Uniworld River Beatrice, 4/10/16 Budapest to Passau

jpalbny

Oh, three weeks is just inhumane! You certainly make the most of it, but too bad that you don't have more vacation time.

We did put down a deposit on the India cruise tour with Uniworld, and I'm shopping flights. One of my favorite pastimes! :D

We never used it. It may not be a bad deal for you; we just haven't had a real need. It does seem a touch expensive IMO, but Vienna isn't cheap...

On our first visit to Vienna we had already purchased tickets to Schönbrunn online so that included the Hofberg, the Sisi Apartments, and the Imperial Treasury. We did a few more a la carte things and the pass would not have been worth it - on top of the combo ticket that we already had.

On the second visit (this cruise) we only needed a few things and it would not have been worth it - we'd already visited the big-ticket attractions and didn't need to go back.

The fast-track entries may be worth a few extra €, but it does not seem to include Schönbrunn. Bummer. Some long lines there though we skipped them by buying a Sisi ticket.

I checked the price just now and they overcharge you (a tiny bit) for the transportation option - it really costs €7.60 for a 24h transport card and they charge €8. Similarly, €13.30 for a 48h transport card and they charge you an additional €14. Not much ,but the transport tickets are easy to buy on your own so why pay extra?

Lastly, they charge an additional €7 fee to ship the card(s) to you. Or, you could go pick it up downtown when you arrive, but then you'd need to get there...by buying a U-Bahn ticket to Karlsplatz - €2.20 per person. They don't seem to offer an option for e-mail delivery and printing at home.

Like all city passes - this may not be a bad deal if you want to visit a lot of places. You have to add up the prices, and see whether the individual ticket prices for the places you want to visit would make the pass worthwhile. If it does, then go for it. :)

So you get to start planning again! Yay!

I'm so busy planning for and being excited about our upcoming cruises, I can hardly get through my day or sleep at night!

Thank you for your very thorough and thoughtful response.

I think the Sisi ticket now gets you, Schonbrunn, Hofberg, and the imperial furniture collection. It does still provide the fast track to Schoenbrunn.

I didn't do the math...but everything I was looking at today required admission that was free with the pass...St Stephens, the National Library, etc...

I'm going to have to sit down and do the math...I'm glad that because of your advice, I'll revisit the totals!

Oh and of course another question...So with our very limited time in Vienna (1 day, 2 nights), I'm very concerned about seeing all that we want to.

I was reading a post today that said if you're going to Schonbrunn that you could skip the Imperial Apartments because Schoenbrunn is so much better.

As a person who has done both what's your advice?

With so much that we want to see...As above the National Library, St Stephens, the Spanish Riding School, Augustin Church, Schonbrunn etc etc I wonder if we should skip the Imperial Apartments?

Thanks again JP,

Chris

So you get to start planning again! Yay!

I'm so busy planning for and being excited about our upcoming cruises, I can hardly get through my day or sleep at night!

Thank you for your very thorough and thoughtful response.

I think the Sisi ticket now gets you, Schonbrunn, Hofberg, and the imperial furniture collection. It does still provide the fast track to Schoenbrunn.

I didn't do the math...but everything I was looking at today required admission that was free with the pass...St Stephens, the National Library, etc...

I'm going to have to sit down and do the math...I'm glad that because of your advice, I'll revisit the totals!

Oh and of course another question...So with our very limited time in Vienna (1 day, 2 nights), I'm very concerned about seeing all that we want to.

I was reading a post today that said if you're going to Schonbrunn that you could skip the Imperial Apartments because Schoenbrunn is so much better.

As a person who has done both what's your advice?

With so much that we want to see...As above the National Library, St Stephens, the Spanish Riding School, Augustin Church, Schonbrunn etc etc I wonder if we should skip the Imperial Apartments?

