Anthem Of The Seas' best feature: The Solarium

I just got back from 12 days on Anthem Of The Seas, and had a fantastic time. Wow, what a ship! It's so fun to go on a cruise line's latest ship to see what improvements they've made over previous generations. I was VERY impressed with Anthem.

My favorite thing about Anthem Of The Seas is the Solarium. That is such a great place to spend time and just totally relax. I actually enjoyed the Solarium more than the (very expensive) Haven courtyard on Norwegian Escape... because the Solarium is adults-only, has a MUCH larger pool, larger Jacuzzis, is kept warmer, and has a fantastic view.

Solarium-IMG_0243.JPG

I'll be working on a full review of everything I loved about Anthem Of The Seas, but that's going to take me a week or two to put together... since it will involve sorting through and tweaking the hundreds of photos I shot during the cruise.

For now, I'd like to share with you a video I put together about the Solarium. Using a motion-stabilized video camera, I take you through the Solarium and show you the water features, the view, the loungers and daybeds, the bar, a secret entrance not many people know about, and a secret viewing deck just outside.

If you've got six minutes to watch and listen to the video, please head over to

You said this was shot early in the morning - how early?

I shot it on a port day when most of the passengers were busy getting ready for our arrival in port, and weren't planning on spending the morning in the Solarium. So, that's why it was so empty, even though I think it was actually somewhere around 9 or 10 AM when I shot it. The Solarium Bistro is only open for breakfast from 8-10 AM, so it was definitely shot during that time frame.

On the last three sea days, you would only find the Solarium that empty at around 7 AM, or in the evening. At the beginning of the cruise, on the first two sea days, not everybody had discovered the Solarium yet... so it might have still been that empty at 8 AM or maybe a little later. But it was definitely a popular place... and by 10 AM most sea days, there would not be an empty lounger to be found.

On port days, of course, it was much easier to find a lounger or day bed in the Solarium.

Can't wait for your full review, even though we have sailed on the Anthem. It was one of our best Caribbean cruises. Just finished your NCL Escape review. Great review with lots of info. We just got an upsell to the Haven, so your review was very informative.

From your Haven photos I can see why you liked the Solarium on Anthem so much. The Haven pool area looks very small. Luckily, we are not pool people. Plus I read that during high season, the Haven can be overtaken with children.

P.S. Great speaking voice.

We were on the same cruise and I have to mostly agree, between the solarium and two70 we probably spent the vast majority of our on board time at one of those two venues, at least morning to sunset. Loved them both, loved the ship, the crew, everything. We had one or two very minor snafus with dining but experienced little if not none of the issues I've been reading about. The ship did seem to move a little at times especially morning-evening of day 11, but I've only ever sailed to New England/Canada so I'm not sure if that's just the nature of the route to the Caribbean.

On that note I'm taking this opportunity to piggy back on your video and share one of my own. Not of just the solarium, but more of a quick highlights/recap I put together. After spending two hours working on it I uploaded it to YouTube, deleted the project, then realized I missed a sunset clip and forgot the n in southern in the opening! Oh well...

Edited by jsswish