Divina to Bermuda review plus your questions answered

LMaxwell

Thanks for your review.

I came specifically to this board to see if I could find out more info about MSC. I am looking to book for Christmas/NYE 2016 and we usually book Carnival for price. Came across the MSC website quite by accident, as I was not familiar with this line, but glad I found it, and priced them out. Not much more than Carnival. I am intrigued and really considering booking MSC just for the change.

A few questions...

1. The balcony deal..is that the upgrade for $99?? I also read somewhere there was a 2 for 1 balcony sale...likely not for the time I am sailing though:(

2. Can you really match your loyalty from another line to MSC?

3. The drink coupons mentioned...are they sold in certain increments?

If I think of more questions I will post them.

Thanks

Thanks for your review.

I came specifically to this board to see if I could find out more info about MSC. I am looking to book for Christmas/NYE 2016 and we usually book Carnival for price. Came across the MSC website quite by accident, as I was not familiar with this line, but glad I found it, and priced them out. Not much more than Carnival. I am intrigued and really considering booking MSC just for the change.

A few questions...

1. The balcony deal..is that the upgrade for $99?? I also read somewhere there was a 2 for 1 balcony sale...likely not for the time I am sailing though:(

2. Can you really match your loyalty from another line to MSC?

3. The drink coupons mentioned...are they sold in certain increments?

If I think of more questions I will post them.

Thanks

Nissach,,here is MSC's current offer: https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Cruise-Deals/Top-Deals/all-inclusive-cruise-deals.aspx

Yes,,you can match the status of your current loyalty club:https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Loyalty-Match-Program.aspx

The drink coupons are sold in booklets of 12 or 18 and not everyone in the same stateroom need to purchase them. :)

Nissach,,here is MSC's current offer: https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Cruise-Deals/Top-Deals/all-inclusive-cruise-deals.aspx

Yes,,you can match the status of your current loyalty club:https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Loyalty-Match-Program.aspx

The drink coupons are sold in booklets of 12 or 18 and not everyone in the same stateroom need to purchase them. :)

Thanks....for the photocopy of membership, is that just a copy of my most recent sign and sale card from Carnival?

This review will be about the ship, services, food, entertainment and my personal experiences. I also had another thread where I fielded questions and so will touch on those at the top.

Was this itinerary a one off? I'm interested in cruising to Bermuda but haven't found future MSC options going there.

LMawell: Do you remember what day you received your compliementary wine and what day and time was the black level get together with the officers..thanks

I believe we received a bottle of champagne on day two, and there was a welcome back party.

On day 5 I believe, if I remember right, we got a second bottle of champagne and that was the black card party as well.

It was indeed a one off itinerary so not sure if regular caribbean itineraries would be different days.

On ours last week we got first fizz and sparkling I think Monday and the black party was 5pm on the Wednesday, we didn't go as was having an afternoon snooze and slept through sadly!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For those of you on this thread and those who have sailed Carnival...I am just wondering what you may have found better, the same, and worse on MSC vs. any of your Carnival cruises overall?

We love Carnival and their price point, but I am always looking to try something new and different.

I love the atmosphere on Carnival cruises, relaxed and casual.

We always cruise over the holidays so the ships are packed with kids, so is MCS similar since they have a kids sail free offer?

Thanks!:)

For those of you on this thread and those who have sailed Carnival...I am just wondering what you may have found better, the same, and worse on MSC vs. any of your Carnival cruises overall?

We love Carnival and their price point, but I am always looking to try something new and different.

We always cruise over the holidays so the ships are packed with kids, so is MCS similar since they have a kids sail free offer?

MSC is more sophisticated than Carnival. You won't have a dj on deck blasting music,,no hairy chest contests,,no servers walking around with trays of drink of the day to sell,,and very few announcements during the day. We feel MSC is the perfect cruise line for where we are in our lives!!!:)

The Divina is a far more beautiful and refined atmosphere than any Carnival ship. The cleanliness and maintenance is like absolute night and day. The buffet on Divina blows away Carnival; there is no comparison. MDR's about equal. Carnival is more "fun" (not really my type of fun); maybe nightlife on Carnival goes later. MSC is more refined.

Think of Carnival like a neighborhood sports bar and MSC is more like a cocktail lounge (that is priced more like a neighborhood sports bar)

MSC is more sophisticated than Carnival. You won't have a dj on deck blasting music,,no hairy chest contests,,no servers walking around with trays of drink of the day to sell,,and very few announcements during the day. We feel MSC is the perfect cruise line for where we are in our lives!!!:)

I can do without the things you mentioned especially those announcements!

What are the shows like...on Carnival they are quite poor IMO, we usually skip them?

Do they have decks/areas that are 'adults only'?

The Divina is a far more beautiful and refined atmosphere than any Carnival ship. The cleanliness and maintenance is like absolute night and day. The buffet on Divina blows away Carnival; there is no comparison. MDR's about equal. Carnival is more "fun" (not really my type of fun); maybe nightlife on Carnival goes later. MSC is more refined.

