Alcohol in the Neptune Lounge

I find it VERY odd that drinks in the Neptune Lounge are NOT complimentary. The suite life on HAL is not very sweet. These days airlines, hotels and cruise lines are all upgrading the experience for their premium guests. An honor bar WITH a service charge is not the right direction.

There's lots of cruise lines. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to choose HAL...

There's lots of cruise lines. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to choose HAL...

Exactly. No onee is forc ed to paerffcfcrrrrtake. It is nice to have the option, IMO.

I see you're your usual snarky self. The poster made a pretty good point and doesn't deserve your ridicule.

Spot on, bb!!! Ya gotta love the consistency of some CCers. If they can't be "right", they turn to "snarkiness", insults and ridicule.

Edited by avian777

I think adding a service charge to something to mix yourself is excessive, but I guess it's "the system."

While free drinks would be nice, it can't happen with the current Neptune lounges. If all the NS and Pinnacle suites are booked, that's over 100 people "eligible" for the Neptune Lounge on a Vista ship. From what I've heard from a friend who sails a line that does give free drinks in a suite/loyalty lounge, some people arrive for happy hour(s) and stay until the booze is put away. OK, so not all 100 would do that, but even if half of the NS passengers showed up at the same time, the place would be mobbed.

I think adding a service charge to something to mix yourself is excessive, but I guess it's "the system."

While free drinks would be nice, it can't happen with the current Neptune lounges. If all the NS and Pinnacle suites are booked, that's over 100 people "eligible" for the Neptune Lounge on a Vista ship. From what I've heard from a friend who sails a line that does give free drinks in a suite/loyalty lounge, some people arrive for happy hour(s) and stay until the booze is put away. OK, so not all 100 would do that, but even if half of the NS passengers showed up at the same time, the place would be mobbed.

I agree - the Neptune Lounges are not large enough to handle free drinks IMO. On the larger HAL ships there are more like 150 people (give or take) in Neptunes. And of course, some people will take full advantage of it.

Now maybe if HAL limited it to one or two drinks per person it could work, as many people would just take them back to their cabin.

I agree - the Neptune Lounges are not large enough to handle free drinks IMO. On the larger HAL ships there are more like 150 people (give or take) in Neptunes. And of course, some people will take full advantage of it.

Now maybe if HAL limited it to one or two drinks per person it could work, as many people would just take them back to their cabin.

You only have to attend one reception in the NL to realize it's size (and A/C) limitations. IMO, the honor bar isn't designed to replace the bars and their happy hours. It is handy if you want a couple of quick drinks to take to your suite or one before dinner. I view it as a nice convenience. Most NS customers aren't there for a bargain.

You only have to attend one reception in the NL to realize it's size (and A/C) limitations. IMO, the honor bar isn't designed to replace the bars and their happy hours. It is handy if you want a couple of quick drinks to take to your suite or one before dinner. I view it as a nice convenience. Most NS customers aren't there for a bargain.

No one has mentioned this, but if you want a mixed drink, won't the mini-bar in your cabin work as well? Especially if you are 4 or 5 Star and get 50% off. Of course you would not have all the ingredients.

No one has mentioned this, but if you want a mixed drink, won't the mini-bar in your cabin work as well? Especially if you are 4 or 5 Star and get 50% off. Of course you would not have all the ingredients.

We're just 3-Star so it hadn't occurred to me. I don't know if they have top-shelf liquor in the mini-bar (honestly never looked) like on the NL bar cart, but I do know the way I pour, I'd use a minimum of 2 and probably 3 of those little minibar bottles in a drink. Your allowed to stutter when you do a pour count at the NL bar cart.

We're just 3-Star so it hadn't occurred to me. I don't know if they have top-shelf liquor in the mini-bar (honestly never looked) like on the NL bar cart, but I do know the way I pour, I'd use a minimum of 2 and probably 3 of those little minibar bottles in a drink. Your allowed to stutter when you do a pour count at the NL bar cart.

