Should I try Cunard

SueFrankuk

We are elite on Princess, Caribbean on P&O over 35 cruises would we get any benefits on Cunard?

On Princess we get free laundry, dry cleaning, mini bar set up 500 mins Internet as well as the cocktail parties, wine tasting and lunches.

We are looking at a Golden Triangle and 20 night cruise on QM2 next April but could I cope with a lot of snobby Brits, so used to travelling with Americans who have no such issues, even find it on P&O with them going on about standards dropping but looking forward to trying Britannia next week and we get so much OBC with them makes it a good deal

Would like some positive responses, 20 nights is a long time if you are not happy

Many thanks

Sue

Having done fifteen crossing and cruises on Cunard (as a Queens Grill passenger), and one on Princess (as a suite passenger) , I can answer some of your questions. First the one I am not sure about. Do you get any transferred credit as an elite traveler since Cunard, Princess and P&O are all owned by Carnival. There has been some talk of inter-brand loyalty, but I have not seen a notice of it. Perhaps others who answer your question will know, or a call to Cunard itself might have that answer.

I think you will find Cunard a more polite line that say princess from both the staff and customer perspectives. The food seems to be a bit better on Cunard, and if you choose the Grills you will find a substantially better food selection. If you travel in QG you will not have a mini bar, but an actual bar with real bottles of real spirits and wines, as well as you own butler.

I have found the passengers on Cunard to be gracious and friendly and have traveled on voyages of 6 to 18 days from a variety of departure ports. The crowd is a bit older, and perhaps a bit more prosperous than princess. The fact that you will enjoy formal nights with a chance to really dress up makes the voyage a bit more special. I can also say that I have made many new friends on Cunard that I stay in touch with, so its an easy way to meet people.

There are special places on Cunard ships from the theaters to the grand ball rooms, with activities for all both day and night. The formal Tea every afternoon and the English Pubs on board give variety to the day. All Cunard ships have excellent libraries if you just wish to curl up with a good book.

Now, my demographics. I am over 70 and an American, but fairly widely traveled. And finally, There is no other ship afloat that is like the Queen Mary 2 a true ocean liner, not a cruise boat. I hope you get a chance to travel on her. I hope you will enjoy your voyage. Mike

Having done fifteen crossing and cruises on Cunard (as a Queens Grill passenger), and one on Princess (as a suite passenger) , I can answer some of your questions. First the one I am not sure about. Do you get any transferred credit as an elite traveler since Cunard, Princess and P&O are all owned by Carnival. There has been some talk of inter-brand loyalty, but I have not seen a notice of it. Perhaps others who answer your question will know, or a call to Cunard itself might have that answer. I think you will find Cunard a more polite line that say princess from both the staff and customer perspectives. The food seems to be a bit better on Cunard, and if you choose the Grills you will find a substantially better food selection. If you travel in QG you will not have a mini bar, but an actual bar with real bottles of real spirits and wines, as well as you own butler. I have found the passengers on Cunard to be gracious and friendly and have traveled on voyages of 6 to 18 days from a variety of departure ports. The crowd is a bit older, and perhaps a bit more prosperous than princess. The fact that you will enjoy formal nights with a chance to really dress up makes the voyage a bit more special. I can also say that I have made many new friends on Cunard that I stay in touch with, so its an easy way to meet people. There are special places on Cunard ships from the theaters to the grand ball rooms, with activities for all both day and night. The formal Tea every afternoon and the English Pubs on board give variety to the day. All Cunard ships have excellent libraries if you just wish to curl up with a good book. Now, my demographics. I am over 70 and an American, but fairly widely traveled. And finally, There is no other ship afloat that is like the Queen Mary 2 a true ocean liner, not a cruise boat. I hope you get a chance to travel on her. I hope you will enjoy your voyage. Mike
Excellent answer, Bigmike911 :)

(I believe that passenger loyalty grades are not transferable between other Carnival brands and Cunard, but am very willing to be corrected. Having reached the highest level with Cunard (Diamond) I would be reluctant to "start again at the bottom" if I "jumped ship" and tried P&O or Princess. Not that is ever likely to happen as I am supremely happy with Cunard and the world's only liner; Queen Mary 2 (and Cunard's cruising sisters QE & QV), thank you :) )

Again, great post, thank you Bigmike911 :)

Edited by pepperrn

... Princess was at one time owned by Cunard ...
Hi Kamloops50,

I don't believe that Cunard ever owned Princess, of course I could be mistaken (not for the first time :o ).

