Breaking News - C&A Changes/Enhancements

If you make it a SL then it should be a SL.

And probably very empty over 3 1/2 hours! I have noticed that many suite guests are in and out of the lounge quite quickly, usually to pick up a quick drink and bit of food. Many have children with them. Think about it... you have a suite, why would you want to stay in a lounge (often dark and somewhat depressing).

Designating a lounge for suite guests alone on the older ships would be a waste of space and resources.

Edited by yogimax

WOW :eek:....I'm a D+ and feel this is entirely unfair to those (D's) that have been loyal to Royal and the C&A program....Keep your specialty coffee..hoping with this attitude you xxxxx on it :mad:

Hmm, I was kinda thinking the same thing. We're a couple of those lowly Diamonds[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And probably very empty over 3 1/2 hours! I have noticed that many suite guests are in and out of the lounge quite quickly, usually to pick up a quick drink and bit of food. Many have children with them. Think about it... you have a suite, why would you want to stay in a lounge (often dark and somewhat depressing).

Designating a lounge for suite guests alone on the older ships would be a waste of space and resources.

I don't think so. A true SL would cater to just those guests with an inviting space and extra services. You should think about more changing than just the sign on the door.

Maybe it is the type of cruises that I do, but generally the CL has been jammed and noisy - usually with at least 1 large crowd with their chairs pulled into a circle every night and the concierge's attention drawn to a smallish group of people that seem to need a lot of attention.

That "closed" atmosphere isn't very conducive for the suite guests to stay.

The atmosphere in the lounge should change if you really want to cater to the crowd that ponies up the bigger $ on THAT sailing.

No, we book GS to get lounge access, once we hit diamond our plan was to book some JS when GSs were overpriced.

Ie we hit Diamond next cruise, so the cruise after that we have a JS booked because GS was overpriced but the next two cruises after that we have GS and RFS booked because the price was fair.

If they take lounge away for Diamond id have to cancel some JS bookings.

Somehow I couldn't justify the price difference between a JS and a GS (which is often significant) over a piece of cheese and someone to talk to. This is my opinion only.

Actually, I think the suite/concierge/diamond lounges are somewhat of a waste of space, even on the newer ships. They always seem to be pretty empty, except for the 3-4 hours a day that are cocktail hours. Other than that, you rarely see more than a couple other people, if you pop in.

I enjoy having the lounges, but I do find it a bit wasteful, at times, to see such beautiful spaces not really being used. That said, some of the spaces were converted from being things like card lounges, that were open to all passengers, but weren't really used all that much, either.

Kathy(ph8), That guy:)John(RC), LT, or Tagsalong....

Hi to all!:D

Is there any mention that you have seen or heard about more C&A levels being added, or points to acquire levels changing, or way of receiving points changing?

Thanks,

Kay

LT says he can neither confirm nor deny any allegations of that nature.

Kathy(ph8), That guy:)John(RC), LT, or Tagsalong....

Hi to all!:D

Is there any mention that you have seen or heard about more C&A levels being added, or points to acquire levels changing, or way of receiving points changing?

Thanks,

Kay

I was told that there would be no changes to the tiers or points system. Or maybe I should say that the stripes have not been told of any changes!

That "closed" atmosphere isn't very conducive for the suite guests to stay.

That's not it. The reason suite guests don't stay is because they have suites. Have you been in the CLs on Voyager Class ships. They are dark, depressing and often smell of old leather. Why stay there if you can enjoy lounging in your suite.

As I also mentioned, many suite guests have children. Think about it. Does a ten year old want to stay in a dark and depressing place when there is so much more to do?

No, designating the old CLs for suite guests only would be a real mistake. The lounges, as well as the concierge, would be underutilized and bad feelings would be engendered from the Ps and D+s. Not a good idea!

Somehow I couldn't justify the price difference between a JS and a GS (which is often significant) over a piece of cheese and someone to talk to. This is my opinion only.

That's why we book GS only when price is close to JS. When its drastic we don't book at all because we were not Diamond. Now that Diamond hits next cruise I will be booking more JS

That's not it. The reason suite guests don't stay is because they have suites. Have you been in the CLs on Voyager Class ships. They are dark, depressing and often smell of old leather. Why stay there if you can enjoy lounging in your suite.

As I also mentioned, many suite guests have children. Think about it. Does a ten year old want to stay in a dark and depressing place when there is so much more to do?

No, designating the old CLs for suite guests only would be a real mistake. The lounges, as well as the concierge, would be underutilized and bad feelings would be engendered from the Ps and D+s. Not a good idea!

You missed a key point. The spaces need to be rethought and redecorated (maybe relocated) along with added services that would make them more appealing. Just changing the sign and entry requirements won't do it. Think NCL's haven area on steroids.

