Diego.

In San Diego the large number of European guests disembarked and were replaced with a large number of Americans. EVERYTHING CHANGED!!!! Immediately, the entire crew appeared to have new life, were outgoing, and appeared happy and refreshed.

Our conclusion was that being crew on European sailings was a tough job.;)

There was likely a large crew turnover as well. There tends to be larger crew shifts with changes in "seasons" as in repositionings.

I agree...the staff is not of importance to me...(I know what sounds bad...but hey!) When I travel and we're in a hotel...I don't "make friends" with the staff....ever! They are paid to do their job...I PAY for whatever amenities are there....I just don't understand why folks feel the need to be "friendly" with a cruise staff.....Yeah...you're on the ship for a week....I've been in hotels for a week, too!

You are paying a premium to vacation...and part of the vacation experience is the staff that's trained to make your stay nice....that's all you can expect. They are NOT your buddies....they have TONS of cabins to care for....tons of folks to serve at dinner....be polite and not "needy"...and all will be good!

Need a like very much and totally agree button

I agree. I really do not care about the staff anymore or less than other workers. I pay for a service and they are to provide service. Really very simple, it is not my job to care about them, how hard they work, what they are paid. These are all things that should never be put on guest.

But cruise lines want to make you feel like it is the responsibility of the guest it is not. If the worker is not happy don't take the job. Which brings me to my next point, auto daily tips are nothing short of stealing from the guest. It is on Royal to pay their staff, not on me. A tip should be for extra service not just for doing your job.

If I have a fire at my house the fire department does not show up and say its really cold and icy today you should pay us extra to fight this fire. They just do the job they are paid for.

So if Royal wants to overwork the staff that is between Royal and the Staff.

I would note that this was a HUGE spring break cruise, and another poster stated that there were 2,000 children on board.

Just SEEING that makes ME exhausted! ;)

I don't know how the staff could handle 2000 children. I know I'd be bonkers!

I hope everybody over 21+ had the UBP! I know I would have needed it!

I can see why you were confused!

Just to clarify my earlier statement...

I NEVER said I don't care about the staff. I am polite and friendly and will chat IF there is time and the opportunity comes up. Last February I had a wonderful conversation with one of the general housekeepers (as in the main areas) on the Disney Fantasy who had gotten permission to take her break to watch us sail into St. Maarten as she had grown up there. We had a lovely chat and she pointed out some places as we sailed in. I had a bartender in the coffee bar in the mornings and the atrium bar in the evenings who I'd chat with when he wasn't busy. I would have brief chats with my cabin steward when I saw her. And brief chats with my dining room service team. But nothing that impacted their ability to do their jobs or their service of any other guests they were responsible for.

I do not feel the need to stop them from doing their job - or slow up service for anyone else in the dining room - by having long drawn out conversations and becoming "friends". Be polite, don't treat them like servants, chat BRIEFLY about where they come from and/or their family if the opportunity arises, sure. But sharing entire life stories? No, I'm sorry. I don't feel that's appropriate. (And honestly I think that oversharing can lead to what some have reported as the guilt trips where they then feel bad for not tipping more - or tipping ridiculously high amounts because of the story they've been sold by crew member X.)

Being friendly to the guests is certainly in their job description. Being friendly and polite to the crew should be part of our responsibility back to them. Becoming friends with them is not.

So just for chuckles and grins, since "uneasy" created issues at the beginning, I did notice the OP is from the UK. We (US/UK) are two people separated by a common language. The OED emphasizes "uncomfortable"; Webster emphasizes worried and troubled. Without putting words in their mouth, I assumed they were saying it just didn't feel right. Which having travelled in the UK a lot, I get. I find just about everyone chats, albeit briefly. Cabbies chat, doormen chat, bartenders chat. Usually not for long, as in hello, how are you, and move on, unless you start talking about football, of course. It's normal, and part of the pace of life.

When we first started cruising RCI eight years ago, it was normal for crew to do the same. We never had long conversations or talked about their kids or spouses or homes or anything, but "hello" was normal; it doesn't seem to be anymore. I assume that's directly related to whatever percent of staff cuts have occurred and what certainly seems to be a decreased staff to passenger ratio. It's something I've noticed, but really don't pay much attention to. I'm a typical suburban American; I rarely say hi to my neighbors, much less anyone else. But that attitude is NOT normal in much of the world.

