Eclipse Trans Atlantic skips Bermuda

Swinden

So we are currently in Nassau and the next scheduled port of call WAS going to be Bermuda, but due to a weather system between the Bahamas and Bermuda, the Eclipse will going straight to Lisbon. A port in France has been added to the itinerary.

Good to know that Celebrity had learned from the earlier mishap with an RCI ship sailing into rough seas.

this is a problem with t/a's you pay your money and you take your chance....I realise the captain knows best but I would have been extremely disappointed to have missed Bermuda under normal circumstances.

Missing a port is just as likely on any cruise. I've missed 8 ports on 5 different cruises, with only 2 of them being transatlantics. On my last cruise we had a fire on the ship and missed 3 ports out of 5.

At least it's fairly easy to go to Bermuda compared to many other ports around the world.

this is a problem with t/a's you pay your money and you take your chance....I realise the captain knows best but I would have been extremely disappointed to have missed Bermuda under normal circumstances.

I'm sure the pax are all disappointed to be missing Bermuda, but I'm also sure they be MORE disappointed to arrive but not be able to dock or tender due to rough seas, or go ashore but be in the midst of tropical storm conditions etc. etc.

Going to Normandy area of France is wonderful actually. What a great place to have to end up.

Depends which side of the pond you're from; it's similar to telling you it's been rerouted to Nassau or Falmouth ;). That area of France is virtually on our doorstep, even a regular school trip route for many from the UK, not so with Bermuda. However, saying all that, you take your chances with any cruise for port stops, more so on a TA because of the sailing seasons - it's better to be safe than sorry.

Go-Bucks!,

It's only fairly easy to go to Bermuda if you live pretty close ;). That's like telling you it's fairly easy to get to the Shetlands.

I'm sure those pax onboard understand perfectly why they have been re-routed, but they can still be disappointed to have missed a port they were looking forward to.

It's only fairly easy to go to Bermuda if you live pretty close . That's like telling you it's fairly easy to get to the Shetlands.

I believe Eclipse missed Bermuda on the 'Broadway and Beaches' TA in Oct 2014, due to a hurricane, which had recently hit.

Going to Normandy area of France is wonderful actually. What a great place to have to end up. We've had re-routes on TAs before, it just happens, all a part of cruising.

The big problem will be the lack of available time to book excursions, unless you take one from the ship.

Edited by upwarduk

I would certainly be disappointed; but with the terrible weather they will be having, it would be a lousy tour anyway. Hopefully the Normandy weather is great.

Since we will be on the Eclipse in 3 weeks, I am glad they are keeping our ship safe for our Iceland cruise. :)

We just got off Eclipse on Sunday and had the most beautiful weather in the Caribbean. Our friends are on her now for the TA home to England. She said she was disappointed about Bermuda and they were going to Le Harve. They rocked and rolled last night for a while also.

This just gives them another excuse to come over to our side of the pond soon.

Pat

Checking the seas forecast.. looks like in 72hrs, there will be a core @ 9 meters, about 30 foot swells, north / around Bermuda. But smoother sailing south of that... http://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/waves/viewer.shtml?-gwes-latest-hs-N_atlantic- Have a fun time. We head over to Amsterdam in 12 days for our Silhouette Baltic cruise.

I believe Eclipse missed Bermuda on the 'Broadway and Beaches' TA in Oct 2014, due to a hurricane, which had recently hit

We missed Bermuda on that cruise because of storms over the Atlantic and so we headed down south with a stop in Madeira before going across the pond, to avoid the storm. Arrived 2 days late in New York and so missed the overnight stop in Bermuda. It was at that time that RCI decided to go straight across and got caught by the storm with it's consequences. We all decided on the Eclipse that our Captain had made a very wise decision :).