FTTF Disasterous waste of money

Don't "not try" Princess just because you have kids; my pre-teen likes Princess more than Carnival. He is an active kid and I think they do a better job than Carnival at having a more energetic program. My teenage son, of course, prefers the Carnival bikinis, but also really liked Princess. They are more similar than different - like going to Target vs. Walmart. You can get what you need at either, the former is just going to be a slightly more "upscale" experience with less of the herd, me-first pushing and shoving mentality. We will sail Princess again, with or without the kids when the price and destination are right!

Hmmm , thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out. Booked on a 4 day with my DD in August, but perhaps I will check what Princess has to offer, didn't even look at them. I have only sailed Carnival and Celebrity which is like night and day. Prefer Celebrity by far, but like the value of carnival.

I purchase FTTF for two reasons, to get on the boat a little earlier and for priority tendering. If I felt that was not honored, I would go to guest services and ask that I be refunded or credited $60. If they said anything but yes sir right away, then yes I would remove $60 in tips.

Buy FTTF. Remove all tips. Spend the savings on daily drinks and bingo. 😀

I purchase FTTF for two reasons, to get on the boat a little earlier and for priority tendering. If I felt that was not honored, I would go to guest services and ask that I be refunded or credited $60. If they said anything but yes sir right away, then yes I would remove $60 in tips.

Makes no sense at all to remove tips, just the FTTF refund is warranted. Also it makes no sense tnat you're on a boat, however Carnival does have lifeboats on their SHIPS.

A boat, lol :eek:

Edited by ObstructedView2

Oh, boy, another urban myth. "They cut the A/C off"? Really? Why? Because it saves $10 per cabin and then costs $20 to re-cool that same cabin?

I will bow to your expertise but the amount of cool air flow is reduced. When the hallways are cooler than dining areas, I am leaning towards an altered volume. Also during the day, cabins have less flow. I know daytime warming and all that. Maybe next time I can bring an anemometer and dangle from the ceiling diverter.

I'm Platinum and have been totally forgotten on Paradise and Sunshine when debarking.

On Paradise we were led the wrong way and stood in a hall for over 35 minutes. When she finally came back for us she apologized over and over, led us to get off but there was a huge line of people from different decks who wouldn't stop and let any of us in (can hardly blame them). Her boss was really mad about it. We finally had to just power our way off. The boss wouldn't cut into the line.

On Sunshine they never called for Platinum/Diamond who weren't self assist but went from P/D-self to early flights to decks 1 through 6. Our rather large group finally just starting getting off or we might still be there.

None of the complaints OP had were related to service from staff so not sure why he'd even think about cutting tips. Ask for a refund of FTTF fee.

Maybe I am missing something, but every Carnival cruise I have been on, non-self assist Diamond/Platinum/FTTF went after self-assist for all was completed.

Diamond/Platinum/FTTF Self-Assist

Self-Assist (called by deck)

Diamond/Platinum/FTTF Not Self-Assist (Generally Zone 1 and 2)

Not Self-Assist Zone 3 - XX (called by zone lowest to highest)

Last call for stranglers

Maybe I am missing something, but every Carnival cruise I have been on, non-self assist Diamond/Platinum/FTTF went after self-assist for all was completed.

Diamond/Platinum/FTTF Self-Assist

Self-Assist (called by deck)

Diamond/Platinum/FTTF Not Self-Assist (Generally Zone 1 and 2)

Not Self-Assist Zone 3 - XX (called by zone lowest to highest)

Last call for stranglers

Yes, that's right. Ours just got screwed up. I have been on ships when decks were called instead of zones which made no sense. Decks 1, 6, 7. ??

Just off Conquest and the list of issues is lengthy but FTTF was a total bust. We were at checkin at 945 and were 4th seated in the FTTF area (what a joke area). We sat there until 1230 before boarding started. A mysterious Coast Guard Inspection delayed boarding. Someone's relative up on ship, n wheelchair, waiting, said they could not board because a wedding was taking longer than expected (you be the judge). Anyways, the place is packed and a bunch of people that just arrived (35-50) are milling around the roped off area and then when they open up to start boarding they just gang rush and absolutely no one made a peep to stop them. Later in the week, we went to GC to get priority tender on HMC because there was a huge line wrapped around the hallways and this tool at the desk said to just go down, no waiting, he was just there. I told him he was wrong but he wasn't helping. So we went down stairs and ran into a large line. At this point I'm ready to remove gratuities because it's been just that kind of trip (out of 10) but we figured it will help us getting off in FLL. Had to report to Renoir at 730 being FTTF. The ship got into port late. This ship is late coming, going and standing still. We sit in the restaurant until 930 as self assist and others get off. We had Zone 2. 930 I had enough and we picked up our overnight bag and walked out and off ship. They dinged us out, nobody blinked and on the road by 10. Just ridiculous. There is no controls on this ship at all. Don't waste your money.

There was a guy right next to us in the FTTF section who got up and was threatening to go to John H's FB page and write that he wasn't any fun, because of the CG delay. My wife and I about lost it, listening to all the b****ing going on around us.

We saw this same fellow a few times during that cruise and he never did look like he was having any fun.

Walking off the ship as self-assist and into that zig zag cluster of people queued up to go through customs. What a freaking mess.

It sure looked like a zoo in the waiting lines for Customs at the FLL pier.

I was glad that I had my Global Entry card to show for that priority line, as I walked right up to the Customs desk, absolutely no wait at all.

Not many cruisers were taking advantage of this easy way to bypass massive lines. Why someone would pay $60 for a one time FTTF and not get the 5 year Global Entry is beyond me.