DH likes the scotch in the mini bar on occasion ;). We do get the discount so if he wants a scotch or beer out of it, no problem as long as I know to keep the "tally" ;)

As to pouring in the NL, there is a shot glass and I think that was why the concierge was pouring on our cruise - to prevent "generous" pours without paying for them ;).

We didn't personally get a drink in the NL. Just talking to fellow passengers and the concierge ;).

Personally, it would be nice at happy hour if they had happy hour prices. Would beat running to the Crow's Nest or Ocean Bar. To me, that would be more than sufficient a "perk" for the NS or PS.

In any case, I think it's nice it's there now. It's a convenience and just because we didn't use it last time, doesn't mean we won't next time;)

Edited by kazu

DH likes the scotch in the mini bar on occasion ;). We do get the discount so if he wants a scotch or beer out of it, no problem as long as I know to keep the "tally" ;)

As to pouring in the NL, there is a shot glass and I think that was why the concierge was pouring on our cruise - to prevent "generous" pours without paying for them ;).

We didn't personally get a drink in the NL. Just talking to fellow passengers and the concierge ;).

Personally, it would be nice at happy hour if they had happy hour prices. Would beat running to the Crow's Nest or Ocean Bar. To me, that would be more than sufficient a "perk" for the NS or PS.

In any case, I think it's nice it's there now. It's a convenience and just because we didn't use it last time, doesn't mean we won't next time;)

I never used a shot glass when I tended bar as a young man. Speed dictated you learned to pour by count, silent of course. For a good customer, you "stuttered" on the count. I was being a little facetious, like normal, but after posting I figured someone would accuse me of being insensitive to the condition or not being "honorable".

Edited by blizzardboy

I never used a shot glass when I tended bar as a young man. Speed dictated you learned to pour by count, silent of course. For a good customer, you "stuttered" on the count. I was being a little facetious, like normal, but after posting I figured someone would accuse me of being insensitive to the condition or not being "honorable".

Nope wasn't accusing you at all. Sorry if it sounded that way.:o. that wasn't my intention at all!!

It was just a heads up ;). Things change.

LOL on the count - I was a waitress and bartender in my University years as well. I can still pour a proper drink without a shot glass. DH insists on it when he pours ;)

Nope wasn't accusing you at all. Sorry if it sounded that way.:o. that wasn't my intention at all!!

It was just a heads up ;). Things change.

LOL on the count - I was a waitress and bartender in my University years as well. I can still pour a proper drink without a shot glass. DH insists on it when he pours ;)

Kazu, you aren't one I ever worry about having hidden agendas. Good fun and thoughtful posts are your standard fare. I didn't feel "accused" whatsoever. I've always said, "I'm an equal-opportunity offender - no one's safe!" With a motto like that, you'd better have thick skin and a good sense of humor, because "what goes around...".

Edited by blizzardboy

I see you're your usual snarky self. The poster made a pretty good point and doesn't deserve your ridicule.

Pls explain to me, then, why those who constantly knock HAL continue to sail on it's ships...

Kazu, you aren't one I ever worry about having hidden agendas. Good fun and thoughtful posts are your standard fare. I didn't feel "accused" whatsoever. I've always said, "I'm an equal-opportunity offender - no one's safe!" With a motto like that, you'd better have thick skin and a good sense of humor, because "what goes around...".

LOL, you quoted me so I feared I said something that was misinterpreted ;)

Wasn't my intention at all.

My skin has gotten thicker over time, but when no insinuation was intended, I still like to clarify. Fully confess that my skin is just not thick enough :p:D;).

Edited by kazu

Pls explain to me, then, why those who constantly knock HAL continue to sail on it's ships...

You have to remember this forum is for kudos, bitchin', or sharing information about a cruise line. You can't take someone's criticism of HAL personally. Me calling you snarky was probably a little terse, but then you tend to get a little terse when defending HAL against all comers.

I took her remarks as constructive criticism of HAL. I love HAL, but like me, they're hardly perfect or without need for improvement or fresh ideas. HAL's Neptune Suites are a huge monetary bargain compared to other lines, but the amenities offered on other lines are more substantial. That being said, you can't get a king bed in a lot of other line's suites, or only in their priciest units, and I still think HALs crews and ships are superb.

