If you could only afford a suite once....

jabrown40

We're getting ready to book the Sky suite for a TA. Just wanted to confirm a couple of things as different places seem to give different answers. What's the difference between Sky 1 & 2? Do both have access to Michaels Club? Do you get the free drinks in Michaels if booked in Sky?

thanks

We're getting ready to book the Sky suite for a TA. Just wanted to confirm a couple of things as different places seem to give different answers. What's the difference between Sky 1 & 2? Do both have access to Michaels Club? Do you get the free drinks in Michaels if booked in Sky?

thanks

We were in 6135 on Millie last Fall that was a Sky 1, which is better than a 2, not sure why, never seen inside a 2.

I don't think we had the free stuff at Michaels or even the use of it. Things may have changed.

my last cruise was in a royal suite, this next one is in a celebrity suite. I didn't really see the point of the 6 person table. While the space was nice, I didn't really use it, but my wife sleeps in and I always get up really early so I like having a space that I can go read or watch tv in the other room while she sleeps in.

So you can go back, of course I haven't actually done the cruise in the CS suite yet, so I guess we will see :)

my last cruise was in a royal suite, this next one is in a celebrity suite. I didn't really see the point of the 6 person table. While the space was nice, I didn't really use it, but my wife sleeps in and I always get up really early so I like having a space that I can go read or watch tv in the other room while she sleeps in.

So you can go back, of course I haven't actually done the cruise in the CS suite yet, so I guess we will see :)

You will really like the Celebrity Suite- the price compared to the Royal Suite is significantly less. You do get on the M class ships a dining table for four- but on the Solstice class no in suite dining table. You have large counters and coffee tables for food and of course the balcony table. We loved our Silly CS and loved our CS on the M class ships.

Also, we liked the idea on the S class ship you can access the bathroom via the bedroom or living room.

We mostly stay in Sky Suites . While they do not have a bedroom that is apart from the living room, the price is significantly less- Saving the CS for very special cruises or when we get a wonderful deal to upgrade.

thanks

Location and view are the only differences that I know of. As of 1/1/16 all suites, now including any Sky level, have access to Michaels and all drinks there are free.

It really depends on which class of ship you are on.

The M-class CS are really nice [although I preferred them before the balcony was added]. We find the tables useful even if you never sit at them for a meal.

On the S-class ships, if your wife is disturbed by the light while she sleeps in, you may not find the CS works for you. The bedroom walls are frosted glass which do not keep out the light. In my opinion, they have also put too much large furniture in them so there is not much space to move around in.

On the S-class ships, if your wife is disturbed by the light while she sleeps in, you may not find the CS works for you. The bedroom walls are frosted glass which do not keep out the light.....

It would cost them very little to add room-darkening shades or curtains that could be drawn to block out the light.

I believe the reason for putting those frosted glass windows on the S-class ships was that some people were complaining about having no window in the CS bedroom on the M-class ships.

Whichever way they did it, someone would be unhappy.

We may be among the minority, but we really like the Celebrity Suites.

They provide more space and storage than we need for only 2 people.

We like having the separate bedroom that can be closed off, that huge expanse of windows in the living room, and we do enjoy the balcony that was added on the M-class ships and make good use of it.

Edited by fleckle

Just a word of warning: upgrading your accommodation for "just one cruise" does not always work [you may find a suite "essential" for all future cruises]:D

I have to agree! The one thing I will not do again is book a suite when traveling with others who are not is a suite - you just don't take/get full advantage of the perks unless you do things without your travel companions

I'm still holding off. I would love to do the sky suite on the 12 night cruise, to be able to envoy Luminae or possibly Blu on a trip with so many dinners. However, it's an entire extra vacation. Since there isn't any great promotion since we're so far out(just go Big) I'm going to see what happens .

I'm still holding off. I would love to do the sky suite on the 12 night cruise, to be able to envoy Luminae or possibly Blu on a trip with so many dinners. However, it's an entire extra vacation. Since there isn't any great promotion since we're so far out(just go Big) I'm going to see what happens .

With sincere best wishes that the upgrade fairy may make you a call!

I would not upgrade to a suite. I took an upsell to a suite once and a mere balcony was never the same. Luminae is wonderful. Afternoon coffee is wonderful. Having a butler us wonderful. Michaels was wonderful. You get the picture. We thought that only having 1 sea day in a 13 day cruise would be a disadvantage but not so. We still loved the suite. Get a full suite not a Sky Suite.

It really depends on which class of ship you are on.

The M-class CS are really nice [although I preferred them before the balcony was added]. We find the tables useful even if you never sit at them for a meal.

