Gratuities-can we remove them and pay cash and if so what currency is appreciated

The cover charge for specialty restaurants includes the gratuity. So they get to keep it. (of course that does not mean that the workers in the specialty restaurant don't have their own side understanding to pool any extra tips)

But if I give above the cover charge? do they pool it? What about the WJ guy? does he have to pool it?

Not understanding that at all. So if I give a server in specialty restaurant money, they have to pool it? If I tip my lunch waiter at WJ, he has to pool it?

True story.... Again I'm speaking with a small amount of insider knowledge here knowing someone who works on a ship.

It's actually a terminable offense if anyone gets caught keeping cash tips. ANYONE. Watch close if you tip at a bar ever. Goes straight into a bucket behind the bar.

Hence why the whole auto grats makes the most sense. Period.

Edited by Powersboyee2

True story.... Again I'm speaking with a small amount of insider knowledge here knowing someone who works on a ship.

It's actually a terminable offense if anyone gets caught keeping cash tips. ANYONE. Watch close if you tip at a bar ever. Goes straight into a bucket behind the bar.

I think people would be much less likely to give extra tips to favorite servers if they knew that it's all strictly pooling. Because then you are not really rewarding personal service, you are paying (pooling) for the guy who didn't tip.

Edited by marci22

But if I give above the cover charge? do they pool it? What about the WJ guy? does he have to pool it?

As far as if you give above the cover charge I think you could assume they keep it but they might not. The workers in the specialty restaurnant might have an agreement among themselves to pool. As for the WJ I doubt they pool it because the WJ is not generally where passengers tip. I have been on 54 cruises and I never saw any passengers tipping in the buffet. I expect the amount of tips workers recieve there is minuscule. But I don't know for sure. They might have to turn it in there too.

Edited by Charles4515

I think people would be much less likely to give extra tips to favorite servers if they knew that it's all strictly pooling. Because then you are not really rewarding personal service, you are paying (pooling) for the guy who didn't tip.

I believe this also is part of the reasoning behind the overall decline in service at not only the bars, but the MDR…

Quite possible. I always assumed that the tips were pooled as they are in a restaurant (some goes to the bartender, some goes to the hostess, some goes to the bus boy, and the server keeps the rest). However, in restaurants the amount of pooled tip is usually some percentage of the bill and not on the actual tip amount. So if I give a large tip I presume that not all of it is pooled. I don't know if the cruise lines do this but some restaurants do. Thus it seems possible to reward someone with an extra tip even if some of it is pooled.

That is why I leave the auto gratuities on and don't worry about it. No reason to take them off and make it more complicated for myself and have to think about who I should tip, and what amount.

To tip or not to tip that is the question [emoji12] Joke. We are cruising next week and this time around will be removing the auto-tipping. I do not like the fact RC have done Auto- Tipping. Like other posters have said here and on other threads tipping is a choice. In the past we have pre-paid and also paid by cash at the end of the cruise. Next week we will be paying by cash, I enjoyed handing over that envelope.

There is always a long line at guest services on the first day I wonder how many people in that Que will be removing the auto-tips?

As i said before i worked in many food establishments as a cook, never ever received pooled tips. Thats why we as cooks got paid more than the servers.

Which is the basic source of some of the "no tipping" restaurants appearing in places like NYC (still too few to dent the industry). In some of the higher end places, the servers, bussers, sommelier, etc., can end up making more money than the chefs as in at least some states, management is prohibited from splitting tips with them. Upping the overall charges for the meals, raising overall pay, and cutting out tipping balances that out.

I for one assume all tips are pooled in some shape, form, or fashion. Social groups have a tendency to deal with those pariahs who don't play by the accepted norm...

And back to the OPs actual question: Yes, but if you're going to tip anyway, it's just so much simpler to stick with the autograts. Let the cruise line worry about the currency it pays its employees in (which I'm guessing is EFT to a bank they can access).

These discussions are always amusing. You can always tell those who have worked in an industry where tips are part of their wage and those who haven't.

I worked in restaurants for many years.

Many people who remove auto tips simply want to tip as they wish. Since RC has provided so many specialty dining venues, I can't blame them for wanting to tip those people, rather than auto tip MTD servers.

I think that Royal has put people in an awkward position with this. I don't want to tip MTD servers, and then tip again for other venues. I'm basically contributing to the pool twice, and paying for those cruisers who choose not to tip.

imo, my only option is to remove tips and tip as I wish, or leave tips in place, and not tip extra for the other venues. I would prefer to tip the servers I am dealing with.

Edited by marci22

Many people who remove auto tips simply want to tip as they wish. Since RC has provided so many specialty dining venues, I can't blame them for wanting to tip those people, rather than auto tip MTD servers.

