Should Carnival bring back tablecloths each night?

Should Carnival bring back tablecloths for each night in the Main Dining Room?  

598 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival bring back tablecloths for each night in the Main Dining Room?

• YES!
    • NO!
    • Don't care...

You said having no tablecloths was akin to eating at McDonalds, so are all these high-end restaurants like eating at McDonalds?

No. Not me. I said Hard Rock still uses tablecloths in the buffet. Try to keep up with the thread. Oh, I did say that you've got Denny's At Sea now. I stand by that statement. Has nothing to do with tablecloths. Has to do with the general experience.

No. Not me. I said Hard Rock still uses tablecloths in the buffet. Try to keep up with the thread. Oh, I did say that you've got Denny's At Sea now. I stand by that statement. Has nothing to do with tablecloths. Has to do with the general experience.

Hard Rock has cruise ships? Just came back from the HR Riviera Maya. They also have a foam cannon party once a week. Not sure what that has to do with table cloths on Carnival ships tho.....;)

Hard Rock has cruise ships? Just came back from the HR Riviera Maya. They also have a foam cannon party once a week. Not sure what that has to do with table cloths on Carnival ships tho.....;)

Someone's dad said that tablecloths are passe. I said that HR still uses them in the buffet and must not have gotten the memo. :)

i don't see what the experiment proves. why would the newbie be expected to notice the lack of a table clothe since he may not know to expect one on the table. now, if he has sailed other lines that had table clothes then he may or may not notice the lack of a table clothe on carnival. of course, it may be that he just isn't observant of such things in general which would only prove a lack of situational awareness. ;)

He's been on Carnival a few times before the change, so it will show if the "average" person notices or cares about the tablecloths. We have never discussed tablecloths on cruise ships, so I just want to see if he says anything. Obviously to be a real experiment we would have to get the reactions of a lot of people, but I'm just curious.

Edited by It's a Ship!!!

i don't see what the experiment proves. why would the newbie be expected to notice the lack of a table clothe since he may not know to expect one on the table. now, if he has sailed other lines that had table clothes then he may or may not notice the lack of a table clothe on carnival. of course, it may be that he just isn't observant of such things in general which would only prove a lack of situational awareness. ;)

What the experiment will prove is, if this individual looks down at the table and says "This table should have a cloth on it!", that tablecloths matter to him/her.

If he/she doesn't, they don't.

The existence or absence of a tablecloth isn't a singular indicator of the quality of the dining experience. Several local 5-star restaurants don't have cloths on their tables (yet just as many others do). I wonder how those that don't would feel if I expressed the lack of tablecloths made the experience no better than Denny's.

Edited by KevInPitt

The existence or absence of a tablecloth isn't a singular indicator of the quality of the dining experience. Several local 5-star restaurants don't have cloths on their tables (yet just as many others do). I wonder how those that don't would feel if I expressed the lack of tablecloths made the experience no better than Denny's.

They might either ask you not to come back, or comp your meal. It's worth a shot. ;)

Edited by Thorncroft

Maybe when the Carnival 3.0 upgrades come out they will do away with tables altogether... Just long troughs of food with people crowded around eating with their hands, or face first for the more aggressively hungry.

Just because some of you choose to have your meals at home "McDonalds Style" doesn't mean that is the experience we want in the MDR on a cruise!

The way some people behave at the lido I think that's a good idea.

Regardless of the commentary here on this subject the "yes" votes to table cloths are winning.

BTW, I voted yes.:cool:

That's one way to look at the numbers. Another is that not even half of the people say yes!!!:cool:

You're a funny guy.

I'd assume from your comment that you patronize Denny's or else how would you come up with the comparison. "They" seemingly get your money so why not Carnival. By the way, lots of peeps like Dennys and Applebees and McDonalds. They probably spend lots more money there then they do at elite high end restaurants considering the restaurants they frequent have been in business for years. Not everyone wants to cruise with tablecloths and psuedo upscale dining. They are perfectly content with what Carnival offers...based on the fact the cruiseline sails full week after week.

They might either ask you not to come back, or comp your meal. It's worth a shot. ;)

You have obviously never been to a high-end restaurant even though you comport yourself on the premise you frequent them. I, however, have and I have been partner in operating one.

I can assure you that in a high-end restaurant a guest comment equating the lack of tablecloths to being a Dennys or McDonalds experience would always result in the former and never the latter. It's not a shot that would ever cross my mind to take.

Your turn, Sybil Dorsett. Be careful with that axe - it's sharp!

Edited by KevInPitt

Regardless of the commentary here on this subject the "yes" votes to table cloths are winning.

BTW, I voted yes.:cool:

Actually, if you add the No's to the Don't Care's (which should be one category), then the count is 189 for No/Don't Care and 168 for Yes. Seems the No's and Don't Care's are winning. (At least at 3:48.)

You have obviously never been to a high-end restaurant even though you comport yourself on the premise you frequent them. I, however, have and I have been partner in operating one.

I can assure you that in a high-end restaurant a guest comment equating the lack of tablecloths to being a Dennys or McDonalds experience would always result in the former and never the latter. It's not a shot that would ever cross my mind to take.

Your turn, Sybil Dorsett. Be careful with that axe - it's sharp!

You know for a fact that I've never been to a high end restaurant? That's where you lost all credibility with me, although your post was outstanding in it's ignorant condescension. You sound just like a mater dee. In fact I'm re-reading your post with my nose in the air and imagining that fake, pretentious accent that you all seem to adore. :p BTW, my post was meant as a joke. It's good to come out from behind your podium once in a while and mingle with the soiled masses.

John Heald is once again posting on his blog about tablecloths, and how the tables look 'brilliant' without them. If you care, reply to the poll and I will share the results with him.

haha when J.H. doesn't get the results that he wants he reposts the question next month like clockwork. Caribbean steal drums on the lido, news played on the big screen, table clothes on the tables, cabin service once daily, etc. I unfollowed him. He used to be 'brilliant'.

More importantly than if Carnival should bring back tablecloths or not, why does this warrant a 7 page discussion? haha

Lol. Because this is what the less than 1% of cruisers that's heard of cc like to do. It's cool though. Makes for some good reading.

• Haha 1