Undelivered Message

My BIL and SIL took a cruise on Liberty on April 3-10 of 2016. On April 6th a relative passed away. My in-laws' son called the ship and left a message telling them of the death with whoever answers the ships phones. In-laws never received the message. Found out when they came back home.

This should be brought to someones attention. Fellow CCers who should be contacted and how?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Traudi

You know, it depends how they have their phone set up. Either way...it wouldn't have made much of a difference. I would assume they would have called the relatives CELL phones, instead of the ship....but if they called the ship...there's no way to track it.

Let it go. The deceased wasn't harmed...there was nothing the cruisers could have done to help.

Let it go.

Edited by cb at sea

My BIL and SIL took a cruise on Liberty on April 3-10 of 2016. On April 6th a relative passed away. My in-laws' son called the ship and left a message telling them of the death with whoever answers the ships phones. In-laws never received the message. Found out when they came back home.

This should be brought to someones attention. Fellow CCers who should be contacted and how?

Traudi

WOW, that is very unfortunate, and should NOT have happened. I would also want to follow this up. When we cruise, we always give our family our T/A's number. I'm sure she would talk to the right person, or help our family connect.

Sorry for the family's loss.

Traudi

Thank you for sharing this! I gave ship information to family for a cruise I am taking with my immediate family next week. I put my cell phone in the safe and I don't touch it for the week, so I need another way to be contacted in case of an emergency. Knowing this, I will do a bit more research about how to relay important messages on the ship if need be. If I need to get home from the next port stop I want that information ahead of time to make arrangements!

Even if I don't buy an Internet package,you get some free minutes to check email from home at least a few times during the week,if not daily. I have used the ships computers if I don't bring iPad. Also any smart phone can be used to access internet on airplane mode and free minutes.

Sorry for your loss

Edited by pete1681

Thank you for sharing this! I gave ship information to family for a cruise I am taking with my immediate family next week. I put my cell phone in the safe and I don't touch it for the week, so I need another way to be contacted in case of an emergency. Knowing this, I will do a bit more research about how to relay important messages on the ship if need be. If I need to get home from the next port stop I want that information ahead of time to make arrangements!

Talk with your cell phone provider you may just need to turn off data roaming but still get texts I use a cruise package offered by AT&T...no reason to put it in the safe...what good is it to you that way in case of an emergency and you need to be contacted. I would never rely on the ship. JMHO.

Talk with your cell phone provider you may just need to turn off data roaming but still get texts I use a cruise package offered by AT&T...no reason to put it in the safe...what good is it to you that way in case of an emergency and you need to be contacted. I would never rely on the ship. JMHO.

I would not rely on the ship either. Check email every day or two if you don't want to use your phone.

Research? Check your email or your phone for texts. My friend's son was taken to the ER and her mother could not reach the ship by phone. Use texts or email.

Back in 1995, my hubby and I were on a cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We left our two youngest children at home with grandparents. On day 2 of our cruise, while out to sea, we received a call into our cabin on the cabin phone from our oldest adult son back home telling us of an emergency with one of our daughters. They could not reach us until we were back out to sea (we were in port earlier that day). But because I gave all cruise info to my parents, my son was able to call cruise line and connected him into our cabin. The cruise line quickly moved into action, tendering us to the nearest island (St Kitts), and having a driver waiting for us, who took us to a travel agent (also awaiting our arrival after notification by cruise line of our emergency) who arranged for a flight out of St Kitts to Antigua, where we caught an Air Canada flight back into Toronto. Now days most people carry their cell phones with them---except us! We are like you--cell phones stay behind and off while on vacation. But I continue to give all itinerary info to all of our children in case of an emergency. BTW---it was that one vacation without travel insurance that has now influenced me to never travel without insurance. You never know when you will need it. Oh---for those wondering about the emergency, it all worked out fine. Our teenage daughter was ok, and is now a mother herself and avid cruiser! 😊

Back in 1995, my hubby and I were on a cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We left our two youngest children at home with grandparents. On day 2 of our cruise, while out to sea, we received a call into our cabin on the cabin phone from our oldest adult son back home telling us of an emergency with one of our daughters. They could not reach us until we were back out to sea (we were in port earlier that day). But because I gave all cruise info to my parents, my son was able to call cruise line and connected him into our cabin. The cruise line quickly moved into action, tendering us to the nearest island (St Kitts), and having a driver waiting for us, who took us to a travel agent (also awaiting our arrival after notification by cruise line of our emergency) who arranged for a flight out of St Kitts to Antigua, where we caught an Air Canada flight back into Toronto. Now days most people carry their cell phones with them---except us! We are like you--cell phones stay behind and off while on vacation. But I continue to give all itinerary info to all of our children in case of an emergency. BTW---it was that one vacation without travel insurance that has now influenced me to never travel without insurance. You never know when you will need it. Oh---for those wondering about the emergency, it all worked out fine. Our teenage daughter was ok, and is now a mother herself and avid cruiser! 😊

Glad it all worked out for you back in 1995...since getting in contact with the ship was the only alternative then.

Now...No reason to be so afraid of our cell phones...when managed correctly. I prefer to only be a direct phone call, text or email away from my family in an emergency

A call such as a family Emergency should have been placed to the Hotel Director only to place on onus on the top tier person to handle the message. Speak to them personally. 5 Star hotels have handled this right for years. The ships want us to believe they are 5 Star. Prove it !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by jcg4550

You know, it depends how they have their phone set up. Either way...it wouldn't have made much of a difference. I would assume they would have called the relatives CELL phones, instead of the ship....but if they called the ship...there's no way to track it.