It's obvious from the tone of the "bar" letter that was pulled yesterday that there is at least some discussions about higher tiers just not spending enough money on board anymore. Heck, you always read about folks here just traveling in the cheap cabins and not spending a dime on board. I'm not knocking cheap cabins - everyone has a budget - but for some it is just gaming the system because they can.

My vote: if you are going to change the loyalty system just go ahead and do it - but do it right and do it all at once. Fix ALL the problems that you can at one time (including the inherited status issues). Quit picking at the bandage. Take your PR lumps at one time and move on!

You missed a key point. The spaces need to be rethought and redecorated (maybe relocated) along with added services that would make them more appealing. Just changing the sign and entry requirements won't do it. Think NCL's haven area on steroids.

It's obvious from the tone of the "bar" letter that was pulled yesterday that there is at least some discussions about higher tiers just not spending enough money on board anymore. Heck, you always read about folks here just traveling in the cheap cabins and not spending a dime on board. I'm not knocking cheap cabins - everyone has a budget - but for some it is just gaming the system because they can.

My vote: if you are going to change the loyalty system just go ahead and do it - but do it right and do it all at once. Fix ALL the problems that you can at one time (including the inherited status issues). Quit picking at the bandage. Take your PR lumps at one time and move on!

I agree suites need their own lounge but no one that has booked under Royals terms and conditions has gamed the system at all. They have made use of the benefits Royal has said they are entitled to. Taking maximum advantage of an offer is not gaming the system. It's playing by the rules. Gaming the system implies deception to get more than one is entitled to. Guests don't make the rules. Royal does. Royal is becoming a victim of its own successful program and one could say offers of recent years like diamonds in December or even this year bonus points in certain ships is Royal gaming it's clients by offering an inducement to book when they know they are going to move the goal posts and reduce the value of those inducements

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

Disappointment, does not begin to describe how I feel about the loss of the CL on Radiance class ships. The bar area was a fun place to hang out and meet fellow cruisers, even having to stand for a few minutes before 5:30 dinner seating You didn't have to argue with bar service about what drinks were available. We spent 25 nights with 'Chef' our bartender on Serenade last year. Vouchers in any other bar are not the same.

The Diamond Club on Radiance class is half the size of the CL and has no outdoor seating. There's going to be lots of very unhappy loyal cruisers if they don't open the VCL for overflow.

If it's going to be a suite lounge then that's all it should be.

If it truly is all about the numbers then why didn't RCI redesign the space to expand and contract with the numbers for that sailing? I expect the SL will be empty most of the time because there simply aren't enough suites on Radiance class to fill the room. Last time we were on Liberty, most nights there was no one in the CL after 6.

Angry customer. :mad:

Disappointment, does not begin to describe how I feel about the loss of the CL on Radiance class ships. The bar area was a fun place to hang out and meet fellow cruisers, even having to stand for a few minutes before 5:30 dinner seating You didn't have to argue with bar service about what drinks were available. We spent 25 nights with 'Chef' our bartender on Serenade last year. Vouchers in any other bar are not the same.

The Diamond Club on Radiance class is half the size of the CL and has no outdoor seating. There's going to be lots of very unhappy loyal cruisers if they don't open the VCL for overflow.

If it truly is all about the numbers then why didn't RCI redesign the space to expand and contract with the numbers for that sailing? I expect the SL will be empty most of the time because there simply aren't enough suites on Radiance class to fill the room. Last time we were on Liberty, most nights there was no one in the CL after 6.

We were on Serenade in February and thought the CL was great. It was only full 1 or two nights but with the Diamond Lounge basically next door and the overflow into the VC, it was very nice too. In fact, it seemed most folks (D+ and P's) preferred it to the CL. :)

On, or around, May 1, Royal Caribbean will announce and/or implement the changes in the Crown and Anchor program.

No more Welcome Back (repeaters) Party on any ship. The Trials with this, on two ships back in February (?), was considered a success. Top Tier will continue.

Meal with an Officer will be for D+ (340) only and Pinnacles will have a meal at the Captain's Table or Specialty Rest. with the Capt. or HD.

No change in Tiers or Points structure.

Some other benefits for D+ and Pinnacles that I could not get the precise details.

All ships were notified two days ago so that they could prepare for the changes.

Sorry, but I will not reveal my source. Believe it or not. I'm still trying to find additional details, but combine this info with that from CruisenGrandmom

on Liberty and I think the CL-->SL on all ships is imminent.

We sailed Liberty first week of April and there was no welcome back party then either

There is something to be considered besides just dollars per cruise spent. Also a cruise line is smart to consider cruises per year taken. Some of us are not just loyal customers from the past but very loyal in the future. I currently have 20 cruises booked and I personally know of several others that have many more than that booked. When you factor in the marketing cost to get a first time cruiser onboard our repeat dollars that they don't have to work for are more significant. And no, we never travel "inside". Anything from a full suite to an ocean view but never an inside.