I think that Royal has put people in an awkward position with this. I don't want to tip MTD servers, and then tip again for other venues. I'm basically contributing to the pool twice, and paying for those cruisers who choose not to tip.

imo, my only option is to remove tips and tip as I wish, or leave tips in place, and not tip extra for the other venues. I would prefer to tip the servers I am dealing with.

The reason the cruise lines have gone to auto tips and pooling is because there are so many venues. Now passengers don't have to figure it out.

There is no work around. Your tips are going to be pooled whether you leave them on or take them off auto gratuity. And yes they are in effect pooling the passengers who don't tip since that effect gets spread out.

Personally I am on vacation and I don't want to carry around cash and figure out how much to give to individuals in different venues. I am fine with the auto grats. Makes it easy.

That's right! If the company is going to give you the option of screwing over their employees, you should take it, and blame the company for trusting that to their customers. :cool:

Funny do you really think Zane cares what you are i think.If anyone is screwing their employees it is royal.Now if you are worried about what Royal does to their employees,TIP MORE. :D :) :p

To tip or not to tip that is the question [emoji12] Joke. We are cruising next week and this time around will be removing the auto-tipping. I do not like the fact RC have done Auto- Tipping. Like other posters have said here and on other threads tipping is a choice. In the past we have pre-paid and also paid by cash at the end of the cruise. Next week we will be paying by cash, I enjoyed handing over that envelope.

There is always a long line at guest services on the first day I wonder how many people in that Que will be removing the auto-tips?

I think you'd find that most people wait until the last night to remove their grats- they get excellent service all week and then feel indignant that they have to pay for it....:rolleyes:

I'm personally fine with the auto gratuity and then tipping extra where I deem worthy. The $13 a day in auto tips is still well under the amount of service you actually receive on a cruise.

Precisely our approach too.

I can say with 100% certainty that people removing gratuities is not the reason for a line at GS ever.

I would assume those people wait til the middle of the night so they don't have to whisper what they want to do to the guest services person to avoid everyone else hearing how lame they are. I'd be ashamed in doing such a thing that's for sure.

Edited by Powersboyee2

I thought that if you directly gave cash to someone, they got to keep it. I doubt people would tip for 'above and beyond' if they knew it went into a pool.

It's my understanding (and I may be wrong) that if you leave auto grats in place and give cash extra they get to keep it but if you remove auto grats and give cash it goes into the pool

What if you never eat in the MDR? Should those servers get tips for not serving you? I agree with being able to remove the auto gratuities. In fact, I did it last week and tipped cash to the people who gave me great (and average) service. Yes, even in the Windjammer. I also left some on my account for the other people who helped make my cruise great but, I never actually met. I think that the people that are waiting on you will extend better service if receiving cash. It really doesn't bother me to carry cash around. I can see how, for some, it's easier to leave them on. That's great and easier for some people. I strongly believe that the level of service received goes up a notch or two when you give people cash. Also, many people do not realize that they can remove the gratuity. In the end, it's up the the purchaser the amount that they tip. I've only been cruising 3 years, 6 sailings. I've had top-notch service and just average service. I'd be interested to hear what long time cruisers think. Has the level of service dropped since auto gratuities came about?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What if you never eat in the MDR? Should those servers get tips for not serving you? I agree with being able to remove the auto gratuities. In fact, I did it last week and tipped cash to the people who gave me great (and average) service. Yes, even in the Windjammer. I also left some on my account for the other people who helped make my cruise great but, I never actually met. I think that the people that are waiting on you will extend better service if receiving cash. It really doesn't bother me to carry cash around. I can see how, for some, it's easier to leave them on. That's great and easier for some people. I strongly believe that the level of service received goes up a notch or two when you give people cash. Also, many people do not realize that they can remove the gratuity. In the end, it's up the the purchaser the amount that they tip. I've only been cruising 3 years, 6 sailings. I've had top-notch service and just average service. I'd be interested to hear what long time cruisers think. Has the level of service dropped since auto gratuities came about?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well I mean it is like 3 whole dollars a day....

What if you never eat in the MDR? Should those servers get tips for not serving you? I agree with being able to remove the auto gratuities.

The thing is, though, that all of the MDR staff work shifts in the WJ and other areas. We have seen our waiter, assistant waiter, and Head Waiter all serving in the Windjammer buffet. Removing your tips because you didn't eat in the MDR means the staff who should have received the tips will not, and those whom you tip in cash in the WJ are actually being double-tipped, if you will. Does that help a little bit? Hope so. :)

you were way too early

True, seems the mods have been letting threads alone for a bit before the inevitable lock.

Biker, who didn't foresee this particular thread as the tipping thread du jour.