Thanks again JP,

Chris

Yes, we got some new guidebooks at the library last night. We don't have to plan too much for India, as this will be our first visit and we'll be almost all guided with little independent touring. Though we are fairly independent in Europe we will in all likelihood be less so here. But you never know...

WRT to Vienna, I posted on the other thread but I'll repeat, and add a little more here. I do think that the Imperial Apartments are redundant with Schönbrunn so if your time is limited I'd not bother with the Apartments. The treasury is interesting if you like that sort of thing - we buzzed through and didn't look at much. The Sisi museum I thought was quite interesting, and a great opportunity to learn more about a very interesting person. Not redundant with Schönbrunn at all, IMO. The furniture collection wasn't on the ticket (or may not have even been on exhibit) when we were there in 2013 so no experience with that to share. We didn't bother with it last time.

Your other planned stops: Augustinerkirche takes 15 minutes - nice, and free, but it's another church... St Stephen's - we have never been inside (ABC) but we climbed the tower (climbed, not the one with an elevator, so no exterior views).

The National Library (Great State Hall) is not too long a visit, but we stayed 30-40 minutes because they had an interesting historical exhibit about Franz Josef's life. 2016 is the centenary of his death, so expect lots of stuff in Vienna to commemorate that. It is definitely a magnificent piece of art and architecture, and well worth visiting. You can visit it separately as a singe ticket, or you can get a combination ticket for the Great Hall, the Papyrus museum, the Globe museum, and the Esperanto museum.

Be aware that these other museums are somewhat separated...The Papyrus museum is in the Neue Berg, on the other side of the Hofberg - 5-10 minutes walk. The others are tucked away elsewhere, past Michaelerplatz, a few blocks away. If you're only there for one day I am not sure that these additional places are worth your time - though they are not uninteresting, there is only so much you can cram in!

The Spanish Riding School is neat. We did only a limited tour in 2013 because they were not training/riding that day. So it took less than an hour IIRC. When they are riding, it takes longer. Conveniently located pretty much in the entrance to the Hofberg, near the Great State Hall of the National Library.

If I were you, here is how I would spend my day. I'd buy a Sisi ticket online ahead of time and head from the boat, directly to Schönbrunn, arriving as it opens. Or go early and have a coffee and pastry at the cafe while waiting... Tour the Palace, spend time in the gardens, and head back to town near lunchtime. Take the U4 back to Karlzplatz and take the Opera exit...though Karlsplatz and Karlskirche are very pretty if you want a slight detour.

Walk past the Opera House, the Albertina, the Cafe Sacher Wein (they sell Sacher Torte, I hear), and then you're only a block from Augustinerkirche. Check that off your list, go to the Great State Hall (National Library) right next door and see that, and then you are basically at the Hofberg. Check out the available times ad tickets for the Spanish Riding School - if the tour is soon, take it. Otherwise buy tickets for later, and spend time at the Sisi Museum +/- the Imperial Treasury while waiting (or at the cafe having a snack).

After that go to St. Stephen's if you have time. Catch the U1 at Stephensplatz back to the ship (no transfer required).

Notice I didn't leave time for a full lunch...Oops! If you see an opportunity for a snack, grab it. There are cafes everywhere. But there is so much to see in Vienna that you could run yourself ragged from 9-6 and still not see it all!

Oh, and if you add up the cost of the things you're seeing I bet that you will not need the 1-day Vienna Pass. I'd prefer the Sisi ticket because you have fast-track entry to Schönbrunn - if you do that, then the Vienna Pass definitely is NOT worth it for the other things you're seeing.

Edited by jpalbny

Yes, we got some new guidebooks at the library last night. We don't have to plan too much for India, as this will be our first visit and we'll be almost all guided with little independent touring. Though we are fairly independent in Europe we will in all likelihood be less so here. But you never know...

