Should Carnival bring back tablecloths each night?

Should Carnival bring back tablecloths for each night in the Main Dining Room?  

598 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival bring back tablecloths for each night in the Main Dining Room?

• YES!
    • NO!
    • Don't care...

They are eliminated them in the on the steakhouse as well. The Sunshine has had that way (in the Steakhouse) since she came over. Same for Breeze, it's nice! Did the Breeze with American Table and did not have any sliding plates. Sure alcohol was not a factor?

Nope sorry..nice try though Jimmy! ;)

I am one of those 'don't care' folks when it comes to this topic.............however............. a related but different topic regarding the MDR experience............. I'd be THRILLED to have the level of service and the choices and quality of the offerings that were 'normal' when we began cruising with Carnival. I know Carnival is the 'value brand' for Carnival Corp..........but since none of their other lines home-port OR visit our 'local' port in New Orleans.......... and airfare $$$$$, we lack those options.

I'd take a 'fare hike' to restore the MDR to what it was, even 10 years ago.

Just one man's opinion.

It's American, I have a RIGHT to be wrong :cool:

Edited by sailincajunns
grammar

I voted for table cloths. Why? If you go to a nice 3 & 4 course restaurant, you will find tablecloths. If you go to Del Friscos, you will find tablecloths. If you want the Denny's experience then don't have the tablecloths and let everyone wear shorts and tank tops. I want fine dinning and people dressed appropriately. It's not hard to at least wear a sport coat and a nice pair of slacks on elegant night.

I voted for table cloths. Why? If you go to a nice 3 & 4 course restaurant, you will find tablecloths. If you go to Del Friscos, you will find tablecloths. If you want the Denny's experience then don't have the tablecloths and let everyone wear shorts and tank tops. I want fine dinning and people dressed appropriately. It's not hard to at least wear a sport coat and a nice pair of slacks on elegant night.

Too late for that. The Carnival demographic wants casual, and that's what they got. Next up, cafeteria style dining in the MDR. No more waiters; incredible savings. Can you say Golden Corral?

Have land-based restaurants had so much discussion amongst their customers when they've retired tablecloths? Do people stop going to those restaurants because there are no tablecloths anymore?

Every nice restaurant we go to has tablecloths.

I find myself totally surprised that the "many" who think eating without tablecloths is unsanitary and unhealthy and that the washing of uncovered tables is akin to sloshing bacteria around ever, ever, ever eat in all the other food venues on Carnival. Tablecloths on the lido deck, never seen them; tablecloths at the out door venues, ain't happenin'; tablecloths at the bars, can't remember them.

If someone is going to present an argument they need to think it out more thoroughly. If you only eat in the MDR with tablecloths you have a point, if you sit at a table with food (including your private patio) you have invalidated your own point. Better think of a better argument.

Also, if plates aren't endlessly falling off the lido deck tables why are they suddenly swimming around the table in the MDR? It's more stable at the bottom of a ship then it is 8 decks up.

We were in the MDR on deck 8 mid ship on the Inspiration..Fantasy class..but the sea was very calm for our entire cruise. It was definitely the tables and condensation.

Less things to wash. As a native of Southern California I'm happy to see that Carnival has reduced water usage by no longer using tablecloths on many of its ships.

Hey, I'm on a cruise after all!!! WOOHOO!!

Heading out tomorrow on a Free cruise - no dress code, no table clothes, just lots of fresh air, scenery and lots of down to earth folks having a great day. Come join me, the Staten Island Ferry has lots of room.

Too late for that. The Carnival demographic wants casual, and that's what they got. Next up, cafeteria style dining in the MDR. No more waiters; incredible savings. Can you say Golden Corral?

Nope, but I can say bull. When and if you want to throw money on that, look me up

After reading through many many posts of people who state they will put up with most any and everything lower in quality and service just for the ability to set foot on a cruise ship, I have to credit Carnival for being the bottom of the feeding chain of cruise lines. Not quite as low as that single ship that did the 3 day cruises out of FL somewhere but close. NCL used to be the bottom but they must have realized that once they had cut everything that could be cut, they had to slowly bring back a few nice things to fill the mega ships. So congratulations to the Carnival Marketing department you have a lock of the bottom of the market, hang on, but remember the Wal-Mart model requires huge volume to make a profit.

One more vote for "yes" here. On our last cruise, I inadvertently bumped my plate. Not even super hard. It was like the plate turned into a hockey puck, loudly sliding into and hitting another plate..."CLANG"!..That plate in turn started to careen off the table:eek:. Luckily, my husband quickly reacted and caught it before it fell to the floor :D..Great save Babe!

The new tables are without a doubt quite slippery. The plates were moving on the table very easily even with calm seas, so we were frequently readjusting them. I can only imagine what it would be like if the seas were rough.

