!! Oasis !! 9 Days Medley Cruise ^_^ The Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide

For Menus, Drink Lists, Dailies, Drink Packages and more visit my blog Cruise With Gambee

Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Google+

As always I have a lot of material to share with everyone.

My reviews are loaded with fun times, great pictures and as always an unbiased point of view.

I have been told that I have a great eye for detail, and it will be all here for you to enjoy.

Thank you kindly for being a part of this ^_^

I invite you to come and sail with us on Aboard The Jaw-Dropping Oasis of the Seas!!!

Introduction

Well, hello everyone and welcome to another Gambee review. I have been waiting for this for quite a while. Last year was a lackluster year for me as far as cruising goes. I only had the one cruise aboard the Carnival Victory. That is why I promised myself that this year I would make up for it the best I could.

The planning for this cruise started back in October. I was looking for cruises that would match my new calendar. Originally I had an Alaska cruise planned, but those plans were canceled when I found out that I got into my grad school of choice. Unfortunately, the starting day of my program was to close to the cruise and it would leave me no room to write the review prior starting school.

It was then that I started looking for a cruise during spring break. Spring Break is usually a good week for mom and I, because our schedules match and we are able to take off from our obligations. Once I knew the exact days, I started looking for a cruise that would fix our withdrawals.

Of course, I was considering Norwegian Escape as this was a brand new ship that I would love to cruise on. The prices during that week were not bad, but I wanted a great deal. And since Escape is a brand new ship, the prices were still unpredictable. Norwegian Escape was also in my back yard all year around, and I could try it any time that I found some free time. As I kept on looking I found a unique cruise and one that caught my attention immediately.

The cruise was a 9 day Eastern Caribbean cruise aboard the Oasis of the seas. This cruise was particularly intriguing to me, mainly because I have always said that if I was to ever do TA crossing it would be aboard one of the Oasis sisters. Not only that but, more importantly, the Allure of the Seas stands as my favorite cruise of all time! I am aware that I rated the Disney Dream higher, but the overall experience was superior on the Allure. There is just so much that this class of ships offer that it is very hard to ignore. And now that I think about it, there was so much that I never got to do onboard the Allure of the Seas. You truly need more than one sailing to experience it all.

The other contenders were Regal Princess, NCL Escape, and HAL Eurodam. But who was I kidding, there was really no competition. It was clear that the Oasis was way superior as far as I was concerned.

I also got incredibly lucky while booking this cruise. For some odd reason, I booked exactly in the two weeks that the cruise was at its lowest ever! As a matter of fact, the cruise went up about $1,500 in a few weeks after I booked. I saved, even more money by booking with a travel site that I had never used before, and I ended up getting a killer deal. This was all welcome news to me, as I was the one fully financing this cruise. It was mom’s Christmas gift, so any savings that I could get were greatly appreciated :).

Just a quick note, this cruise was a mom and son cruise. The reason why I only went on one cruise last year was because I was tied to others budget issues and my time constraints. That is why this year I decided to take my priorities over others and make sure that I got a sailing that I would truly love. Well, or at the very least hoped I loved. My mom was in accordance, as she missed sailing in the shiniest and largest ships at sea.

It is actually hard to believe that 9 cruises later and this is just my second Royal Caribbean cruise. I am finding nearly impossible to build loyalty status on any cruise line since all I do is jump from cruise line to cruise line. I wonder when I will sail enough to really garner enough points on a particular line for them to really be useful.

In a way, this cruise felt like a reunion from our Allure cruise.

Cruise Details

OMG, the itinerary was to die for, and it was one of the main reasons that I was obsessed with booking this cruise. While we had visited some of the ports already, it was the amount of ports that really did it for me. Here are the ports; Labadee, San Juan, St Thomas (new for us), St Marteen, and St. Kitts (new for us).

cari_3184500_zpsqhkjro5i.jpg

Stateroom Selection

With 9 days aboard the ship, it was crucial for us to get a nice balcony to ensure that we had some nice quiet outdoor space. After we gave it much thought we decided on an ocean view balcony. I was really considering getting one of the boardwalk balconies. But in the end, we decided to get a pure ocean view was the way to go.