On the S-class ships, if your wife is disturbed by the light while she sleeps in, you may not find the CS works for you. The bedroom walls are frosted glass which do not keep out the light. In my opinion, they have also put too much large furniture in them so there is not much space to move around in.

yes, she wears a sleep mask so i'm good on that point, but it's a problem for me since the sun will wake me up, and it's an alaska cruise, so i'm pretty sure the sun will be up early.

also the reason for suites, is i usually get one vacation every 1-2 years so i make it a good one... if i could get more time off i really would be fine in a smaller room.. but if i'm only going to get one vacation for this year, it better be amazing

Edited by guy999

The best thing to do regarding a suite is check the rates on the Celebrity web site daily beginning two weeks before your cruise. We were on the list to be called if a suite became available and we weren't-fortunately I checked myself and got a great deal. While we would prefer a CS, but a sky suite is wonderful! You have a much larger cabin- a beautiful bathroom and plenty of storage. In addition you get all of the perks the "bigger" suites get. Entrance to Michael's, many things priority and access to Luminae

If you get a good deal- a real bargain especially for a cruise over one week.

Enjoy

Edited by Cruise a holic

I would not upgrade to a suite. I took an upsell to a suite once and a mere balcony was never the same. Luminae is wonderful. Afternoon coffee is wonderful. Having a butler us wonderful. Michaels was wonderful. You get the picture. We thought that only having 1 sea day in a 13 day cruise would be a disadvantage but not so. We still loved the suite. Get a full suite not a Sky Suite.

But didn't you find the toilet paper holder was hard to reach?

• 1 month later...

As it turned out, we cancelled our British Isles cruise, choosing a land trip instead. So, we are now booked in a sky suite for the Eastern Caribbean, can't wait, and still plan to keep it a surprise.

As it turned out, we cancelled our British Isles cruise, choosing a land trip instead. So, we are now booked in a sky suite for the Eastern Caribbean, can't wait, and still plan to keep it a surprise.

Thanks for the update! Nice to know what people finally decide to do.

Enjoy your land trip (British Isles?) and your future cruise!

Just a word of warning: upgrading your accommodation for "just one cruise" does not always work [you may find a suite "essential" for all future cruises]:D

We couldn't agree more! Celebrity upgraded as from an AQ to a Sky Suite for no charge last summer. It completely ruined us - LOL! Our minimum booking "was" an OV and now it "is" a Sky Suite.

Mind you, we are both still working and as the OP also mentioned in one of her replies, we only receive a certain amount of vacation time; therefore when we go away - we do like to indulge a wee bit. That "might" change once we retire! But for now, we have tasted the "suite" ness and we love it.

Back to the OP's original question, if I could afford the longer cruise (even though more port intensive), that's the one that I would be going for (additional days of suite-ness). We had a very port intensive cruise (8 days out of 10) this past May. Port intensive or not, our Suite was enjoyed very, very, very, very, much!

Heather

A passenger completely ruined by X with a complimentary upgrade to a Suite

IMG_0941-M.jpg

Just read this after replying to your original post.

Congratulations on the Sky Suite! Now the most difficult part will keeping it as a surprise ;-)

Heather

We couldn't agree more! Celebrity upgraded as from an AQ to a Sky Suite for no charge last summer. It completely ruined us - LOL! Our minimum booking "was" an OV and now it "is" a Sky Suite.

Mind you, we are both still working and as the OP also mentioned in one of her replies, we only receive a certain amount of vacation time; therefore when we go away - we do like to indulge a wee bit. That "might" change once we retire! But for now, we have tasted the "suite" ness and we love it.

Back to the OP's original question, if I could afford the longer cruise (even though more port intensive), that's the one that I would be going for (additional days of suite-ness). We had a very port intensive cruise (8 days out of 10) this past May. Port intensive or not, our Suite was enjoyed very, very, very, very, much!

Heather

A passenger completely ruined by X with a complimentary upgrade to a Suite

IMG_0941-M.jpg

For those of you thinking this is a photo of a sky suite balcony, it's not. It's the penthouse balcony on an M class ship. Two very different cabins.

I loved being upgraded to an S1 on the Eclipsed, especially for only $300 total in Europe. I have another one booked for Europe too. Yes, it does change things a bit[emoji844]ImageUploadedByForums1464967579.565195.jpg.77a71ec8614eb4105941d0947ff1e07a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ForumsImageUploadedByForums1464968054.635451.jpg.8134b853c291c8c9c4d0a033d60513d8.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1464967826.070211.jpg.5c0164122af20a403a64b45a96d3b348.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1464967886.850720.jpg.a93ea8a6f320620a7a1334e663714f84.jpg

Edited by Lastdance

For those of you thinking this is a photo of a sky suite balcony, it's not. It's the penthouse balcony on an M class ship. Two very different cabins.

Indeed! thanks for pointing out my oopsie blip for posting that photo to this thread.

Here is a link to a photo gallery of a Sky Suite 2 from S-Class: Equinox 2126

This is the room that ruined it for us (i.e., we have booked Suites from this sailing forward).

Celebrity did their job and did it well (upgrading us from AQ to Suite) and the rest is history ...

Heather