Let it go. The deceased wasn't harmed...there was nothing the cruisers could have done to help.

Let it go.

A pretty insensitive (and dumb) response!

They could have opted to fly home early from a port of possibly helped to coordinate arrangements.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Same here. I say a prayer of safe keeping over our family/home and we put our phones in the safe as soon as we pull away from the pier. We take one with us on excursions just in case of emergency. For our family at home, I print out detailed calling instructions with the RC phone number, cabin number, and ship. I also leave an emergency credit card to cover the cost. My husband and I have demanding jobs and the last thing we want to do is have our hips buzzing because people at work are sending texts and emails while we are trying to unplug. :-)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I would suggest you contact this individual, with all the information concerning this incident. It's too late concerning your situation, but maybe a repeat can be avoided in the future.

Aurora Ayera-Rodriguez

Aurora "Laly" Yera-Rodriguez Director, Guest Relations & Shared Services Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, & Royal Caribbean International

ayera-rodriguez@rccl.com

Traudi

I'd have no clue on how to call a ship. I'd start right there w/ the number he called. Identify how the phones are answered, explain what happened, and then ask for the Capt.

Let it go.

Wow, why would you say something like this. You have no idea what their situation was or what they could have done. Seriously

My only thought with this is at least on the Radiance last summer, it was NOT obvious that there was a message waiting on the phone. The coordinator of our group had left a message for me about something which I missed - happened to run into her on my way to whatever it was that had been changed and she got me to the correct area after checking my cabin number since she had left a message. When I got back, I looked closely at the phone, and on the screen there was something indicating a message, but there was no blinking light to indicate one. Had the coordinator not said she left a message for me, I wouldn't have even known to look at the phone.

Not saying this is true on all ships - I may even have had a bad phone - but unless they looked at the phone each time they were in the cabin, the possibility exists that there was a message left and they were not aware of it.

In 2007 my husband'S uncle passed away unexpectedly while we were cruising, and my in laws were on the cruise with it (this was my father in law's brother).

The family member who called the ship asked to be transferred to "Mr XXXX's" room and left a message directly on the room phone. It was 3 days later before anyone happened to notice that there was a message.

Is it possible that you in-law's son did something similar--just asked to leave them a message and was connected to their voice mail on the room phone and that the ship's staff were not aware of the extent of the situation?

Research? Check your email or your phone for texts. My friend's son was taken to the ER and her mother could not reach the ship by phone. Use texts or email.

Lol! Yes research, another lost art.... I understand yours, and others positions on this, and I respect it. I am sure most are reading my original post and thinking, "this nut case needs to get with the times!" And I understand that, I really do! I just am so connected 24/7 for work that one of the things I love about a cruise is the ability not to touch my phone. Other than "true" vacations where I am actually away from home, I have my work phone (can't use it personally as it has sensitive information on it), a tablet w/ 4G and of course bluetooth for my car as I am in my car a lot. I can be reached multiple ways at any given time. Now, when I am on a cruise I certainly can, and have taken my phone out every few days to check emails when we are in a port with free wifi. (no free minutes for me) However, if I need to be reached quickly, I would love to know that there is a reliable way for that to happen that is not related to my cell phone. Seems simple enough.

And to CB at Sea, the need to connect with family during times of tragedy is not always about what one might be able to do, it is a matter of the family back home needing to put closure to delivering the information. I was at sea back in the day when we didn't even have a cell phone (and I am only 44 by the way...) and my Mom died. My family back home just needed the peace of mind of letting me know. And the ship was able to assist me in getting home fast.

To each their own. My brother, only a few years older than me doesn't even own any type of cell phone. I still have a land line, at times I seriously consider getting rid of my cell phone. I honestly don't use it much.

Edited by live2vayk

My only thought with this is at least on the Radiance last summer, it was NOT obvious that there was a message waiting on the phone. The coordinator of our group had left a message for me about something which I missed - happened to run into her on my way to whatever it was that had been changed and she got me to the correct area after checking my cabin number since she had left a message. When I got back, I looked closely at the phone, and on the screen there was something indicating a message, but there was no blinking light to indicate one. Had the coordinator not said she left a message for me, I wouldn't have even known to look at the phone.

Not saying this is true on all ships - I may even have had a bad phone - but unless they looked at the phone each time they were in the cabin, the possibility exists that there was a message left and they were not aware of it.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that the ship shouldn't have also left a written message at the door to contact guest services. I was just sharing my experience that in my experience if only a phone message was left for them to contact guest services it could have been overlooked.

I think in an emergency perhaps both written and phone should be used, especially if my phone not making it obvious I had a message on the Radiance is the rule rather than the exception.

Now, when I am on a cruise I certainly can, and have taken my phone out every few days to check emails when we are in a port with free wifi. (no free minutes for me) However, if I need to be reached quickly, I would love to know that there is a reliable way for that to happen that is not related to my cell phone. Seems simple enough.

Point is, reaching the ship is not reliable. email and phone are more reliable, and best case, have all three options available. I don't think 'research' is going to yield any better answers.

Point is, reaching the ship is not reliable. email and phone are more reliable, and best case, have all three options available. I don't think 'research' is going to yield any better answers.

And that is my point, I can't imagine why there can't be a reliable way to reach someone on a ship by means other than their cell phone. Again, I understand why folks wouldn't want to bother to find another way. It is worth it to me to spend a bit of time on it.

Have a good day!