But the less people have it at both the air and cruise ports, the easier it is for me to get past the crowds.

Coast Guard inspections are not necessarily announced and can be a surprise inspection.

Of course if I was boarding a ship undergoing USCG inspection and had FTTF I would use the FTTF line at Customer Service and remove the tips for my wait and cabin staff ASAP. Thank goodness I got FTTF to do that.

Now I'm interested in this Global Card. Could you point me to the site to apply? Thanks.

While doing the cattle yard, we had a long conversation with our porter. He said that pier is the worst he has worked at. Always slow. Always only a couple of Agents (there were 3) and they stop the line frequently allowing for the flow to remain steady. Don't know how true this is but someone will chime in. The porter said, a passenger can disembark at any point and the ship can not refuse to let you off. So one can get off the ship immediately with no recourse. Maybe this is a well kept secret. It used to be the porters had a special line they could get through fast and why we used them/ But that has been done away with because the Agents complained they were working too hard (good one).

Coast Guard inspections are not necessarily announced and can be a surprise inspection.

Of course if I was boarding a ship undergoing USCG inspection and had FTTF I would use the FTTF line at Customer Service and remove the tips for my wait and cabin staff ASAP. Thank goodness I got FTTF to do that.

And depending on the performance of the crew at the drill, and the particular areas that the current USCG inspector feels is important, the drill can be done over, and over, and over, taking the entire crew out of their daily turn-around routine for hours. I would say that USCG inspections are typically announced to the ship, so that the cruise line can arrange for shore side assistance to turn the cabins if needed. USPH inspections, however, are totally unannounced.

I was glad that I had my Global Entry card to show for that priority line, as I walked right up to the Customs desk, absolutely no wait at all.

Not many cruisers were taking advantage of this easy way to bypass massive lines. Why someone would pay $60 for a one time FTTF and not get the 5 year Global Entry is beyond me.

But the less people have it at both the air and cruise ports, the easier it is for me to get past the crowds.

Saw that while in line and commented to my wife that we need to look into that. As I've posted before, FTTF was an experiment. Not sure it would have value to us in the future. But bypassing the zoo to go through customs would be a huge time saver.

Now I'm interested in this Global Card. Could you point me to the site to apply? Thanks.

While doing the cattle yard, we had a long conversation with our porter. He said that pier is the worst he has worked at. Always slow. Always only a couple of Agents (there were 3) and they stop the line frequently allowing for the flow to remain steady. Don't know how true this is but someone will chime in. The porter said, a passenger can disembark at any point and the ship can not refuse to let you off. So one can get off the ship immediately with no recourse. Maybe this is a well kept secret. It used to be the porters had a special line they could get through fast and why we used them/ But that has been done away with because the Agents complained they were working too hard (good one).

Google is your friend.

Globalentry.gov

Best thing we have done in a while

Google is your friend.

Globalentry.gov

So, after doing just a quick little bit of research, it looks like the Global Entry Fee is $100. The best part about this would seem to be that it gives you the travel number needed to qualify for TSA Pre-Check, which is itself $85. DH & I have been thinking about doing the pre-check for air travel, but it certainly would make sense to pay the $15 more for Global Entry. I hope I've read this correctly.

We went to the Epic Rock show and I thought it was a lip sync contest. I enjoyed the music but the theatrics were underwhelming.

I thought I was the only one that felt that way. I've never been a fan of the Playlist Productions. I think the video screen is a cop out. I lived the 80's and remember when these songs first came out and the performers did not do them justice. If you are going to do the rock legends, you have to own it, not half-ass it.

Edited by CRJ700

Even in ideal situations, fttf is a complete waste of money. This is coming from someone who has gotten it, so my opinion is not out of thin air.

That said, ship inspections will always hold up boarding. Nothing can be done about that. And an experienced cruiser should know not to pack a steamer.

Enjoy Princess if that's what makes you happy.

and as a user of fttf myself, i completely disagree with your incorrect fact. fttf may be a complete waste of money to you but for me it was a a godsend.

Waiting on my interview, Ive been scheduled since February. I got interested after waiting an hour and a half in FLL. No line at all at GE kisok.

Edited by CRJ700

Saw that while in line and commented to my wife that we need to look into that. As I've posted before, FTTF was an experiment. Not sure it would have value to us in the future. But bypassing the zoo to go through customs would be a huge time saver.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

I use the global entry card whenever I travel, including domestic flights. I had TSA precheck and priority at 5 am in Palm Springs last week while the plain TSA precheck line snaked through the airport. I would have missed my 6am flight if I didn't have the G.E.

U S Customs keeps adding dedicated G. E. lines in cruise ports, so it becomes invaluable when debarking a ship.

As I noted earlier, if someone is willing to spend $60 for a one time perk like FTTF, the fee for a 5 year G.E. is a bargain in comparision.

I hate to put this info out here, if more cruisers get G.E., my wait time may increase!

So, after doing just a quick little bit of research, it looks like the Global Entry Fee is $100. The best part about this would seem to be that it gives you the travel number needed to qualify for TSA Pre-Check, which is itself $85. DH & I have been thinking about doing the pre-check for air travel, but it certainly would make sense to pay the $15 more for Global Entry. I hope I've read this correctly.

Wish I had known about Global Entry. We did buy TSA Precheck last year & paid the $85 fee. I would have done this instead if I'd known about it.

Google is your friend.

Globalentry.gov

I was waiting to pick up grand daughter after school and did just that. Not sure the wife could get the time off for interview. Here is very restricted on days and times but it looks like the perfect thing to have.