Birth certificate in maiden name

NOLadyCruiser

My mom's best friend just recently lost her boyfriend rather suddenly so we added her to our cruise & we sail in 2 weeks. She did get a copy of her birth certificate but was unable to get a passport in time. Her birth certificate is in her maiden name & her DL is in her name from her 1st marriage. Only the first & middle name matches DL. Is this okay? I'm sure there are plenty of women in the same boat. Thx so much for your help!!

I don't think it will be an issue... I don't believe you are able to change your name on a birth certificate for reasons like marriage. Does she have her marriage certificate still? That might make the embarkation process go a little smoother.

I don't think it will be an issue... I don't believe you are able to change your name on a birth certificate for reasons like marriage. Does she have her marriage certificate still? That might make the embarkation process go a little smoother.

I agree, the marriage certificate might very well be needed as a "bridge" document between the DL and birth certificate.

Of course you cannot change your name on your birth certificate. In any event, because there is supposed to be evidence of both identity as well as right to enter the US, there SHOULD be some bridging between the birth certificate and the photo ID.

There are no provisions in the regulations for "bridging" documents- the birth certificate proves citizenship and the government ID proves identity. AFAIK every state that issues a drivers license requires the marriage license to change the name on the DL, so that piece has been done. With all of that said we always brought our marriage license and with that said never had to produce it.

There are no provisions in the regulations for "bridging" documents- the birth certificate proves citizenship and the government ID proves identity.

A birth certificate may prove citizenship and a photo ID may show identity; but if they are in different names they prove nothing except that one person has two - only possibly related - pieces of paper. For the regulations to have any meaning, there must be some bridging - and, while a common first name is a hint it does not provide the link that is logically needed. This is not to say that the two might not work - but that would only be because the person reviewing them does not care about the point of the exercise.

A birth certificate may prove citizenship and a photo ID may show identity; but if they are in different names they prove nothing except that one person has two - only possibly related - pieces of paper. For the regulations to have any meaning, there must be some bridging - and, while a common first name is a hint it does not provide the link that is logically needed. This is not to say that the two might not work - but that would only be because the person reviewing them does not care about the point of the exercise.

I didn't write the regulations (thank goodness:)) but the absence of a requirement shows me that it isn't the concern that you or I think that it might be. During the cruise everyone is vetted through a multitude of government databases and that is where the rubber really hits the road. As I pointed out the "bridging" occurs when the new ID is applied for, at which point documentation must be provided to support the name change. I would expect that the database would reflect the documentation used and may even have an image of the document used.

OF COURSE a BIRTH certificate is in your maiden name....it's fine! No married woman's BC matches her married name!

They are looking at the birth date....that needs to match your photo ID.

Luckily, when I married, I now use my maiden name as my "middle" name....never have had an issue.

Edited by cb at sea

It wouldn't be any different if she was still married - my birth cerificate says my birth name, my license says my married name. I am not required to take my marriage license to prove the bridge between the two.

I didn't write the regulations (thank goodness:)) but the absence of a requirement shows me that it isn't the concern that you or I think that it might be. During the cruise everyone is vetted through a multitude of government databases and that is where the rubber really hits the road. As I pointed out the "bridging" occurs when the new ID is applied for, at which point documentation must be provided to support the name change. I would expect that the database would reflect the documentation used and may even have an image of the document used.

CBP advises that a "bridging" document, when the two WHTI forms of ID do not match, MAY be requested by the CBP agent at disembarkation, and that failure to provide one MAY cause delays. I emphasize MAY in both cases, as they do, because it all depends on the DHS screening during the cruise, as you stated. In many cases, the electronic trail leads from DL via marriage license to BC, but in some cases it may not. Not all databases have been digitized, and many have errors. CBP does not REQUIRE it, but they RECOMMEND it. Many have cruised for years without it, many have been asked for one. YMMV.

Call your cruise line and double check. Then make sure you get the name and employee number so if they are wrong you have something/someone to complain specifically about. I've noticed that while the rules are supposed to be applied across the board in the same way, some ports and airports and TSA, etc. are definitely more strict when applying the rules. Also, make sure that there isn't going to be any problems with the immigration authorities in the ports.

CBP advises that a "bridging" document, when the two WHTI forms of ID do not match, MAY be requested by the CBP agent at disembarkation, and that failure to provide one MAY cause delays. I emphasize MAY in both cases, as they do, because it all depends on the DHS screening during the cruise, as you stated. In many cases, the electronic trail leads from DL via marriage license to BC, but in some cases it may not. Not all databases have been digitized, and many have errors. CBP does not REQUIRE it, but they RECOMMEND it. Many have cruised for years without it, many have been asked for one. YMMV.

Don't doubt you for a minute but do you happen to have a link to that recommendation? Of course if CBP is asking for it then the cruise has been completed so at worst the passenger has to spend a little more time with the CBP officer before being cleared. Still, if it were that big of a concern it would have been put into the DHS regulations. (And as many point out it isn't that big of a deal to bring one extra piece of paper:)).

Don't doubt you for a minute but do you happen to have a link to that recommendation? Of course if CBP is asking for it then the cruise has been completed so at worst the passenger has to spend a little more time with the CBP officer before being cleared. Still, if it were that big of a concern it would have been put into the DHS regulations. (And as many point out it isn't that big of a deal to bring one extra piece of paper:)).

No problem. Here it is from a search of "whti compliant document in two names", from the CBP info center:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1209/kw/WHTI-compliant%20document/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ2MDQ2NjAyMC9zaWQvR3IxcU9RTm0%3D

Since the BC is one of two WHTI compliant documents for closed loop cruises, if it is in the former name, this states that you HAVE to provide the bridge. I'll look for the recommendation, which I think is in an industry guide to CBP procedures.

We cruised in Jan on the RC BOS & I brought both my birth & marriage certificates plus my DL of course. I handed the birth certificate over and asked if the marriage certificate was needed and was told no. I like to cover all bases so for me bringing it was easier than having to deal with it if it was needed. I agree with the other posters tho that it seems as it isn't particularly NECESSARY, but is at the discretion of the agent who is reviewing your documents. Have her bring both just in case

No problem. Here it is from a search of "whti compliant document in two names", from the CBP info center:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1209/kw/WHTI-compliant%20document/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ2MDQ2NjAyMC9zaWQvR3IxcU9RTm0%3D

Since the BC is one of two WHTI compliant documents for closed loop cruises, if it is in the former name, this states that you HAVE to provide the bridge. I'll look for the recommendation, which I think is in an industry guide to CBP procedures.

Thank you, that is the first time I have read anything official on the matter.

It wouldn't be any different if she was still married - my birth cerificate says my birth name, my license says my married name. I am not required to take my marriage license to prove the bridge between the two.

Don't bet on it. If the person checking you in does their job per WHTI instructions provided by CBP, you WILL be asked for a bridging document.

A birth certificate showing that Mary Smith was born in the US does not show that the person identified as Mary Jones on her drivers license has ANY right to re-enter the US (even if they both showed the same birthday).

You may very well slip by given the carelessness of the processing staff -- but the regs do call for a bridging document if names are different.

Don't bet on it. If the person checking you in does their job per WHTI instructions provided by CBP, you WILL be asked for a bridging document.

A birth certificate showing that Mary Smith was born in the US does not show that the person identified as Mary Jones on her drivers license has ANY right to re-enter the US (even if they both showed the same birthday).

You may very well slip by given the carelessness of the processing staff -- but the regs do call for a bridging document if names are different.

To be specific a FAQ on the CBP website requires it, but the regulations themselves do not (at least no regulation that I've seen but I'm open to any links to said regulations since I do like to stay educated on this issue). (And I will also add that I have not seen this requirement articulated on any cruise line FAQ that I've read and that's exactly where it should be listed.)

Edited by sparks1093

My mom's best friend just recently lost her boyfriend rather suddenly so we added her to our cruise & we sail in 2 weeks. She did get a copy of her birth certificate but was unable to get a passport in time. Her birth certificate is in her maiden name & her DL is in her name from her 1st marriage. Only the first & middle name matches DL. Is this okay? I'm sure there are plenty of women in the same boat. Thx so much for your help!!

I had the same problem on my first cruise. When I phoned the cruise line (NCL) I was told to bring a copy of my marriage certificate. I brought it, showed both at check in, and there were no problems. If she has it, tell her to bring it. Then her bases are covered.

I would take the marriage license. Better to have and not need it than to need and not have it.... Speaking from experience here! My husband and I have passports but our friends who were cruising with us did not. She WAS asked for her marriage license or proof of connection of names! She did not have it and was detained nearly 2 hours until able to have it faxed to them (luckily we live in a small town where everyone knows everyone and the court house was open so we were able to do this!!) once she had it they let her board. So I tell every female I know cruising with a BC to take a ML just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In more than 60 cruises I've taken from a US port and using only a birth certificate, I've never, ever been asked for my marriage license or divorce decree.

Perhaps OP should check with the cruise line -whose agents will be doing the document checking r- ather than rely on an essentially anonymous post.

Perhaps OP should check with the cruise line -whose agents will be doing the document checking r- ather than rely on an essentially anonymous post.

I had a cruise line rep tell me that since I had to bring my birth certificate along with my Enhanced Drivers License that I should check "birth certificate" on the on-line check in form I am not sure that they are the ones to be relied upon. I would much rather rely on what is or isn't in writing coupled with the collective experience of the folks on this board.

I had a cruise line rep tell me that since I had to bring my birth certificate along with my Enhanced Drivers License that I should check "birth certificate" on the on-line check in form I am not sure that they are the ones to be relied upon. I would much rather rely on what is or isn't in writing coupled with the collective experience of the folks on this board.

While it is possible that a cruise line representative may be misinformed, I woul be more inclined to accept information from a representative of the line upon which I plan to sail than from some anonymous poster on a site like this.

In any event, arriving at "the collective experience of the folks on this board" can be problematic, given the fact that there are frequently diametrically opposed views on almost every question raised.