Our Fascination Anniversary / Spring Break Getaway Cruise (with pics) - 3/26/16

Jamman54

So glad to see this review. I've been looking for it since you got back. Gotta love me a Jamman review!

Congrats to Patti on retirement, especially from such an important (and underapprecieated) profession. I am major league jealous of your upcoming cruises. I looked into the Sunshine New England cruises but getting to NYC was seeming to be both expensive and complicated (driving would be okay but parking is a lot to absorb, and the train might be tough for us to handle since my knees don't like working at all these days). Maybe next year! I am also still considering the Pride repo (probably the same leg as you're sailing) but have to talk my DBF into it. He won't fly :rolleyes: but then doesn't want to take the time off from work for the drive to Florida. I might have to find someone else to go with but none of my friends have ever cruised, and I think a 14 day might be a bit overwhelming for them!

Really looking forward to the rest of your review!

Lisa

Wahoo, another Jamman review! I am super excited to read this. After our first Carnival cruise aboard the Fascination last September, it will be great to see the ship again after I've sailed her. And, of course, your reviews are just the best.

Good to see Ryan all grown up, but it looks like Chloe beat him up!

Happy Anniversary....and congrats on Patti's upcoming retirement....it's wonderful:)

We desperately need a cruise but have had other things going on...so am just looking and dreaming....either Elation or Ecstasy....Charleston is always more expensive????

Since we can be a bit flexible...no 5 day cruise without HMC:D Thanks for doing the review...always love them:):):)

Hey there! Yes there were a lot of kids, but being spring break, we expected it. For the most part they were pretty well behaved. Feel free to comment on your experiences anytime during the review.

Yes.. Tons of kids. And the hot tubs... oh good Lord. It was sometimes so packed you couldn't fit another body in there. And at one point... there was even a baby in a swim diaper in the hot tub with it's siblings, and every other kid on the ship. Fun times. lol.

So happy to see you have started your review!

Love your kitty Chloe. I have a Khloe too - a Boston Terrier!

Kim

Thanks for reading! We love our little furball! :)

So glad to see this review. I've been looking for it since you got back. Gotta love me a Jamman review!

Congrats to Patti on retirement' date=' especially from such an important (and underapprecieated) profession. I am major league jealous of your upcoming cruises. I looked into the Sunshine New England cruises but getting to NYC was seeming to be both expensive and complicated (driving would be okay but parking is a lot to absorb, and the train might be tough for us to handle since my knees don't like working at all these days). Maybe next year! I am also still considering the Pride repo (probably the same leg as you're sailing) but have to talk my DBF into it. He won't fly :rolleyes: but then doesn't want to take the time off from work for the drive to Florida. I might have to find someone else to go with but none of my friends have ever cruised, and I think a 14 day might be a bit overwhelming for them!

Really looking forward to the rest of your review!

Lisa[/quote']

Glad to have you along once again! The NE/Canada itineraries are fairly inexpensive, but since we live nearby we don't have all the other hassles you have. But there's nothing like sailing out of NYC!

Hope you can make the Pride repo. That is going to be one awesome cruise! (and review!!).

Wahoo, another Jamman review! I am super excited to read this. After our first Carnival cruise aboard the Fascination last September, it will be great to see the ship again after I've sailed her. And, of course, your reviews are just the best.

Good to see Ryan all grown up, but it looks like Chloe beat him up!

Thanks for your kind words! Chloe is the most gentle cat in the world so it couldn't be her.

Looking forward to your review! Happy Anniversary and Congratulations on your retirement!!!

Thanks for following along, and for the well wishes! :)

Happy Anniversary....and congrats on Patti's upcoming retirement....it's wonderful:)

We desperately need a cruise but have had other things going on...so am just looking and dreaming....either Elation or Ecstasy....Charleston is always more expensive????

Since we can be a bit flexible...no 5 day cruise without HMC: Thanks for doing the review...always love them:):):)

Thanks for the well wishes, and glad that you are following along. Hopefully you'll be able to book another cruise in the very near future.

in my User Options, I have each page set to be 40 posts... so I'm expecting around 680 posts from you today!!! :)

Sorry, I meant 17 posts! :D

We were on this sailing with you. Saw you at the Diamond and Platinum party. Enjoyed the cruise, but could have done with a few less kids. One of the staff said there were more kids than adults on this sailing.

Looking forward to the rest of your review.

We were on board as well. They announced during the Thriller dance class that there were around 1000 kids on board, 1600 adults.

I found the majority of them to be well behaved. I'm a big kid anyway so I probably misbehaved more than they did.

Edited by cec311

It’s Embarkation day AND our Anniversary!!! I love you Patti, and thanks for a wonderful 1st 22 years!