WRT to Vienna, I posted on the other thread but I'll repeat, and add a little more here. I do think that the Imperial Apartments are redundant with Schönbrunn so if your time is limited I'd not bother with the Apartments. The treasury is interesting if you like that sort of thing - we buzzed through and didn't look at much. The Sisi museum I thought was quite interesting, and a great opportunity to learn more about a very interesting person. Not redundant with Schönbrunn at all, IMO. The furniture collection wasn't on the ticket (or may not have even been on exhibit) when we were there in 2013 so no experience with that to share. We didn't bother with it last time.

Your other planned stops: Augustinerkirche takes 15 minutes - nice, and free, but it's another church... St Stephen's - we have never been inside (ABC) but we climbed the tower (climbed, not the one with an elevator, so no exterior views).

The National Library (Great State Hall) is not too long a visit, but we stayed 30-40 minutes because they had an interesting historical exhibit about Franz Josef's life. 2016 is the centenary of his death, so expect lots of stuff in Vienna to commemorate that. It is definitely a magnificent piece of art and architecture, and well worth visiting. You can visit it separately as a singe ticket, or you can get a combination ticket for the Great Hall, the Papyrus museum, the Globe museum, and the Esperanto museum.

Be aware that these other museums are somewhat separated...The Papyrus museum is in the Neue Berg, on the other side of the Hofberg - 5-10 minutes walk. The others are tucked away elsewhere, past Michaelerplatz, a few blocks away. If you're only there for one day I am not sure that these additional places are worth your time - though they are not uninteresting, there is only so much you can cram in!

The Spanish Riding School is neat. We did only a limited tour in 2013 because they were not training/riding that day. So it took less than an hour IIRC. When they are riding, it takes longer. Conveniently located pretty much in the entrance to the Hofberg, near the Great State Hall of the National Library.

If I were you, here is how I would spend my day. I'd buy a Sisi ticket online ahead of time and head from the boat, directly to Schönbrunn, arriving as it opens. Or go early and have a coffee and pastry at the cafe while waiting... Tour the Palace, spend time in the gardens, and head back to town near lunchtime. Take the U4 back to Karlzplatz and take the Opera exit...though Karlsplatz and Karlskirche are very pretty if you want a slight detour.

Walk past the Opera House, the Albertina, the Cafe Sacher Wein (they sell Sacher Torte, I hear), and then you're only a block from Augustinerkirche. Check that off your list, go to the Great State Hall (National Library) right next door and see that, and then you are basically at the Hofberg. Check out the available times ad tickets for the Spanish Riding School - if the tour is soon, take it. Otherwise buy tickets for later, and spend time at the Sisi Museum +/- the Imperial Treasury while waiting (or at the cafe having a snack).

After that go to St. Stephen's if you have time. Catch the U1 at Stephensplatz back to the ship (no transfer required).

Notice I didn't leave time for a full lunch...Oops! If you see an opportunity for a snack, grab it. There are cafes everywhere. But there is so much to see in Vienna that you could run yourself ragged from 9-6 and still not see it all!

Oh, and if you add up the cost of the things you're seeing I bet that you will not need the 1-day Vienna Pass. I'd prefer the Sisi ticket because you have fast-track entry to Schönbrunn - if you do that, then the Vienna Pass definitely is NOT worth it for the other things you're seeing.

Oh Thank you JP! Much, much useful info for me!

Not to worry about making us miss lunch! We never take time for lunch when traveling!

I'll start, as usual, with a question. So our plan is to skip the concert on night of arrival to Vienna because we are there for soooo short a time and because our cruise offers one in Praque that is in a building I really want to see. So partly because we're not as adept as some and just because we want to, we're going to take the U into Vienna Sat night and do a self walking night tour around the Old Town to get our bearings. We may ride the D Tram around the sights as well and grab some dessert in town. And do the Ferris Wheel or the Danube Tower (leaning toward the Ferris Wheel) to end our night. So because we will be using transportation Sat night (7-8pm ish) through later than 24hrs more on Sunday night (10ish) we'll need a 48hr transport pass right? And wondering with needing 2 days transport...will the Vienna Pass then be more cost efficient..

