Should Carnival bring back tablecloths each night?

Should Carnival bring back tablecloths for each night in the Main Dining Room?  

598 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival bring back tablecloths for each night in the Main Dining Room?

• YES!
    • NO!
    • Don't care...

One more vote for "yes" here. On our last cruise, I inadvertently bumped my plate. Not even super hard. It was like the plate turned into a hockey puck, loudly sliding into and hitting another plate..."CLANG"!..That plate in turn started to careen off the table:eek:. Luckily, my husband quickly reacted and caught it before it fell to the floor :D..Great save Babe!

The new tables are without a doubt quite slippery. The plates were moving on the table very easily even with calm seas, so we were frequently readjusting them. I can only imagine what it would be like if the seas were rough.

IMHO the MDR has been downgraded. Trying to cut a food item on your plate and hold the plate steady at the same time is not "fun". It's annoying! I can only speak of our experience. Maybe these "other restaurants" that members here are speaking of don't have slippery table tops that could be likened to the surface of bowling lanes.

Carnival is quickly going forward with the reputation of being the "Casual Cruise Line", which isn't necessary bad if that's the experience they wish to market and the demographic they are targeting has no problem with the cutbacks. As guests we just have to decide what's preferable to us. We can vote with our voices and our dollars.

That being said, I don't see Carnival bringing back the nightly tablecloths. After looking at some pics of the Vista, it looks as though the steakhouse tables didn't have tablecloths either...someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you think Carnival is also going to do away with the nightly tablecloths in the steakhouses on all the ships? My thought on this is..yes..if the demographics allow it then they will.

Yeah, the lines love to wash less tablecloths so they can do more passengers laundry at a $$. But no one is working less because of this. They are not relaxing. They would be cutting help.

But I want to wretch every time I see the grey bucket with the grey water with the floating food on top with the dirty rag cleaning of a tabletop that has just been vacated. And then line my table with napkins.

Actually, by far the laundry is towels and sheets. Your second point would not happen for two reasons. First is they would not do that, and second is that you don't sail on Carnival.

One more vote for "yes" here. On our last cruise, I inadvertently bumped my plate. Not even super hard. It was like the plate turned into a hockey puck, loudly sliding into and hitting another plate..."CLANG"!..That plate in turn started to careen off the table:eek:. Luckily, my husband quickly reacted and caught it before it fell to the floor :D..Great save Babe!

The new tables are without a doubt quite slippery. The plates were moving on the table very easily even with calm seas, so we were frequently readjusting them. I can only imagine what it would be like if the seas were rough.

IMHO the MDR has been downgraded. Trying to cut a food item on your plate and hold the plate steady at the same time is not "fun". It's annoying! I can only speak of our experience. Maybe these "other restaurants" that members here are speaking of don't have slippery table tops that could be likened to the surface of bowling lanes.

Carnival is quickly going forward with the reputation of being the "Casual Cruise Line", which isn't necessary bad if that's the experience they wish to market and the demographic they are targeting has no problem with the cutbacks. As guests we just have to decide what's preferable to us. We can vote with our voices and our dollars.

That being said, I don't see Carnival bringing back the nightly tablecloths. After looking at some pics of the Vista, it looks as though the steakhouse tables didn't have tablecloths either...someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you think Carnival is also going to do away with the nightly tablecloths in the steakhouses on all the ships? My thought on this is..yes..if the demographics allow it then they will.

They actually started removing the tablecloths in the steakhouses. I would be shocked to see any difference in bookings due to tablecloths.....

• Like 1

Are we sure they are sanitizing the table between services?

Not just plain water!

Another reason for a nice placemat-cloth or paper.

Are you sure it is just water? You hang out in the MDR between seatings?

• Thanks 1

They actually started removing the tablecloths in the steakhouses. I would be shocked to see any difference in bookings due to tablecloths.....

interesting. i was in the steakhouse on the valor a couple of months ago and it still had tableclothes.

[quote=Je Souhaite;49922504

But I want to wretch every time I see the grey bucket with the grey water with the floating food on top with the dirty rag cleaning of a tabletop that has just been vacated. And then line my table with napkins.