Maybe it is just me (I hope not), but I have developed a habit of saying "Hi" or 'nodding my head" or 'wave my hand' to people as I pass them in my normal day. When on a cruise I do the same. It doesn't mean that we will engage in a lengthy conversation or even a short chat. Sometimes a little conversation starts.....and I do feel I am a 'typical suburban American' and this typical suburban American even grew up in NYC, where we were raised to be 'aware of those around us' when walking down the street.

I attempt to give out 'happy' or 'nice' vibes and maybe I get back the vibes from others of happiness and a welcome ness to respond in kind with a smile or a quick 'hello'.

I know the staff has a very hard job. Most cruisers probably would not sign on for the job any of these people have -- it is so hard. The word 'uneasy' to me, gives forth a 'potential fear or fright' and that doesn't seem correct. I am also 'not uneasy' around people that work hard, as the staff does. I respect the hard work they do, for me to make my cruise enjoyable.

I have been on plenty of cruises and on our last cruise in November over Thanksgiving week, with a passenger load that was at its max with over 1100 kids onboard, the staff TO ME, was the same friendly staff and never made me feel anything but pleasant. I expect that to be the same on the next cruises we take.

I will not change my perspective as a cruiser, and expect the same will be from them.

Seriously? They don't get "a day off".

And YOUR cruise was the spring break cruise.

Go here and scroll down a bit to where the Q&A starts with a former cruise employee. They are worked very hard with very little time off. It doesn't seem to be a dream job by any means.

Edited by Xpresser

I find it quite amazing the amount of people who have replied and think it's their given right to "pay" and not care ,

these staff who as I mentioned do an amazing job - work all day , not an 8hr day with a family to see at night or weekend off or day off that because you have paid for this service then it's fine that they don't get to properly speak to another human , colleagues or customer for more than a yes / Thankyou/ hello .

I'm afraid we are not seeing US / UK /Canadian etc doing these lower jobs as they are all working for better wages doing the less hourly jobs of dancing , singing and laughing with the fellow cruisers ,

the Asian guy who will Be getting paid far less serving all day in wind jammer didn't get to talk properly than being a subservient human all day , every day , for 7 solid months of his working day ?

Yes I understand many cruise lines workers work the same work and shift patterns but they have had time to talk and almost have the confidence to talk that they won't be told off and by talking a mean a friendly few words than "Thankyou I don't need a drink" morning " can I have some water " etc. (P.s to the reply why are you wanting to make friends with the workers and not fellow cruisers I'm the type of person who is happy to make friends with anyone from any background)

To me i felt they were not as happy as other workers on other cruise lines , I'm not blaming RC totally at the end of the day maybe they just had a very tiring week but I doubt that's why .

I'm very surprised at some of these replies , wether we have paid for a vacation I'd still expect smiley staff , my other all inclusive holidays have had chatty happy staff and our other cruises also , I don't think it's because some are Eastern European either as the Other nationalities were the same .

I just find it sad , a little like having a servant and not caring about them .

I care and I'd like to think the person providing my wonderful holiday is happy with their life and that's contributing to them having a happy life also

Ps- I'm a she :)

As one who has cruised many times with RC I have always found each and every crew to be very congenial and appear to enjoy a short bit of conversation from time to time, especially if you engage them. It would seem that based on the comments on this thread many somehow feel that they are not to engage the crew in any sort of conversation so of course that air is likely felt by the crew member. I enjoy getting to know our room steward because after all he/she has access to everything you have brought on to the ship. I find even the crew members, of all nationalities , in the Windjammer like to engage a bit and most have a very quick sense of humor if so engaged. Plus I enjoy learning a little something about their native lands. I even engage the wait staff at a land restaurant in the harried world of Washington DC and from all appearances they seem to like it. I even know and converse with my neighbors. While I pay for my vacations I certainly do not feel that the crew members are my indentured servants. In the case of the Anthem I would imagine that 2000 kids might make anyone a little harried. Bottom line I agree with you that having some engagement with the crew is part of the experience and I will continue to do so. It always adds to my cruise experience. I do, however, recognize that it is different strokes for different folks. OP just keep on being congenial!!

Edited by Laid-back

I have sailed many nights on the Anthem. And MANY nights on most of the other Royal Caribbean ships. (and I have cheated with a couple of other cruise lines. ;))

I find that almost all of the Royal Caribbean employees on my cruises smile, say hello first or say hello back. I found it many years ago and I find it now. And I find that to be the standard operating procedure on Royal Caribbean. Not so much on other lines.

So.....................

I think that my experiences must have been markedly different from those of the OP.