(sorry it took so long to get to that question!)

We're planning on staying in Vienna for dinner and going to St Stephen's & the North tower on Sunday night after dinner (hence going beyond 24hrs from the time we first use transport).

Big problem! The U4 is going to out completely while we are there...I have figured out how to get to the Schonbrunn (U1-U3-Tram 58), but not how to get back. If you have a sec can you get us started on the itinerary from I'm guessing Tram 58 to U3??

I'm really interested in the Sisi Museum so I'm glad you mentioned that specifically...we'll skip the apts and just do that! And will just stick with the Great Hall & National Library and skip the other museums!

Another question for you...do you print out anything? I did print out a google map of what we want to do our first night in Budapest just to get us going. But oh how I want to print out maps of public transport in Vienna and many other things!! I don't think google maps is doing as well with Vienna as it has been in Budapest from my practicing!

Looks like things are a mess over there right now..feel so bad for the people of Passau! Hope things settle soon!

Thanks so much JP...I won't say goodbye cause you know I'll be back!

Chris

Oooops just saw your post on the other thread...I really thought the U4 would be closed by 8/28...

Edited by stonepebble
need to add something

The "Mythos Sisi" as we call it... She is so well-known (and loved) in Germany therefore , naturally, my river cruise in 2013 featured an optional excursion to Gödöllö palace in Hungary. I did not take part in it though, preferring free time in town to it. Empress Elisabeth liked the somewhat suppressed Hungarian people and spent much time in Hungary away from the courts in Vienna.

The Sisi museum: http://www.hofburg-wien.at/en/things-to-know/sisi-museum.html

The palace: http://www.kiralyikastely.hu/main_page

The cafe Sacher: https://www.sacher.com/en/hotel-wien/culinary-en-2/cafe-sacher-wien-3/

Would love to go back to see more of Vienna.

notamermaid

Oh Thank you JP! Much, much useful info for me!

Not to worry about making us miss lunch! We never take time for lunch when traveling!

I'll start, as usual, with a question. So our plan is to skip the concert on night of arrival to Vienna because we are there for soooo short a time and because our cruise offers one in Praque that is in a building I really want to see. So partly because we're not as adept as some and just because we want to, we're going to take the U into Vienna Sat night and do a self walking night tour around the Old Town to get our bearings. We may ride the D Tram around the sights as well and grab some dessert in town. And do the Ferris Wheel or the Danube Tower (leaning toward the Ferris Wheel) to end our night. So because we will be using transportation Sat night (7-8pm ish) through later than 24hrs more on Sunday night (10ish) we'll need a 48hr transport pass right? And wondering with needing 2 days transport...will the Vienna Pass then be more cost efficient..

(sorry it took so long to get to that question!)

We're planning on staying in Vienna for dinner and going to St Stephen's & the North tower on Sunday night after dinner (hence going beyond 24hrs from the time we first use transport).

The Ferris wheel is easier to reach from the boat than the Danube Tower.

I still do not think the 2-day Vienna Pass will be more efficient for you. You're not using any of the entry fees on your first night other than the Prater (Ferris wheel), and the two day pass costs €25 more than the one-day pass. Unless the Ferris Wheel costs €25, you're paying too much.

WRT Transport, you can get away more cheaply by starting with one 24h transport pass, which you'd buy as soon as you start on night one. Use that until it's expired (around dinner time on night 2). Have your dinner in town, climb St. Stephen's. Then buy a single ride ticket for €2.20 each to get back to the ship. Total cost €7.60 for the 24h pass then €2.20 = €9.80. As opposed to €13.30 for a 48h pass which would mostly go unused.

Big problem! The U4 is going to out completely while we are there...I have figured out how to get to the Schonbrunn (U1-U3-Tram 58), but not how to get back. If you have a sec can you get us started on the itinerary from I'm guessing Tram 58 to U3??

