Nieuw Amsterdam Review: Last of the Winter/Spring Season

Saphire

We just returned from a great trip on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Our travels began by visiting family in New Orleans. We then flew to Miami, and took a town car from Larry's Limo to FLL Hyatt Place. The driver from Larry's was great (Michael). We arrived in less than 45 minutes. Hyatt Place told us they had one room left, it was a Handicapped room. That was fine, but I was surprised by the funky layout and odd things about it. For instance, no light in the large shower stall, it was very dark. Anyway, we were happy to be there and everything worked. Breakfast that morning was fine, and we took their shuttle to the Pier. HAL was the last stop out of four.

Embarkation was typically well organized and friendly. We boarded by Noon, dropped off the carryons, signed up for the Spa pass, and went down to lunch in the MDR. YAY - they were still offering it! We sat by the aft window and enjoyed a really wonderful, relaxing lunch. The fried chicken with potatoes and kale was outstanding, as was the peanut butter silk pie.

We met our lead steward (Yanto) that afternoon. He repeated our names, perhaps imprinting them to memory. From that time forward, each time he saw us, he called us by name. Now I know this is a common occurrence, but I am still impressed. 30 rooms/names each and every week? Unbelievable. They were a great team, no complaints, we couldn't ask for more.

Our stateroom was up on the Panorama Deck, we had purchased a VF guarantee and were assigned to a cabin in the clouds up on Deck 10. This was just fine for a few reasons. We had the Spa pass, which meant we could move back and forth from the Spa very easily, and that we did. It was also really quiet. We did not notice any vibration or ship movement at all, except for our trip back to FLL. We were very happy with this location, and didn't really miss the lack of square footage of the balcony.

Half Moon Cay remains our very favorite stop of all. We spent lots of time in the pristine water. Coming from Boston, the temperature is balmy and perfect. Frozen Rum Runners at the smaller bar were delicious. Speaking to a steward from Bali as we ate lunch was delightful.

The food on the Nieuw Amsterdam was very good. We had lots of fish: scarlet snapper, halibut, shrimp, lobster, salmon. Canaletto was delicious, try the braised ribs and gnocchi. Loved the service here. The Pinnacle was good but not great, the filet wasn't as good as last time we cruised. The Tamarind was wonderful, I had lamb and my husband had shrimp but asked for spicy...well they mean it, beware! Breakfast is just superb, anything you could ask for.

The MDR was a really nice experience. The timing of courses worked well, the food was excellent, great service from the steward (thanks, Sam!) and wine steward.

We just loved the BB King Blues Band this time. Last year I wasn't so impressed, but new year new ship made the difference. They were really good. Adagio was also very enjoyable.

While I have absolutely no complaints of the NA staff, service or food, I was dismayed by some of the customers. There were several times at Adagio that people were rude, talking loud and being disrespectful of the venue. Also, while in the thermal suite, people were gabbing, talking loudly...this happened several times. After that, I noticed a sign by the door, stating that voices should be kept low, to enhance the experience of the suite. My other problem was babies and children in the pool/hot tubs. The Lido pool can certainly accommodate children, but diapered babies should not be in the pool, and little ones should not be in the hot tubs. These rules were broken repeatedly, and no one took charge. The aft pool had much stricter patrolling. No drinks anywhere near the pool as stewards reminded people continually, and the smokers could not inch away from their covered section without being stopped. All this was fine, but there needed to be that spunky supervision over at the Lido pool. I addressed the pool issue in my survey.

Our 8th HAL cruise was delightful, and we hope to have another opportunity to sail again next year. The classic ship design, attentive service and elegant vibe keep us coming back. Thank you, HAL!

Edited by Saphire

Hello,

Thank you for your review. I just have a few questions. Was Tamarind open for lunch? If so how much did they charge? What were the shows? Did you enjoy them? Do they have a self service laundry on the ship? Thanks for any help.

Andrea

What a wonderfully written review ! Thanks for your recent observations about service, food, entertainment and the diapered babies in pools issue. NA is a wonderful ship and I really appreciate the New York theme. Design wise she looks sleeker with the many Northern European influenced furnishings. I recently returned from a Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise (Mar. 7th) that was decidedly the best HAL cruise I've experienced in years. It wasn't perfect (nothing really is anymore on "mass market" cruise lines), but it was a strong 8 out of 10. BB King Blues Band rocked the Queens Lounge, Adagio was enjoyable, but my favorite music was from The Band in the Ocean Bar.

