Should Carnival bring back tablecloths each night?

Should Carnival bring back tablecloths for each night in the Main Dining Room?  

598 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival bring back tablecloths for each night in the Main Dining Room?

• YES!
    • NO!
    • Don't care...

John Heald is once again posting on his blog about tablecloths, and how the tables look 'brilliant' without them. If you care, reply to the poll and I will share the results with him.

Edited by manmachine
More information...

Not only do I not care I don't care if they get rid of them on elegant night. They can even get rid of elegant night.

Plus it's better for the environment not having to wash them.

Edited by rawley2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I care very little. As a kosher cruiser I eat on paper plates with plastic utensils. If I have a table cloth under or not, really doesn't affect how fancy I feel.

We'd like tablecloths back so that water from glasses and carafes doesn't pool and drip all over your clothes ... and so if the ship is rocking things don't slide around as easily.

Also, silverware is placed on the bare table - who knows how many times the rag that wipes it clean has been used. I'm not a germophobe but it makes me uncomfortable. At least at home I know where the rag has been :D

• Like 2

Yes. In addition bring back the butter knife and a spoon.

Agree. Plus salad fork. We also like a place for flatware to rest. I find myself becoming possessive of my single fork and wanting to guard it!:)

• Haha 1

John Heald is once again posting on his blog about tablecloths, and how the tables look 'brilliant' without them. If you care, reply to the poll and I will share the results with him.

if you have to care to reply to the poll why is there an option for 'don't care' :confused: :D

btw, i voted yes, i would like to see them return. it's not a big deal to me but the table seems nicer with them on than off.

• Like 1

I don't think that Carnivsl Cruise Line is a good choice for people who like the finer things in life such as tablecloths, butter knives and salad forks. They will self select themselves off Carnival by voting with their feet and choosing a cruise line more in sync with their tastes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think that Carnivsl Cruise Line is a good choice for people who like the finer things in life such as tablecloths, butter knives and salad forks. They will self select themselves off Carnival by voting with their feet and choosing a cruise line more in sync with their tastes.

When in the world did tablecloths, butter knives and salad forks become synonymous with the finer things in life. That lifestyle started dying in the 60s and pretty much has breathed its last breath. I'll make an a** of myself and assume that 95% of households don't set the table (if they set a table) with anything more than a single fork, a single knife, and a single spoon. All the little niceties don't seem to make food taste any better, for me at least.

I'll also make and a** of myself and state that a rousing majority of cruisers no longer cruise to play dress-up and psuedo rich....they cruise for fun and enjoyment and activities and relaxation. Most young kids have never seen a table cloth (except maybe for Thanksgiving dinner at Great Grandmas).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Voted don't care. Not sure where all this about the carafe's and glasses sliding around on the table. The carafe is in a little holder that absorbs any condensation, so no worries on that count. The glasses are stemmed and any condensation is on the actual glass not underneath it. We didn't have any issues with the glass wear sliding around the table without a tablecloth.

Firmly don't care.

I'm still as fascinated by those appalled at the possibility of getting a drop of condensation on their clothing as I am by those whose vacations would be ruined if they didn't have the comfort of knowing there was a full bucket of ice melting in their cabin awaiting their return twice a day.

• Haha 1

Aside from (perhaps because of) environmental benefits, the trend has been to eliminate tablecloths in much of the fine dining industry.

Any cost savings (corner-cutting) would take a long time to materialize since they had to install new tabletops for use without tablecloths.

• Thanks 1

Have land-based restaurants had so much discussion amongst their customers when they've retired tablecloths? Do people stop going to those restaurants because there are no tablecloths anymore?

It's trendy, so I doubt it. :D

I don't really mind the looks of the tables without the clothes because they are nice looking tables.

However, I don't like things moving on the table. This past January on Glory we had some rough seas. We had b'fast in the MDR in the back of the ship. Our S & P shakers would race to the edge of the table. There is a very slight lip on the edge so they didn't fall off. We got in our amusement for the day!!! lol