Should Carnival bring back tablecloths each night?

Should Carnival bring back tablecloths for each night in the Main Dining Room?  

598 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival bring back tablecloths for each night in the Main Dining Room?

• YES!
    • NO!
    • Don't care...

The presence or absence of a tablecloth does not affect my meal. The food tastes the same, the service is the same and my overall enjoyment of the meal is the same whether there is a tablecloth no the table or not.

• Thanks 1

I don't care. Growing up being raised by my grandfather, the only time I ever saw a tablecloth was during Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.

Looks like the results of this poll isn't really what some were hoping it would be...

• Thanks 1

Looks like the results of this poll isn't really what some were hoping it would be...

Now let's do one for elegant nights. Would love to see an end to them too. Especially having to do 2 of them in 7 days.

• Like 1

When in the world did tablecloths, butter knives and salad forks become synonymous with the finer things in life. That lifestyle started dying in the 60s and pretty much has breathed its last breath. I'll make an a** of myself and assume that 95% of households don't set the table (if they set a table) with anything more than a single fork, a single knife, and a single spoon. All the little niceties don't seem to make food taste any better, for me at least.

I'll also make and a** of myself and state that a rousing majority of cruisers no longer cruise to play dress-up and psuedo rich....they cruise for fun and enjoyment and activities and relaxation. Most young kids have never seen a table cloth (except maybe for Thanksgiving dinner at Great Grandmas).

I voted Don't Care BUT I can see the point of the folks who like it fancy. Not only do I not set a table at home, I don't even use the table 99.9999% of the time. I eat supper in my recliner in front of the tv.

So because of that, even though I don't really care in the grand scheme of things (meaning it sure isn't going to ruin my cruise in July on nights with no tablecloths) I am looking forward to dressing up a little and being waited on. I don't get to feel catered-to every day at home* so it will be nice to get that special treatment even if it's just a little bit.

On the other hand, except for fancy dinner, I'm in flip flops, shorts and metal band t-shirts. I can casual with the best. ;)

*actually, my wife does a darn fine job of making me feel special which is one of the reason we are cruising to celebrate our 30th anniversary in July. It'll be nice that she gets to enjoy some special treatment too.

Can we be sure the wooden table is sanitized after each service?

Need to bring back the second fork and the teaspoon.

How about a paper coaster under the drippy glass.

Buy smaller bread plates.

I am not being unreasonable on these requests.

John Heald is once again posting on his blog about tablecloths, and how the tables look 'brilliant' without them. If you care, reply to the poll and I will share the results with him.

Yes he also pushes blue jeans and shorts on Elegant night too.

We'd like tablecloths back so that water from glasses and carafes doesn't pool and drip all over your clothes ... and so if the ship is rocking things don't slide around as easily.

Also, silverware is placed on the bare table - who knows how many times the rag that wipes it clean has been used. I'm not a germophobe but it makes me uncomfortable. At least at home I know where the rag has been :D

These...

I got tired of rearranging the stupid empty wine glasses every 10 minutes after they would dance around the table and start clinging each other. (That said, I wish the waitstaff would have removed them from the table. We felt like we were playing those old 1970 electronic football games)

The water carafe was constantly dripping on the table. (Go with plastic next time...)

The noise did seem less during elegant night.

I dont care about the germs per se. Maybe they could at least go with placemats, like we use at home when we dont have a table cloth...

For those against elegant night, why cant Carnival just separate the 2 dining rooms on each ship. Make one elegant every night, and the other casual every night. One with, one without table clothes. The food can be the same.

Voted don't care. Not sure where all this about the carafe's and glasses sliding around on the table. The carafe is in a little holder that absorbs any condensation, so no worries on that count. The glasses are stemmed and any condensation is on the actual glass not underneath it. We didn't have any issues with the glass wear sliding around the table without a tablecloth.

Agree! Some of you must think if the ship moves just one inch side to side everything on the table is going to crash onto the floor! We didn't experience any condensation from either the glasses or the carafe (which is in a holder). We survived! Most of the restaurants we frequent at home don't have tablecloths either and yet we survive.

But, if Carnival decides to do away with the twice daily room service I would move along to another line. I really couldn't care less about tablecloths.

Can we be sure the wooden table is sanitized after each service?

Need to bring back the second fork and the teaspoon.

How about a paper coaster under the drippy glass.

Buy smaller bread plates.

I am not being unreasonable on these requests.

No, it isn't sanitized, wiped with a wet cloth.

And the butter knife. Even the server thought that was dumb.

Sunshine had a tray under the water, no drips.

My bread plate was small.

They served a baked potato in a dish with sides on it so you couldn't cut it open and put butter on it. Had to put it on the main plate.

I guess I'm in the minority since I appreciate having a table cloth. I understand the reasons behind doing away with them, but I would like to see them on the tables in the MDR on Formal/Elegant Nights.

They are still on the tables for formal/elegant night.

I voted no because I truly don't care and now that they have made the switch to a more environmentally sustainable table the last thing they should do is go backwards...

