Upcoming Prinsendam Drydock

HappyMe_

Aren't there tables outside near the pool where we could take our food from the Lido?
If you mean by the mid-ship pool, yes. I was thinking you meant out by the aft pool, like on the Vista and Signature ships.

Aren't there tables outside near the pool where we could take our food from the Lido?

Do keep in mind that the Prinsendam's Lido pool is not covered. In inclement weather, or extreme latitudes, it can be a less than welcoming place to sit and eat.

• 1 month later...

:) On the recent Grand Med cruise, Linda and I were lucky enough to sit at the Captain's Table on one of the formal or should I say Gala nights. Capt Roberts said that they were spending multi millions of dollars on this dry dock and expect the ship to be part of the HAL for several more years. Besides the Lido changes, She was having her bottom scraped and repainted, All teak decks were being redone. He pointed out that this probably the first time since the ship was built and that all her decks are real teak over 1" thick and not veneer like on most of the newer ships. Also a New A/C unit is being added to make it easier to cool the entire vessel. He mentioned something also about the evaporators which make fresh water. The will be replaced by some newer technology. Those were the major items

:) On the recent Grand Med cruise, Linda and I were lucky enough to sit at the Captain's Table on one of the formal or should I say Gala nights. Capt Roberts said that they were spending multi millions of dollars on this dry dock and expect the ship to be part of the HAL for several more years. Besides the Lido changes, She was having her bottom scraped and repainted, All teak decks were being redone. He pointed out that this probably the first time since the ship was built and that all her decks are real teak over 1" thick and not veneer like on most of the newer ships. Also a New A/C unit is being added to make it easier to cool the entire vessel. He mentioned something also about the evaporators which make fresh water. The will be replaced by some newer technology. Those were the major items

When you get a chance, can you tell me more about the Lido changes? Thanks. Hope you have a great cruise.

When you get a chance, can you tell me more about the Lido changes? Thanks. Hope you have a great cruise.

See Post No. 4 by OlsSalt for an description of the Marketplace concept.

Sounds like what they have on RCLs Brilliance of the Seas, just on a smaller scale probably:

windjammer--v10411757-cc-720.jpg

There are separate buffet "islands" for the different food items and you just walk around and pick what you like, without having to stand in one long line.

Looking forward to see pictures before our cruise on June 2. :-)

On the new Koningsdam, the photos posted here, are what the new food market looks like. The concept will go fleet wide, but since the space available on all of the ships that will get the new concept have an enclosed kitchen or service area in the middle of the Lido deck (including Prinsendam), it is unlickly that there is room for the buffet islands, like seen above!

I assume that all of the food markets will have the same appearance as on Koningsdam.

Prinsendam is much smaller, so they will have to compromise there!

DSC01046_zpsh537lsqo.jpg

DSC01045_zps58qpqoy0.jpg

DSC01047_zps6xgwwc1o.jpg

DSC01048_zpsqsozamss.jpg

Anybody know if they're still serving Dutch "Poffertjes" (small, fluffy pancakes) on PRDM in the Lido? The only ship they were doing it on, but it's been a while since we sailed her.

If anyone is going to Charlottetown, PEI, there is a Dutch Poffertjes store in town on Victoria Row, walking distance from the dock http://www.poffertjes.ca/

Anybody know if they're still serving Dutch "Poffertjes" (small, fluffy pancakes) on PRDM in the Lido? The only ship they were doing it on, but it's been a while since we sailed her.

If anyone is going to Charlottetown, PEI, there is a Dutch Poffertjes store in town on Victoria Row, walking distance from the dock http://www.poffertjes.ca/

We just came off 55 days on the P'Dam and did not notice any Poffertjes in the Lido. And not sure that would matter since the ship went into a 12 day drydock (right after we returned) and the entire serving area of the Lido was scheduled to undergo a total refit and be turned into the Market Place (sans Pizza) similar to other ships in the fleet. After drydock there will be some major changes in the Lido including the new multi-station market place concept, elimination of pizza, elimination of the custom made sandwich bar, etc. Not sure why HAL calls the elimination of options an upgrade (sounds more like a downgrade) but it is what it is.

Hank

They serve poffertjes in the Dutch Cafe on Koningsdam :-)

This was THE place to be for all of the Dutch expats! :D

Not for the regular Dutch citizens though, because items in there are all not included and quite pricey, which is off course against the Dutch nature! ;)

See Post No. 4 by OlsSalt for an description of the Marketplace concept.

Sounds like what they have on RCLs Brilliance of the Seas, just on a smaller scale probably:

windjammer--v10411757-cc-720.jpg

There are separate buffet "islands" for the different food items and you just walk around and pick what you like, without having to stand in one long line.

Looking forward to see pictures before our cruise on June 2. :-)

Thanks. I had read the whole thread, but I'm hoping for a first hand account. I look forward to people sharing their experiences.

Not for the regular Dutch citizens though, because items in there are all not included and quite pricey, which is off course against the Dutch nature! ;)

Thanks for the heads up, Jeroen! I walked through the Dutch Café while visiting KODM in Civitavecchia but did not look at the menu

I have thought that food items - including poffertjes ;)- were free in the Dutch Café and you only had to pay for coffees etc. Am I wrong here?? I have been looking forward to sitting in the Dutch Café quite a lot during our T/A in October...

Bolding is mine. This is all good news :) :). Thanks so much for sharing :)

Yes, and they are nice and yummy hot, right out of the pan, made fresh to order!! We've been there twice, finding it the first time on a foodie walking tour of the town. Can't wait to get back. :D

We just came off 55 days on the P'Dam and did not notice any Poffertjes in the Lido. And not sure that would matter since the ship went into a 12 day drydock (right after we returned) and the entire serving area of the Lido was scheduled to undergo a total refit and be turned into the Market Place (sans Pizza) similar to other ships in the fleet. After drydock there will be some major changes in the Lido including the new multi-station market place concept, elimination of pizza, elimination of the custom made sandwich bar, etc. Not sure why HAL calls the elimination of options an upgrade (sounds more like a downgrade) but it is what it is.

Hank

In the Lido:

There is still pizza, but it doesn't seem to be always available, I'll have to check some of the between times to be sure.

Tables and chairs are new, and if the nap from the carpet is any indicator, also new carpets.

Yes, and they are nice and yummy hot, right out of the pan, made fresh to order!! We've been there twice, finding it the first time on a foodie walking tour of the town. Can't wait to get back. :D

Will be there in the Fall :)

In the Lido:

There is still pizza, but it doesn't seem to be always available, I'll have to check some of the between times to be sure.

Tables and chairs are new, and if the nap from the carpet is any indicator, also new carpets.

Is the pizza improved, or do they still leave the image of the stuff sitting under a heat lamp for hours? The info we received (prior to dry dock) was that they had no plans to install a real pizza oven...which meant no pizza. On the other hand, we have seen HAL serve something they call pizza...although many passengers thought it was anything but! :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Is the pizza improved, or do they still leave the image of the stuff sitting under a heat lamp for hours? The info we received (prior to dry dock) was that they had no plans to install a real pizza oven...which meant no pizza. On the other hand, we have seen HAL serve something they call pizza...although many passengers thought it was anything but! :)

Hank

In a circular glass canister with a heat lamp. Not as good as what I had on the Westerdam, I have not had a chance to try the fresh stuff from the NAdam.