Alcohol in the Neptune Lounge

On our last two RCI cruises, Med (oct) and Aus/NZ (march) we found the demographics to be the same as Celebrity and similar to HAL. But, these were smaller RCI ships, not big ones, and it was outside of prime vacation time.

The Med cruise was first rate-as good as the best Celebrity, HAL, and Princess cruises( in all respects) that we have enjoyed. The Diamond lounge/benefits made them even better. It was where we had breakfast each morning and pre dinner drinks in the evening.

Edited by iancal

I don't either, but I do see Celebrity as a direct competitor. We've traveled in "entry-level" suites on both lines (Sky Suite and Signature Suite). We are 3-star Mariners and "Elite" category with Celebrity.

Celebrity offers major incentives for passengers to move up to the suite experience and we love all the extra perks (given even at that entry level) so we continue to book their suites. On HAL, the only benefit was a bit more space, so we did not bother to book a suite for our next cruise.

HAL is charging its high-end suite passengers who qualify for the Neptune Lounge for a drink at an honor bar? I was so surprised to read that today.

Yes, it was there on our last cruise. It's a nice set up but drinks are a full price. No happy hour prices,etc. It's just a matter of convenience I think for get togethers and parties.

Wonder how long this will last. People will cheat the system, and HAL will pull the plug on it.

It's only there when the concierges are and they were watching and also pouring drinks. I don't think there are a lot of "cheating" options. It's just an option on board. And a nice one for those that might be chatting or whatever.

They also used it for a Suite party one night. Last cruise was our first time to see it.

It's only there when the concierges are and they were watching and also pouring drinks. I don't think there are a lot of "cheating" options. It's just an option on board. And a nice one for those that might be chatting or whatever.

They also used it for a Suite party one night. Last cruise was our first time to see it.

I wonder if the drinks in the Neptune Lounge are covered by the SBP? Does anyone know?

RCI not a competitor with HAL? For our age, RCI certainly is, as are a number of other cruise lines including, but not limited, to Celebrity, Carnival, etc.

Based on the demographics of our last two RCI cruises I would say that they are competitor. And if HAL does not think so that may point to a larger issue at HAL.

Very much depends on the ship and the itinerary. Short list on our last Med cruise included HAL and Princess. We chose RCI because it was a one way from Rome-Barcelona, had a some ports that we wanted, and great one way cruise air home. We enjoyed the cruise so much we shopped them again in Australia.

No children at home, in our early sixties, and travel frequently. As were the vast majority of fellow cruisers on both cruises. No drunks, no wild parties, but lots grey hair and many well travelled people...at least ones that we met. As many tuxs' and long gowns as we have seen on any cruise line ( at least in the Diamond lounge, optional dining venue, bars, and public areas of the ship) with the exception of Crystal. Never made it to Bingo or to the climbing wall...if they had one. Those cruises changed our opinion of RCI or at least our opinion of those RCI ships. The new huge ships do not appeal to us but we may try one out at some point just to experience one for ourselves.

Edited by iancal

I wonder if the drinks in the Neptune Lounge are covered by the SBP? Does anyone know?

You have to sign for your drinks, (charged to the room) so I don't see how they would be covered by SBP. Similar to signing for water when you get off the ship and not being able to use your beverage card.

I would ask on board though since things can change ;)

Edited by kazu

Post #9 in this thread says you can use your SBP card, at least on the Oosterdam on the poster's cruise. May vary, I suppose...

Edited by PSR

Post #9 in this thread says you can use your SBP card, at least on the Oosterdam on the poster's cruise. May vary, I suppose...

That would be great! However, I will believe it when I see it as I think it would be hard for them to set this up.

That would be great! However, I will believe it when I see it as I think it would be hard for them to set this up.

Whether you buy a drink in the bar with your SPB card our someone adds the drink to your account from the Neptune Lounge, the system knows who has SPB and you should be able to get them to credit the amount. I'll be questioning them on our cruise which has the SPB promo next year. :D

RCI does have a very generous liquor policy in their Diamond, Diamond Plus, etc lounges. And you do not have to buy a suite. It is an entitlement based on past cruises-either RCI or Celebrity.

The big BUT is that we find RCI liquor prices to be among the highest of all the cruise lines that we have been on. Certainly higher across the board than either HAL or Princess. Plus, RCI price everything in USD or at least they did on the cruises that we enjoyed. This served to further increase the cost to us vis a vis other cruise lines operating from the same port...in our case Sydney.

We had an honor bar in the NL on the Oo'dam in January, but I don't think it came out until late afternoon. I think how hard the concierge wants to work, combined with how many people ask why it's not out, may determine availability. That being said, I got hooked a couple cruises ago on the HAL Tanqueray 10 Signature Martini. Give me a good bartender and a SBP! :)

We will be on the Oosterdam in November, so that is one more thing to look forward to. And, we also have been hooked on the Tanqueray 10's - my favorite gin or vodka martini. Do they actually make them from Tanqueray gin and Tanqueray 10 vodka on the HAL ships? I never saw one made.