You really don't think the washers are going 7/24? With people who like to use a towel just once while cruising (like me)? All of the beach towels and all of the towels the spa goes through?

Yes, bring them back. I like getting dressed up for dinner and a restaurant without a table cloth is more like a "trattoria" style dining. Nice in some venues, like a Red FRog,Sushi or Luncheonette style dining...but in a nice dining room, I prefer a table cloth and a formal plate setting.

Last cruise, every time I picked up the water carafe, water dripped on me...not a deal breaker by any means...but I prefer a dining table WITH tablecloths.

When in the world did tablecloths, butter knives and salad forks become synonymous with the finer things in life. That lifestyle started dying in the 60s and pretty much has breathed its last breath. I'll make an a** of myself and assume that 95% of households don't set the table (if they set a table) with anything more than a single fork, a single knife, and a single spoon. All the little niceties don't seem to make food taste any better, for me at all.

Pretty sure the loss of these type of things at home is exactly why people equate them with "classy." I mean, dang, if I can't do any better than what I get at home, why bother?

Can't see why it bothers people so much that some might actually LIKE the little bit of romantic make-believe you get putting on grown up clothes for a few hours.

That being said....plenty of fine dining establishments do not have table cloths any more. So....don't care. :0

Edited by Pops, Esq.

Bring them back! Carnival is going down hill with cutting corners.

Sorry, but no they're not. [emoji4]

Op, voted don't care but if I had to choose, much rather no table cloths.

Edited by Podna's

When in the world did tablecloths, butter knives and salad forks become synonymous with the finer things in life. That lifestyle started dying in the 60s and pretty much has breathed its last breath. I'll make an a** of myself and assume that 95% of households don't set the table (if they set a table) with anything more than a single fork, a single knife, and a single spoon. All the little niceties don't seem to make food taste any better, for me at least.

I'll also make and a** of myself and state that a rousing majority of cruisers no longer cruise to play dress-up and psuedo rich....they cruise for fun and enjoyment and activities and relaxation. Most young kids have never seen a table cloth (except maybe for Thanksgiving dinner at Great Grandmas).

Uh, is that a "No"?

• Haha 1

Well the tablecloth wins so far on this vote...I think not so many who voted yes posted..I vote yes..we had birthday paper and plastic tablecloths, mom made me a beautiful Christmas one about 8 years ago..treasured gift. I have a simple little wood and formica top table..protects the wood lip...I have a small collection and use place mats on counter. When a bigger group I use my counter and table. Some sets are dressy others are casual. I can't believe that nobody uses them and or place mats. I think it cuts noise, is more hygienic, and just nice. I refuse to believe it is all old school..we have all types of restaurants and some new ones with a new western type decor that are very expensive and have tablecloths, fine steaks and other things with the western photos; as well as some now nicer places without "tc's" but using place mats....even in my smaller area..and restaurants are for tourists as much if not more than locals.

I have a few of my grandmothers tablecloths and a few for the card table I had until I finally got my table, lol first 8 years or so out of college I had a card table and directors chairs in my apt......I still have a lean annual budget. I live rather casually in a rural small town area...but tablecloths have always been used..and or place mats. And the noise help is amazing in a huge dining room. Carnival's dining rooms are nice with food most people find decent..not fancy but decent and with apps, salads, mains, desserts..the flatware and tablecloths should be a part of experience even on more cruise casual nights. I also say be strict about a few things even on casual evenings in the dining room too..at minimum dressy long shorts etc. and socks and shoes on men or dressy casual sandals, pedicures and dressy sandals or hose on women....make it a special experience....being served...no salad fork and butter knife...that really shocks me..to me that is pathetic. It is not that I can not enjoy new way...but I think it is cheap for many...too cheap...not vacation like...but super casual is taking over on Carnival....sad to me.

Edited by sjn911

This isn't what I expected from CC at all.

Especially since on the FB page it was an overwhelming yes for tablecloths.

take out the 'don't cares'......because they really don't care......and you have an overwhelming yes on cc as well.

I haven't read all of the replies, however, when he posted pictures of the MDR on the Vista today, it just looked CHEAP to me.

I get it. They have to wash hundreds of these daily, but to me, it makes a HUGE difference!!!

Bring back the tablecloths!!!!:D

I voted "don't care" and I really don't. I thought the tables on the Pride looked nice.

What I noticed most about the MDR is that every dish I ordered was lukewarm.

I just googled the top restaurants in Atlanta. The #1, no tablecloths. And no placemats. Not sure what all the fuss is about. I have eaten there several times and it feels like a very upscale restaurant. And I dress up every night for dinner on a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• Thanks 1

John Heald is once again posting on his blog about tablecloths, and how the tables look 'brilliant' without them. If you care, reply to the poll and I will share the results with him.

We talked to our waiter about this subject on our recent Conquest cruise. They said the same thing we did, that there is much more breakage of glasses, plates, bottles due to items sliding too easily on the table surface and falling off. They indicated that they were not happy with the decision to remove the tablecloths because of this.