Upcoming Prinsendam Drydock

HappyMe_

Sorry for going slightly off topic here!

To anyone on board Prinsendam right now, who are the current captain and cruise director?

Also, how many passengers are onboard at the moment? Checked the HAL website for our upcoming cruise next on Thursday and I noticed that there were available cabins in all categories.

We had requested 2nd seating but were told by our travel agent that only open seating was available at the moment. Will we be able to change it once on board if the ship is not filled to capacity?

On the Lido: During the day - all food [except served food] is available at all times until after dinner. All the dinners seem to come from the starboard side, the port side has the Canaletto prep [though it's not marked as on the other ships] and the drinks only. The side that is usually the easiest to find an empty table.

On the new ship emblem: it is not painted on as I thought - it is a stencil-looking metal outline attached to the funnel. Now I have to go back and see if the old emblems are also not painted but an attached emblem also. This is the wrong time of year to investigate. :D

Sorry for going slightly off topic here!

To anyone on board Prinsendam right now, who are the current captain and cruise director?

Also, how many passengers are onboard at the moment? Checked the HAL website for our upcoming cruise next on Thursday and I noticed that there were available cabins in all categories.

We had requested 2nd seating but were told by our travel agent that only open seating was available at the moment. Will we be able to change it once on board if the ship is not filled to capacity?

The Captain is Norwegian Dag Dvergastein, the cruise director is Linda [no last name] dark hair, British??

No number on the passengers, but I think we are pretty full. We are also repositioning which may affect the numbers as compared to a regular round trip cruise.

Edited by Happily@Sea

Anyone able to post any details on the new Marketplace and other changes out of Drydock? We will be on her in Late August and looking for any news.

TIA

The physical layout of lido is the exact same as before but everything has received a facelift. I will post pics when we get some decent bandwidth. The biggest change we have noticed is the high level of service when eating there. No more getting your own water or tea ( hot tea, coffee, and juice are still self serve). Linda the cruise director said that when they install the market place that is part of it, more servers.

Other changes, new carpet it seems everywhere, the hull is a clean blue, not patched, new furniture in lido.

PRDM's CD is Linda Minnikin

John,

My husband and I will be on the Prinsendam in August. Boarding on the 23rd. We will be on for almost two months as we are taking her to the Black Seas (departing Oct 20th).

You mentioned that Linda is the CD. But will the Captain still be Captain Dag or will be Captain Tim Roberts be the Captain for our two months. Also who will be the HD? Bart or Cees? And who is the new Dining Room Manager now that Kiki has retired?

Also, what she will you be sailing on next. Would like ver to sail with you again!!!

Thanks, Sharon and Al

Edited by Storylady

KirkNC,

Many thanks for the photos! Having sailed on Prinsendam in December/January, I don't see much that is different, except maybe better use of serving line space in the Lido and maybe new carpet in the Ocean Bar. I really enjoyed that Bar!

John,

My husband and I will be on the Prinsendam in August. Boarding on the 23rd. We will be on for almost two months as we are taking her to the Black Seas (departing Oct 20th).

You mentioned that Linda is the CD. But will the Captain still be Captain Dag or will be Captain Tim Roberts be the Captain for our two months. Also who will be the HD? Bart or Cees? And who is the new Dining Room Manager now that Kiki has retired?

Also, what she will you be sailing on next. Would like ver to sail with you again!!!

Thanks, Sharon and Al

That's an awesome itinerary on a very nice ship, Ma'am! You'll actually have both captains. You'll also have both Bart and Cees as HD, plus you'll have another very experienced DRM, Tri Wiyono, for the duration. Have a great time! :) PS, I saw Kiki briefly in Tanjung Priok/Jakarta in March when he came onboard to visit. He's looking good in his retirement!

Edited by Copper10-8

That's an awesome itinerary on a very nice ship, Ma'am! You'll actually have both captains. You'll also have both Bart and Cees as HD, plus you'll have another very experienced DRM, Tri Wiyono, for the duration. Have a great time! :) PS, I saw Kiki briefly in Tanjung Priok/Jakarta in March when he came onboard to visit. He's looking good in his retirement!

Thanks Copper, I am glad that Kiki is doing good, we miss him, and Tri is in his final year to according to him, by the way Linda is from Newcastle, and she is a lot of fun

Thanks John for the quick response. You must have been on the Amsterdam or the Rotterdam in March because our Security Officer on the Volendam was Tim Lancaster.

We were on the last cruise for Captain James Russell-Dunford. He retired when he reached Hong Kong after a wonderful Solar Eclipse cruise. If I remember correctly, you were the Security Officer onboard the Maasdam in 2012 for the Voyage of the Vikings. Captain James was the captain then.

Thanks John for the quick response. You must have been on the Amsterdam or the Rotterdam in March because our Security Officer on the Volendam was Tim Lancaster.

We were on the last cruise for Captain James Russell-Dunford. He retired when he reached Hong Kong after a wonderful Solar Eclipse cruise. If I remember correctly, you were the Security Officer onboard the Maasdam in 2012 for the Voyage of the Vikings. Captain James was the captain then.

I'm glad you had a chance to meet "Lord Lancaster", former Royal Navy Reserve ;) Great guy! Yes, I was working that Voyage of the Vikings with the cancelled Greenland stops due to weather and the extra overnight in Reykjavik, only the east bound portion though; got off in Southampton

Only 2 more days until we board. It is good to know that she is still getting love from HAK! The photos look good, just as I remember her, except maybe for the color scheme on the Lido buffet line, I think that look a bit different back then.

Our group is staying in 3 verandah cabins next to each other, is it possible to open the partition walls on the balconies?

Also, do they still have the pralines and chocolates trays in the Explorers Lounge after dinner? Loved those!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I'm glad you had a chance to meet "Lord Lancaster", former Royal Navy Reserve ;) Great guy! Yes, I was working that Voyage of the Vikings with the cancelled Greenland stops due to weather and the extra overnight in Reykjavik, only the east bound portion though; got off in Southampton

Tim was great in Bali when we had to wait almost an hour inside the Cruise Terminal for a tender. The Volendam had to moved rom the dock into the channel due to the tide. Then the tide was so strong that our tenders couldn't maneuver. So the Captain had to hire two huge ferries that had nine 300-HP outboard engines and even they had trouble. Tim talked to everybody in line. Explaining why the line wasn't moving and why we had to wait. He even promised everybody "champagne trolley on the ferry" and I believed him!

That VOV cruise was very memorable. You know that we made it through Prince Christiansund on the way back and we missed another port-St Anthony's.

Hope to have another memorable voyage with you someday on one of the DAM ships!!

Tim was great in Bali when we had to wait almost an hour inside the Cruise Terminal for a tender. The Volendam had to moved rom the dock into the channel due to the tide. Then the tide was so strong that our tenders couldn't maneuver. So the Captain had to hire two huge ferries that had nine 300-HP outboard engines and even they had trouble. Tim talked to everybody in line. Explaining why the line wasn't moving and why we had to wait. He even promised everybody "champagne trolley on the ferry" and I believed him!

That VOV cruise was very memorable. You know that we made it through Prince Christiansund on the way back and we missed another port-St Anthony's.

Hope to have another memorable voyage with you someday on one of the DAM ships!!

Do you have a "throw away" email address or are on FB?

That looks like the Ocean Bar. The shape of the chairs is the same as summer 2013, but the fabrics (color and pattern) are completely different.

Thanks for posting the photos, KirkNC.

Yes all the furniture is new.

On a more somber note, we had a medical evac in the middle of the night. No details but I pray who ever is involved recovers quickly.