I think that P&O owned Princess, pre Carnival takeover of all three lines, P&O, Cunard and Princess.

Best wishes.

Having done fifteen crossing and cruises on Cunard (as a Queens Grill passenger), and one on Princess (as a suite passenger) , I can answer some of your questions. First the one I am not sure about. Do you get any transferred credit as an elite traveler since Cunard, Princess and P&O are all owned by Carnival. There has been some talk of inter-brand loyalty, but I have not seen a notice of it. Perhaps others who answer your question will know, or a call to Cunard itself might have that answer.

I think you will find Cunard a more polite line that say princess from both the staff and customer perspectives. The food seems to be a bit better on Cunard, and if you choose the Grills you will find a substantially better food selection. If you travel in QG you will not have a mini bar, but an actual bar with real bottles of real spirits and wines, as well as you own butler.

I have found the passengers on Cunard to be gracious and friendly and have traveled on voyages of 6 to 18 days from a variety of departure ports. The crowd is a bit older, and perhaps a bit more prosperous than princess. The fact that you will enjoy formal nights with a chance to really dress up makes the voyage a bit more special. I can also say that I have made many new friends on Cunard that I stay in touch with, so its an easy way to meet people.

There are special places on Cunard ships from the theaters to the grand ball rooms, with activities for all both day and night. The formal Tea every afternoon and the English Pubs on board give variety to the day. All Cunard ships have excellent libraries if you just wish to curl up with a good book.

Now, my demographics. I am over 70 and an American, but fairly widely traveled. And finally, There is no other ship afloat that is like the Queen Mary 2 a true ocean liner, not a cruise boat. I hope you get a chance to travel on her. I hope you will enjoy your voyage. Mike

Thank-you for this feedback. QM2 is on our transatlantic bucket list.:)

We are elite on Princess, Caribbean on P&O over 35 cruises would we get any benefits on Cunard?

On Princess we get free laundry, dry cleaning, mini bar set up 500 mins Internet as well as the cocktail parties, wine tasting and lunches.

We are looking at a Golden Triangle and 20 night cruise on QM2 next April but could I cope with a lot of snobby Brits, so used to travelling with Americans who have no such issues, even find it on P&O with them going on about standards dropping but looking forward to trying Britannia next week and we get so much OBC with them makes it a good deal

Would like some positive responses, 20 nights is a long time if you are not happy

Many thanks

Sue

Please stay away from Cunard, If you believe that is has a load of snobby Brits.

You definitely would not like P&O, they are worse than Cunard for so called snobery,

Cunard is excellent, no snobbery, Yes dress up for Dinner, then after Dinner. relax and chill !! Yes the Drinks are more expensive, But if your after a "Deal " for get it you have to pay for class! But it sounds like you are just after a "Deal"

Edited by Pennbank

Please stay away from Cunard, If you believe that is has a load of snobby Brits.

You definitely would not like P&O, they are worse than Cunard for so called snobery,

Cunard is excellent, no snobbery, Yes dress up for Dinner, then after Dinner. relax and chill !! Yes the Drinks are more expensive, But if your after a "Deal " for get it you have to pay for class! But it sounds like you are just after a "Deal"

I thinks drinks are expensive on all ships. You do not have to dress every night for dinner, if you eat in the buffet. It is going to be redone.

All Brits are snobby is about as accurate as all Yanks are arrogant or all Aussies are slobs, or pretty much any other generalization.

I've met people from all three who meet all three descriptions, but fortunately th are ver much the minority.

Edited by GUT2407

SueFrankUK, you asked if you should try Cunard.

