Turkey Travel Warning issued March 29, 2016

Boscodog

How can Celebrity not cancel Turkish Ports of call after this warning issued today :

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of increased threats from terrorist groups throughout Turkey and to avoid travel to southeastern Turkey. Effective March 29, 2016, the Department of State ordered the departure of family members of U.S. government personnel posted to U.S. Consulate in Adana and family members of U.S. government civilians in Izmir and Mugla provinces, and restricted official travel to Turkey to “mission-critical” travel only. U.S. Consulate in Adana remains open and will provide all routine consular services. This Travel Warning replaces the Travel Warning dated March 17, 2016.

Foreign and U.S. tourists have been explicitly targeted by international and indigenous terrorist organizations. U.S. citizens are reminded to review personal security plans and remain vigilant at all times. U.S. government personnel in Turkey remain subject to travel restrictions in southeastern provinces of Hatay, Kilis, Gaziantep, Sanliurfa, Sirnak, Diyarbakir, Van, Siirt, Mus, Mardin, Batman, Bingol, Tunceli, Hakkari, Bitlis, and Elazig. U.S. citizens should avoid areas in close proximity to the Syrian border.

I was just remarking about this on my Roll Call for Oct.

If and when X does cancel the rest of our Turkish ports, we'll just roll with the tide and go wherever the ship goes.

Edited by C-Dragons

The warning is for an area about 400 miles away. Nothing near Istanbul. It is Eastern Turkey. Understand everyone has a different comfort level and will just say DW and I are heading to Spain and France is 2 weeks. If we give in to terrorists they win. terrorism is alive and unfortunately well worldwide. Australia, Canada and the USA have had incidents as well.

The warning is for an area about 400 miles away. Nothing near Istanbul. It is Eastern Turkey. Understand everyone has a different comfort level and will just say DW and I are heading to Spain and France is 2 weeks. If we give in to terrorists they win. terrorism is alive and unfortunately well worldwide. Australia, Canada and the USA have had incidents as well.

One of the areas that the state department is evacuating is Izmir which is a little more than an hour away from Kusadesi. I am not cancelling my trip but it is definitely putting a damper on the excitement. We have been planning this bucket list trip for over a year.

Thank you for posting but if you read the last paragraph it again is referring to south east turkey and it would make sense that US military bases close to the border would be a target.

Thank you for posting but if you read the last paragraph it again is referring to south east turkey and it would make sense that US military bases close to the border would be a target.

I do agree that there is a larger threat near the Syrian border, however in the following paragraph:

The State Department warned earlier this month of increased threats by terrorist groups throughout Turkey and advised Americans not to travel to southeastern Turkey, closer to Syria and Iraq.

The terrorist threats throughout Turkey (especially tourist areas) will have Celebrity and other cruise lines to change itineraries. This will probably increase bookings

Edited by Boscodog

Getting killed by a Texting driver or distracted driver is more of a problem and the governments state and National does not seem to care. Only this morning on the way to my spa, I was almost wasted by a driver texting, I had to drive off the road to miss him.

Having said that, as mentioned above your comfort level of safety is likely to create issues with many people and cruise lines are no business exceptions, canceling a port or country is a probability.

Edited by north29

I was just remarking about this on my Roll Call for Oct.

If and when X does cancel the rest of our Turkish ports, we'll just roll with the tide and go wherever the ship goes.

Same with us...We booked the Reflection after they changed the itinerary that included the overnight in Istanbul because we have done the original route twice. I'm wondering where they will take us if Bodrum and Kusadasi are cancelled too.:confused:

Same with us...We booked the Reflection after they changed the itinerary that included the overnight in Istanbul because we have done the original route twice. I'm wondering where they will take us if Bodrum and Kusadasi are cancelled too.:confused:

I'm also wondering how much more my onboard bill will be with no Turkish stops :(. If we don't leave the EU I believe VAT kicks in

I believe a warning is more serious than an alert. Both of the provinces in which they are evacuating US family members border the province that Kusadasi is in. We are scheduled to be there in early June. I refuse to be terrorized however I also believe in common sense. Celebrity should cancel these ports until the warnings are lifted.

I'm also wondering how much more my onboard bill will be with no Turkish stops :(. If we don't leave the EU I believe VAT kicks in

We had the same problem last year on the Equinox. My husband was happy because I didn't spend too much money onboard. :(

If you look at it a little closer, it also includes the Mugla province, which is where Bodrum is, and the Izmir province, which is where Ephesus is.

If you look at it a little closer, it also includes the Mugla province, which is where Bodrum is, and the Izmir province, which is where Ephesus is.

Kusadasi is in Aydin Province but yes, Ephesus is in Izmir. But they're not bases. There is no general get out - there is obviously been some intelligence received about a threat against a base. The Izmir Province is 4,623 sq miles

Edited by Cruise Junky

I would still prefer if they cancelled the two Turkish ports. I'm travelling with two kids and intend staying onboard if we do stop. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable getting on a bus and travelling to Ephesus. I feel that those two days are wasted for me. It mightn't make sense to feel that way and I may be over reacting but as the time nears Im losing any inclination at all to disembark and explore. I love a port where you can stroll and browse and feel totally at ease. Initially I thought, when booking, that by the time summer came, things would have eased. But I don't think that's the case unfortunately.