CF045.jpg

We were up early in anticipation of today’s cruise. Even after so many cruises, we both feel like kids at Christmas. The weather wasn’t going to be that great today, with mostly cloudy skies, temperatures in the low 70’s, and a chance of an afternoon shower.

We went downstairs and enjoyed the free breakfast provided by the hotel. It was very crowded, so we just brought the food back up to our room to eat. It was very good, and got us ready for the day.

We packed up the van, and around 9:15am, we began our drive south on I-95 to I-295…..

CF047.JPG

We were on I-295 for only 6 miles until we reached our exit…..

CF050.JPG

This way to the cruise terminal……

CF053.JPG

At 9:45am exactly 30 minutes after leaving the hotel, we pulled into Jaxport…..

CF054.JPG

Our first look at the Fascination, sitting there waiting for us…..

CF056.JPG

To be continued…..

We paid for our parking for the cruise, which was $75, payable with cash or credit card. Once we parked, we were met almost immediately by a porter, who loaded our bags directly from our car onto his cart, and away we went. We entered the terminal a little before 10am, entered the VIP line and breezed through the scanners. They didn’t even take a second look at the two bottles of wine we had brought. They were using the VIP lounge for an employee meeting, so they took us over to the regular lines to check us in. After a quick painless check in, they walked us back over to the VIP seating area, and got our sail and sign cards for us. We were the 2nd Diamond / Platinum couple to be seated.

They began boarding at 11:15am, and we were among the first to board. Here’s our embarkation photo…..

CF058.jpg

The one thing I don’t like about boarding the ship in Jacksonville, is that you board onto Deck 3 forward, which if you are a first time cruiser, does not give you a great first impression, because you are boarding by the medical center and crew area. I love it when you board a ship and you are immediately standing in the Atrium. That’s much better for a first time impression. Anyway, talking to Captain Longhin later in the cruise, he told me that once the ship moves to San Juan, boarding will be onto Deck 7 mid ship, where the Atrium is.

Of course, boarding onto Deck 3 forward, there is an immediate bottleneck for the elevators. We avoided that by climbing up one flight of stairs to Deck 4, Rivera Deck, walking back to the mid ship elevator bank, then going up to Deck 7, Empress Deck.

This where the lowest deck of the Grand Spectrum Atrium is, and where you will find the Atrium Bar, Guest Services, and Shore Excursion Desk. Here is our first view of the Grand Spectrum Atrium……

CF059.JPG

Our first stop of course, is the Atrium Bar, where Patti orders a Chocolate Mocha Getaway, and I order a Corona…..

CF060.JPG

Here are Patti and I enjoying our first drinks of the cruise…..

CF062.JPG

CF064.JPG

Of course Patti just can’t wait to start snapping pictures, and as she likes to take some before the ship gets crowded, off she goes. I can only wave, and order another beer…..

CF068.JPG

To be continued…….

Patti starts at the Shore Excursion Desk, and I’ve added the hours of operation…..

CF065.JPG

CF066.jpg

The internet Café is right near Guest Services in the Atrium. Notice that there are no chairs??!!

CF069.JPG

She continued forward to the lower level of the Palace Theater…..

CF070.JPG

CF072.JPG

CF073.JPG

To be continued…..

Patti now heads up to Deck 8, Atlantic Deck. Here are a couple of the Fun Shops, which won’t open until 6pm tonight…..

CF074.JPG

CF075.JPG

Patti visited the Ladies Room, and was so excited that the fixtures had been updated since the last time we were on her. I can attest that the Men’s Room fixtures were also updated. Lol…..

CF079.JPG

Here is the Tara Library, in the Atrium on Deck 8…..

CF081.JPG

CF082.JPG

CF083.JPG

To be continued…..

Edited by Jamman54

Here is the Sensation Dining room which is mid ship on Deck 8. This the dining room used for YTD (Your Time Dining)…..

CF085.JPG

Patti catches me thinking about ordering another beer…..

CF087.JPG

This is Club 88, which is the Piano Bar, located in the Atrium on Deck 8…..

CF088.JPG

CF089.JPG

CF090.JPG

Right next door is the entrance to Circle “C”, which is for the 12 to 14 year olds…..

CF091.JPG

To be continued…..

Here are some views inside Circle “C”…..

CF092.JPG

CF093.JPG

CF094.JPG

Patti caught these neat mirror etchings on the wall…..

CF095.JPG

Patti is coming back down to join me at the Atrium Bar. The DJ is spinning some tunes in the Atrium…..

CF096.JPG

Guest Services…..

CF097.JPG

To be continued…..