Upgrade Fairy Nightmare

SurferJoe57

I only posted the thread as a precautionary tale.

Thanks for posting this. I hope that Carnival steps up and fixes their mistake. $25 is no where near enough compensation for all the trouble this has caused. Let us know how it turns out. We're rooting for you!!

OP - I haven't read all the replies, but did you post on John Heald's FB page? I think that is truly your BEST option. He does respond or gets someone else to for things that are truly important, and in your case I believe you were royally screwed over and he would help.

Messaging John Heald is next to useless. However, we only tried once, and his response 30 days later was "Sorry. Hope you had a nice cruise". DUH - in the meantime, Carnival had cancelled the cruise 2 weeks before departure and the ship never sailed. Perhaps he simply doesn't know (or care) what's going on.

Our experience was that Carnival was very quick to wipe their hands of any accountability and the burden of cancelling flights, hotels, excursions, etc. was left completely up to us. Took them 3 months to refund our money after numerous emails and phone calls. We were first (and last) timers on Carnival, but that they would do this to an obviously loyal and regular customer is beyond me.

Messaging John Heald is next to useless. However, we only tried once, and his response 30 days later was "Sorry. Hope you had a nice cruise". DUH - in the meantime, Carnival had cancelled the cruise 2 weeks before departure and the ship never sailed. Perhaps he simply doesn't know (or care) what's going on.

Our experience was that Carnival was very quick to wipe their hands of any accountability and the burden of cancelling flights, hotels, excursions, etc. was left completely up to us. Took them 3 months to refund our money after numerous emails and phone calls. We were first (and last) timers on Carnival, but that they would do this to an obviously loyal and regular customer is beyond me.

Depends on how you contact him. I posted on his facebook wall and was contacted the same day by someone in Miami on his behalf. This was for last year's cruise on the Fascination. It was resolved to our satisfaction, and we were happy with the outcome!

I haven't read all the responses, so if this was mentioned, I apologize.

When you book a Carnival excursion, you should get an email confirmation. I flag mine, so I can easily find them if needed.

I would print them out and every other email correspondence you have made and take everything with you. Hopefully they will honor the excursions.

I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope you can get it resolved.

I have nothing against John Heald. Never met him but he seems like a nice guy. However I fail to understand why the auto response from so many is to contact him. Your best best if you're in a real bind is using cclsupport@carnival.com. JH is a brand ambassador. Not the head of customer resolutions.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I have nothing against John Heald. Never met him but he seems like a nice guy. However I fail to understand why the auto response from so many is to contact him. Your best best if you're in a real bind is using cclsupport@carnival.com. JH is a brand ambassador. Not the head of customer resolutions.

When a question is posed about potential options for solutions, contacting Carnival customer care is kind of a "no brainer." However, contacting Heald is something that many folks may not know is an option. It's an "unconventional" path to a solution that some may not have considered. Especially as many are not familiar with using social media to pursue resolution. The hope is, because his Facebook page is a public forum, perhaps he will offer a solution to "save face".

I think that is why many people make the suggestion. Not that it's necessarily a better way to go. Just another option to pursue resolution. But, I could be wrong, as some people do seem to think he can make the ships dance at the sound of his voice.

When a question is posed about potential options for solutions, contacting Carnival customer care is kind of a "no brainer." However, contacting Heald is something that many folks may not know is an option. It's an "unconventional" path to a solution that some may not have considered. Especially as many are not familiar with using social media to pursue resolution. The hope is, because his Facebook page is a public forum, perhaps he will offer a solution to "save face".

I think that is why many people make the suggestion. Not that it's necessarily a better way to go. Just another option to pursue resolution. But, I could be wrong, as some people do seem to think he can make the ships dance at the sound of his voice.

From experience.....a complaint to him on Facebook (in a light-hearted manner) stopped the annoying calls from over-eager PVPs every time I signed on to carnival.com. So, he can help some things.