IMHO the MDR has been downgraded. Trying to cut a food item on your plate and hold the plate steady at the same time is not "fun". It's annoying! I can only speak of our experience. Maybe these "other restaurants" that members here are speaking of don't have slippery table tops that could be likened to the surface of bowling lanes.

Carnival is quickly going forward with the reputation of being the "Casual Cruise Line", which isn't necessary bad if that's the experience they wish to market and the demographic they are targeting has no problem with the cutbacks. As guests we just have to decide what's preferable to us. We can vote with our voices and our dollars.

That being said, I don't see Carnival bringing back the nightly tablecloths. After looking at some pics of the Vista, it looks as though the steakhouse tables didn't have tablecloths either...someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you think Carnival is also going to do away with the nightly tablecloths in the steakhouses on all the ships? My thought on this is..yes..if the demographics allow it then they will.

You must have been seated at the greased lightning table. :rolleyes:

After reading through many many posts of people who state they will put up with most any and everything lower in quality and service just for the ability to set foot on a cruise ship, I have to credit Carnival for being the bottom of the feeding chain of cruise lines. Not quite as low as that single ship that did the 3 day cruises out of FL somewhere but close. NCL used to be the bottom but they must have realized that once they had cut everything that could be cut, they had to slowly bring back a few nice things to fill the mega ships. So congratulations to the Carnival Marketing department you have a lock of the bottom of the market, hang on, but remember the Wal-Mart model requires huge volume to make a profit.

Lol, now there you go bottom of the barrel and Walmart in one post. You might want to check some of the "facts" but why bring reality into it. You are a funny guy

Edited by jimbo5544

There is a whole atmosphere that has changed. It is not just about table cloths. On elegant night I do not want to see yoga pants and bath robes. Any other night I don't care. It's also about behavior. Tired of curse wars over lounge chairs and line jumping. Nobody is privileged. Nobody's kids are better than others. Cruising will be better when people stop thinking rules don't apply to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Less things to wash. As a native of Southern California I'm happy to see that Carnival has reduced water usage by no longer using tablecloths on many of its ships.

It's good that Carnival doesn't have to rely on rainfall and a melting snow pack for their water supply. They just make their own as they go. ;)

You know instead of being saracastic and condescending maybe understand that ,for some people, they prefer simplicity. It's ok for some to prefer a more upscale environment just as it is ok for some to prefer a more casual environment.

I spent 15k to go on vacation to Tahiti one year. One of the most popular restaurants encouraged you to take off your shoes. And staying in a hotel where the room was almost $800 a night, not a single onsite restaurant had tablecloths. All were extremely casual. Point being that just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's fancy.

You know instead of being saracastic and condescending maybe understand that ,for some people, they prefer simplicity. It's ok for some to prefer a more upscale environment just as it is ok for some to prefer a more casual environment.

I spent 15k to go on vacation to Tahiti one year. One of the most popular restaurants encouraged you to take off your shoes. And staying in a hotel where the room was almost $800 a night, not a single onsite restaurant had tablecloths. All were extremely casual. Point being that just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's fancy.

This poster likes Cunard as their line of choice, nuff said.

Edited by jimbo5544

There is a whole atmosphere that has changed. It is not just about table cloths. On elegant night I do not want to see yoga pants and bath robes. Any other night I don't care. It's also about behavior. Tired of curse wars over lounge chairs and line jumping. Nobody is privileged. Nobody's kids are better than others. Cruising will be better when people stop thinking rules don't apply to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I don't really care what people wear. I am approving of comfortable clothes and letting people vacation how they like. I see zero reason to participate in formal evening where waiters dress in costumes during servivce and dance to gangnam style. Tacky and reduces the quality of service. Why do I need to dress up in formal wear on a short cruise where they replaced lobster with ravioli?

But I like the table cloths because they appear neater to me. And that is pleasing. They also do slightly dampen noise. That is pleasing to me. And as some pointed out they provide traction for dishware in pitching see. So that is practical which I also find pleasing. I also believe fresh laundered tablecloths are cleaner than a table that may or may not have been sanitized properly.

So to me tablecloths and formal wear are completely mutually exclusive.

Maybe if they had placemats that provided grip I would be agreeable to that.

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

This poster likes Cunard as their line of choice, nuff said.

Good point. It appears based on their posting history that they go from board to board telling people how to dress and behave.

They also said children should be seen and not heard and only speak when spoken to. :rolleyes:

I'll take "bottom of the barrel" carnival over a ship that has people on it with that attitude any day of the week.

• Thanks 1

Good point. It appears based on their posting history that they go from board to board telling people how to dress and behave.

They also said children should be seen and not heard and only speak when spoken to. :rolleyes:

I'll take "bottom of the barrel" carnival over a ship that has people on it with that attitude any day of the week.

Amen, or book the rooms around them with my grandkids. That would be entertaining to watch.

• Haha 1