I don't think that the scheduled 2016 closures on the U4 line will affect you, but I am hardly a local expert here... The 2017 closure seems like it would affect how you'd get to Schönbrunn as they will be closing a section of track closer to town.

More info: https://www.wien.gv.at/english/transportation-urbanplanning/public-transport/u4-modernisation.html

I'm really interested in the Sisi Museum so I'm glad you mentioned that specifically...we'll skip the apts and just do that! And will just stick with the Great Hall & National Library and skip the other museums!

Another question for you...do you print out anything? I did print out a google map of what we want to do our first night in Budapest just to get us going. But oh how I want to print out maps of public transport in Vienna and many other things!! I don't think google maps is doing as well with Vienna as it has been in Budapest from my practicing!

I saved a pdf of the Vienna transport system on my phone for reference but it's easy enough to navigate on the fly. Just look at the maps when you enter the station. Chris had a map of Vienna that she copied from a book which was helpful when my phone ran out of batteries and I had to navigate the old fashioned way...

Looks like things are a mess over there right now..feel so bad for the people of Passau! Hope things settle soon!

Thanks so much JP...I won't say goodbye cause you know I'll be back!

Chris

Oooops just saw your post on the other thread...I really thought the U4 would be closed by 8/28...

You will (hopefully) enjoy Vienna but one day is such a whirlwind. There is so much to see that you will really want/need to go back some time.

The "Mythos Sisi" as we call it... She is so well-known (and loved) in Germany therefore , naturally, my river cruise in 2013 featured an optional excursion to Gödöllö palace in Hungary. I did not take part in it though, preferring free time in town to it. Empress Elisabeth liked the somewhat suppressed Hungarian people and spent much time in Hungary away from the courts in Vienna.

The cafe Sacher: https://www.sacher.com/en/hotel-wien/culinary-en-2/cafe-sacher-wien-3/

notamermaid

Yes, Vienna does draw you back. Our first visit was a little overwhelming but this second visit was really nice and I'm looking forward to returning.

We didn't learn much European history in High School (Gymnasium to you). The majority of what we learned was English history, and a little French and German history (mainly when they were at war with the British). I knew very little about the history of Austria and Hungary until we started traveling to these areas a few years ago. I still don't fully understand how two very different countries came to be united under Habsburg rule. Will read more about that next time.

Interestingly, our first exposure to Sisi did NOT come during a visit to Vienna, or Germany. We visited one of her "vacation homes" on the island of Corfu - the Achilleion Palace. We wondered why an Austrian Empress would build this most unusual palace in a Pompeian style, here on a Greek island. Now we understand a little of her wanderlust, after reading about her in the Sisi museum, and understanding her great sorrow at the loss of her son.

notamermaid

JP...you'll be glad to know I think I'm about done with Vienna!! ha ha..Now on to the rest of the cruise!

I also had the thought this am of just getting an extra transport ticket...so that's what we'll do and the Sisi Pass for us!

It did say on the Vienna Transport site that the Schonbrunn station will be involved until 9/4/16...I think I'll just find out when we get there. I know how to get there using the tram as well!

I agree this Vienna trip is ridiculous! We always want to go back to every country we have visited...there is still so much to see that I doubt it will ever happen, but Vienna and Austria could!

Not a Mermaid,

Thank you for sharing!

I so want to go to Godollo and seriously considered going from Budapest, but our time is limited and with as hectic as Vienna is going to be, I just don't want to have to rush so much in Budapest!

I was so fascinated with Sisi as a child...I can't wait to become fascinated with her and Vienna now!

Chris

JP, what app did you use on your phone to download your walking maps?

Looking for one that doesn't use an internet connection.

Do you mean the walking maps that I posted in the blog - the map of "where we walked in this town or that?" If so, then I use Runkeeper (the free version). It's mainly for keeping track of workouts but it will give you a map of where you've walked as well. A few caveats...