From experience.....a complaint to him on Facebook (in a light-hearted manner) stopped the annoying calls from over-eager PVPs every time I signed on to carnival.com. So, he can help some things.

i think he should address this because i know a lot of us are eager to know the outcome. i'm terrified that something like this could happen just from the upgrade fairy. you work hard to pick your date, research and pick your ship, research and pick your excursions, budget your money, get the timing of transfers down. so much work goes into that booking. for it to disappear like that and carnival shrugs it off is beyond comprehension to me.

i think he should address this because i know a lot of us are eager to know the outcome. i'm terrified that something like this could happen just from the upgrade fairy. you work hard to pick your date, research and pick your ship, research and pick your excursions, budget your money, get the timing of transfers down. so much work goes into that booking. for it to disappear like that and carnival shrugs it off is beyond comprehension to me.

Unfortunately it could also happen without involvement from the upgrade fairy. Any human being punching buttons without attention can make the same mistake. The difference is how such a mistake is rectified. In this instance, it was handled poorly (and that's an understatement).

Does the possibility of such a problem terrify me? No. Would I be highly perturbed if I had a similar experience? You bet.

The OP has alluded to the fact this has not (and probably will not) really be fully corrected and that disappoints me. I have been fortunate to have only good to excellent experiences with Carnival customer service and it disappoints me the OP wasn't treated better.

Unfortunately it could also happen without involvement from the upgrade fairy. Any human being punching buttons without attention can make the same mistake. The difference is how such a mistake is rectified. In this instance, it was handled poorly (and that's an understatement).

Does the possibility of such a problem terrify me? No. Would I be highly perturbed if I had a similar experience? You bet.

The OP has alluded to the fact this has not (and probably will not) really be fully corrected and that disappoints me. I have been fortunate to have only good to excellent experiences with Carnival customer service and it disappoints me the OP wasn't treated better.

true...and i have switched rooms (just recently, in fact), ships, and been upgraded so i guess i have done it all but you're right. i would really like to help this OP lobby to get this put right.

Still no action. The excursion was "private cabana by the pool" in Nassau. I'd done it before, the wife really liked it.

If this is on their "private island" take it as a favor! As others have said, that island is not what it was (IMHO it never was) and I find it just a place you are dumped with no way to get off til they come get you.

The Sandals day pass gives you the opportunity to go to the same island but as an all-inclusive... AND the ferry is every 30 minutes or so. If you walk past Carnival's bathrooms and where you get food you will find a locked gate and usually a guard, the other side is Sandals.

Just saw where you have come back and stated what has happened, yes please get the day pass at Sandals Bahamian resort, not Breezes....

Edited by bobsfamily
add comment

Original Poster very sorry this happened to you. But I do feel their offer of a $25 OBC was a slap in the face for their error.:eek: I am sure your hourly wage is more then $25 and the amount of time it took you to resolve the issue valued out at way more then $25!!!

I hope you can get passed this and still enjoy your cruise.

Here's another horror story for next Halloween:

I'm in a meeting at work, minding my own business, when the cell vibrates...caller ID is Carnival Cruise (Guest Admin). I leave the meeting, answer the phone - the upgrade fairy is offering to move me out of my 'handicap' room (I'm not handicapped, but it was the only room left when I went to book this cruise) into another room - better cabin actually - at no cost. "Sure!" says I, happy to make way for someone who needed the handicap room.

Go back to meeting. Phone vibrates. Email from Carnival: "Sorry you had to cancel your cruise. Your cancellation penalty is $500..yada yada yada.."

_$^&*@#_)(@#*_)(@!*_(!!!#$%^$# thinks I.

I call Carnival. "Ooops!" they say, but no worries, "we're so sorry, we didn't mean to push that button. You're still booked."

I go check my booking online. They cancelled out my transfers, shore excursions, cabin decorations, everything. I call them back, "Ooops, we're so sorry. You'll need to rebook everything. Sorry!"

I try to rebook my shore excursions. SOLD OUT, NOT AVAILABLE.

I call Carnival back..

