ANZAC Day

There was a huge turnout for the ANZAC Day service on the pool deck at sunrise on the Explorer of the Seas this morning. Poppies were handed out together with a very well presented order of service. The bugler did a reasonable job, the captain read the Ode and laid a wreath. The whole thing was very tastefully done.

The rain held off, even though it was still a bit windy. Better than yesterday with gale force winds and 6m swells for our first sea day. They might put the barf bags away today!

There was a huge turnout for the ANZAC Day service on the pool deck at sunrise on the Explorer of the Seas this morning. Poppies were handed out together with a very well presented order of service. The bugler did a reasonable job, the captain read the Ode and laid a wreath. The whole thing was very tastefully done.

The rain held off, even though it was still a bit windy. Better than yesterday with gale force winds and 6m swells for our first sea day. They might put the barf bags away today!

That sounds wonderful. It reminds me of my best Anzac Day at sea and one of my favourite memories. We were cruising through the Dardanelles and past Gallipoli on the way to Istanbul. The cruise director organised a wonderful service of the pool deck. I still get chills thinking of it. Just as we passed the Martyrs' Memorial a pod of Dolphins surfaced and followed the ship. I sear I could feel the sorrow and anguish in that place.

2 of our oldest grandchildren are in Army Cadets and have already marched in the Dawn Parade and my husband has just picked them up to go to assemble for the main parade in Mackay. He will be marching as a former RAN submariner and we will watch the kids paying tribute to family members who served in WW2. Matty is wearing his Great Grandfathers medals and Kayla her Great, Great Uncles medals when they march today.

Lest We Forget

Our middle son is in the Aussie army and is currently deployed in a rat hole country over seas fighting the bad guys who continue to threaten the free world way of life,

today in Melbourne for ANZAC day we have a beautiful sunny day, its a great day to be alive and to look up at lovely blue sky and feel the warmth of the sun while we remember our brave Aussie soldiers who gave their lives to keep the world free, so we can enjoying cruising.

I'm pleased that so many younger Australians nowadays show an interest in remembering & honouring the tradition of ANZAC day.

'Lest We Forget' - when you think about it is a not just a sentimental saying but a warning not to forget the lessons of history that we all need to heed, especially the way the world is moving lately.

My 84 year old mum remembers growing up during the war & has told me many times that once we forget history we are doomed to repeat it. Never forget what can happen she says - as when you to try appease a person, culture or ideology that is totalitarian in nature you are treading on dangerous ground.

In recent times you can see how our society has stopped celebrating parts of our cultural heritage in favour of political correctness & minority politics. Bit by tiny bit we slowly dismantle it so as not to offend others. You can't please all the people all the time is something we need to remember.

Once we stop valuing & respecting our own Western culture - the very culture that made Western countries such great relatively safe & fair places to live, we allow our cultural traditions to be forgotten & once you do that your culture ceases to exist.

'Lest We Forget' - something we all need to keep in mind next time our politicians or social do gooders want us to degrade our culture to appease another.

Our ANZACS didn't die defending our culture to have us throw it away.

I think Churchill had it right when he said - "The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you can see."

I often wonder if once the voices of those who experienced the war cease to exist - will those of us who grew up in a time of relative peace forget not their sacrifice so much but what they were actually fighting to preserve?

Lest We Forget - 3 little words that should resonate for every Australian & New Zealander.

Last year I had the good fortune to travel around Turkey which included a visit to ANZAC Cove and Lone Pine. Standing on the beach looking up to the ridges was a very moving experience.

It is a shame what is happening over there. Turkey is an interesting country. The people are nice, the food good and the shopping is fabulous.

Regards Elaine.

Watching the service from Gallipoli on TV, could not see any cruise ships anchored out in the bay. No doubt no such cruises to the Region this year because of security issues.

I recollect April 25, 2012 on Arcadia, Sydney to Southampton. We were around Gibraltar from memory. A couple of hundred Aussies/Kiwis on board, so being ex Army I asked the CD f we could have an Anzac Day service on board. He organised it and quite a few of the 1500 poms on board also came along.

Lest we forget.

Edited by NSWP

Some really amazing experiences here, glad the ships conduct services. My younger son's school has a school cadet unit (plus a SES cadet unit). He is looking forward to joining cadets in Year 7. The school puts on school ANZAC services which the students seem to take very seriously plus supports a number of local services with the cadet unit. We head out to the sunset service at our local RSL each year.

A beautiful service this morning on the Dawn Princess. We sailed into Milne Bay to Alotau with misty clouds over the mountains. A very special day to be here. The veterans marched around the promenade deck, then a moving service in the Vista lounge and the Captain laid a wreath into the ocean. ANZAC cookies and a beautiful cake were a special touch.

Princess did it well. Shame the rain didnt let up.....we can only imagine what it was like for our diggers in this rain and oppressive heat.

Some really amazing experiences here, glad the ships conduct services. My younger son's school has a school cadet unit (plus a SES cadet unit). He is looking forward to joining cadets in Year 7. The school puts on school ANZAC services which the students seem to take very seriously plus supports a number of local services with the cadet unit. We head out to the sunset service at our local RSL each year.

Our two love cadets and I believe it has instilled in them a sense of discipline, self worth and service they would not have received elsewhere. They did a great job in the parades today and were very proud to wear the medals in honor of those who served. I would post a proud granny snap but don't know how.

I'm pleased that so many younger Australians nowadays show an interest in remembering & honouring the tradition of ANZAC day.

'Lest We Forget' - when you think about it is a not just a sentimental saying but a warning not to forget the lessons of history that we all need to heed, especially the way the world is moving lately.

