MITSUGIRLY lets the BREEZE flow through her hair-Spring Break Review/Pictorial

mitsugirly

Kim can you tell me what the water temperature was like when you were at the different beach resorts. Was it really cold, and you had to warm up to it, or was it warm water like Florida? I'm sure your daughter probably didn't mind if it was cold or not, as long as she could get in and swim, right?

Thanks for your review, as always I really enjoyed it!

Honestly, it was the type of water when you first get in, it's a little bit of a chill. But once you dip under, the water felt warm and we instantly got use to it. However, that all depended on the day as well. Like when we were in

St Maarten, it was pretty cloudy when we first arrived and the water felt chilly going in because we were not really "hot". But as the day went on, it ended up being really hot out that day and the water felt wonderful. :)

We did Holiday Park which his home of the Gator Boys. It was amazing. Certainly not just a boat ride. We saw several gators too. I think 5 or 6? They had names for them and they would come right up to the boat. It was super cool. It's in my Caribbean Princess review at the bottom. We did it before the cruise so it should be started in the first couple of pages.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. If we ever need to spend more time before a flight, I'll have to look them up.

We did Holiday Park which his home of the Gator Boys. It was amazing. Certainly not just a boat ride. We saw several gators too. I think 5 or 6? They had names for them and they would come right up to the boat. It was super cool. It's in my Caribbean Princess review at the bottom. We did it before the cruise so it should be started in the first couple of pages.

I went there a couple of years ago, but we didn't get to see the show because one of the guys got bit by a gator during the show right before the one we were supposed to see! :eek:

Do you recall where on the 6th floor you were and what was underneath you?

I'm not sure who this post is for? If it's for me, I'm not sure what you are referring to on the 6th floor.

Thanks for taking me along [emoji41]. When is our next cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My next "scheduled" cruise isn't until November on the Epic. Then we have the Escape scheduled for next year. However, we will be taking a vacation some time between July 16-Aug 21st. We just don't know if we'll be doing a cruise or maybe a land vacation to some place like Cancun or something. It's up in the air still. :)

Thank you for writing these very detailed and picture filled reviews. It is so helpful when investigating future cruises and destinations! You have a great writing style! Hope you feel back to normal real soon!

You are very welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

I went there a couple of years ago, but we didn't get to see the show because one of the guys got bit by a gator during the show right before the one we were supposed to see! :eek:

GULP :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just now caught up to Sakari getting her birthday mermaid tail. She is such a cute little princess! I'm loving those mermaid tails! :) That sucks about your van situation in St. Kitts. I've been to beaches all over Puerto Rico, including several on the west side of the island, San Juan, and Luquillo, and the sand at all of them is more "golden brown" than white. I was going to do the bio bay on my last trip there in February, but many recent reviews at that time said the glow was only at about 25% of what is usually is (due to nature) so I skipped it. I'll make it there eventually.

I'm just now caught up to Sakari getting her birthday mermaid tail. She is such a cute little princess! I'm loving those mermaid tails! :) That sucks about your van situation in St. Kitts. I've been to beaches all over Puerto Rico, including several on the west side of the island, San Juan, and Luquillo, and the sand at all of them is more "golden brown" than white. I was going to do the bio bay on my last trip there in February, but many recent reviews at that time said the glow was only at about 25% of what is usually is (due to nature) so I skipped it. I'll make it there eventually.

I really really want to go to Bio Bay. I'm actually doing a report on it in class and have been researching it a lot over the week. I "think" I have learned that Mosquito Bay shines the brightest and also back in 2008-09 it was the brightest, then it went dark...unknown why but speculation was maybe too many visitors there, possibly because people were swimming in it and the chemicals (like DEET) and sun tan lotion disturbed it. There was also speculation of maybe the raining weather or the bad winds also stirred it up and it took awhile to recover. But no official study had been conducted to prove anything.

So they started letting people come back, but only on weekends F-Sun and you are no longer allowed to swim in it. It "supposed" to be recovered now.

I thought the interesting thing was it has to be the absolute perfect conditions in order for it to have the "dinoflagellates", which is the self-illuminating plankton that lights up because they are able to convert chemical energy to light, the same thing fireflies use. What causes then to light up is they get excited when there is a water disturbance.

In order for them to survive very specific nutrients must be available in the water: red mangroves must surround the bay (it produces a bacterium with rich Vitamin B12 in large quantities), the temperature must stay warm and constant, and it must be contained within a bay that is very calm with a lot of sunlight. The calm water allows the salt to sink to the bottom and the undercurrent carries it back on to the ocean. These organisms cannot survive in salty water.