In response, I can't imagine why you would want to try Cunard, despite your ability to cope with "snobby" people.

I know you asked for "positive responses", so pardon me for not giving you what you asked for (and for ending a sentence with a preposition):)

Salacia

SueFrankUK, you asked if you should try Cunard.

In response, I can't imagine why you would want to try Cunard, despite your ability to cope with "snobby" people.

I know you asked for "positive responses", so pardon me for not giving you what you asked for (and for ending a sentence with a preposition):)

Salacia

But you didn't preposition, isn't a preposition, and I bet the OP wouldn't want to sail with anyone who worried about ending sentences with prepositions either.

Sounds like OP is an anti-snob snob.

I think if you feel you might not be happy with Cunard, you won't be! Personally I love Cunard. Rarely do I meet anyone that considers themselves "better" than anyone else, though it does occasionally happen - as it does in ALL walks of life. But it is rare on board.

My husband and I have travelled with Princess, P&O, and several others before settling for Cunard a few years ago and are glad we tried the various other cruise lines before finding our niche. And we have found it. We like the formality, the food, the talks, the quality, actually there isn't a great deal we don't like!

So should you try Cunard? If you're going to be positive about trying a new cruising experience then yes. But not if you feel you won't like it!

Edited by cruiseluvva

Many thanks

Sue

You live very near me, I am in Ballinger. If you want to email me, we could arrange to meet for a coffee and will give you my thoughts on Cunard. Having cruised on Regent, Princess, Celebrity, Pullmantur and Seabourn. I have done two half world cruises on Queen Elizabeth and one Baltic one on Victoria. Am now booked on QM2 this summer. My email Dreamflightpat @ btinternet dot com. Will give you honest views from a fellow Brit.

Interesting question and equally interesting comments!

I can only comment from the point of someone who has only sailed in an inside cabin (although did once get an upgrade to a balcony) and I have to say I have loved every minute I was onboard. Never met any snobs, Brits or Yanks, only lovely people who have been a pleasure to talk to. Ok, so the people in the Grills pay more than I do, but apart from at meal times everyone is the same and unless you ask/they tell, there is no distinction between 'us and them'.

Actually OP, re-reading your initial post I think that if your attitude is that Cunard is full of snobby people then you will hate it and I am mildly offended that you could consider me (who you've never met) as snobby.

Ihave sailed on Cunard hundreds of nights and I am not a snob. I have never met a snob on on any Cunard Ship.

I am am an Elite member of Princess also but not sailed on their ships since 2009 as we much prefer Cunard. As for P&O, I sailed on her ships a lot 30 odd years ago. After a world cruise on P& O in 2013 it was so bad it put me off the company for life.

Never ever met as many rude,rough & ready types of people in my life. Now that may sound snobby but,boy oh boy! some people were pretty rough and their swearing left me feeling ashamed for them. The shame also as they were all British! I also do not like to sail on a ship full of British. We like to meet other Nationalitues from around the world. Another reason we choose Cunard.

Take up dreamflightpats offer to meet for coffee, she us a lovely honest down to earth lady who will give you a good insight to what to expect on Cunard. I can vouch for this lady as we have sailed on the same ships at the same time.

If you are still not sure I suggest stick with what you feel is right for you. Happy cruising.

Edited by maggiemou

Ihave sailed on Cunard hundreds of night and I am not a snob. I have never met a snob on on any Cunard Ship.

I am am an Elie member of Princess also but not sailed on their ships since 2009 as we much prefer Cunard. As for P&O, I sailed on her ships a lot 30 odd years ago. After a world cruise on P& O in 2013 it was so bad it put me off the company for life.

Never ever met as many rude rough & ready types of people in my life. Shame to they there were all British! I also do not like to sail on a ship full of British. We like to meet other Nationalitues from around the world. Another reason we choose Cunard.

Take up dreamflightpats offer to meet for coffee, she us a lovely honest down to earth lady who will give you a good insight to what to expect on Cunard. I can vouch for this lady as we have sailed on the same ships at the same time.

If you are still not sure I suggest stick with what you feel is right for you. Happy cruising.