1. turn your app volume off otherwise it will loudly announce your time and distance every 5 minutes or so. Great when you're out running and want to keep track of your pace. Embarrassing when you're wandering around a city with tons of tourists. You can also turn off announcements within the app if you'd prefer.

2. It does not require an internet connection to work and to record your track. It will store a backup copy of your walks online (superimposed on a detailed map) once you get back to an internet connection. Easy to use - open, start recording, and stop when you're done. You can pause and resume if you stop off for lunch or go into a museum.

3. MAKE SURE that you know how to handle how your phone uses GPS et al to geolocate you. Some newer phones pull data from cellular networks in addition to the built-in GPS in order to locate you more quickly and accurately. Even if your mobile data is turned off, geolocation will override that setting and you'll get dinged for roaming data charges. On my Android phones, there is a separate setting for "Location Services" where you can switch from "High Accuracy" mode to "GPS Only" so that you can still track walks, etc - without using mobile data.

4. It can be a bit of a battery hog. So be forewarned. I carry a backup battery in my backpack (when I remember it).

I've used this a bunch and with these precautions, it works pretty well and does not need internet, nor does it charge for roaming. I did find out about #3 from first-hand experience. :D

If you're asking about "What mapping App did you use to guide your walks around such and such a town?" then that's Google Maps. Select your area of interest while you have an internet connection, and store it for offline use. Then it's on your phone and you can call it up any time, internet connection or not. See some of my earlier posts to stonepebble for more specific instructions.

Edited by jpalbny

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how "formal" dress is on Uniworld? We are doing the Douro in Portugal next month and I have heard it is more formal than other river lines. We did Avalon last year and we were fine with slacks and a dress one night for me...does my DH need a sportsjacket? Just checking...any info would be helpful.

Hi' date='

Can anyone tell me how "formal" dress is on Uniworld? We are doing the Douro in Portugal next month and I have heard it is more formal than other river lines. We did Avalon last year and we were fine with slacks and a dress one night for me...does my DH need a sportsjacket? Just checking...any info would be helpful.[/quote']

Hi let'sgocruising,

We are discussing this very topic on another thread - Have a look at the third page of the "Recommend a river cruise line for us please" thread for a few additional answers. From my perspective - does your husband NEED a sports jacket? No, not if he doesn't want one. If he does, he'll be fine with one. Either way, IMO.

Personally, I have brought them on our cruises because (1) I like wearing them on dressier nights, (2) I have the room to pack them easily, and (3) we have cruised in March and April, with cooler weather, and they have been comfortable. But many others did not wear jackets, and it all worked out just fine! They did not have to eat in the non-jacket section... :D

Dress on Uniworld is decidedly NOT formal. It's not even formal in quotes. ;) Don't worry, and pack less.

Edited by jpalbny

Hi' date='

Can anyone tell me how "formal" dress is on Uniworld? We are doing the Douro in Portugal next month and I have heard it is more formal than other river lines. We did Avalon last year and we were fine with slacks and a dress one night for me...does my DH need a sportsjacket? Just checking...any info would be helpful.[/quote']

I have taken four Uniworld river cruises and I don't know where the idea that Uniworld is "formal" originates. I've seen this expressed elsewhere, but it is certainly not true in my experience. Here is what they have to say about dress:

"We recommend wearing comfortable, smart-casual clothing both onshore and onboard. We also suggest sturdy walking shoes, as you will do a significant amount of walking on shore excursions, often over cobblestones or uneven terrain. A sun hat, rain gear, and a coat or wrap for chilly evenings are useful items to have. For dining ashore, concerts, special events onboard, etc., men may want to bring a sports jacket and women a cocktail dress or pantsuit. Neckties are optional. Please note that shorts are not allowed at dinner aboard the ship."

If a ban on shorts at dinner is "formal" then I am all for "formal" dress. (There are exceptions of course, such as the Viking cruise I took on the Mekong, but I assume we are talking about river cruises in Europe).