Somehow I couldn't justify the price difference between a JS and a GS (which is often significant) over a piece of cheese and someone to talk to.

That's only one small part of the puzzle. We switched years ago from JS to GS. Not just for CL access. MUCH more important to us is the breakfast in Chops, the assisted debarkation and the major difference in real estate - especially the bathroom.

Really with all due respect to Tagsalong this thread should be titled Breaking Rumors instead of Breaking News. Even with a trusted source, nothing is proven until it becomes an official release from Royal. I don't doubt Tagsalong or his/her source but right now this is unofficial and speculation.....Although when I saw Liberty's new deck plans back when we booked and saw not only the physical move but the renaming from Concierge to Suite, I KNEW that change was coming.

What has bugged me is the fact that I can't sail on Celebrity and earn points on RC. What I figured is that Celebrity points are awarded based on nights sailed and cabin class, while RC only awards extra points for booking junior suite and higher.

I'm assuming that some cruise lines have loyalty programs like RC's, and others are like Celebrity. But, with the airlines now going to frequent flyer programs based on mileage and dollars spent, I would assume that some time down the road, RC will modify C&A to include a money spent aspect, such as inside, outside, balcony, junior suite and suite.

When airlines have alliances and codeshares, such that a person belongs to one frequent flyer program and can earn miles on various airlines, it makes no sense that a C&A member can't earn points on various Royal Caribbean Cruises lines.

I think it is nice that they gave parallel status. I think that might have been a mistake though. I think that combining the programs would be a definite mistake. That would really lead to overcrowding in the event lounges on Celebrity and the dedicated lounges on RCI.

As far as airline programs, I prefer the cruise line programs because my status never expires. My points never expire like on most airline programs.

Edited by Charles4515

We also like the CL on Radiance class ships and will miss it as we rarely sail in a full suite and still have some points to go until we reach Pinnacle. We don't go to the CL often but when we do, we arrive about 6:30 or 7 and there are usually many seats available.

Seriously (or unfortunately) I highly doubt that the bean counters care if the D lounge is crowded and folks don't have a place to sit for the FREE benefit. Even better for the bottom line if the passenger uses a voucher or two as consumption is then limited. If the D lounge is too crowded, we can say hi to whoever we hoped to see that evening and simply use a voucher in another bar. In fact, on the Freedom class, we rarely use the CL and the D lounge is often crowded so we make a daily visit to a particular bar. The bartenders remember us, what we like and are very accommodating.

We all realize that the cruise line is generally catering to the suite passenger and the new cruiser and honestly I don't blame them.

M

There is something to be considered besides just dollars per cruise spent. Also a cruise line is smart to consider cruises per year taken. Some of us are not just loyal customers from the past but very loyal in the future. I currently have 20 cruises booked and I personally know of several others that have many more than that booked. When you factor in the marketing cost to get a first time cruiser onboard our repeat dollars that they don't have to work for are more significant. And no, we never travel "inside". Anything from a full suite to an ocean view but never an inside.

Marketing costs are sunk costs. Always have been - always will be. $ spent administering a loyalty program are also quasi marketing sunk costs. Pay less on one - you can pay more for another and remain even. Simple business. Each ship must make a profit each voyage. Period. You either get people to spend more aboard, decrease your expenses or increase your pricing (or any combination).

The suite cabins aren't going to fill themselves - they need to be marketed smartly (no - they just aren't for C&A upgrades). Your smartest marketing is one that produces a buzz to your target audience - not hard to do once you figure out who your target is. But once you do figure out that target you need to deliver on your "buzz". They have the opportunity to do that which, by the way, just may stabilize cabin prices in the other categories.

I think Royal would be missing a golden opportunity to both revitalize their suite program as well as address the C&A monster all at one time.

And for disclosure - I also have never cruised in anything lower than a balcony (well - the Sun Viking had no balcony cabins - but it was an OV). But I'm sure you read the same stuff here that I do. We book +/- 30 days a year because we like the product and will continue to until the product no longer appeals to us.

Can't book full suites anymore since they aren't built out as accessible (which is a crying shame) so I would essentially vote myself out of the SL for life.

Maybe it is the type of cruises that I do, but generally the CL has been jammed and noisy - usually with at least 1 large crowd with their chairs pulled into a circle every night and the concierge's attention drawn to a smallish group of people that seem to need a lot of attention.

Saw it on the Grandeur in March every night prior to early seating dinner. Yep a large group in a circle and getting a lot of attention including from the servers. My husband and I keep to ourselves but it's fun to watch. I guess you can call us steerage people because we've cruised mostly in insides and OVs and an occasional balcony when I get a good deal. Don't judge someone because they book an inside because they may need an accessible cabin which most times are either inside or OV. Believe me I know

Edited by psupa