My 84 year old mum remembers growing up during the war & has told me many times that once we forget history we are doomed to repeat it. Never forget what can happen she says - as when you to try appease a person, culture or ideology that is totalitarian in nature you are treading on dangerous ground.

In recent times you can see how our society has stopped celebrating parts of our cultural heritage in favour of political correctness & minority politics. Bit by tiny bit we slowly dismantle it so as not to offend others. You can't please all the people all the time is something we need to remember.

Once we stop valuing & respecting our own Western culture - the very culture that made Western countries such great relatively safe & fair places to live, we allow our cultural traditions to be forgotten & once you do that your culture ceases to exist.

'Lest We Forget' - something we all need to keep in mind next time our politicians or social do gooders want us to degrade our culture to appease another.

I think Churchill had it right when he said - "The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you can see."

I often wonder if once the voices of those who experienced the war cease to exist - will those of us who grew up in a time of relative peace forget not their sacrifice so much but what they were actually fighting to preserve?

Lest We Forget - 3 little words that should resonate for every Australian & New Zealander.

Well said Avalon007. You are so right.

Yes thank you avalon007 - well said. We are just so fortunate in this country but beware of complacency. I feel that our ideals are slowly being eaten away.:)

Yes they are - more than most people realise. Busy with their own lives & being fed main stream media kumbaya cultural relativism most people don't even notice it happening.

"When tolerance becomes a one way street, it will lead to cultural suicide” Allen West - 2012

Well said, fine sentiments.

Just in the interests of accuracy and to appease the pedant in me though,

What he actually said was, "The longer you can look back, the farther you can look forward."

Also

"It is always wise to look ahead, but difficult to look farther than you can see."

and yet in (a speech in the House of Commons on February 18, 1945.)

"It is a mistake to look too far ahead. Only one link in the chain of destiny can be handled at a time."

Cheers r

:cool:

I'm pleased that so many younger Australians nowadays show an interest in remembering & honouring the tradition of ANZAC

Not just Australians. Here in NZ, we had very good turnouts for ANZAC Day commemorations and services.

Well said, fine sentiments.

Just in the interests of accuracy and to appease the pedant in me though,

What he actually said was, "The longer you can look back, the farther you can look forward."

Also

"It is always wise to look ahead, but difficult to look farther than you can see."

and yet in (a speech in the House of Commons on February 18, 1945.)

"It is a mistake to look too far ahead. Only one link in the chain of destiny can be handled at a time."

Cheers r

:cool:

Fair enough - the site I originally found it on must have used a modernised version perhaps - but at least the meaning is the same.

Sometimes quotes from the same person as you point out can appear to be contradictory when read out of context - but then do make sense when the circumstances under which they were said are better known. He was a politician after all! ;)

I do agree with Mr Churchill most of the time though & think we could well do with another one of him right now.

This is a quote from an earlier time I also enjoy - so relevant to todays world where it seems people don't like to let the truth get in the way of their agenda.

"As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."

Josh Billings, 1865

I do agree with Mr Churchill most of the time though & think we could well do with another one of him right now.

Really?

Did you realise that it was Churchill who was largely responsible for the fiasco that was Gallipoli? He was First Lord of the Admiralty at that time.

He, Kitchener and Hamilton made the decision to land on Gallipoli.

Winston Churchill must have been thought of highly at the time, because, after he died, so much money was collected to create the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust, the Trust is still providing overseas travel benefits to Australians, from all walks of life.

https://www.churchilltrust.com.au/

Really?

Did you realise that it was Churchill who was largely responsible for the fiasco that was Gallipoli? He was First Lord of the Admiralty at that time.

As I said 'I mostly agree with him' not always agree. :)

Also, I should have clarified that I was referring to his thoughts more on the human mind, cultural relativism, his resilience in the face of adversity & love of heritage, not so much his military service.

My reference to needing a Churchill today was in relation to his views on the people causing issues in the world then & today, thus we could have been assured he wouldn't be letting our culture be degraded in the name of political correctness - it is that sort of strength our current politicians lack.

Like all people, politicians especially, he grew & evolved his thinking - given his time over again I'm sure like most people he would do many things differently.

However to his credit he supported innovative technological military solutions, including the development of the tank and he recognised the importance of aerial warfare.

These are some of the things he has said I am referring to that resonate to me given todays PC climate:

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."

"We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

Really?

The attempt to force the Dardanelles was to be a totally Naval campaign dreamed up by Churchill and he manouevred until he got his way. He continually over-rode the advice and decisions of professional navy officers. On 6th April 1915, at a brief meeting of PM Asquith, Churchill, Kitchener and Hankey it was decided to land troops to capture the Turkish forts so the navy could advance to Constantinople. Kitchener was against the use of military all along and he and Churchill fought bitterly. Kitchener visited Gallipoli in November 1915 and recommended evacuation. All along, Churchill fought against this and continually demanded more troops. After the fiasco, Churchill was sacked from the Admiralty.

The Gallipoli landing could never have succeeded. This was the finding of British Royal Commissions in 1917 and 1918 that described the Gallipoli operation as ill-conceived and ineptly executed with thousands of lives needlessly squandered.

I was never tempted to donate money to the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust. He was no friend of Australia, but I acknowledge that he was probably the only man who could have convinced the British people to stand firm against Germany in WWII until Germany's disastrous campaign on the Eastern Front in Russia led to their downfall.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Churchill was greatly respected in Britain and he did so much for Britain during World War II. There's no doubt that he was a great man, but even great men can make mistakes.

Should you ever go to Turkey (and Gallipoli in particular) you will hear what the Turks thought of him. The Turks have a deep respect for the ANZACS, whom they viewed as honourable and having "fought fair". With reference to the Dardanelles Campaign, I have heard them refer to Churchill as "that wicked Winston Churchill".