Well, probably a lot more than anyone wanted to know, but once you know the facts of what bio bay is, you can't help but think what a miracle of nature it is. I believe there are only five bays in the world with them, and San Juan has three of them.

I can't wait to go and I will book a cruise out of San Juan just for this reason (some day). :D

HI all!

mitsugirly ~ sorry to learn that your vision is still not back to normal. Do you have floaters? I just had laser treatment on Thursday to remove scarring from my cataract operation 10 years ago & am experiencing them.:(

Oh I sure hope you book Escape for Oct. 14/17 as that's when I'll be sailing it followed by Carnival Conquest. I have 2 NCL & 2 CCL booked, those being my fav lines.

Wondering if you saw the movie "Shawshank Redemption". I just read that there is a tour taking people to scenes from the movie & it's in Ohio. Is it close to you?

Sending best wishes for improved vision soon.

~ Jo ~ :)

Just finished your review!! Stumbled upon it by accident, as I haven't been on these boards in awhile, but just booked the Magic for Christmas, so have to start doing research! And of course, my research always starts with your reviews! I was looking to find info on our ports, and realized you had done this Breeze review I hadn't read yet! And....of course, while reading it, I saw a post from gapearl, and realized she had done a review of the Magic! So of course, I have done nothing for the last two days but read your review of the Breeze (love this ship, been on it twice now), and hers of the Magic!! I think what I like most about your reviews, is that they are sort of instructional on port excursions!! ;-) That is SO helpful!!!!!! Can't believe how big your little one is getting! Thanks again for another fantastic trip experience review!

HI all!

mitsugirly ~ sorry to learn that your vision is still not back to normal. Do you have floaters? I just had laser treatment on Thursday to remove scarring from my cataract operation 10 years ago & am experiencing them.:(

Oh I sure hope you book Escape for Oct. 14/17 as that's when I'll be sailing it followed by Carnival Conquest. I have 2 NCL & 2 CCL booked, those being my fav lines.

Wondering if you saw the movie "Shawshank Redemption". I just read that there is a tour taking people to scenes from the movie & it's in Ohio. Is it close to you?

Sending best wishes for improved vision soon.

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi Jo. I had Lasik done 16 years ago and ended up with a floater in my left eye (of course the eye that I'm having trouble with this time around too). But I only notice it every so often. I feel like a fool when I start swatting away bugs that aren't really there. But, for the most part, it doesn't bother me too much. I have noticed it's still there after this surgery, so nothing has changed in that department. :p

We are booked on the Escape for October 21st of next year. We'll see what happens from now until then on whether or not we keep that date or move it to another date.

No, I have not seen Shawshank Redemption or know what it is. I'm pretty much a "cartoons" and "animals" movie girl with Sakari and all. That's about the only time we go to the movies, so they have to be appropriate for her because she's always by our side in everything she does. I did look it up and did see that it was filmed at the Ohio State Mansfield Reformatory. Mansfield is located a little north of us by Cleveland, but I'm well aware of it (and the horror stories that come from it) and personally wouldn't go anywhere near it. :eek: I'm a chicken and won't even watch scary movies. I would probably die of a heart attack in that place. One of my Home Health Aides just took a weekend tour there 2 weeks ago...I told her she was nuts and hopefully no spirits hitchhiked back with her. Heebie-geebies....:o

Just finished your review!! Stumbled upon it by accident, as I haven't been on these boards in awhile, but just booked the Magic for Christmas, so have to start doing research! And of course, my research always starts with your reviews! I was looking to find info on our ports, and realized you had done this Breeze review I hadn't read yet! And....of course, while reading it, I saw a post from gapearl, and realized she had done a review of the Magic! So of course, I have done nothing for the last two days but read your review of the Breeze (love this ship, been on it twice now), and hers of the Magic!! I think what I like most about your reviews, is that they are sort of instructional on port excursions!! ;-) That is SO helpful!!!!!! Can't believe how big your little one is getting! Thanks again for another fantastic trip experience review!

Nice. I hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Magic. I would love to go on her since she's a sister ship of the Dream and Breeze. Some day hopefully (fingers crossed). She has been on my list for several years as well. I will have to read gaPearls review on it and get some insight. I know she's a little different than the Breeze.

OUR ROOM: COVE BALCONY-2ND FLOOR ROOM 2441

I have only had decorations stolen once on a cruise (NCL Sun) and we recovered them the next day after finding them on someone else's door way down the hall.