I will not bore you with the balcony selection. But let it be said that I think my travel agent wanted to kill me. I think I switched cabins about 5 times.

This is the criteria that I had:

• Located near elevators. (With such a large ship, I wanted to minimize walking)
  • Clear view straight down to the water.
  • Aft of the ship
  • lower balcony levels, which in a way works perfectly since they are the cheaper ones :D

I know it is horrible, but in my defense, I had a valid reason for all the moves. In the end, I kept a rather odd cabin for us. Near to the staircase, and I have to admit I was kind of worried. But given that the elevators were far from the room, I thought it would be a good deal. It was a small risk for a centrally located room.

The added bonus was being on the same deck as the Boardwalk, two decks below central park and one deck above the promenade.

Untitled%202_zpsmrdhwkxf.jpg

The worst part of all is that after all that balcony planning... Only for it to be for nothing due to some issues with our neighbors. More on that later.

Oasis of the Seas

Like I said, this cruise felt like I was reuniting with an old friend. Even though I had never set foot on her before, the similarities between the two sisters are vast. Mom was particularly looking forward to go on this cruise, she has always insisted that there is no ship that can even come close the Allure of the Seas. As you know these ladies stand in a league of their own.

I was very excited that after more than 3 years I was once again sailing in one of RCCL’s best.

Welcome aboard the Oasis of the Seas!

untitled-1_zpsl77rlqzo.jpg

love your reviews

Thank you so much for your detailed & entertaining review.

I realize your smoking neighbor situation is long over -but I wanted to share my sister's experience on the Oasis.

Their balcony neighbors also smoked & it seemed as if they actually waited for my sister & BIL to go out on their balcony before lighting up.

The schedules somewhat matched, so they were subject to smoke pretty much each time they sat on their balcony.

My sister politely told the neighbors that smoking was no longer allowed & not so politely was told off. She received the standard line of 'we paid for this balcony & will use it as we like'.

After a few calls to complain she had enough & escalated her complaint rather quickly.

Each time, just as you described, security couldn't catch them smoking & nothing was done.

My sister would not give up & insisted that the security personnel come to her cabin to witness the smoking.

Before going out to her balcony in the morning, the security team (there were 2 men) came to my sisters cabin. She & her husband went out onto their balcony just like every morning & were talking about the upcoming day -when there it was...cigarette smoke accompanied by laughing.

The laughing didn't last long when one of the security guys stood on the chair, looked over the partition & told them to go open the door for his partner. Busted!

She believes they were moved to another room & probably charged a cleaning fee, because for the remainder of that day, staff were in & out cleaning & airing out the room. The room remained empty for the rest of her cruise.

I share this as a possible solution for others who may find themselves in this situation.

I also wanted to comment on sharing your vacation with your Mom.

I've been choked up more than a few times reading along & seeing how attentive & loving your Mom & you are & how much fun she had.

My sisters & I were planning a cruise vacation to take our Mom on, but she sadly passed away before we could go.

Each time you wrote to enjoy your life & your time together, & how family is everything, it made me cry. How true.

Thank you for the reminder.

Now I'm going to read the reviews I missed. Thank you again for taking the time to share your cruise with all of us.

Thank you so much for your detailed & entertaining review.

I realize your smoking neighbor situation is long over -but I wanted to share my sister's experience on the Oasis.

Their balcony neighbors also smoked & it seemed as if they actually waited for my sister & BIL to go out on their balcony before lighting up.

The schedules somewhat matched, so they were subject to smoke pretty much each time they sat on their balcony.

My sister politely told the neighbors that smoking was no longer allowed & not so politely was told off. She received the standard line of 'we paid for this balcony & will use it as we like'.

After a few calls to complain she had enough & escalated her complaint rather quickly.

Each time, just as you described, security couldn't catch them smoking & nothing was done.

