Problem with NCl Booking-unreasonable policy

cleobella

We booked with NCl almost a year ago, and also paid out the balance early. We are repeat customers and I have already added about $500 in extras, which are paid for. Last week I note that they are now offering a promo, and see that the base price for our trip dropped $200 pp. I have made 2 calls and spent over an hour, trying to negotiate something that will make this situation better for us. I suggested that they add one of the promo features to our account but they declined. They offered an upgrade but the room they offered is in a very poor location, I am better off in the lower category room. The customer service agent tried to request OBC but someone at the (un) help desk denied this. Really, I do not expect a dollar for dollar OBC but you'd think they would want to do something to ease the pain of getting such a bum deal. I will try to tackle this again tomorrow but right now I'm feeling pretty down on NCl and wish we had booked with another line. Will update this post later and hope to have good news that will show NCL has the customers best reasonable interests at heart.

I thnk it depends on when final payment is due. If you are after final payment then no, they don't owe you anything. If it is not after final payment you certainly have the option to cancel and get a refund, again, depending upon how far out you are, which would determine the percentage of the refund. Sounds like you are after the point of 100% refund...

From OP's signature - "Next" NCL Star Baltics 2016! (can't see it from mobile devices or tablet) - as neighbors north of the US border, they can cancel & rebook, and from the description - they booked directly with NCL & not via TA. It seemed they are still outside final payment & won't have cancellation charges. I would seriously cancel & rebook - downside is that they will lose whatever promo perks from a year ago, which is possibly still better than under the current/new offerings kicking in today.

Give NCL another chance to get it right, speak to a different agent & if the solution offered isn't acceptable - politely hang up & repeat the call; and, tell them you will cancel. Taking the business elsewhere is definitely an option.

It seemed OP doesn't mind upgrading to a different room category & location, as long as it is reasonable - with the price drop. Maybe, I am missing something else obvious ;)

Edited by mking8288

From OP's signature - "Next" NCL Star Baltics 2016! (can't see it from mobile devices or tablet) - as neighbors north of the US border, they can cancel & rebook, and from the description - they booked directly with NCL & not via TA. It seemed they are still outside final payment & won't have cancellation charges. I would seriously cancel & rebook - downside is that they will lose whatever promo perks from a year ago, which is possibly still better than under the current/new offerings kicking in today.

Give NCL another chance to get it right, speak to a different agent & if the solution offered isn't acceptable - politely hang up & repeat the call; and, tell them you will cancel. Taking the business elsewhere is definitely an option.

It seemed OP doesn't mind upgrading to a different room category & location, as long as it is reasonable - with the price drop. Maybe, I am missing something else obvious ;)

OP is sailing on June 2nd. 32 days from now so definitely past final payment date.

I am not aware of any other cruise lines that will give you OBC or anything else after the final payment date unless you book Carnivals early saver rate which comes with some stipulations.

OP is sailing on June 2nd. 32 days from now so definitely past final payment date ...

Oops, scratch my comments - for whatever reasons, I somehow read it as 2017 ... must be in the twilight zone again, time for another cup of good coffee.

Under the circumstances, best to hope for - and NCL isn't obligated to do anything else - maybe they will offer an upgrade to a different stateroom and/or see if an OBC can be requested.

Under the circumstances, best to hope for - and NCL isn't obligated to do anything else - maybe they will offer an upgrade to a different stateroom and/or see if an OBC can be requested.

The OP wasn't satisfied with the alternative stateroom that was offered.

They offered an upgrade but the room they offered is in a very poor location, I am better off in the lower category room.
Edited by Sauer-kraut

... you'd think they would want to do something to ease the pain of getting such a bum deal.

Was it a "bum deal" when you booked?

You were happy with what you paid and what you received. Just enjoy your cruise and don't worry about what others might have paid. Some may have paid more than you and received less. Don't let either scenario make a difference to you.

You were happy with what you paid and what you received. Just enjoy your cruise and don't worry about what others might have paid. Some may have paid more than you and received less. Don't let either scenario make a difference to you.

It was such a "bum deal" they actually paid it off early according to the OP:)

So you are on an airplane and find out that the passenger next to you paid less than you did. Do you ask the airline for any compensation? Why should a Cruiseline be different?

So you are on an airplane and find out that the passenger next to you paid less than you did. Do you ask the airline for any compensation? Why should a Cruiseline be different?

This right here. Prices change all the time. Book when you find the best deal of price and promos and then move on.

Bingo.

my advice for the OP is when final payment day comes, stop looking at prices or specials or deals. it will just frustrate you

They offered you an upgrade and while you didnt like the location, they didnt have to offer anything.

I think they were generous under the circumstances.

just relax and enjoy your cruise

We booked with NCl almost a year ago, and also paid out the balance early. We are repeat customers and I have already added about $500 in extras, which are paid for. Last week I note that they are now offering a promo, and see that the base price for our trip dropped $200 pp. I have made 2 calls and spent over an hour, trying to negotiate something that will make this situation better for us. I suggested that they add one of the promo features to our account but they declined. They offered an upgrade but the room they offered is in a very poor location, I am better off in the lower category room. The customer service agent tried to request OBC but someone at the (un) help desk denied this. Really, I do not expect a dollar for dollar OBC but you'd think they would want to do something to ease the pain of getting such a bum deal. I will try to tackle this again tomorrow but right now I'm feeling pretty down on NCl and wish we had booked with another line. Will update this post later and hope to have good news that will show NCL has the customers best reasonable interests at heart.

You do know that within 30 days there are no promo's. Right? So booking for $200 less, with no promo's could actually cost more.

I don't think OP is entitled to anything and I applaud NCL for having the guts to finally start saying NO!

If you are past teh date for final payment you should be fixed with what you have. No changes should be allowed. OP sounds like part of the "entitled" generation.

Thanks to those who responded in a constructive manner. I am still not satisfied with the situation, but from your comments I do understand that NCL doesn't owe me anything after final payment. Maybe we will change our booking strategy next time around and wait a bit to see if better deals come up. To those who made fun of my post, especially the person who wondered if I was part of an "entitled generation", these assumptions, and sarcastic answers are not nice, helpful or necessary.

Thanks to those who responded in a constructive manner. I am still not satisfied with the situation, but from your comments I do understand that NCL doesn't owe me anything after final payment. Maybe we will change our booking strategy next time around and wait a bit to see if better deals come up. To those who made fun of my post, especially the person who wondered if I was part of an "entitled generation", these assumptions, and sarcastic answers are not nice, helpful or necessary.

One time, on another line, we booked very late, due to a change in plans. In the few days we waited while finalizing our decision the price went up. It happens.

I book what I feel is of value to me.

My Feb 2017 cruise was booked over a year ago. It is now 150% of what we contracted for.

You just don't know which way it will go.

Edited by DMH15

It would not have mattered if you book with a different line. Once you pass the final payment date there is no price matching. It is unreasonable to expect them to give you something now. You paid for the cruise - rather than wasting time trying to now get something you are not owed, spend the time enjoying anticipating the amazing cruise you will be taking soon. In the future, wait to book and pay until you feel 100% sure that the price you are paying is a price you feel comfortable with.

In this instance you didn't get the best deal - obviously you could afford the price you paid and even paid it off early - next time you might get lucky and get rock bottom prices.

Edited by 2specialkidsforme

The difference being with airfare you usually pay more if you wait til the last minute rather than being proactive and booking early. I can see why people are bothered by getting a worse deal by committing to the company early, rather than being "irresponsible" and waiting til later.