Well said. We've only sailed once with P&O and like you, it put me off sailing with them again. What was the problem - the British! I've met some rough and ready people in my life, but some of those onboard the ship made me ashamed to be British!! It also made me realise that we like to sail with a mix of nationalities.

would we get any benefits on Cunard?

Sue

The benefits are:

The accommodation

The Service

The Food (including the superb buffet)

The drinks

(a Long Island Iced Tea is actually a Long Island Iced Tea, not an 'interpretation')

The Dancing (balls)

The entertainment

The quality talks

The daytime activities

The total lack of pomposity, snobbery, arrogance and bad manners

Last but in no way least are "The Cunarders"

To précis the Cunard benefits in one word, it would be "Class"

Book and you will discover there is no going back.

Bigmike911, thanks for your comments.

We will be traveling on the QM2 for the first time in 2017. We initially selected QM2 because we can move my cat to the UK this way, but after exploring more about the ship and all she offers, we are greatly looking forward to this new adventure.

Many thanks

Sue

The most positive response i can give you....you will be sailing on Queen Mary 2 ....Queen Victoria....or Queen Elizabeth....ships like no other....that's all you need to know...

Edited by sandjango

Since you are not leaving until next April, why don't you try a shorter cruise on Cunard first? Then you will have a better idea about whether you would like the line.

I have only cruised on one transatlantic on QM2, but I loved it. People were very friendly and were from several nationalities. I am looking forward to our second voyage on QE next year.

Doug

The benefits are:

The accommodation

The Service

The Food (including the superb buffet)

The drinks

(a Long Island Iced Tea is actually a Long Island Iced Tea, not an 'interpretation')

The Dancing (balls)

The entertainment

The quality talks

The daytime activities

The total lack of pomposity, snobbery, arrogance and bad manners

Last but in no way least are "The Cunarders"

To précis the Cunard benefits in one word, it would be "Class"

Book and you will discover there is no going back.

Ditto! Excellent post.

Many thanks

Sue

Having sailed Princess and Cunard, I would say that Cunard is a step up from Princess in almost every way. Don't hesitate to book a Cunard voyage or cruise. Just be prepared to dress up at dinner (something Princess doesn't seem fussed about these days).

If you are looking to avoid snobby, whinging Brits, QM2 is definitely the right choice. It tends to attract a more Transatlantic clientele compared to the QE (and QV from what I hear). I have found the Brits on QM2 to be more worldly and therefore interesting than the ones who gravitate to locales closer to mother England (think Canaries, Western Med cruises).

You will start as a red-carder with Cunard, attaining Gold after 2 cruises or 20 days. Unfortunately no perks for the first timer, but if you book your 20 nights in segments you will climb the rungs a lot quicker. The one thing Princess does better in my view is their status programme. As a solo, I have been able to climb to Platinum a lot quicker than Platinum with Cunard, despite sailing more with Cunard.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend travelling in the Grills on QM2. These areas will be renovated during the upcoming refit and, judging by the artists' impressions, will be amazing. If not, Britannia is still a cut above the quality on many other lines, but you might like to inquire with a travel agent to secure a renovated stateroom (these will be refitted over a longer period).

I cruised Cunard the first time when I was 35, don't consider myself that well off, and am from California. I chose Cunard due to the availability of a Southeast Asian cruise (Princess was sold out because I starting browsing too late). I ended up thoroughly enjoying my Cunard experience. Disclaimers: I didn't go to any of the evening shows and only attended one seminar. However I did:

-Check out a library book from their gorgeous library

-Have afternoon tea

-Watch a distinctly British film

-And enjoy the string quintet

If enjoying literature, classical music, afternoon tea, and British cinema makes me a snob, then I'm a snob. :rolleyes: Only been on two other cruise lines and the food on Cunard is about equal to Disney(my favorite cruise). Plus I didn't even pack an evening gown. One night I wore a dressy blouse paired with a nice black skirt to dinner. Did not notice any judgmental looks for my dinner wardrobe.

Edited by midlevel_curator