My sister would not give up & insisted that the security personnel come to her cabin to witness the smoking.

Before going out to her balcony in the morning, the security team (there were 2 men) came to my sisters cabin. She & her husband went out onto their balcony just like every morning & were talking about the upcoming day -when there it was...cigarette smoke accompanied by laughing.

The laughing didn't last long when one of the security guys stood on the chair, looked over the partition & told them to go open the door for his partner. Busted!

She believes they were moved to another room & probably charged a cleaning fee, because for the remainder of that day, staff were in & out cleaning & airing out the room. The room remained empty for the rest of her cruise.

I share this as a possible solution for others who may find themselves in this situation.

I also wanted to comment on sharing your vacation with your Mom.

I've been choked up more than a few times reading along & seeing how attentive & loving your Mom & you are & how much fun she had.

My sisters & I were planning a cruise vacation to take our Mom on, but she sadly passed away before we could go.

Each time you wrote to enjoy your life & your time together, & how family is everything, it made me cry. How true.

Thank you for the reminder.

Now I'm going to read the reviews I missed. Thank you again for taking the time to share your cruise with all of us.

Thank you for sharing the story about the balcony, what a crappy situation to be in. Honestly, it was the neighbors that we have ever had, just horrible. But I was happy with our resolution :)

Sorry to hear about your mom passing away before the planned vacation. Each cruise I have with mine, is one that I cherish and try to remember for ever.

I seem to have both problems, I wake up at 7am, and by 8pm I am worn out :D

I have to find some time to nap in between.

For no reason at all to it, but since I was very young, I awoke at 4 or 4:30am. Still continuing to do this as a retiree!

Usually asleep on couch at 9pm at home. On cruises and some weekends I push myself to stay up later to enjoy the festivities...Not easy!

Can nap sometimes during the day with TV in background....

Tried every type of thing from medications to light therapy to change my sleep patterns....Not happening.

Thanks again for all the wonderful reviews.

A previous preview of this thread I'd just jump in and out of pages, while skimming through the photos that interested me. What misjustice I did to my self. This time over 4 days, and countless hours, it was well worth going through all 73 pages. I even missed all of my favorite shows on television (they're recorded), because I couldn't turn off the iPad or computer for trying to get through the next day of this cruise/review. Thank you for your pictures, and review, and thanks to those who asked or answered questions, or provided other information. This is by far the best review I have ever read since joining CC. Very detailed with information that is very helpful!!! I the going into a vacation or cruise blind, and you provided details and information that I hadn't realized about the Oasis. The Solarium Bistro and Boleros's were two areas that I don't think I paid attention to before reading this, but since the better half likes the jacuzzi's, I can see I'll be spending some time in the Solarium, and checking out the dishes in the Bistro both day and night. You didn't mention, or I didn't see a price(?) or prices(?) for the Solarium Bistro at night. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with everything that goes on on the ship, and trying not to miss everything. But, I have learned, a cruise is a vacation, and you should leave time to relax, instead of trying to do or see everything. I guess this is why I chose My Time Dining. Hopefully, since my party doesn't want to be stuck to a particular dining time, we won't have a long wait for 4.

Thanks again for the pictures and review!!! I really loved it.

Now I can't wait to get onboard the Oasis in 17 days!!! Wooohooo!!!

Edited by sjcruiser

A previous preview of this thread I'd just jump in and out of pages, while skimming through the photos that interested me. What misjustice I did to my self. This time over 4 days, and countless hours, it was well worth going through all 73 pages. I even missed all of my favorite shows on television (they're recorded), because I couldn't turn off the iPad or computer for trying to get through the next day of this cruise/review. Thank you for your pictures, and review, and thanks to those who asked or answered questions, or provided other information. This is by far the best review I have ever read since joining CC. Very detailed with information that is very helpful!!! I the going into a vacation or cruise blind, and you provided details and information that I hadn't realized about the Oasis. The Solarium Bistro and Boleros's were two areas that I don't think I paid attention to before reading this, but since the better half likes the jacuzzi's, I can see I'll be spending some time in the Solarium, and checking out the dishes in the Bistro both day and night. You didn't mention, or I didn't see a price(?) or prices(?) for the Solarium Bistro at night. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with everything that goes on on the ship, and trying not to miss everything. But, I have learned, a cruise is a vacation, and you should leave time to relax, instead of trying to do or see everything. I guess this is why I chose My Time Dining. Hopefully, since my party doesn't want to be stuck to a particular dining time, we won't have a long wait for 4.

Thanks again for the pictures and review!!! I really loved it.

Now I can't wait to get onboard the Oasis in 17 days!!! Wooohooo!!!

Thank you for reading the entire thing, I appreciate it. I think the price for bistro at night is $20, but they do offer some combos if you buy 3 restaurants. That said, I think that for $20 it is a not miss. Have a great cruise, and like you said, try to relax :)

Finally...all caught up and sad that it's over. Great job as usual and thanks a lot for adding to my stress. Now, because of this review I NEED to figure out a way to get on Royal next year (Anthem out of New Jersey). If I'm staying with a local port it's either the Breakaway (again), Carnival Sunshine or Royals Anthem. You really made up my mind that my first choice is Royal but needing 2 rooms and only able to go during peak times my wallet doesn't agree. [emoji16][emoji23]. Looking forward to your Escape review and how she compares to Breakaway.

Hi gambee I've just read the whole of your review, several pages at a time over the last few days. It is simply fantastic.

We are on harmony in October and are mega excited.

Enjoy escape it will be interesting to see what you think. We were on the one nighter out of Southampton before she did her t.a.

It's been a pleasure to read your review. Congrats on your grad school and citizenship your mom must be very proud.

Gambee,

First I want to say that throughout reading your entire review I could feel the love and admiration you have for your mother. The care and concern you took for her, being ever mindful of her happiness and comfort, shows what a marvelous and attentive son you are. I am sure your mother must be wonderfully proud to have such a devoted son, but I also know such goodness and decency comes from excellent mothering. So your mother deserves as much recognition for a job well done as you do for being a shining example of human-kindness.

Next, thank you for such a fabulous review! We will be sailing Oasis in July. This will be our first experience with RCI, having sailed Carnival, NCL and Disney previously. I can't wait and your review has made me that much more excited!

At this moment you are on the Escape and I wish you another tremendous sailing! I will be anxious to read that review upon your return. In the meantime I shall start working my way through your past reviews. You have an excellent photo-storytelling ability and I love your zest for life.

You said you got a balcony for under 1300, sure you can get get good deals on the O sisters around Nov and early December.

Hmm is there a reason why Nov/early Dec is low season? I'm not from the US so am not aware of the calendar but did book an early Dec 2017 cruise at a good rate so your statement piqued my curiosity.

Hmm is there a reason why Nov/early Dec is low season? I'm not from the US so am not aware of the calendar but did book an early Dec 2017 cruise at a good rate so your statement piqued my curiosity.

Kids are in school. Not a good time for families to cruise.

Awesome review brings back a heap of good memories. My wife and I sailed the Oasis in '11 and you just brought back a lot of great memories. I have only been on 4 cruises (5th coming up in December) and this cruise was the best by far.

• 1 month later...

Gambee, this is the first of your reviews I've read and for sure won't be the last. I say "Thank you" very much for sharing your cruise. We leave one week from today on Oasis and I am so excited. I've referred to your review many times for tips and ideas.

My son cruises with us, this is our 4th. I hope we continue to cruise together for years to come. Your Mom is a lucky lady!

yay! Another gambee review! Can't wait!

So sorry to hear about the hard stuff you and your mom went through. It is so hard to lose someone special in your life and you are never ready for it. Glad that your uncle is doing better! These hard times help us to grow and be a better person.

Congratulations! Getting into grad school and becoming a us citizen. Lots of hard work there. You guys deserved this cruise!

x2!