For the most part I agree with Merion_Mom (No shock there). Still, I prefer it when I can get to know a few crew members. They are invariably interesting people with great stories and local knowledge. Of course, most of my BFFs for the week are bartenders (I wonder why?)

That said, we had two consecutive cruises a couple of years ago where the crew was so obviously understaffed that service quality suffered noticeably. I'm not talking about smiles and conversations, but actual dining room or bar service and the old WOW feeling (we're glad you're here) was absent. Fortunately, on our last two cruises (Adventure and Majesty) it was back in force.

As the title really just got off our first RC cruise and the staff were super and helpful and did their job as required but I couldn't help but feel the normal staff (not cruise directors US/UK / shop staff) felt unhappy , over worked and just an atmosphere that they were sad ?

On other cruises (non RC) both my husband and I felt we could talk more to staff , have a laugh and a chat if needed and well we felt as ease .

My parents have been on many many cruises and they felt the same along with some other friends commenting also?

The staff don't get me wrong worked amazing but it seemed they were always looking over their shoulder that they would get told off for having a quick chat , also having spoken to many staff they seemed tired and over worked?

Has anyone else found this?

On other cruises we've made friends more with staff, had a random chat here and there and well that made us feel happier but I just felt so bad on the anthem .

In all the cruises I've taken (all with RCI), I've NEVER felt this way even when we were on a spring break cruise with over a 1,000 college kids on one of the smaller ships, Vision of the Seas. I did notice that during spring break the cabin attendants were definitely having to work extra hard. On Vision, if a cabin could sleep 4, there were 4 college kids in the cabin. And as I was walking down the hallway and looked into these cabins while they were being cleaned, I was appalled at how disgustingly messy these kids were (i.e., piles of clothes everywhere - how is a cabin attendant supposed to clean when there's dirty clothes everywhere?).

IMO, I think you have just misunderstood the situation.

In all the cruises I've taken (all with RCI), I've NEVER felt this way even when we were on a spring break cruise with over a 1,000 college kids on one of the smaller ships, Vision of the Seas. I did notice that during spring break the cabin attendants were definitely having to work extra hard. On Vision, if a cabin could sleep 4, there were 4 college kids in the cabin. And as I was walking down the hallway and looked into these cabins while they were being cleaned, I was appalled at how disgustingly messy these kids were (i.e., piles of clothes everywhere - how is a cabin attendant supposed to clean when there's dirty clothes everywhere?).

IMO, I think you have just misunderstood the situation.

We need a "Like" button on this board. We were on the cruise after Thanksgiving this past year and the Captain mentioned there had been over 1,100 kids on board for that cruise. He stated that on the current cruise, he and his crew were breathing a sigh of relief on this cruise. Not that they were complaining about the past cruise, but the amount of work was obviously more with a full ship.

As for cleaning up the cabins, I have been appalled when walking by some family cabins and seen the disaster that a cabin attendant was expected to clean up. Maybe we're different, but we always pick up our cabin and would never dream of leaving clothes strewn over the floor and shoes or towels everywhere. That puts extra work on the cabin attendant who is suppose to clean a cabin in a specific amount of time. Obviously, his time will be longer on super messy cabins.

In our experience, Royal's crews have always been courteous and many go out of their way for passengers. I'm not the chit chat type, but I'm not rude either. They have a job to do and my job is to enjoy my vacation and not make a best friend for life.

Edited by kalliekae

But on occasion a room steward has, well, looked or pretended to be tired, maybe rightfully so. As stated above, 2000 kids, WOW, if you glimpse into many cabins as you walk by, you cannot see the beds or floor for all the junk, stuff, garbage, food spilled. I can see why some newer room stewards, would be totally overwhelm.

Yeah, I don't get the shape some people leave their cabins in either!!

Of course, I do remember when we took our first cruise on the SS Emerald Seas when I was in 6th grade... My dad left his socks and maybe a shirt on his bed (he and mom had the bottom berths and my sister and I had the top ones) after changing for dinner. When we got back to the cabin, three of our beds were turned down, but Daddy's was untouched! So I ALWAYS keep my stuff picked up in my cabin - and usually will pull the covers up when I leave in the morning. I've had more than one steward comment that if they didn't see me coming and going (or note that the Compass or whatever it is called on whatever line I am on) they would never know anyone was staying in the cabin! :)

If you want to read something about behind the scenes, read Cruise Confidential by Brian David Bruns. He decided to work on a cruise ship hoping to work with his girlfriend. He made dreadful circumstances interesting and sometimes humorous. I think of him when I interact with any crew members.