Hello,

Thank you for your review. I just have a few questions. Was Tamarind open for lunch? If so how much did they charge? What were the shows? Did you enjoy them? Do they have a self service laundry on the ship? Thanks for any help.

Andrea

No, Tamarind was not open for lunch, unfortunately. This has been a recent change.

We saw a comedian who wasn't very good, but they change out quite frequently. There weren't any typical 'shows' (perhaps because it was the last cruise of the season?) They pulled together the various music groups onboard a few nights, the comedian was two nights, and we didn't see the magician. I am sure the next season will have new shows and performers.

No self laundry on the ship. We did use the unlimited laundry service for the week for $49. Since we had traveled before boarding, this was a great service to us, and the ship's laundry does a wonderful job. Everything comes back clean, pressed on hangers or folded.

Edited by Saphire

Yes we agree- this was a great cruise. And of course, nothing is ever perfect- but overall there was much more good than bad. The kids in the Lido pool were probably my only "grrr moment!" I like kids, but because this was a spring break timing cruise, there were more HAL kids than usual. I wish the HAL staff would have controlled the constant jumping by the kids into the pool. This was not an occasional jump- it was over and over and over. I stayed for it on one afternoon, but on my second attempt- it started to bother me and I did what any smart cruiser would do- I went to my own area, the aft pool- where there was no jumping! :) That said, I love the Lido area and I was still bummed I had to retreat. Plus, one afternoon someone pooped in the Lido pool, so all the kids were allowed in the aft pool. I was torn on this point. It seems it was the right thing to do, afterall, it was a hot sea day and everyone wanted to be in the pools. BUT, also- I found myself thinking- OK kiddos, you pooped in your pool- now you come to abuse ours? Heehee- of course I didn't lodge a complaint, vacationing is often about taking some bad for the greater good. I am sure there was far fewer children on this HAL cruise than on RC or CC. Plus, I might say that otherwise the kids on this cruise were extremely well behaved children- and that is the truth!

Thank you much for your review. We will be on the NA next month. It is nice to read reviews within a month of sailing on that same ship. It's our first time on this ship and the more we know about the ship the better our cruise is.

Diane

Our fav ship!!! Did inaugural and 3 other Med cruises on her!

We will be on her sister ship Eurodam for our 5th med cruise in Oct.

The Nieuw is not doing Europe this year! Found out on her last March 2015 when we booked our cruise while doing the Carribean.

Denise:)

Hello,

Andrea

Hi Andrea, I can answer this question for the OP. I was on New A in February for two weeks, and there are two production shows on the ship. Both were new as of April 2015. The first is a medley of classic and recent pop hits. The second has a circus side-show theme. Both were excellent, and the former included live music from The Band and the latter featured some nifty acrobatics. I thought both shows were as good as anyone can expect on a cruise, and both were substantially better than other shows I have seen on HAL. Sadly, I cannot remember the names of either at the moment. I will post them after I review the On Locations I have at home.

Hi Andrea, I can answer this question for the OP. I was on New A in February for two weeks, and there are two production shows on the ship. Both were new as of April 2015. The first is a medley of classic and recent pop hits. The second has a circus side-show theme. Both were excellent, and the former included live music from The Band and the latter featured some nifty acrobatics. I thought both shows were as good as anyone can expect on a cruise, and both were substantially better than other shows I have seen on HAL. Sadly, I cannot remember the names of either at the moment. I will post them after I review the On Locations I have at home.

The name of the medley show is "On Tour" and the circus show is "Marquee."

Plus, one afternoon someone pooped in the Lido pool, so all the kids were allowed in the aft pool. I was torn on this point. It seems it was the right thing to do, after all, it was a hot sea day and everyone wanted to be in the pools. BUT, also- I found myself thinking- OK kiddos, you pooped in your pool- now you come to abuse ours? Plus, I might say that otherwise the kids on this cruise were extremely well behaved children- and that is the truth!

Please do not blame the kids as it was a elderly man that had the problem. You are very correct in that the children were very well behaved.

D:)

Thanks for the information John. We saw a couple of good shows on the Noordam last November. I am glad to see that they are putting an effort into the entertainment. Some of the shows were so good we had to wait to the second show to get a good seat. Anyway, can't wait, only 2 weeks now.

Andrea

Please do not blame the kids as it was a elderly man that had the problem. You are very correct in that the children were very well behaved.

D:)

I guess that could be a problem when there are a lot of old farts onboard. LOL