Think of Carnival like a neighborhood sports bar and MSC is more like a cocktail lounge (that is priced more like a neighborhood sports bar)

I agree on the 'fun', not usually my kind of fun, as Mikeas1721 listed. As for the later into the night fun, I am already in bed!

I just want to make sure that it still is a casual atmosphere for dress code and activities. I want my cruises to be relaxed and we don't enjoy 'dressing up' except for formal nights and even then we are not as dressed up as some.

I agree on the 'fun', not usually my kind of fun, as Mikeas1721 listed. As for the later into the night fun, I am already in bed!

I just want to make sure that it still is a casual atmosphere for dress code and activities. I want my cruises to be relaxed and we don't enjoy 'dressing up' except for formal nights and even then we are not as dressed up as some.

You can be as casual or as dressed up as you want to be onboard MSC. There is a dress code for the dining rooms after 6:00pm however. Here's a recent video I found that will give a glimpse of life onboard MSC Divina:

[YOUTUBE]o0ugxJQrf60[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Mikesa1721

It was "beach club casual"; on formal nights I just wore tan pants, polo shirt, and a sport jacket and I was solid mid pack. Some dressed up, some didn't. If you like polos or tommy bahama shirts and comfortable, clean clothes you are fine.

Here is the entertainment schedule from our cruise in the main theater. Shows are 30-40 minutes. No pre scheduling needed. Shows are in conjunction with dining times and NO RUSH needed. Different show each night.

Night one was a show called Swing. Featured the vocal artists singing Van Morrison, Beatles, Frank Sinatra etc.

Night two The Amazing Mask based off the Jim Carrey movie. Great costumes, acrobats, singing and dancing

Night three a show called The Voices. Did not go.

Night four Witches of Paris. Singing acrobats dancers

Night five Simply Italian.

Night six Treasure Island. More thrilling acrobats and stunts. Awesome costumes.

Also this day in the afternoon they had one performance from LA Traviata. I did not go but many said it was phenomenal.

Night seven. Starwalker. Their tribute to Michael Jackson. WOW can the main performer dance. Lots of fun.

There was live music being played every evening in 6 or 7 areas of the ship (they rotate the performers among a handful of them for some variety).

Movies and concerts on the pool deck each evening. Concerts during the day. Volumes MUCH lower than Carnival (re: enjoyable).

Deck 15 aft has the garden bar and infinity pool; not sure if it adults only but was quieter than the main pool area except at sailaway they did have a DJ out there. Deck 16 aft has an adults only sun lounge / hot tub area. Deck 18 is the outdoor solarium in a pay to use area. Never used it, can't say if it is quiet or not during the day, but it is open at night and has a hot tub and plenty of space as well. Honestly, I never had any trouble finding a lounge chair anywhere on the ship. There are lots of areas to be so unless you MUST be in a lounge chair next to the main pool, you won't have an issue. We were not in yacht club and did not have access to those private areas.

A few pages back in the review is a list of secondary entertainment and the movies and concerts.

Thanks Mikeas1721 and LMaxwell for all your feedback! I think MSC would be perfect option for us as cruisers.

Now I just have to decide between cruising the Divina on December 30 out of Miami or the Carnival Conquest out of Ft. Lauderdale on December 31. Both port in San Juan and Turks and Caicos, Conquest also ports in St. Thomas and Amber Cove, Divina also ports in Bahamas.

I like the Conquest for the ports, never been to 3 of them, and never been on the Conquest; always like new ports and new ships.

However, MSC is a totally new line so everything about it would be new!

Another question, are we allowed to bring bottles of wine at embarkation with MSC? Do they allow any alcohol brought back onboard in ports or do they also take it away until disembarkation?

You can be as casual or as dressed up as you want to be onboard MSC. There is a dress code for the dining rooms after 6:00pm however. Here's a recent video I found that will give a glimpse of life onboard MSC Divina:

Cool video. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Mikeas1721 and LMaxwell for all your feedback! I think MSC would be perfect option for us as cruisers.

Now I just have to decide between cruising the Divina on December 30 out of Miami or the Carnival Conquest out of Ft. Lauderdale on December 31. Both port in San Juan and Turks and Caicos, Conquest also ports in St. Thomas and Amber Cove, Divina also ports in Bahamas.

I like the Conquest for the ports, never been to 3 of them, and never been on the Conquest; always like new ports and new ships.

Another question, are we allowed to bring bottles of wine at embarkation with MSC? Do they allow any alcohol brought back onboard in ports or do they also take it away until disembarkation?

No wine allowed when you board.

[YOUTUBE]o0ugxJQrf60[/YOUTUBE]

Mike there doesnt seem to be much of a dress code anymore, there were shorts in the MDR every night except on gala night. The man right in front of us was wearing shorts and a baseball cap and he asked if it was ok and was told YES!!!

We would take the Divina anytime over the Conquest. IMO.