"Next Cruise" My experience

Royal has told us that we can change once without losing the future OBC. However, I've not seen more than one or two reports that confirm this.

I booked next cruise and took the future OBC, booked a placeholder on Harmony since my dates were not open. I had no problem moving to a different ship and my OBC followed me with no problem! I am sure it doesn't always work the way it is supposed to, but happy that it did for me!!

We did the same thing. OBC showed up in our account something like 5 hours after we booked. We also got and paid the deposit with the RC credit card, which has a bonus-point thing running that got us an instant boost that will equal $100 OBC for the cruise we booked.

When you book onboard, whichever travel agent you booked your current cruise through gets the assignment for your new booking. Be sure to call that travel agent when you get home so that any TA-specific perqs (OBC, etc) can be applied to the sailing.

Smooth process. This seems to be a good program.

Royal has told us that we can change once without losing the future OBC. However, I've not seen more than one or two reports that confirm this.

I can confirm this. Booked a random cruise in Sept 2015 with future OBC because the cruise we wanted wasn't opened yet. Changed it a few weeks ago when the NE/Canada cruises for 2017 opened up. Good to go - can change one time, kept OBC.

I booked next cruise and took the future OBC, booked a placeholder on Harmony since my dates were not open. I had no problem moving to a different ship and my OBC followed me with no problem! I am sure it doesn't always work the way it is supposed to, but happy that it did for me!!

I can confirm this. Booked a random cruise in Sept 2015 with future OBC because the cruise we wanted wasn't opened yet. Changed it a few weeks ago when the NE/Canada cruises for 2017 opened up. Good to go - can change one time, kept OBC.

Thank-you both for confirming.:)

Thanks for the confirmation.

Was the OBC the same between the cruise you originally booked and the new cruise? Just wondering if they would adjust the OBC if you changed to a longer cruise, for example. I think Ellen reported this happening to one of her bookings once.

It dropped because of the length of the sailing. We had reserved a 14 night cruise onboard, and the new sailing was 10 nights. $200 OBC to $150 OBC.

It dropped because of the length of the sailing. We had reserved a 14 night cruise onboard, and the new sailing was 10 nights. $200 OBC to $150 OBC.

Well, I'm almost afraid to say it, but it looks like they are being consistent on this, so far.

It seems like a good technique would be to book any short future cruise so the deposit is $50, and use that like the old Next Cruise certificate. In one case, it's better because you can get a refund. However, you are limited to one change, and you don't have as long to transfer to a TA.

Can someone tell me if this is a true statement please?

My parents booked an October cruise while onboard in January. They used the OBC instantly on that cruise. While looking at the pricing today for the October cruise, with the 'free gratuity' promo, they could move to a different category balcony for cheaper than what they paid in January.

My mom called the rep and was told they would lose their reservation deposit ($150) if changed cabins.

I don't get why?!

Just wanted to to give give a couple real life experiences with the newer "Next Cruise" program. Most of us know now that RCCL change up the program a lil last year with the next cruise program. The biggest things were the OBC could be taken "this cruise" or "next cruise" and the value of your OBC equals your deposit amount ie; a 7 night cruise is $100 deposit per cabin and you get $100 OBC, pretty easy to understand. The biggest question or issue was can you move the cruise and not lose or diminish your obc.

I have 1st hand knowledge that you can move your cruise, date, ship, length, and even company while not losing your obc or having to pay an extra deposit if you take a longer cruise.

My most recent experience was today, I had booked a next cruise while on board the Oasis in January of this year. Unfortunately or fortunately we already had a cruise booked for spring 2017 so we wanted to book a 2018 spring cruise but at the time we sailed the 2018 sailing weren't open yet, we just booked the Harmony 7 night sailing in April 2017 just to hold the booking, pay our $100 deposit for the room and got $100 OBC instantly (again knowing we were going to move the sailing). The Caribbean sailings for 2018 finally opened up and was really wanting to do the Serenade 10 night sailing on March 30th 2018. I was worried I may not be able to move the booking because the 10 night deposit is $150 (we only paid $100). I emailed my T/A and he called RCCL and no problem at all, booking has been moved to the Serenade 2018 with no more deposit required and obviously no OBC taken away because we already spent it. To boot, we snagged cabins 9092 and 9094 deep balcony cabins. :D

My previous experience was for the 2017 spring cruise we have booked, we actually booked that while on the Navigator last year with instant OBC, 1st booked the Jewel of the Seas out of San Juan but after we got home we realized that the week we chose was not our spring break week. So we looked the Jewel for the next week (our actual spring break week) but we really didn't like the itinerary that week so I looked at the Celebrity Summit for the week we needed and low and behold it was the same itinerary we had for the Jewel the week we couldn't go. Again, emailed my T/A and no problem at all to switched the booking to the Summit, again no more deposit (Celebrity next cruise is actually $150) and no loss of OBC.