My kids went on their first cruise in Feb of last year (Carnival Dream). My son bought some magnets in Cozumel to put on his door. They were stolen that very night. The next morning, we put a "Shame on You! My son bought this with his own money so he could decorate his door, and they are immediately stolen by you. I hope you enjoy them as much as he would have liked to." They were back by that afternoon and the note was gone. We never found out who took them. (I didn't mention that my son was 17 at the time. LOL)

There were several areas to play chess in.

The equipment wasn't in very good shape.

P3260222%20copy-L.jpg

P4010425%20copy-L.jpg

We are cruising the Breeze in Jan 2017. My son is going to be disappointed in the shape of the chess pieces. He is already planning on challenging his Papa to an oversized game of chess!

Love your review! We will be sailing on her in January 2017. Your pictures are awesome.

Is there a adult pool only on this ship? Usually in the serenity area on ships they have a pool or hot tubs for adults only.

Looks like we'll be cruising together!! :) I'll also be on the Breeze in Jan, on the Jamaican itinerary.

Edited by Ready2Cruise2016

Hi Kim. Just caught up on your Jade and Breeze reviews by bingeing over the last few nights. Loved reading of your cruises. Jade seemed to be really difficult. You say it as it is. We also mostly do DIY in ports.

How is the eye now? What's a 'buckeye'? Looking forward to your Epic review. We sailed it in 2013. Get a balcony room with the bed by the balcony door. Less splashing from the sink!

All the best, Ken.

My kids went on their first cruise in Feb of last year (Carnival Dream). My son bought some magnets in Cozumel to put on his door. They were stolen that very night. The next morning, we put a "Shame on You! My son bought this with his own money so he could decorate his door, and they are immediately stolen by you. I hope you enjoy them as much as he would have liked to." They were back by that afternoon and the note was gone. We never found out who took them. (I didn't mention that my son was 17 at the time. LOL)

So sad when people feel the need to steal from others. I'm glad you were able to get your sons decorations back. I truly believe that it's usually some kids that are messing around in the hallways that do it.

Hi Kim. Just caught up on your Jade and Breeze reviews by bingeing over the last few nights. Loved reading of your cruises. Jade seemed to be really difficult. You say it as it is. We also mostly do DIY in ports.

How is the eye now? What's a 'buckeye'? Looking forward to your Epic review. We sailed it in 2013. Get a balcony room with the bed by the balcony door. Less splashing from the sink!

All the best, Ken.

Glad you enjoyed the review.

The eye is a little better, but still blurry. I honestly don't think I'll be doing my other eye any time soon as I had planned. This just hasn't been a walk in the park for me. :(

What did I say about a buckeye? Refresh my memory. A buckeye is a nut. We sometimes make them as candy (peanut butter on the inside and chocolate on the outside that is made to look like the real nut). :D Ohio's nickname is "The Buckeye State" partly because many buckeye trees once covered Ohio's hills and plains. The name buckeye stems from native Americans Indians, who called the nut "hetuck" (meaning buck eye, because the markings on the nut resemble the eye of a deer). Our football team is called The Ohio State Buckeyes and our mascot has a "buckeye" head. :eek: Or...I guess you can just say we are all "nuts" here in Ohio. :p

Looking forward to your Epic review. We sailed it in 2013. Get a balcony room with the bed by the balcony door. Less splashing from the sink!

All the best, Ken.

Sorry, I had to go look up the room we booked.

We booked room 14049, which is a B4 category and it's one of the biggest balconies in the category. I can't wait. I do believe the bed is by the balcony door as well. :D

aba1b796-92ab-4288-a4f7-45d76232de66_zpscdae3342.jpg

Hi Kim. Yes, your bed is by the balcony door.

'Buckeye'..one of the posters referred to himself as a fellow 'buckeye'! I thought it might have been something about your eye condition! Lol! Glad you're recovering. Hope you enjoy Epic. We enjoyed 'freestyle' dining and the entertainment. Ship design is odd. Looking forward to your review. Ken

Hi Kim. Yes, your bed is by the balcony door.

'Buckeye'..one of the posters referred to himself as a fellow 'buckeye'! I thought it might have been something about your eye condition! Lol! Glad you're recovering. Hope you enjoy Epic. We enjoyed 'freestyle' dining and the entertainment. Ship design is odd. Looking forward to your review. Ken

OHHHHH, LOL Ok, now I know why you ask. :p Yea, we just know what the other is talking about when you hear someone say "buckeye". :D

I'm sure I will enjoy the Epic. To date, it has been my favorite ship on NCL. BUT, I'm wondering if I will feel the same going on it for a second time. It might have just been that "wow" factor of getting on a ship after so long of not cruising and the changes since that time. One of the main reasons I liked it so much back then too was Blue Man and they are no longer there. But, we'll see if my feelings for her remain the same when we go again. :)

So sad when people feel the need to steal from others. I'm glad you were able to get your sons decorations back. I truly believe that it's usually some kids that are messing around in the hallways that do it.

