Luggage

tawill

We will be going on the Crown in June to Alaska. On our previous cruises we drove to port and went to warm climates so luggage was not an issue. We will have to fly to port this time and are trying to figure out whether to cram everything in carryon luggage or do checked luggage. I've ready where the cruise lines are just as bad if not worse with lost and/or damaged luggage. Any thoughts/suggestions?

We will be going on the Crown in June to Alaska. On our previous cruises we drove to port and went to warm climates so luggage was not an issue. We will have to fly to port this time and are trying to figure out whether to cram everything in carryon luggage or do checked luggage. I've ready where the cruise lines are just as bad if not worse with lost and/or damaged luggage. Any thoughts/suggestions?

You will have to pack for various weather conditions, cool, warm, rain, fog. Layered clothing is the way to go. You will need clothing like long sleeve shirts, sweatshirt or sweater, jacket or wind breaker. long slacks, warm socks. cap, comfortable shoes for cool weather. Doubt you can fit all that in a carry on. We have never experienced any damage to luggage at the port, of course anything is possible. Airlines, however, have damaged our luggage.

I've never had a problem with luggage and Princess, or any other cruise line for that matter.

Regarding clothing, you might also bring long silk undies. They really helped me on my Alaska cruises. Dress like an onion - layers.

There is always the odd experience that you hear about but by and large I've never heard of luggage problems directly attributable to a cruise line alone ... private transfers, people not going to the naughty room for a piece of luggage, not labeling their luggage correctly or putting it out in the hall by the requested time, etc. yes.

Now airlines are another matter but even there it is more about damaged luggage rather than something that was completely lost and unrecoverable.

We use one checked luggage and two carry-on's for all Cruises. We carry 6 days of clothing plus what we are wearing. Tux and shoes are rented aboard for Formal night. We stay in PH Suites so laundry is free and we are spoiled. Most ships have some laundry rooms and Change operated machines. Yes, you can bring your own laundry dry soap, no liquids. There is really no need to bring 10 changes of clothes for a 7 day cruise.

YMMV

Luggage does not routinely get lost

You only read about lost luggage not about the millions of other bags that aren't lost

Edited by SeaUs

We've traveled for up to two months in all kinds of climates with a carry on and a personal item each. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Viv0828

We use one checked luggage and two carry-on's for all Cruises. We carry 6 days of clothing plus what we are wearing. Tux and shoes are rented aboard for Formal night. We stay in PH Suites so laundry is free and we are spoiled. Most ships have some laundry rooms and Change operated machines. Yes, you can bring your own laundry dry soap, no liquids. There is really no need to bring 10 changes of clothes for a 7 day cruise.

YMMV

We took laundry liquid in little sealed pouches - as they are sold. No problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of times on airlines. On Celebrity my bag was damaged when a forklift put its prongs right through the bag when loading. I showed it to my steward wh picked it up the next day and returned it withi 2 days so carefully mended you had to really check to see damage. Don't know who mended it but their skills are wasted on a cruise line. I generally never spend a lot on luggage I figure it's going to get banged around anyway. One of the joys of travelling!

The cruise line has been great about the luggage. However I did hear of one instance with guests. A friend of mine did not get her bag containing her family's underwear u til the last night. It seems the young girls in the cabin next door drug the bag into their cabin. Each girl thought it was the other's bag all week until they put the bags out the night before debarkation.

Lesson learned: Spread your family's clothing into all of the bags you bring.

Did have one bag that was slimy when we got to our room. Luggage gets stacked in 6' high bins to take onboard. Apparently a suitcase above ours had a bottle of shampoo open that leaked on lower bags. On RCCI we did see bags falling from those bins onto the pier into puddles (but bin design is different).

And it was interesting trying to get a new suitcase in an Acapulco Walmart after the airline tore the top pocket out of one suitcase. Could not remember the Spanish word for suitcase but had four employees trying to help. Still not sure what I actually paid for it, either. Duct tape probably would have been a better choice (at least I could find that).

....... .....

And it was interesting trying to get a new suitcase in an Acapulco Walmart after the airline tore the top pocket out of one suitcase. Could not remember the Spanish word for suitcase but had four employees trying to help. Still not sure what I actually paid for it, either. Duct tape probably would have been a better choice (at least I could find that).

We've resorted to pictograms at times.

Only one time have we had an issue when checking luggage for a cruise. RCI put our suitcase into the wrong cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for confirming this.

We purchased 3-in-1 laundry sheets prior to cruising last month. I did not have high expectations, but knew the ease of packing & light weight factor would be nice. We were very pleased with the results! No static cling at all from the dryer, sheet just goes from one machine to the other! The 10 pack went for about $6 online. Saving the rest for January aboard the Crown! Easy peasy! :D

My husband and I have been debating this for our upcoming Alaska cruise as well. He wants to buy a second carry-on suitcase so we can jam everything into them. I want to check one regular suitcase and use carry-ons. I keep trying to explain to him that there is no possible way our stuff will fit into two carry-ons. But he's determined lol. I guess I'll make him do the packing then. The 3-in1 laundry sheet is such a good idea! Never would've thought of that.