We will be on the Oosterdam in November, so that is one more thing to look forward to. And, we also have been hooked on the Tanqueray 10's - my favorite gin or vodka martini. Do they actually make them from Tanqueray gin and Tanqueray 10 vodka on the HAL ships? I never saw one made.

They do. I've watched more of mine made than I probably should admit. Here's their recipe:

Holland America Line's Tanqueray 0010 (Double O Ten) martini

Serves 1

Ingredients:

-- 1/8 oz. Grand Marnier

-- 1 oz. Tanqueray Ten Gin

-- 1 oz. Vox Vodka

Garnish: Long, orange twist tied with a loose knot

Preparation:

Rinse a pint shaker glass with Grand Marnier and dump the excess. Fill

the glass with ice and measure in gin and vodka. Shake well and strain into

chilled martini glass. Garnish the rim of the martini glass with the orange

twist. Cheers!

If too "orangey" or sweet, they're taking a short cut and just pouring some GM in and shaking it up along with the gin and vodka.

Edited by blizzardboy

They do. I've watched more of mine made than I probably should admit. Here's their recipe:

Serves 1

Ingredients:

-- 1/8 oz. Grand Marnier

-- 1 oz. Vox Vodka

Preparation:

twist. Cheers!

If too "orangey" or sweet, they're taking a short cut and just pouring some GM in and shaking it up along with the gin and vodka.

Try as they iwll never pleasseall THr peopl e All the time. iIf a suite guest p[refers 'X', They certainly have the choice to book '" them RATHER THAN HAL. Why should we expect all cruise lines should be the sa me ofer the same/?aS SOMEONE WHO has sailed Nep[tune suites since Statendam first joined the fleet,I applaaud Hal FOR THIS CHANGE. i think it a positive improvement

Edited by sail7seas

Try as they iwll never pleasseall THr peopl e All the time. iIf a suite guest p[refers 'X', They certainly have the choice to book '" them RATHER THAN HAL. Why should we expect all cruise lines should be the sa me ofer the same/?aS SOMEONE WHO has sailed Nep[tune suites since Statendam first joined the fleet,I applaaud Hal FOR THIS CHANGE. i think it a positive improvement

I applaud the honor bar in the NL, and I don't always drink the same thing. I was being a bit silly in the earlier post regarding "give me a drink pkg", etc. I was missing my favorite HAL martini. I've been a Marriott customer for most of my life and love their Concierge Lounges with the honor bar. Skip the Happy Hour hub bub and pour a stiff one!

Edited by blizzardboy

On our last two RCI cruises, Med (oct) and Aus/NZ (march) we found the demographics to be the same as Celebrity and similar to HAL. But, these were smaller RCI ships, not big ones, and it was outside of prime vacation time.

The Med cruise was first rate-as good as the best Celebrity, HAL, and Princess cruises( in all respects) that we have enjoyed. The Diamond lounge/benefits made them even better. It was where we had breakfast each morning and pre dinner drinks in the evening.

Thanks for your comments on RCI. We've sailed Celebrity, HAL and Princess, but not RCI yet. It is always helpful to hear comments from recent passengers of a line we might not be familiar with. Often times on CC (various boards), people comment on one cruise line or another based on perceptions, and not actual experience. Good to have some first hand reports on RCI.

Serves 1

Ingredients:

-- 1/8 oz. Grand Marnier

-- 1 oz. Vox Vodka

Preparation:

twist. Cheers!

Thank you!

One thing we did not like about RCI was the high price of drinks and their pricing in USD also makes it expensive for us. We did two cruises. Princess and RCI, from Sydney last year. Two weeks in between them.

The drink that we paid $8 AUD on Princess was priced at $10 and $12 USD on RCI. This prices translated to $12.50-$15 AUD. A significant difference that made the complementary drinks on RCI even more appreciated. But we still felt it was a rip off as did many of the Austraians on the cruise. Fortunately we do not drink very much.

RCI may not compete with HAL in all markets but as a mass market cruise line they certainly do on select itineraries, select number of days.

Edited by iancal

I find it VERY odd that drinks in the Neptune Lounge are NOT complimentary. The suite life on HAL is not very sweet. These days airlines, hotels and cruise lines are all upgrading the experience for their premium guests. An honor bar WITH a service charge is not the right direction.

I find it VERY odd that drinks in the Neptune Lounge are NOT complimentary. The suite life on HAL is not very sweet. These days airlines, hotels and cruise lines are all upgrading the experience for their premium guests. An honor bar WITH a service charge is not the right direction.

Well, it IS an improvement and a move in the right direction since there was no alcohol at all in the Neptune Lounge previously. One step at a time ;)

At the end of the day it is just another revenue opportunity minus the bartender/server costs.

Do they add a gratuity charge on to this self serve?

Yes

Go back to post #6 where I posted pictures and you will see at the bottom in one of the pictures the service charge note.

At the end of the day it is just another revenue opportunity minus the bartender/server costs.

A little cynical don't you think? It's a nice, quiet opportunity to have a drink in comfortable surroundings, away from the thundering herd. I don't need a bartender unless we want blender drinks or something exotic.