I have taken four Uniworld river cruises and I don't know where the idea that Uniworld is "formal" originates. I've seen this expressed elsewhere, but it is certainly not true in my experience.

Just a guess, but it might be the decor of their ships. Just looking at the pictures makes me want to go to Brooks Brothers and buy a white Dinner Jacket! :D

Thank you all for your input...we were originally not planning on a sports jacket for him and a dress for me...slacks and a button down shirt for him works well and slacks and nice tops for me work and worked very well last year on Avalon...yes the decor on the Queen Isabel is a bit more formal but I am so up for it....4 weeks from today (but who's counting? ME!!!) Thanks again.:)

Just a guess, but it might be the decor of their ships. Just looking at the pictures makes me want to go to Brooks Brothers and buy a white Dinner Jacket! :D

The decor of the public spaces on Uniworld ships is often a bit over the top for my taste, but is much more subdued in the cabins. However, I've never needed sunglasses aboard to tone down the vivid colours.

I don't have a white dinner jacket, but rarely travel without my navy Brooks Bros blazer, at least in temperate climes.

I was at a Scenic information presentation this past weekend. They did show some short videos of 'guests' aboard their ships. A gentleman in our audience asked if the way the people dressed on the video was indicative of the dress code on board. The presenter quipped the people shown knew they were going to be in a video, so they dressed up for the occasion!

RB

Thank you, JP & Chris for such an enjoyable review.

I was riveted, you have such a nice way with words :)

I remember your valuable info from the Xpedition boards....

Once in a while I like to relive fond memories and "lurk" there, and that's where I found your newest review.

I remember the disappointment of the (floods) cancelled cruise, and so glad that you finally got to the Danube.

Wishing u lots & lots of interesting travels, Dani

I have taken four Uniworld river cruises and I don't know where the idea that Uniworld is "formal" originates. I've seen this expressed elsewhere, but it is certainly not true in my experience.

I agree, though I am jealuous...our fourth isn't until February.

I can't shake this image even a week after your post. We definitely need a picture of our esteemed host in a white dinner jacket!

The decor of the public spaces on Uniworld ships is often a bit over the top for my taste, but is much more subdued in the cabins. However, I've never needed sunglasses aboard to tone down the vivid colours.

I don't have a white dinner jacket, but rarely travel without my navy Brooks Bros blazer, at least in temperate climes.

I usually bring one too (a blazer, not a white dinner jacket!) but it's more for temperature than for a perceived "need" to dress up.

I was at a Scenic information presentation this past weekend. They did show some short videos of 'guests' aboard their ships. A gentleman in our audience asked if the way the people dressed on the video was indicative of the dress code on board. The presenter quipped the people shown knew they were going to be in a video, so they dressed up for the occasion!

Yeah, who are those people from the promotions, magazines, brochures, etc? I've never seen them on any of our cruises either.

Thanks to the posters above for an enjoyable and funny sequence. Made me smile. :)

From my personal POV, the décor on Uniworld is a fun part of the overall "escape from reality" that is part of any good vacation. I look at it as part of the fun even though it is a bit over the top - our home certainly doesn't look like that! It takes you to a different place, gives you a different mindset, however you want to put it. But personal tastes differ.

Just like I try to eat very different foods on vacations, I find that it's fun to stay in a place that doesn't look like home. I am very happy that there are big differences between Uniworld's décor and mine, though. Imagine how hard it would be to keep all that decorative stuff clean, for one...we'd never have time for vacation because we'd have to take weeks off from work to clean our house if it looked like that!

Thank you, JP & Chris for such an enjoyable review.

I was riveted, you have such a nice way with words :)

I remember your valuable info from the Xpedition boards....

Once in a while I like to relive fond memories and "lurk" there, and that's where I found your newest review.

I remember the disappointment of the (floods) cancelled cruise, and so glad that you finally got to the Danube.