"Look, you're killing me. I have to work right now. The cruise is in 7 days. My shore excursions disappeared, I can't rebook online. I'm Platinum, I'm a stockholder. I didn't do this, YOU did. FIX IT. Please."

Carnival agent: "Oh, we're so sorry. We can't fix it that easy."

Me: "Get ahold of shore excursions and put them back please."

Anyway. That was 6 hours ago. They offered me $25 in OBC. You gotta be kidding me. I don't want the $25, I want the $300 excursion back. I can't believe they did this to me and can't fix it.

---rant over----

Granted this has never happened to me in 18 CCL cruises, but it's absolutely inexcusable that they screwed this up and it's my problem?

$25? That's not only a joke but an insult. I'm gonna keep reading. I've gotten 50% off a cruise just for giving a follow up complaint for not having access to a public room. Work your way up the chain of command.

on a side note, I remember freaking out the day I was cruising, making sure they did not move me out of my cabin by trying to order gift services online. Seems they close that out the day of your sailing, and I prematurely freaked out.

Here's another horror story for next Halloween:

I'm in a meeting at work, minding my own business, when the cell vibrates...caller ID is Carnival Cruise (Guest Admin). I leave the meeting, answer the phone - the upgrade fairy is offering to move me out of my 'handicap' room (I'm not handicapped, but it was the only room left when I went to book this cruise) into another room - better cabin actually - at no cost. "Sure!" says I, happy to make way for someone who needed the handicap room.

Go back to meeting. Phone vibrates. Email from Carnival: "Sorry you had to cancel your cruise. Your cancellation penalty is $500..yada yada yada.."

_$^&*@#_)(@#*_)(@!*_(!!!#$%^$# thinks I.

I call Carnival. "Ooops!" they say, but no worries, "we're so sorry, we didn't mean to push that button. You're still booked."

I go check my booking online. They cancelled out my transfers, shore excursions, cabin decorations, everything. I call them back, "Ooops, we're so sorry. You'll need to rebook everything. Sorry!"

I try to rebook my shore excursions. SOLD OUT, NOT AVAILABLE.

I call Carnival back..

"Look, you're killing me. I have to work right now. The cruise is in 7 days. My shore excursions disappeared, I can't rebook online. I'm Platinum, I'm a stockholder. I didn't do this, YOU did. FIX IT. Please."

Carnival agent: "Oh, we're so sorry. We can't fix it that easy."

Me: "Get ahold of shore excursions and put them back please."

Anyway. That was 6 hours ago. They offered me $25 in OBC. You gotta be kidding me. I don't want the $25, I want the $300 excursion back. I can't believe they did this to me and can't fix it.

---rant over----

Granted this has never happened to me in 18 CCL cruises, but it's absolutely inexcusable that they screwed this up and it's my problem?

They may not be able to "fix" it at this point but at least they can comp everything to another cruise with some OBC and a cabin upgrade. Moral of story: Fairies are a fantasy.

They may not be able to "fix" it at this point but at least they can comp everything to another cruise with some OBC and a cabin upgrade. Moral of story: Fairies are a fantasy.

Having to rebook transfers and cabin decorations and the loss of 1 excursion is worth comping everything to another cruise with OBC and a cabin upgrade?

Unrealistic and over expectations.

Having to rebook transfers and cabin decorations and the loss of 1 excursion is worth comping everything to another cruise with OBC and a cabin upgrade?

Unrealistic and over expectations.

No, but certainly this inconvenience and stress warrants more than $25 obc!

Just as a postscript to this thread my first Carnival cruise was booked by my sister. I believe she booked directly through Carnival. She contacted me at some point about an upgrade offer and I said do what you think best. My only obligation was to send her a check when she asked. Easy peasy.

We had nothing pre-planned as the OP did, but found upon boarding our confirmed dining time had been changed. Got it changed back but a little bell went off in my head. Since the only thing she had changed was accepting an upgrade, apparently there were other unintended consequences to changing cabins.

I have booked all subsequent cruises and make very sure to verify EVERYTHING when making any change to a booking.