When you have to fly in on the same day?

LakeWobegon

How many do it? It seems like it is going to stress me out. We have a cruise booked for a Saturday next March and the Escape is set to sail at 4.

We'll likely have to fly in that morning to Miami because the wife is a teacher and school has a strict policy of no vacation days the day before spring break (that Friday). It takes us two hours to get to the Mpls airport. The last direct flight leaves at 5ish so that's out.

Any connecting flights that leave later Friday night and go throughout the night appear to cost an arm and a leg right now. Much cheaper to fly out the first thing Saturday morning (5 am-ish) direct and get there 10 am-ish. But I overheard a guy on the ship last week talking about how his flight was delayed, he missed the sailing, and the first port he could get to was Tortola, basically giving him a few days. Yikes.

Make me think I should look for a Sunday sailing instead but maybe I should just go for it.

Same-day flying into the port city is not for the faint of heart and not for me. I've never done it. It could be itinerary-dependent, eg, I might do it with an evening departure if the next port is a nearby city (ie, a ship leaves Tampa with first stop in Miami) but not for a Transatlantic where the ship goes almost to Europe before stopping.

I know that sometimes it's unavoidable. In that case, you have just about the best set-up possible with a direct flight from a major hub (so if your flight goes wrong, there are likely alternate direct flights) and scheduled in well ahead of departure and, from MSP, not during winter! Also, it seems like there are fewer delays with super-early flights like 5:00 a.m.

Still, being risk-averse, I would look at the difference in total cost for flying in the night before or flying in same day - plane, hotel, etc - and ask if I would pay that cost to insure being to the port when the ship sails. I'd be looking at the proportion of the cost increase relative to the cost of the cruise + "catch up to the boat" fare.

ETA: just noticed that a Sunday sailing is an option. Personally, I'd go for that just for the peace of mind. But others definitely have different outlooks on this issue.

Edited by terracool

Because of work situations like yours I've flown in to Miami the same day several times with no issues. There is an early morning flight I take that is non-stop (not direct, but actually non-stop). There is obviously some risk to that but sometimes that can't be helped. Life happens.

The Sunday departure is always a good alternative.

I’d have to agree, same day flight isn’t for me either. We do fly from Utah, though, so that means flying the red eye.

It was way too much stress and frankly I didn’t relax until the 2nd or 3rd day (but that’s just me).

The good news is that the early morning flight is probably the first of the day for that plane, so it won't be affected by delays occurring elsewhere. However, you know the weather in March in MN can be unpredictable. Make sure you buy insurance just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Our family is in the same boat. I am a teacher and cannot take a personal day the day before a vacation. We have done a Friday night flight out of MSP (we are 2 hours south). You could wait for southwest to open their flights which will be later into the summer or so. They have Friday night flights into west palm beach or ft lauderdale. You could then take the tri rail down to Miami.

I have flown to three of my cruises the day of, with all being late afternoon (4/5pm) departures and never had an issue. I was living in St. Louis at the time, and had direct, early morning flights to Newark (for NYC), Houston (for Galveston), and Ft. Lauderdale (for Port Everglades). Our flight to Houston was delayed, and we made it on just in time as some of the last guests at around 2:00pm. Otherwise, I've never had issues.

The only one I flew the day before was out of San Juan, and that was to have extra time in San Juan.

Now that I live in Miami, we just drive.

I'm am headed out of Seattle in June, and we are flying the day before for that one, simply because of the sheer distance of the flight and the likely connection.

I don't think it's horrible to fly the day of, just make sure you get the earliest possible flight, make sure it's direct, and look at the flight schedule to see the next departing flights for that day so you have a back-up in case things go wrong.

Edited by zackarykeef

Thanks everyone and backhli, that's a great suggestion. We will look for that Southwest option. I was surprised Sun Country didn't have a late flight to Miami. They usually have a very early and late flight to a lot of places. But I have to wait until 330 days out to find out for sure (end of the month) to know for certain. I was looking at the February schedules now.

Ideally I want to use my US Bank FlexPerks to get as many free tickets as possible but you can't have your cake and eat it too. And this year, it would have been about the same price to pay for four tickets on Sun Country as it was to get too free tickets and buy two tickets on Delta. Ouch. Supply and demand though.

The good news is that the early morning flight is probably the first of the day for that plane, so it won't be affected by delays occurring elsewhere. However, you know the weather in March in MN can be unpredictable. Make sure you buy insurance just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would normally agree with this and frequently take the first flight out (6:00 am) with few issues. However, my home airport used to have a daily 5:00 am flight, and that one got cancelled/delayed frequently - especially in winter. The problem with the uber-early flights was that flight crews arriving too late the night before couldn't get the required rest period in. They would try to juggle crews, but the on-time departure for that 5:00 was really bad with cancellations frequent. So they moved it to 6:00 with better results.

I read the OP initially as leaving in May, not March, so I was thinking it wouldn't be winter. I would be very hesitant to rely on a 5:00 out of MSP in March. Sunday sailing!

If no late evening flights open up for Friday evening, I would recommend one of three things: try for a Sunday sail day, buy insurance, or use the cruise line's air reservation program so they are responsible for getting you to your first port.