Wishing u lots & lots of interesting travels, Dani

Dani!! How nice to see your name pop up again! Yes, I remember way back...when you were planning your Galapagos cruise, and afterwards, hearing about how much fun you had on that trip. It looks like you have been quite busy as well, after that trip.

Thanks for the kind words, and thanks also for stopping by to read about our Danube trip. It was such a good time for us and we're glad that we finally made it there by river boat - an area we could revisit time and time again.

I hope that we never get tired of traveling to new destinations, or failing that, I hope that such a day is far in the future. Here's hoping that your future trips are all that you wish for.

I, too, find the decor to be over the top, but no one is asking me to redecorate my house to look like a Uniworld ship, so I can live with it for a few weeks!

What I have found on the seven cruises we have taken with the company, a comfortable bed, delightful staff and crew, fabulous food, never going thirsty, seeing parts of the world with educated and engaging guides, someone who cleans my bathroom, clean laundry in a matter of hours, etc.

It's a tough life, but I'll live it gladly!

RB

From my personal POV, the décor on Uniworld is a fun part of the overall "escape from reality" that is part of any good vacation. I look at it as part of the fun even though it is a bit over the top - our home certainly doesn't look like that! It takes you to a different place, gives you a different mindset, however you want to put it. But personal tastes differ.

Unfortunately, for me, that place is Long Island in the early 1960s in the worst of the "French and Italian Provincial" cheap furniture craze. That's the image I can't shake from my head. [And no, you're not going to see a picture of me in a White Dinner Jacket because (a) I don't own one and (b) DW thinks it would make me look like a head waiter (rather than Daniel Craig as James Bond, which she would rather like) :D]

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Unfortunately, for me, that place is Long Island in the early 1960s in the worst of the "French and Italian Provincial" cheap furniture craze. That's the image I can't shake from my head. [And no, you're not going to see a picture of me in a White Dinner Jacket because (a) I don't own one and (b) DW thinks it would make me look like a head waiter (rather than Daniel Craig as James Bond, which she would rather like) :D]

That's only true if Uniworld had vinyl slipcovers on the furniture. Haha

It's really not like that in person...to us. But I am impressed by how polarizing the Uniworld décor seems to be, and the strong opinions that it generates. It's great that we all have cruise lines that work so well for us.

Since he won't post it...here's a picture of our host in his dinner jacket, looking sharp...armed and dangerous, with a license to kill all miscreant posts!

Spectre-Movie-Posters.jpg

That's only true if Uniworld had vinyl slipcovers on the furniture. Haha

LOL. And an Italian Nonna hovering nearby, holding a wooden spoon to smack you with...if you spill your food on the furniture! :eek: Or on our host's white dinner jacket! :D

Edited by jpalbny

re: Hungarian Parliament

Beautiful building, and nice to have done despite the fairly high cost of 5400Ft per person. A bit overpriced for what you get, and the tour felt a little rushed, but this is the only way to see it.

I was about ready to purchase advance tickets and then started reading the reviews. Now I'm torn about whether to pay about $20 pp for the tour. It seems to get mixed reviews, with most saying that it's too disorganized and rushed, especially later in the day. On the other hand, it sounds like it's the only way you get to see the inside of the building.

So much to see, so little time ... ;) (And thanks again for the wealth of information in all of your reviews!)

It's really not like that in person...to us. But I am impressed by how polarizing the Uniworld décor seems to be, and the strong opinions that it generates. It's great that we all have cruise lines that work so well for us.

Since he won't post it...here's a picture of our host in his dinner jacket, looking sharp...armed and dangerous, with a license to kill all miscreant posts!

Spectre-Movie-Posters.jpg

LOL. And an Italian Nonna hovering nearby, holding a wooden spoon to smack you with...if you spill your food on the furniture! :eek: Or on our host's white dinner jacket! :D

On point. :-)