So I just wanted to let anyone know who may be leery about booking the next cruise that you can move them to a longer cruise, different ship, and even different company with no issues. Again this is with the instant OBC on both so I dont know about the future OBC. My advice take the instant OBC!

The biggest perk we get from this is the deposit, I booked 2 10 night cruise balcony cabins for $200 with the next program, normally that would be $900 that I would have to tie up. Big upside for us.

Thanks so much for explaining this, we're wanting to do this on our next cruise.:)

My parents booked an October cruise while onboard in January. They used the OBC instantly on that cruise. While looking at the pricing today for the October cruise, with the 'free gratuity' promo, they could move to a different category balcony for cheaper than what they paid in January.

My mom called the rep and was told they would lose their reservation deposit ($150) if changed cabins.

I don't get why?!

Unless this is a very recent policy change, I don't think it's true. I was recently able to change 3 reservations that I had made onboard and took instant OBC. The deposits stayed with the reservations.

I don't get why?!

That doesn't sound right to me either. I would try calling again

So I am one of those that lost their OBC.

But after reading through some of these posts I guess I know why?

I had booked a cruise on board last summer but the OBC we got was some special weekend deal at the time we booked. So when we had to change our cruise this spring to a different date, we lost our OBC, but we did not have to pay any more deposit.

We booked another cruise for next year on our most recent cruise and put the OBC off til then. I don't believe that it was under any special deal at that time, so I am hopeful that when we have to move that cruise, because I think we will have to push it to 2018, that we don't lose that OBC too.

But you shouldn't have to pay anymore deposit by changing your cruise or finding a better rate...

When I called to see if the rate dropped on my Next cruise booking, it had. We saved $165 but lost $100BC. At least we netted a $65 savings. I've wondered since if I'd pursued it if we could have kept the OBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by jagsfan

When I called to see if the rate dropped on my Next cruise booking, it had. We saved $165 but lost $100BC. At least we netted a $65 savings. I've wondered since if I'd pursued it if we could have kept the OBC.

Depends what the OBC was from. If it was from a promo that is no longer available, then it's correct that you would lose it. If it's the OBC from booking on board, then you should have kept it.

I don't get why?!

I wonder if the new promotion is for new bookings only. In that case they would probably have to cancel their current reservation which would in turn make them "lose" their deposit. (really don't lose it because they already got the OBC)

The new booking would have had no onboard credit from your original booking on board. I don't know why the other booking would have lost it's OBC. We are supposed to be able to make one change without losing the OBC. I would question the reason for losing the OBC on the booking that you made on board.

I emailed C&A on Friday, heard back today, and as it turns out, it was a misunderstanding on our part. Where we thought we were only getting $50 instant credit, we received the full $150 OBC instantly, plus $100 OBC future credit from the (then) current promotion. So that's the credit that we lost when I made a booking change in March. All is as it should be.

I emailed C&A on Friday, heard back today, and as it turns out, it was a misunderstanding on our part. Where we thought we were only getting $50 instant credit, we received the full $150 OBC instantly, plus $100 OBC future credit from the (then) current promotion. So that's the credit that we lost when I made a booking change in March. All is as it should be.

Thanks for reporting back, it makes sense now.

I had a price drop yesterday (on a 2018 cruise). It was booked onboard, and had our balcony discount and $150 OBC.

This is just a reminder to check your booking confirmation before you hang up the phone. On the first confirmation we received, the OBC had disappeared.

I reviewed it while on the phone, noted it was missing, and asked her to retrieve it. The agent did so, after putting me on hold for a bit and issued a second confirmation showing that it was back in place.

I don't know what their screens look like, but apparently onboard credit can be misplaced very easily.

... I don't know what their screens look like, but apparently onboard credit can be misplaced very easily.

I've always wondered why we don't get OBC added by mistake every once in a while.:rolleyes:

I've always wondered why we don't get OBC added by mistake every once in a while.:rolleyes:

You would think! They sure seem to lose it without any problem. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Can somone answer this for me. We just booked while onboard. We took the instant credit, so thats a no brainer. We are actually wanting to sail in June 18 for sons graduation. But since those dates arent available we booked the last available date and intend to move it when it opens up. But since we are already booked, will this make us not eligible for some sales? The rep we worked with said we would be but as I started thinking , i know some are for new bookings only? we did book under the current 3rd night free or whatever it is. Any more info or advice is welcome.

Edited by brn2crz

Can somone answer this for me. We jusy booked while onboard. We took the instsnt credit, so thats a no brainer. We are actually wanting to sail in June 18 for sons graduation. But since those dates arent available we booked the last available dste and intend to move it when it opens up. But since we are already booked, will this make us not eligible for some sales? The rep we worked with said we would be but as I started thinnking , i know some are for new bookings only? we did book under the current 3rd nigh5 free or whatever it is. Any more info or advice is welcome.

It's hard to say what the policy will be in a year when the new bookings come out. I have seen it both ways, some people with existing bookings have been able to take advantage of deals and others are refused.