I'm also reminded of a friend who exchanged email addresses with a waiter who she exchanged family and kids stories with. A couple of months later she got an email that he planned to emigrate when his contract was up and wanted her to sponsor him. She had a hard time telling him no, but didn't feel comfortable with the situation. She wound up changing her email address because he kept contacting her.

If you want to read something about behind the scenes, read Cruise Confidential by Brian David Bruns. He decided to work on a cruise ship hoping to work with his girlfriend. He made dreadful circumstances interesting and sometimes humorous. I think of him when I interact with any crew members.

This has been mentioned in post #36 of this thread

I was on the 12 day sailing prior to the cruise the OP was on. In one word I would describe the staff as "guarded". We found that if you smiled or said hello or chatted a little and the staff saw that you wanted to talk about positive things as opposed to negative things i.e. Complain then their whole demeanor changed. I personally could understand where they were coming from on this given the negative situations on a few of the cruises previous to ours. There was a lot of complainers everywhere on our cruise and I think the staff was so guarded over the past couple months cruises they just couldn't open themselves up to it over and over again. On top of this they had been at a high level of sanitation given the Noro outbreak and the amount of extra work cleaning every single day multiple times a day I think they were exhausted physically and emotionally. I did not feel that it impacted our family cruise because I go through life looking at the whole picture/situation rather than expect other people to cater to me. I know people will say that they pay good money for the cruise experience and I pay that same good money I am just saying that a little bit of understanding and compassion and being responsible for yourself can make life a much nicer place for everyone. I do like to talk to the staff because I am interested in learning about their countries and I like my kids to hear about the different cultures when they are talking about their countries but cheerful chatting and being kind to everyone is as far as it really needs to go for us. I have been on many cruises with RC and I have had many levels of service from staff and it just makes each cruise different from the last.

We did a Celebrity Infinity cruise last year from San Fran to Alaska and every time your talked to a crew member, be it cabin, dining or crew the standard answer to ' How are you ? ' was always ' Excellent'. Like they have been instructed to say 1 word and keep moving. I gave up trying to be nice.:(

Yes I know they have stuff to do.

~ Morning All ~

After reading the initial few post that started this thread and skimming threw to the last page .

Please don't get Me wrong , however over the years cruising we have met so many staff and crew alike . ( Some we have seen more then once cruising )

People who sign up to work on cruise ships aren't doing it for anything else other then a income . { Some may do a single contract / thinking they can cruise the world ! } Then reality kicks in .

It truly is amazing when you stop and think about what it is they are really doing . Most people on cruise's aren't there to make friends with the crew , they are wanting room service , their ice bucket filled , things we take for granite at our own home ! These individuals willingly sign a contract to leave their family / friends / kids / the life they knew behind .

So yes it's got to be rough on them . And there's another side also ~ The lifers as We / I have come to call them . People who right out of school sign on the dotted line and have been doing it ever since .

[ Here's one for you ] ~ A few years back our oldest daughter was expecting ~ Our now Granddaughter ~ We got the call while coming up the Chesapeake Bay that she had gone into labor earlier then expected ! ~ You'd of thought we won the lottery / Staff & Crew alike where wishing us well that morning ! ~ Quickest Disembarkation Ever ~ :D

So it's not that they aren't happy ! It's the fact that they work harder and longer as well as most work double duty which most people don't realize , and the ones who do take the time to make that special connection with you / me or anyone else ! Those are the ones that make you want to cruise again .

Sometimes slowing down isn't really the issue . It's trying to keep up with the pace that they endure week in / week out !

Hope everyone has a nice day !

J.L.

We did a Celebrity Infinity cruise last year from San Fran to Alaska and every time your talked to a crew member, be it cabin, dining or crew the standard answer to ' How are you ? ' was always ' Excellent'. Like they have been instructed to say 1 word and keep moving. I gave up trying to be nice.:(

Yes I know they have stuff to do.

Personally, I will never give up on trying to be nice and cordial. I don't think management has instructed them to give one word answers and keep moving, but perhaps experience has taught them that it is the best way. I can only imagine how many cruisers complain to them about things that are totally out of their control and when they give the cruiser the suggestion of who to talk with about the situation, that cruiser is disappointed in the answer, expecting that the staff/crew member would drop what they are doing and attend to their matter.

• 1 month later...

I see a cultural divide between the USA and European sensibilities here. Having a disregard for others welfare, especially 'foreigners' or the poor is part and parcel of the same issue.

Don't get me started on the country responsible for the deaths of over 20,000,000 people since the END of WWII...

'No land beyond my claim...'