Yeah, that's just disgusting. Much better if they would spray the table with a cleaner and wipe it with a paper towel that gets thrown away immediately. With as much noro and other funky viruses floating around, you'd think they would be more cautious.

interesting. i was in the steakhouse on the valor a couple of months ago and it still had tableclothes.

I believe you. They started on the Sunshine and two other ships (names escape me) as a pilot) I believe.

Yeah, that's just disgusting. Much better if they would spray the table with a cleaner and wipe it with a paper towel that gets thrown away immediately. With as much noro and other funky viruses floating around, you'd think they would be more cautious.

Where did the grey bucket of junk come from? Sailed on an American Table ship and never saw that....

You probably should stop eating out then because this is the way many land restaurants clean the table as well.

It's a bucket filled with quat sanitizer. The rags sit in it until used and then are put back when done.

I can't remember the last time I ate at a restaurant that had table cloths. It's an outdated practice and is no more sanitary then a uncovered table. It's like gloves. It gives the appearance of cleanliness but really makes no difference. Watch a food prep person wearing gloves and look at what they touch while wearing gloves. There is still contamination.

Perhaps if one is that paranoid they should bring sanitizing wipes to dinner and wipe down the table and then request new silverware. Oh and don't ever touch anything in your cabin or sit on the toilet ever without doing the same. Forget about touching any surface at all on the ship as well. They also use buckets filled with water and sanitizer to wipe down those things too.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Perhaps if one is that paranoid they should bring sanitizing wipes to dinner and wipe down the table and then request new silverware. Oh and don't ever touch anything in your cabin or sit on the toilet ever without doing the same. Forget about touching any surface at all on the ship as well. They also use buckets filled with water and sanitizer to wipe down those things too.

Exactly.

No matter how clean things are you will come into contact with dirt and bacteria. You can't live in a bubble worrying about every little germ. Having contact with germs and bacteria actually helps your immune system.

You will never be accused of that in regards to Carnival.

I will never be accused of that in regards to any corporation. They're a product vendor. If I like their product, I may buy it. If there's something about their product that I don't like, I say it, but I will never defend a faceless corporation to the bitter end. It's ridiculous and I don't have a dog in their fight.

You probably should stop eating out then because this is the way many land restaurants clean the table as well.

It's a bucket filled with quat sanitizer. The rags sit in it until used and then are put back when done.

I can't remember the last time I ate at a restaurant that had table cloths. It's an outdated practice and is no more sanitary then a uncovered table. It's like gloves. It gives the appearance of cleanliness but really makes no difference. Watch a food prep person wearing gloves and look at what they touch while wearing gloves. There is still contamination.

not if they follow the rules.

I find myself totally surprised that the "many" who think eating without tablecloths is unsanitary and unhealthy and that the washing of uncovered tables is akin to sloshing bacteria around ever, ever, ever eat in all the other food venues on Carnival. Tablecloths on the lido deck, never seen them; tablecloths at the out door venues, ain't happenin'; tablecloths at the bars, can't remember them.

If someone is going to present an argument they need to think it out more thoroughly. If you only eat in the MDR with tablecloths you have a point, if you sit at a table with food (including your private patio) you have invalidated your own point. Better think of a better argument.

Also, if plates aren't endlessly falling off the lido deck tables why are they suddenly swimming around the table in the MDR? It's more stable at the bottom of a ship then it is 8 decks up.

• Thanks 1

They are eliminated them in the on the steakhouse as well. The Sunshine has had that way (in the Steakhouse) since she came over. Same for Breeze, it's nice! Did the Breeze with American Table and did not have any sliding plates. Sure alcohol was not a factor?

Edited by jimbo5544

Personally, I kind of like the table clothes on the tables........and for no other reason than it just makes it nice. I mean, it doesn't make the food taste any better, or the service any better.......both of which are awesome, by the way.........it just makes it nicer for dinner. I know, that's silly......but that's the way I feel. BUT, it's not going to make or break my cruise either way........Hey, I'm on a cruise after all!!! WOOHOO!!