Edited by blizzardboy

If HAL had better suite perks we would have booked one instead of a veranda cabin. So, since we have a long overnight flight we spent our money on seats up front. BTW cocktails are, of course, complimentary in the premium cabin. [emoji3]

If HAL had better suite perks we would have booked one instead of a veranda cabin. So, since we have a long overnight flight we spent our money on seats up front. BTW cocktails are, of course, complimentary in the premium cabin. [emoji3]

You really think you aren't paying for those drinks? Think of the price difference between business class and, say, economy plus - how many drinks could you buy with that?

Yes their is a price difference Dak. Is there any airline which doesn't have drinks included in the premium cabin? It just seems that HAL would do well to elevate their suite perks to match, or even better, their competitors. Look how NCL has catered to their suite guests with the Haven. High income guests are accustomed to a certain quality level of product and service. That would mean drinks included in the Neptune Lounge. When I take my Honda in for service they have a waiting area with a coffee machine and bottled water. When I get the Infiniti or Lexus serviced the waiting area has Starbucks, Macs to use, and freshly baked organic pastries. HAL needs to match Celebrity and Cunard.

Yes their is a price difference Dak. Is there any airline which doesn't have drinks included in the premium cabin? It just seems that HAL would do well to elevate their suite perks to match, or even better, their competitors. Look how NCL has catered to their suite guests with the Haven. High income guests are accustomed to a certain quality level of product and service. That would mean drinks included in the Neptune Lounge. When I take my Honda in for service they have a waiting area with a coffee machine and bottled water. When I get the Infiniti or Lexus serviced the waiting area has Starbucks, Macs to use, and freshly baked organic pastries. HAL needs to match Celebrity and Cunard.

I'd agree with you - if HAL weren't selling out their suites.

I've looked at suite deals on about every line out there, and I still think HAL offers a great value in their Neptune Suites. If you price comparable accommodations, many lines want twice the price, or more. Could HAL offer more amenities? Of course, but it won't happen for free. Butlers and private dining don't do that much for me as long as I have the Pinnacle, Tamarind, or the MDR, as we've enjoyed them all. I hear enough "elitist" remarks in these discussions as it is, without separate dining. The ships offering private enclaves are usually much larger than HAL ships, and the size of HAL ships is a plus in my mind. I like the Neptune Lounge very much, but it doesn't come close to having the space to make it work as a Happy Hour watering hole. Having the Honor Bar is a nice convenience, but if it became free, I think you'd see the NL overwhelmed. I'd rather pay for my drink, have a seat at a table with room to enjoy it.

Edited by blizzardboy

I've looked at suite deals on about every line out there, and I still think HAL offers a great value in their Neptune Suites. If you price comparable accommodations, many lines want twice the price, or more. Could HAL offer more amenities? Of course, but it won't happen for free. Butlers and private dining don't do that much for me as long as I have the Pinnacle, Tamarind, or the MDR, as we've enjoyed them all. I hear enough "elitist" remarks in these discussions as it is, without separate dining. The ships offering private enclaves are usually much larger than HAL ships, and the size of HAL ships is a plus in my mind. I like the Neptune Lounge very much, but it doesn't come close to having the space to make it work as a Happy Hour watering hole. Having the Honor Bar is a nice convenience, but if it became free, I think you'd see the NL overwhelmed. I'd rather pay for my drink, have a seat at a table with room to enjoy it.

Well put, BB

Once we select a ship the comparator is no longer other lines but rather the price delta from a verandah to a suite.

Everyone has different value propositions. We discount the items that have no value to us, place a value (to us) of the items that do have a value, and then look at the bottom line based on our budget and compared to other options on that ship. Value is more often the driver for us, not price. We are willing to pay if we perceive that the value for us is there.

Everyone may have different perceptions of what should be included based on other experiences. So our decisions on value, and our final cabin selection will be different. So far we have passed. But who knows, perhaps a great upsell will come our way one day. For us, paying full pop for these benefits does not clear the bar.