Do any others find RCCL's itineraries repetative and boring?

pcur

I LOVE to cruise, but I frankly cannot find an itinerary on RCCL that appeals to me anymore. Caveats: don't want to fly to Australia, and we prefer warm weather itineraries, so no Alaska, Boston, New England. Also, I am going to Europe with my bff next year, so I'm not interested in that long flight again for a while.

I looked this morning, because we got a gift certificate from our son for Christmas, and I could not find a single cruise that interested me. I finally called to make sure I could use the certificate on Celebrity. They seem to have more variety.

We just got back from Princess to Hawaii and Mexico b2b, and it was fabulous! RCCL seems to only want to do Bermuda, Bahamas, and cookie-cutter Caribbean.

We love RCCL, and we love the Caribbean, but they only go to the same 6 ports for the Eastern itinerary, and 6 Western, give or take a few.

We are itinerary cruisers, but love RCCL ships and loyalty perks. But, we don't love it enough to repeat the same itinerary year after year after year.

I'll keep looking, but right now my future bookings are with Celebrity and NCL. Am I being fussy, or do others feel this way, too?

I LOVE to cruise, but I frankly cannot find an itinerary on RCCL that appeals to me anymore. Caveats: don't want to fly to Australia, and we prefer warm weather itineraries, so no Alaska, Boston, New England. Also, I am going to Europe with my bff next year, so I'm not interested in that long flight again for a while.

I looked this morning, because we got a gift certificate from our son for Christmas, and I could not find a single cruise that interested me. I finally called to make sure I could use the certificate on Celebrity. They seem to have more variety.

We just got back from Princess to Hawaii and Mexico b2b, and it was fabulous! RCCL seems to only want to do Bermuda, Bahamas, and cookie-cutter Caribbean.

We love RCCL, and we love the Caribbean, but they only go to the same 6 ports for the Eastern itinerary, and 6 Western, give or take a few.

We are itinerary cruisers, but love RCCL ships and loyalty perks. But, we don't love it enough to repeat the same itinerary year after year after year.

I'll keep looking, but right now my future bookings are with Celebrity and NCL. Am I being fussy, or do others feel this way, too?

Well I don´t feel like you one bit, but I also wouldn´t say you are being fussy.

The Point is you are limiting yourself too much - just IMO of Course.

I´m partly like you, though I don´t Need warm weather at all and I don´t like the Caribbean at all. While Long flights are not exactly fun, I sacrifice as I want to visit all those interesting places around the world and if I can do so By cruise ship it´s all the better.

I don't think you're being fussy at all. I feel the same way. That's why my signature looks the way it does lately. No consistency. :)

Why aren't you looking at Puerto Rico? Adventure and Jewel can bring you to some marvelous ports that are definitely not "cookie-cutter."

My wife and I feel the same way. We haven't done as many cruises as you, but we are already starting to look at other cruise lines.

This August, we will be on HAL for the first time. We chose it based on the 14 day itinerary that will give us a chance to see new ports. We enjoy RC but it's getting monotonous.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Well I don´t feel like you one bit, but I also wouldn´t say you are being fussy.

The Point is you are limiting yourself too much - just IMO of Course.

I´m partly like you, though I don´t Need warm weather at all and I don´t like the Caribbean at all. While Long flights are not exactly fun, I sacrifice as I want to visit all those interesting places around the world and if I can do so By cruise ship it´s all the better.

Yes, I actually agree. We have sailed all over Europe and Australia, plus left from many ports in the US. I am just disappointed at the itineraries RCCL offers now. For instance, I want to do a Panama Canal cruise. RCCL doesn't have one, so we have to look at Celebrity and other cruise lines. If I didn't have this gift certificate to limit me to RCCL, Celebrity, and Azamara (too expensive), I'd be off scouting other cruise lines. But, I really don't WANT to do that. I WANT to give RCCL our money. However, they have so limited our choices that we have to look elsewhere.

We had a great 11 day Caribbean itinerary booked for next January, but had to cancel it to help with child care for our infant grandaughter. RCCL isn't offering it again. Sigh.

Edited by pcur

Why aren't you looking at Puerto Rico? Adventure and Jewel can bring you to some marvelous ports that are definitely not "cookie-cutter."

We've sailed out of Puerto Rico several times, and I enjoy the port. But, it's itineraries are the same cookie-cutter Eastern Caribbean. Example: the cruise next January we had to cancel include Antigua, Barbados, and St. Lucia. Those are not common in most RCCL itineraries, but it's very, very few cruises that offer them.

I think you're being fussy, because you're putting quite a few restrictions on yourself, and then complaining that there's not enough variety in what's left. But, I also agree that sailing on Adventure or Jewel out of San Juan gives you some options that most of the Florida sailings don't. (Though I believe there are some Navigator sailings out of Florida that do some different stops, as well.)

On the other hand, if you want more variety by expanding your options to other cruise lines, that's not a bad deal, either.

My wife and I feel the same way. We haven't done as many cruises as you, but we are already starting to look at other cruise lines.

This August, we will be on HAL for the first time. We chose it based on the 14 day itinerary that will give us a chance to see new ports. We enjoy RC but it's getting monotonous.

I'm feeling less lonely now in my opinion! :D

We loved HAL, and their itineraries are great. My most memorable dinner on a cruise was on HAL. We had docked in Honolulu that day, and the manager of the buffet went out to the fish market that morning early, and bought ALL the lobster tails he could find. He served grilled split lobster tails in the buffet for dinner that night....for HOURS.....and stay open until they were all gone. Amazing dinner: unlimited lobster!!