I, like you, live about two hours from an airport, and are often affected by the weather. You have the advantage that you at least can get direct flights. We have had flights in January and February this year alone that were significantly disrupted by weather. Two years ago there were three couples sitting next to us in the airport who were going to have to meet their cruise in Cozumel because they were flying the same day. We made our cruise after three different itinerary changes, only because we were flying the day before.

Also a heads up about weather in Florida. You may get out of your home airport, but there is no guarantee that Florida will not be having a front passage or sea breeze storms or any of the myriad things that influence the weather on this peninsula state that causes ground holds at airports with resultant delays and cancellations.

Early morning is no guarantee here that there will not be a whopper of a storm coming on shore.

If you can't fly in late Friday night, make sure you have passports so you can met the ship at the next port of call or find a Sunday departure.

The last cruise I was on, my family was sitting at the muster drill. Sitting next to us was a girl in her early 20's. She was sitting there sad so I struck up a conversation.

Turns out she was meeting a girlfriend for this cruise. He flight made it but her girlfriends flight was delayed then cancelled and she was stuck in some connecting city and wouldn't make it.

I felt terrible for the girl who made it and befriended her. She sat with us at shows, found us on sea days, it was awful for her. Some people could go with the flow but an introverted, young girl alone, she was miserable.

I hope it works out for you.

I think some folks might not understand what a direct flight means.

Many people think non-stop and direct flights are interchangeable terms, but there are differences between the two. A nonstop flight does as its name suggests: flies from one airport to another without stopping. A direct flight, on the other hand, makes stops along the way. You usually just sit on the plane while waiting for other passengers to board.

In the case of flying in the same day you should prefer non-stop. With direct flights you get more risk of weather or airport delays.

How many do it? It seems like it is going to stress me out. We have a cruise booked for a Saturday next March and the Escape is set to sail at 4.

We'll likely have to fly in that morning to Miami because the wife is a teacher and school has a strict policy of no vacation days the day before spring break (that Friday). It takes us two hours to get to the Mpls airport. The last direct flight leaves at 5ish so that's out.

Any connecting flights that leave later Friday night and go throughout the night appear to cost an arm and a leg right now. Much cheaper to fly out the first thing Saturday morning (5 am-ish) direct and get there 10 am-ish. But I overheard a guy on the ship last week talking about how his flight was delayed, he missed the sailing, and the first port he could get to was Tortola, basically giving him a few days. Yikes.

Make me think I should look for a Sunday sailing instead but maybe I should just go for it.

*COUGH* I think there's a nasty virus going around. Probably should stay home from school so she doesn't spread it to another teachers and students

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Cough cough cough, I think I hear your wife feeling badly the night before that last day and needing to call in so as to not get the kids sick and ruin their break!

We have done it before but won't do it again. We have to take an early 5-6am flight and outside of the obvious risks, the first day is shot because we're so tired from the long day. A 3am wake up isn't a fun way to start vacation!

It's too early to start pricing airfare nearly a year out so I wouldn't let that bother you (yet). A Sunday departure would definitely help or make sure you spend a little on good trip insurance.

I would go with a Sunday sailing, different ship & different ports, but it's a safer bet / option - with Saturday being a full travel day, even if it meant getting re-routed and changing connections, pack light & do carry-on if possible

When there are flight disruptions, whether it's weather related or man-made, the domino effects often rippled across and radiate throughout the air traffic system ... if the in-bound aircraft and/or crew are grounded or stranded or simply pre-emptively cancelled elsewhere the day/evening before - that 5 AM or 6 AM first flight/morning departure isn't going to happen, period - unless you are at one of the major hubs for the airline, with standby aircrafts & crews ready to go - and, given OP's home state in the winter months, a major blizzard and/or problem with deicing can cripple ground ops for hours before recovery.

There are usually fewer flights on Saturday and they no longer alwats priced them lower, but, still - better to fly in early and pay for an extra night of hotel in MIA, priceline it if necessary - then, to sweat and risk missing flights or dealing with airport closures.

Trip insurance do help, but it is not going to "pay" for the missing enjoyment of being on the ship on day 1 and 2 ...

One of my daughters was getting married on March 26th. I tried to talk her into waiting until at least May because there were a few people who needed to fly from out of town but she said by then the weather wouldn't be bad.

But, like Murphy's Law, another daughter who lives near Denver, got stuck in a blizzard the Wednesday before and the entire airport shut down. After 12 hours in the airport, United told her they couldn't get her on another plane until the following Saturday afternoon (they needed 4 seats). She was determined to get to the wedding so the following day drove 8 hours to Wichita in order to get to Newark by Friday morning, so as to not miss any of the festivities.

This is just to show how iffy the weather can be in March.

Dont do it!!! We were scheduled to fly out on a 7:00 am flight. Only a 2 1/2 hour flight so no problem. NOT! The baggage cart hit the plane. We were on and off the plane until 11 am . They kept saying "taking off any minute now". We called cruise line and were told we had to be on ship by 3:30 at the latest. Sitting in the plane at the gate at 12:30 we finally realized there was no way we were going to make it. They let us off the plane. Try explaining to 3 little kids there will be no trip. We have taken 2 cruises since and fly out the day before. Lesson learned.