Yes, that's what I figured it was too. I was just glad they were returned!

I wanted to say thanks for the awesome review. we are going on the Breeze in Jan 2017 with my husband, our 4 kids, my parents, and my niece. I was worried about the lack of food options you mention. Especially since I have 3 teen boys! However, my parents do really like doing the MDR (early seating) so I'll probably make that a mandatory family time most nights. Then they can eat pizza and ice cream if they need a late night snack.

Yes, that's what I figured it was too. I was just glad they were returned!

I wanted to say thanks for the awesome review. we are going on the Breeze in Jan 2017 with my husband, our 4 kids, my parents, and my niece. I was worried about the lack of food options you mention. Especially since I have 3 teen boys! However, my parents do really like doing the MDR (early seating) so I'll probably make that a mandatory family time most nights. Then they can eat pizza and ice cream if they need a late night snack.

Yea, it would be much easier with teens (not waiting for them to get out of the kids club and can come and go as they want). Our schedule is just so different than the "norm" and we eat late at home and it was just a real task for us each night. The other thing is we are late sleepers at home, so on the cruise we will just finish breakfast and my little one will go off to the kids club and they expect you to feed them lunch during their little break, but it's hard to be hungry that soon again. It was definitely a challenge. But the Breeze is my favorite Carnival ship so far and probably one of my favorites all around (with NCL and Carnival). I would definitely go on it again if the opportunity presents itself (and that's saying a lot for me because I don't usually sail the same ship twice...even though I'm doing the NCL Epic in November for the second time, but that's ONLY because Sakari didn't get to go on that cruise and she's always talked about the Epic). :D

Yea, it would be much easier with teens (not waiting for them to get out of the kids club and can come and go as they want). Our schedule is just so different than the "norm" and we eat late at home and it was just a real task for us each night. The other thing is we are late sleepers at home, so on the cruise we will just finish breakfast and my little one will go off to the kids club and they expect you to feed them lunch during their little break, but it's hard to be hungry that soon again. It was definitely a challenge. But the Breeze is my favorite Carnival ship so far and probably one of my favorites all around (with NCL and Carnival). I would definitely go on it again if the opportunity presents itself (and that's saying a lot for me because I don't usually sail the same ship twice...even though I'm doing the NCL Epic in November for the second time, but that's ONLY because Sakari didn't get to go on that cruise and she's always talked about the Epic). :D

I think I'd like to experience different ships each time.. But I've only been on 2 cruises. The Breeze will be my 3rd.

I'm a little late to the party, but I'd finished your review a couple weeks ago but only had access to my cell phone and me and thumb typing do not work.

I really enjoyed your review of Carnival Breeze and glad you got to visit some of our favorite ports (the "saints"). As always, your pictures are just beautiful! I just feel bad that you didn't get a chance to snorkel but that's a great excuse to book another cruise. That's my excuse anyway. :)

I had been "MIA" from CC except when I had access to Wifi for a while due to a family emergency back in the "homeland" (the Pittsburgh area) and I have a new appreciation for what you do and being a nurse. Just about every single ICU nurse my family had contact with was just awesome and the people skills they all had...just so compassionate and friendly and under such stressful situations. So thank you for what you do...I'm sure there are countless times that you make a difference in people's lives.

Thank you for sharing another cruise with us through a review and looking forward to your next cruise. :)

I'm a little late to the party, but I'd finished your review a couple weeks ago but only had access to my cell phone and me and thumb typing do not work.

I really enjoyed your review of Carnival Breeze and glad you got to visit some of our favorite ports (the "saints"). As always, your pictures are just beautiful! I just feel bad that you didn't get a chance to snorkel but that's a great excuse to book another cruise. That's my excuse anyway. :)

I had been "MIA" from CC except when I had access to Wifi for a while due to a family emergency back in the "homeland" (the Pittsburgh area) and I have a new appreciation for what you do and being a nurse. Just about every single ICU nurse my family had contact with was just awesome and the people skills they all had...just so compassionate and friendly and under such stressful situations. So thank you for what you do...I'm sure there are countless times that you make a difference in people's lives.

Thank you for sharing another cruise with us through a review and looking forward to your next cruise. :)

Aww such kind words. Being a nurse is not an easy job but I wouldn't have it any other way. I really appreciate you taking the time to say that and I hope your emergency is all better now.

Glad you enjoyed the review. (BTW, I'm not a very good thumb typer either) :D

• 3 weeks later...