We've sailed out of Puerto Rico several times, and I enjoy the port. But, it's itineraries are the same cookie-cutter Eastern Caribbean. Example: the cruise next January we had to cancel include Antigua, Barbados, and St. Lucia. Those are not common in most RCCL itineraries, but it's very, very few cruises that offer them.

I agree that the itineraries don't vary that much. However, we have noticed some stops added recently that Royal typically does not visit that often, like Bonaire, Tortola, and Grenada.

Itineraries repetitive, Yes.

Boring, No. Never bored cruising.

If you're that picky that even the different ports you can visit out of San Juan seem "cookie cutter" to you, then you probably need to be looking at Azamara or another small-ship cruise line that goes to some of the places the big ships can't go.

In my opinion you are fussy but it is your vacation so do what you want. I just got diamond on RCCL but half my cruises have been on other lines. Find what interests you by branching out to other cruise lines may be the only way to get what you want. My mom has complained that they always go to Cozumel, Jamaica and a private island so we try to find the unique ports when we can. We tried a Celebrity cruise at Christmas time 2014 just because it had some unique stops ( St. Barths). It was also 10 days, so try longer cruises so they can go farther south.

I think you're being fussy, because you're putting quite a few restrictions on yourself, and then complaining that there's not enough variety in what's left. But, I also agree that sailing on Adventure or Jewel out of San Juan gives you some options that most of the Florida sailings don't. (Though I believe there are some Navigator sailings out of Florida that do some different stops, as well.)

On the other hand, if you want more variety by expanding your options to other cruise lines, that's not a bad deal, either.

Unfortunately, the restrictions cannot be changed right now.

I remember not too many years ago that RCCL had Mexico, Hawaii, and Panama Canal cruises. They were offered on a regular basis in-season. Also, their transatlantics included Caribbean ports on the front or back-end. Now, those are interesting itineraries.

RCCL has two Hawaii cruises to/from Vancouver at the start and end of the Alaska season. It has no Mexico and Panama Canal anymore.

I agree that the itineraries don't vary that much. However, we have noticed some stops added recently that Royal typically does not visit that often, like Bonaire, Tortola, and Grenada.

I was booked on that cruise! It's next January, and we had to cancel. They haven't offered it again for later in 2017 or 2018. That cruise is a perfect example of what I'm talking about: it's only a onesy-twosy offering. Those ports should be in the mix more often.

I'm a New Englander. Trust me, it's not cold here in the summer. The Bermuda cruse is awesome! Saw wild dolphins at sea, ship stays in Bermuda a few days and the beaches are wicked good. Lol

Thanks! Good to know.

I was booked on that cruise! It's next January, and we had to cancel. They haven't offered it again for later in 2017 or 2018. That cruise is a perfect example of what I'm talking about: it's only a onesy-twosy offering. Those ports should be in the mix more often.

Royal's website used to have a page where you could click on ports and then select "Show me cruises that visit this port". I have trouble finding this anymore.

I know some other cruisers from CC that I sailed with and they are now going on other cruise lines because they have been to each port Royal Caribbean goes to multiple times, so I can see what the OP is saying.

I know some other cruisers from CC that I sailed with and they are now going on other cruise lines because they have been to each port Royal Caribbean goes to multiple times, so I can see what the OP is saying.

Yes, it's a combination of repetition and lack of variety. I'm just not sure why RCCL is doing this, because when they do offer different itineraries, the cabin selection is limited VERY quickly. So, the variety is what other passengers are looking for, too.

Royal's website used to have a page where you could click on ports and then select "Show me cruises that visit this port". I have trouble finding this anymore.

Try this link. You can click on a region and it takes you to a page where you can choose Destinations. From there you can click on "find cruises sailing to this port".

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/home.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=1&snav=7

No, I don't think you are being fussy because I feel the same way. I have RCCL Adventure scheduled for November but for next yeR looking at other lines. Looking at Wind Star for the Caribbean for 2017 because they can get into smaller ports.

I gave been looking at other lines too but NCL has itineraries that are even more limiting. HAL has the smoking issues on the balconies which is a HUGE no-no for me. Not a huge Carnival or Princess fan.

I think one of RCCL's main issue is the size of the ships. The larger ships can't get into some of the ports. I would love to see them start building the smaller ships again. I know a lot of people want all if the bells and whistles on ships today and while they are nice but I find them impersonal.

So give me a small ship and different itineraries and I will sail forever with you RCCL!

Itineraries repetitive, Yes.

Boring, No. Never bored cruising.

Yes, it's a combination of repetition and lack of variety. I'm just not sure why RCCL is doing this, because when they do offer different itineraries, the cabin selection is limited VERY quickly. So, the variety is what other passengers are looking for, too.

I agree that the itineraries are too repetitive. I love to cruise--so I will sail to the same place multiple times, but would love more variety. We took a cruise in November that went to Bonaire, Aruba, St Lucia Grenada and Barbados. Cabins sold very quickly.

We have a cruise booked [on Celebrity] that over nights for 2 nights in New Orleans for Mardi Gras in 2017. We booked in Dec 2014. Within 3 weeks of opening the bookings the ships had sold out everything above OV.

If Royal planned a couple of longer and unique itineraries each year they would get a good bang for their buck from a smaller ship. JMHO

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

No more or less than any other mass market cruise line. Maybe you should try Europe, Alaska, Asia, etc........Your choice to do the same itineraries over and over....:eek: